Staph Infection (Staphylococcus Infection)

How long did the symptoms of your staph infection last? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sandy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

I have 2 very rare autoimmune diseases and as a result, have little to no immunity against staph and strep (chronically low complement cascade). I've had life threatening infections since age 2, but as I've gotten older, they are more frequent and more severe. For many of them there is no trauma, no cut, blister, etc., and the doctors say I get them from microscopic breaks in my skin. They come on rapidly. I can literally go to bed fine without any idea something is brewing and wake up at 1 or 2 am in severe pain. They come so fast and are so bad my doctor starts me on antibiotics before seeing me. In the last 4 years I've been hospitalized 3 times between 6 to 11 days each time for IV Vanco and had to have tendon wash out surgery each time which leaves me with permanent loss of function and range of motion. I'm always discharged on IV antibiotics for anywhere from 2 to 6 weeks. I just had another bad infection right on the ankle joint in the front of my leg, without any visible cause, but managed to stay out of the hospital. It was exceedingly painful as anytime pressure was put on the foot, it compressed the infection. On the plus side, the compression caused the site to explosively rupture and drain which stopped the redness from spreading which at that point was right below my knee cap. I try to avoid the hospital like the plague due to the permanent function losses every hospitalization has caused. This last 1 started during the night of 8/29th. The doctor first started Keflex; 48 hours later switched to cephalexin, and 96 hours later switched to Zyvox which cleared up the acute infection. It is now 24 days since the whole thing started and I still don't feel like myself. Thank goodness the nausea is gone and my appetite is slowly returning, but I'm still not me. I lost somewhere between 10 to 15 lb. during this infection.

Comment from: tracy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have had 12 surgeries in as many years and now have staph infection all over my skin. It started 2 years ago and traveled from my legs all the way up to my arms and back and breasts. I am sick most of the time and get sores in my mouth, nose and private areas. I am allergic to sulfa drugs so many antibiotics have been tried. I am sick of this! My multitude of problems range from cancer to hernias and removal of 7 feet of intestine. I got turned down for disability. I am going to die from this! I moved from Florida to Ohio and my new doctor's answer is to cut my pain medications to about a third and trying to take me off. No hope left for me, my pain is unreal!

Comment from: Hola, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I had gone to see my doctor about some open sores, he gave me antibiotics, and sent me home. Well, that was May 9, I saw it wasn't getting better, so I went back to my doctor. I saw a different doctor who said it is a staph infection. Now it has spread to my face where they look like little red dots.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 24

I gave birth to my son in 1987 and had toxemia due to staph infection. I am 52 years old and still have it. I am miserable and it is very painful because I have all over my body, especially in my vaginal area. I have been miserable through the years.

Comment from: jtk1977, (Patient) Published: October 14

My war on staph: I got this nasty infection last year in the worst place you can get it for a guy: the groin. I went to the hospital and they had to operate. Luckily they caught it in time. The sad part about it is I was unemployed and had no health insurance at the time. They only gave me a limited amount of medicines to treat it. This is where I had to learn the hard way. I ended up getting re-infected with more than 13 on my body at a time. I finally came down with a system to help prevent and neutralize boils. This does not replace a doctor though, as a disclaimer. There aren't many manuals out there on preventing re-infection, so I'll try my best here. This infection is not environmentally friendly and should not be treated as such. If you want to get rid of it, then you'll need to be exceptionally clean. Do not use washcloths in the shower (this can spread it over your body more). Do not take baths; showers are better. Use anti-bacterial bar soap to minimize the spread. When you towel off, dry the affected areas last. Do not reuse your towels or clothing. Wash your hands any time they come into contact with sores or anything discharging from your skin, again, anti-bacterial soap is preferred. After toweling off, make sure you have the following: PRID Homeopathic Drawing Salve, Boil Ease (painkiller), Tea Tree Oil, bandages (choose something that covers the affected area so whatever oozes out doesn't spread to another part of the body), and Q-Tips. I changed my bandages twice a day. I applied the first set straight out of the shower in the morning. The PRID, boilease, and tea tree oil would be applied to the bandages via the Q-Tip so as not to infect the medicine itself and placed over the areas that were either forming or discharging. If the bandages are a dark red when you pull them off, then it is working. Strip all bed sheets and pillows or any cloth your skin comes in contact with and get them washed, trashed, or burned. You can buy those anti-bacterial hand and face wipes to help clean furniture. Lysol also works but read the instructions before you apply as to how long you need to let it set because it can irritate your skin and lungs.

Comment from: Braveheart123, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I first caught an abscess under my armpit then this turned into a full body staph infection. I was so upset that I had these nasty puss bags over my body. I had around 3 on my legs and cold hardly walk. When it was all said and done, I went to the doctor who did some very expensive tests. I got prescribed the direct antibiotics that I needed.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 22

I was hospitalized 60 days over a period of five months. I had no idea that I had a staph infection. My doctor and I thought it was sciatica. After a week of intense pain, my hand swelled up. I went to urgent care and the doctor sent me to the emergency room. Within two hours, I was in the first of 13 surgeries. The infection spread all over my body. I learned later that the infection started in my hip, which was the largest area of abscess. I have since had to have my hip replaced and also had a rib removed and clavicle bone. I am still on antibiotics a year later. I am very lucky to have survived.

