Spondylosis

Please describe your experience with spondylosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Laurie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have multilevel degenerative spondylosis in my lower back L5 to S1. I've had nothing but pain in my lower back and left buttock daily. My insurance (Medicaid) won't pay for any back or spinal injections. I have done everything, pain management, water aerobics, acupuncture and tried many muscle and pain killers to try to handle the pain. I'm now having to see a counselor because the pain is depressing. I've appealed twice for surgery, they wait until the last day to approve or deny so now I have to have a hearing. I was told by Medicaid if I had private insurance it would be paid for. I'm learning slowly there are worse days than others. Most days I can't do anything.

Comment from: Patient, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

I have been living with spondylosis for the last ten years and these days I can barely stand or kneel for long periods of time. Shopping is also out of my schedule as I get pain if I walk for more than an hour. And as someone who enjoys walking and running this has been a hard adjustment to make. I try to exercise as much as I can.

Comment from: Fighting for myself, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 20

For the last 3 months, I have been suffering from nausea, dry heaving, and pain under my breasts around my ribs. After a bunch of doctor appointments and tests, my gastroenterologist told me it's spondylosis in my back that was causing my problems. I was wary of that conclusion. However, after doing research, it's a real thing. I have been referred to a neurosurgeon. I wonder if anybody else has any experience with this.

Comment from: Shortie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

Living with spondylosis has been a living agony for me. For the past year I haven't been able to do yard work, house work, or go for long walks. I'm not able to do much of anything. I used to go shopping for long periods of time. Now I can only shop for maybe an hour or hour and half till I'm ready to lie down. It really is awful being me.

Comment from: emedicine heakth, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I am a hypertensive person and taking antihypertensive drugs daily. I usually have pains at the back of the neck and at the lower back. For my spondylosis I have been taking pain killers, prescribed by doctors, and liniment but the pain still persists.

Comment from: Angad yadav , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

Spondylosis is seen at L4 and L5.

Comment from: Belms, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I have been in so much pain with spondylosis. I cannot believe it, to top it off I also just got an x-ray, on my lower left side, at the emergency room and the doctor thinks I may have Infection in my lung. I am literally crying from the pain. No sleep last night, I want a good night's sleep, hopefully tonight.

Comment from: Ceci, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had an MRI and diagnosed with spondylosis of the thoracic spine 5 years after having a car accident. By that time my pain was so bad and still is chronic. I have tried everything. As it is, even if I lie down my back hurts, and I can't sleep on my left side due to rib pain that radiates, which leads to very limited sleep. I asked a good back surgeon and he told me that years ago thoracic surgery use to be done. But the benefits were not good. I work in a hospital so I know this doctor does a lot of surgeries most doctors won't touch. He told me surgery can't be done to help and condition, and I went to an orthopedic pain specialist. I had already had regular epidurals and this doctor wanted to do radiofrequency neurolysis, the insurance denied the request, due to medical studies which have shown that these treatments are not effective. Laser surgery is advertised, I don't know if that would help. Perhaps it is just because it is the thoracic spine and they don't want to touch that area. I'm in pain every day, while taking Norco, Cymbalta, and Valium, along with extra Tylenol or whatever is in the house.

Carragee, E.J. "Persistent Low Back Pain." The New England Journal of Medicine 352 (2005): 1891-1898.

Deyo, R.A. et al. "Herniated Lumbar Intervertebral Disk." The New England Journal of Medicine 374 (2016): 1763-1772.

Hochberg, M.C., et al. Rheumatology, 4th ed. London: Elsevier, 2008.

Ropper, A.H., and R.D. Zafonte. "Sciatica." NEJM 372 (2015): 1240-1248.

Rothschild, B.M. "Lumbar Spondylosis." Medscape. Apr. 19, 2011. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/249036-overview>.