Steroids: Types and Side Effects: Steroid abuse is common in athletes in professional sports. Androgenic/anabolic steroids regulate the manufacture of testosterone in the ovaries and testicles. Signs and symptoms of anabolic steroid abuse include rapid weight gain, acne, increased aggressiveness, and unusual mood swings.
Must Read Articles:
Cushing SyndromeCushing's syndrome is a disorder caused by prolonged exposure to high levels of corticosteroids. Causes include prolonged use of steroid medications, adrenal tumors, pituitary tumors, and other tumors. Symptoms include weight gain, skin changes, muscle weakness, and psychological problems. Treatment involves surgery, radiation, or medication.
Drug Dependence & AbuseDrug dependence is the physical need for a certain substance. Drug abuse and dependence comprise a huge public health problem with no easy treatment available.
High Blood Sugar (Hyperglycemia)High blood sugar (hyperglycemia) is when the body's blood sugar rises. Blood sugar levels can be measured using a blood glucose meter. Diabetes mellitus is a common cause of high blood sugar. Symptoms include dry mouth, thirst, frequent urination, and fatigue. Treatment includes diet, exercise, and medications
Repetitive Motion InjuriesRepetitive motion injuries are among the most common injuries in the United States. They include tendinitis, carpal tunnel, bursitis of the joints, and others. Exercises, NSAIDs, and cortisone injections are some of the treatments for repetitive motion injuries.
Rotator Cuff InjuryRotator cuff injuries may be caused by acute injuries, chronic overuse, or from gradual degradation of the muscle and tendon. Symptoms include swelling, pain, and decreased range of motion. Rest, ice, immobilization, and pain medication are recommended in the treatment of a rotator cuff injury. Surgery may also be needed.
Cushing Syndrome Cushing's syndrome is a disorder caused by prolonged exposure to high levels of corticosteroids. Causes include prolonged use of steroid medications, adrenal tumors, pituitary tumors, and other tumors. Symptoms include weight gain, skin changes, muscle weakness, and psychological problems. Treatment involves surgery, radiation, or medication.
Expert Views and News
- Some Dietary Supplements Tied to Severe Outcomes
- High Blood Pressure, Steroids May Worsen Lupus
- Nasacort Allergy Spray Can Go OTC, FDA Panel Says
- Some Teens Risk Health to Build Muscle
- Spine Infections Hit Fungal Meningitis Survivors
- FDA Finds Mold, Germs at Compounding Pharmacy
- Back Pain? Steroid Shots May Raise Fracture Risk
- Meningitis Crisis Expands; More Infections, Deaths
- Fungal Meningitis Outbreak: 13,000 Tainted Shots
- 4 Dead From Tainted Steroid Injections
- Death Count Rising in Meningitis Outbreak
- Mild Asthma Patients May Do OK With Less Steroids
- FDA Approves New Inhaler for COPD
- Doping With Muscle-Building Drugs: FAQ
- Some Dietary Supplements Linked to Liver Damage
- Expert FAQ: Dealing With Excess Body Hair
- Experimental Treatment May Help Relieve Back Pain
- Pills as Effective as Inhalers for Asthma
- Weight Lifters Turning to Human Growth Hormone