Sty (Stye)

Have you tried a sty self-care remedy that worked? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Bailey2465, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

The only things that helped me is either apply gold (e.g., jewelry) on the site of the stye or pressing and holding a chicken egg to the eye.

Comment from: Sassy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My mom is the curer of sties in our family. She uses her gold wedding ring. Says a small prayer while rubbing the ring over the sty and within minutes it is usually gone; the bad ones you need to use a hot tea bag. If using a ring it has to be a blessed wedding ring.

Comment from: bre, 19-24 Female Published: May 23

I'm 20 years old and I've dealt with stys my whole life. My mom and sister and aunt get them all the time. Thankfully for me they are never bad. I get recurring ones on my right eye tear duct. Usually it's a small amount of swelling but noticeable. It blurs my vision slightly in that eye and it always itches like crazy. I've never been to a doctor for it my mom has always just had me put a hot wash rag on it every few hours and it goes away within a few days. Don't scratch it!! It'll itch and itch but you can risk getting it more infected, instead lightly wipe a warm wet rag on top of your eye and hold it there. It'll feel much better.

Comment from: JuneDawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 62 years old. When I was a child and got a stye, by mother would hand me her gold wedding ring. I would sit on the couch and watch TV or read while holding the ring against the stye. It would stop hurting, I'd get tired of sitting, give her ring back and run out to play. The end. Anytime I (or my kids or anyone I know) start to get a stye, I use the ring remedy on the stye. Doing it for over 50 years now and it always works!

Bagheri, A., H.R. Hasani, F. Karimian, M. Abrishami, and S. Yazdani. “Effect of Chalazion Excision on Refractive Error and Corneal Topography.” Eur J Ophthalmology 19.4 July-Aug. 2009: 521-526.

Driver, P.J., and M.A. Lemp. "Meibomian gland dysfunction." Survey of Ophthalmology 40.5 (1996): 343–367.