Viewer Comments: Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Infection):

Staph Infection - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last?

Comment from: Braveheart123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I first caught an abscess under my armpit then this turned into a full body staph infection. I was so upset that I had these nasty puss bags over my body. I had around 3 on my legs and cold hardly walk. When it was all said and done, I went to the doctor who did some very expensive tests. I got prescribed the direct antibiotics that I needed.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was hospitalized 60 days over a period of five months. I had no idea that I had a staph infection. My doctor and I thought it was sciatica. After a week of intense pain, my hand swelled up. I went to urgent care and the doctor sent me to the emergency room. Within two hours, I was in the first of 13 surgeries. The infection spread all over my body. I learned later that the infection started in my hip, which was the largest area of abscess. I have since had to have my hip replaced and also had a rib removed and clavicle bone. I am still on antibiotics a year later. I am very lucky to have survived.

Comment from: pips, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with staph today, after 3 weeks of symptoms.

Comment from: Staph Buster, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

An itchy bump formed just below my kneecap. I thought it might be an insect bite. I went to the doctor five days later after trying antibiotic ointment. The doctor laughed and said I need antibiotics, and that it was staph, I was wasting time with the ointmen. She said this is serious stuff and doesn't just go away. Fortunately, I caught it early and took antibiotics now it's healed. It got nasty though before better. Go get checked, catch it early it's worth the co-pay, believe me.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My husband has been told he is a carrier of staph. Up until this last year he hadn't shown any signs of it. But this year he has had eruptions on posterior and now a sore as you describe on his leg. Wound care specialists have treated him all summer, and doctor most recently put him on a drug. He did not tolerate it well, and wound up hospitalized.

I have had a staph infection for more than 20 years. My doctors have been unable to get rid of it.

Comment from: Husband, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My wife had HA-MRSA and was hospitalized twice before getting better. She had about two weeks in the hospital in a 3 week period. As of now she has not had any additional problems but we are extremely concerned as she is scheduled for a knee replacement in January. According to her surgeon, they plan on taking precautions prior to surgery to help reduce the risk of infection. I pray he is correct...

Comment from: Pat, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: July 26

I am a healthcare worker and a MRSA (methicillin-resistant staph aureus) carrier. I have worked in hospitals, nursing homes and clinics for almost 20 years. I do not know when I got MRSA and did not find out until I had to have a minor infection lanced at the doctor's office and it was cultured. The culture grew out MRSA. I was immediately put on antibiotics. Two weeks later I had a nasal swab for MRSA and it was still positive for MRSA. My doctor said there was no point in giving me a lot of antibiotics for it since I had no symptoms (by this time the original infection had healed) and my immune system kept it in check. I have to be very meticulous about hand-washing, though, and cleanliness, especially around patients. If I touch my face, I have to wash my hands immediately afterwards. I double glove all the time. I wear a mask much of the time, although MRSA is spread by contact and not by breathing on someone. I don't want to be responsible for spreading it to my patients. The last statistic I read was that about 40% of healthcare workers are MRSA carriers; that is, they have it, as I do, but do not have symptoms. I hope it never becomes active.

Comment from: Young Guy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My 20 year old son went in for varicose veins on one leg to be repaired. Four days later, he had pain, severe pain, and went to the emergency room, where they said it was just inflammation. They gave him medication sent him home. In the following days, he was still in pain, and he went back to the emergency room, where they said it's infected and gave him more medication, instructing him to come back to ER every 8 hours. I finally demanded a doctor. After the doctor looked at him, he told me that my son was not going home and that he needed to stay in hospital. Four weeks and 5 operations later, he still is in hospital with a high fever, huge ulcerated skin on his leg, three inches in diameter, with two tubes out of his groin area. He is very depressed worried he will lose leg. He is on all sorts of antibiotics, and he had to have his lungs drained due to fluid in them. Five times they have debrided areas of his leg. Last one they hope they got the infection under his knee in a crevice. This is serious stuff.

Must Read Articles Related to Staphylococcus

Chickenpox
Chickenpox Chickenpox (varicella) is a highly learn more >>
Epiglottitis
Epiglottitis Epiglottitis a medical emergency and death may result if not treated promptly. Causes of epiglottitis include:
  • infectious,
  • traumatic, and...
learn more >>
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes
Life-Threatening Skin Rashes Rashes are very common conditions and can have many causes. Most rashes are not dangerous but rather are merely nuisance illnesses. learn more >>

Staph Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a staph infection.

Staph Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your staph infection?