Comment from: pips, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I was diagnosed with staph today, after 3 weeks of symptoms.

Comment from: Staph Buster, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

An itchy bump formed just below my kneecap. I thought it might be an insect bite. I went to the doctor five days later after trying antibiotic ointment. The doctor laughed and said I need antibiotics, and that it was staph, I was wasting time with the ointmen. She said this is serious stuff and doesn't just go away. Fortunately, I caught it early and took antibiotics now it's healed. It got nasty though before better. Go get checked, catch it early it's worth the co-pay, believe me.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 29

My husband has been told he is a carrier of staph. Up until this last year he hadn't shown any signs of it. But this year he has had eruptions on posterior and now a sore as you describe on his leg. Wound care specialists have treated him all summer, and doctor most recently put him on a drug. He did not tolerate it well, and wound up hospitalized.

I have had a staph infection for more than 20 years. My doctors have been unable to get rid of it.

Comment from: Husband, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 17

My wife had HA-MRSA and was hospitalized twice before getting better. She had about two weeks in the hospital in a 3 week period. As of now she has not had any additional problems but we are extremely concerned as she is scheduled for a knee replacement in January. According to her surgeon, they plan on taking precautions prior to surgery to help reduce the risk of infection. I pray he is correct...

Comment from: Pat, 45-54 (Caregiver) Published: July 26

I am a healthcare worker and a MRSA (methicillin-resistant staph aureus) carrier. I have worked in hospitals, nursing homes and clinics for almost 20 years. I do not know when I got MRSA and did not find out until I had to have a minor infection lanced at the doctor's office and it was cultured. The culture grew out MRSA. I was immediately put on antibiotics. Two weeks later I had a nasal swab for MRSA and it was still positive for MRSA. My doctor said there was no point in giving me a lot of antibiotics for it since I had no symptoms (by this time the original infection had healed) and my immune system kept it in check. I have to be very meticulous about hand-washing, though, and cleanliness, especially around patients. If I touch my face, I have to wash my hands immediately afterwards. I double glove all the time. I wear a mask much of the time, although MRSA is spread by contact and not by breathing on someone. I don't want to be responsible for spreading it to my patients. The last statistic I read was that about 40% of healthcare workers are MRSA carriers; that is, they have it, as I do, but do not have symptoms. I hope it never becomes active.

Comment from: Young Guy, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

My 20 year old son went in for varicose veins on one leg to be repaired. Four days later, he had pain, severe pain, and went to the emergency room, where they said it was just inflammation. They gave him medication sent him home. In the following days, he was still in pain, and he went back to the emergency room, where they said it's infected and gave him more medication, instructing him to come back to ER every 8 hours. I finally demanded a doctor. After the doctor looked at him, he told me that my son was not going home and that he needed to stay in hospital. Four weeks and 5 operations later, he still is in hospital with a high fever, huge ulcerated skin on his leg, three inches in diameter, with two tubes out of his groin area. He is very depressed worried he will lose leg. He is on all sorts of antibiotics, and he had to have his lungs drained due to fluid in them. Five times they have debrided areas of his leg. Last one they hope they got the infection under his knee in a crevice. This is serious stuff.

My symptoms started after laporoscopic surgery I delveloped what I was told a skin yeast infection given a topical ointment and I would be fine three weeks later the infection near one of the portal inscisions healed, but I started feeling very ill. I could not keep food down or in, I then went to my family Dr. told him I was having severe pain, could not eat w/o getting physically ill, I was having terrible lower abdominal pain and I was tired, I just ached all over, he questioned if I had a drug problem, I wanted to scream. For the next month and a half I was on a strict regimine of bananas, jello, and some days I could tolerate toast, and water. Then I noticed a pimple on my face, I attempted to pop it with no luck the next day that area of my face was slightly swollen, being a holiday I just hot packed it, and could not get enough sleep. The following morning I awoke to half of my face swollen four times it actual size I could barely talked I again went to the Dr. Another physician in the office put me on antibiotics and refered me to a plastic surgeon to have the area lanced. I had it lanced and drain put in on wednesday and now four days later it is still there. I have carefully cleaned dressed and redressed the site numerous times everyday, I finally started to feel better and actually ate real food today with no stomach problems. However, I noticed another pimple inside my vaginal area and now I have an active infection there as well. I go tomorrow to hopefully have drain in my face removed and the vaginal area checked, I have been in contact with both Dr. today and they have already told me I may end up in the hospital.

Comment from: tinkerdale1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

It may be still continuing four years later! The staph infection invaded my spinal cord where they say it is VERYI HARD to get rid of. I am due for another MRI now and will get within the next week or so. Before I was diagnosed my staph began with a surgery in Jan 2006 and was not diagnosed until November (Thanksgiving) 2006.

• Staph Infection - Treatment

What was the treatment for your staph infection?

Post View 14 Comments
  • Staph Infection - Experience

Please describe your experience with a staph infection.

Post View 16 Comments

Herchline, T. "Staphylococcal Infections." Medscape. April 7, 2017. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/228816-overview>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Staphylococcus aureus Infections." Oct. 15, 2007. <http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/submenus/sub_staphylococcus.htm>.