Viewer Comments: Strep Throat - Experience

Anatomy of a Sore Throat:Distinguish Common Sore Throat From Strep

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Experience

Tell us your experience with strep throat.

Comment from: jennifer, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 10

I have never known strep throat symptoms, a few days ago in the middle of the night I had a burning feeling inside my throat and I felt rare pain in throat and ear also. In the morning I thought I got a sore throat so I did some home remedies to cure it, but this didn't help me at all. And after a day I got some red spots on my neck, it was more painful and I had a severe fever that day. I rushed to the doctor and was diagnosed with strep throat, and he prescribed me antibiotics to take.

Comment from: PB, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: May 02

I just got over a horrible case of strep throat. I am 42, and apparently I am in the 5 to 10 percent of adults who get a terrible case of it. It hit me like a freight train all at once at night. My throat swelled horribly, lymph nodes too, and was red. I couldn't swallow. My whole body ached 10/10 and the worst part was the headache. I could barely move. I got to the doctor right away and test came right back as positive for strep. They put me on penicillin and by the 3rd dose swelling in throat started to subside. Aches subsided about 12 hours later but, 2.5 days later, I still had headaches off and on. The odd thing was, in the beginning I didn't have a fever, but after swelling in throat started to subside, then I started to get a fever. Highest was 101 and fluctuated for 2.5 days from 99.5 to 101. My symptoms are pretty much gone now (3.5 days on penicillin), but I feel like I was run over by a truck. Nasty experience.

Comment from: chloe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 29

I have had a sore throat for 3 days. I have a large white spot on one side of my tonsils. I cannot even eat, it hurts so much. The doctor said he is not sure if it is strep but he gave me antibiotics anyway. I do not have a fever and have not had strep in 30 years.

Comment from: 007chef, 35-44 (Patient) Published: October 05

I am 37 years old, diagnosed with strep throat! What seemed to be a weekend getaway with the wife, and little cousins blowing up balloons with laughter turned out to be a terrible weekend. Strep throat for eight days with enormous pain. I had unbearable throat pain with ravaged tonsils and fever. It beat me down. If one truly acquires real strep throat, yikes! It may seem like it will never end, however thankfully there is light at the end! Humbling experience.

Comment from: Amy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

Strep throat is one of the most painful experiences I am currently having. At first I just thought I had a sore throat, but when anti-bacterial cough lollies, and various gargles didn't give me any relief I went to the doctor and found out my pain was strep. I experienced body aches, and joint pains, lethargy, blocked ears, acid taste in the back of my throat, mucus build up in the back of my throat, which I couldn't clear because it was too painful to cough, I couldn't swallow because of the pain it caused and I couldn't eat because of the pain it caused. It is the most painful throat I have ever had. I was also vomiting up mucus, and had loss of appetite. Nasty thing to get, but it's been about 12 hours since I started antibiotics, and my throat is still very sore, but I have noticed that it feels a little better. I am hoping I will wake up tomorrow feeling much better.

Comment from: Midwest Beth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

Monday evening, I had swollen throat and some pain. After falling asleep, I awakened in full fever/chills and my teeth were actually chattering as I walked to the bathroom for ibuprofen. I stayed in bed all day Tuesday, though my sleep was anything but restful as I fought high fever, fury and dreams. Wednesday morning, I somehow found the energy to throw on some clothes and drive myself to the clinic. I tested for strep and mononucleosis; no mono, but serious strep. I dragged myself through the parking lot, to the pharmacy, and collapsed at home. I learned that day to throw away my toothbrush, yes; and then throw away the 2nd one in other 5 days. So, a slow, slow move toward health; it is now Friday and my throat still hurts to eat or drink, and gums are sore too. I have no fever, but am having some tired phases throughout the day. I haven't worked all week, which costs me plenty. But I'm grateful. I honestly had a grandparent die from this disease in 1930, pre penicillin.

Comment from: da eh, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: March 04

I started feeling very slight difficulty swallowing on a Wednesday. By Thursday the pain was worse. At first I thought I had a normal sore throat, I get those once a year, but was lacking any cough. Upon checking my throat I saw that my tonsils were swollen. This had never happened before. This day was bad but not terrible, and I could swallow with only a little pain, I started antibiotics just to make sure to cover against strep. Friday was terrible, I stopped eating at all, liquids were terribly hard to swallow; I thought I would give the antibiotics at least 48 hours before going to the doctor. Saturday showed no improvement, one tonsil had gotten better, but the other showed pus, and was even pushing my uvula to the side. This night I got no sleep at all, the next day I called a medic to make a home visit (covered by insurance). The doctor told me that maybe the antibiotics still needed a couple days to work out. But if I needed more expedite healing, he could prescribe injected muscular penicillin. I told him right away to do it. My girlfriend injected me (it's not hard at all, you don't need a nurse to do it). Two hours after the injection I had improved greatly, and my tonsil started spewing pus, which I cleaned with cotton swabs. This immediately let me swallow (which after two days without eating, I immediately started by eating and drinking smoothies). By the second injection I was 80 percent less swollen, and eating and drinking normally. I followed with a course of amoxicillin. I guess the moral of this story is to not fear the injection, even ask for it, it is quicker, and if I had known it could shave a couple of the nastiest days of my adult life, I would have done it immediately. So don't fear the needle, the sting is minimal. This was my strep experience, I would call it the worst week I can remember.

Must Read Articles Related to Strep Throat

Sore Throat
Sore Throat Sore throats are generally named for the anatomical site affected, such as:
Tonsillitis (Symptoms, Contagious, Treatment, Home Remedies )
Tonsillitis Tonsillitis is an inflammation of the glands...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Strep Throat:

Strep Throat - Home Remedies

What remedies have you found helpful in soothing the symptoms of strep throat?

Strep Throat - Complications

What complications did you have, or someone you know had, from strep throat?

Strep Throat - Length Symptoms Lasted

How long did the symptoms of your strep throat last? Was there anything in particular that helped with pain/symptom relief?

Strep Throat - Cause

What was the cause of your strep throat?

Strep Throat - Treatment

What treatment did you receive for your strep throat?