Spondylosis

What was the treatment for your spondylosis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Fletch, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I was diagnosed at 41 with spondylosis following acute sciatic pain. After one year of chiropractic treatment, physical therapy, steroid injections, and pain pills - and depression associated with sciatic pain any time I was on my feet for more than a few minutes and weakened left leg - I had decompression and fusion at L5 S1. Surgery was done over 13 years ago and other than an occasional flare up from certain activities, I live a pain free life with very few changes in lifestyle. But, I do make sure to keep the core strong to support my back.

Comment from: Nadja, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 13

I had been diagnosed with thoracic facet syndrome and thoracic spondylosis. I had a nerve burn (radio frequency ablation) to the T10, T11, T12, and L1 which gave me 6 years of incredible relief, after suffering for 2 years going from doctor to doctor until I found my miracle worker. I reinjured my back 40 days ago and have been reminded of the debilitating pain and lifestyle I had previously lived through. I had cortisone injections in my facet joints a week ago, but I have received no relief. In fact, it appears my pain is exacerbated. I am not sure why they did not work and feel despondent. I wonder if anyone else has my condition, it would sure be nice to compare notes. Ice, lying down (with my upper torso twisted) and muscle relaxants greatly ease the pain. I am usually not in pain in the morning, but that changes with movement. I wear a back brace during my waking hours as talking, sneezing, living, etc., greatly intensify the pain.

Comment from: Shortie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

The spine doctor sent me to physical therapy for spondylosis and it did not help. I am seeing a chiropractor, and it is not helping. But if I lie in bed all day it usually helps. But as soon as I get up and move around I start hurting really bad. The pain is so excruciating I can hardly walk.

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

Physical therapy was working well for my spondylosis. The exercises they gave me helped reduce the pain and strengthen the muscles. My problem came when I exercised with such vigor that I gave myself a hernia. Warning to the older generation; all things in moderation. My next step is surgery.

Comment from: Emily, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: February 07

Neurologists and orthopedic physicians have diagnosed my habit, leaning forward to walk, as camptocormia, and have not offered cause or treatment possibilities. MRIs show spondylosis. I've never had any pain along my spine, but for about ten years I have had to lean forward while walking. I am much worse than before. It is not possible for me to stand up straight to walk. When I try, my thighs do not support my torso; my belly seizes up; I am breathing harder; it is hard work to put one foot ahead of the other. I have not walked normally for a decade.

Comment from: RS, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I am 26 year old female. One year ago I had severe right hand carpel tunnel syndrome and had to undergo surgery. After this my life has not been back to normal and I was recently told I had lumbar and cervical spondylosis and that I have lost strength in my upper limbs. As a result of this my lifestyle has changed and it's a constant struggle. I have now been sent to do physiotherapy for the rest of my life and was told if I stop my conditions can worsen very quickly.

Comment from: dena, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I was just diagnosed with spondylosis. I wonder if there is a natural way or some type of exercise to help with this condition. I really can't afford a lot of medication.

Carragee, E.J. "Persistent Low Back Pain." The New England Journal of Medicine 352 (2005): 1891-1898.

Deyo, R.A. et al. "Herniated Lumbar Intervertebral Disk." The New England Journal of Medicine 374 (2016): 1763-1772.

Hochberg, M.C., et al. Rheumatology, 4th ed. London: Elsevier, 2008.

Ropper, A.H., and R.D. Zafonte. "Sciatica." NEJM 372 (2015): 1240-1248.

Rothschild, B.M. "Lumbar Spondylosis." Medscape. Apr. 19, 2011. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/249036-overview>.