Stomach Cancer (cont.)
Stomach Cancer Prevention
- It is felt today the number of stomach cancers has decreased because of the following:
- Improved socioeconomic standards
- Widespread use of refrigeration for food preservation
- Adoption of diets rich in fruits and vegetables
- In areas where frequency of stomach cancer remains high, such as Japan, screening programs that include upper GI barium studies and, more recently, gastrointestinal endoscopy have improved survival rates. Evidence does not support mass screening of populations with lower rates of stomach cancer.
- Eliminating Helicobacter pylori infection in people with peptic ulcer disease also may decrease rates of stomach cancer.
- It has been suggested that people who had portions of their stomachs removed 20 years ago or longer should receive yearly endoscopies. This is because of the increased risk of stomach cancer following such surgery.
Stomach Cancer Pictures
The stomach lies between the esophagus and small intestine in the upper abdomen. Click to view larger image.
This photograph of an adenocarcinoma of the lower part of the stomach was taken through a gastroscope and demonstrates the typical appearance of a gastric tumor with a central area of ulceration. Click to view larger image.
Medically reviewed by Jay B. Zatzkin, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Medical Oncology
"Clinical features, diagnosis, and staging of gastric cancer"
Last Reviewed 11/20/2017
Robert J Fingerote, MD, MSc, BSc
Scott H Plantz, MD, FAAEM
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to Stomach Cancer
Cancer: What You Need to Know
Cancer is a common and deadly disease, and it's surrounded by myths. There are certain basics a patient needs to know when they're confronted with a learn more >>
Chemotherapy or "chemo" is a treatment for cancer. Depending on the type of cancer an individual has, it can cure cancer, control cancer. or ease cancer symptom...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Stomach Cancer: