Sty (Stye)

Have you tried a sty self-care remedy that worked? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: TXguy, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I had blepharitis a few years back and had 5 internal sties over the course of 5 weeks in my left eye. They all formed chalazions and I had to cut them out. Fun. It happened again a few months later even though I was a clean freak. The doctors never told me it was blepharitis, mind you. After my 3rd surgery I was putting rubbing alcohol on my lids morning and night. It worked! For the blepharitis. This year I had a bad allergy season and my left upper lid got inflamed right after my lower right had healed from a sty by the lash line. I tried tea tree oil. If you don't want surgery your first move is pure tea tree oil on the lash line. Do a warm compress. After that you take a Q-tip and roll the painful area toward the lashes. It hurts but it's what the doctor did to the early ones. A head will form if it hasn't yet. Use fresh Q-tips to collect the oil/pus coming out. Then more tea tree oil on the lash line. Repeat 3 times a day. That'll keep a scalpel out of your eye lid.

Comment from: Gu, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 03

Freeze a spoon and place on the stye. Keep hands and face clean with mild soap and water. Should have no other contact with the stye (eye), and no rubbing. Relax and rest eye(s) as much as possible.

Comment from: Bailey2465, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

The only things that helped me is either apply gold (e.g., jewelry) on the site of the stye or pressing and holding a chicken egg to the eye.

Comment from: Sassy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My mom is the curer of sties in our family. She uses her gold wedding ring. Says a small prayer while rubbing the ring over the sty and within minutes it is usually gone; the bad ones you need to use a hot tea bag. If using a ring it has to be a blessed wedding ring.

Comment from: bre, 19-24 Female Published: May 23

I'm 20 years old and I've dealt with stys my whole life. My mom and sister and aunt get them all the time. Thankfully for me they are never bad. I get recurring ones on my right eye tear duct. Usually it's a small amount of swelling but noticeable. It blurs my vision slightly in that eye and it always itches like crazy. I've never been to a doctor for it my mom has always just had me put a hot wash rag on it every few hours and it goes away within a few days. Don't scratch it!! It'll itch and itch but you can risk getting it more infected, instead lightly wipe a warm wet rag on top of your eye and hold it there. It'll feel much better.

Comment from: JuneDawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I am 62 years old. When I was a child and got a stye, by mother would hand me her gold wedding ring. I would sit on the couch and watch TV or read while holding the ring against the stye. It would stop hurting, I'd get tired of sitting, give her ring back and run out to play. The end. Anytime I (or my kids or anyone I know) start to get a stye, I use the ring remedy on the stye. Doing it for over 50 years now and it always works!

Bagheri, A., H.R. Hasani, F. Karimian, M. Abrishami, and S. Yazdani. “Effect of Chalazion Excision on Refractive Error and Corneal Topography.” Eur J Ophthalmology 19.4 July-Aug. 2009: 521-526.

Driver, P.J., and M.A. Lemp. "Meibomian gland dysfunction." Survey of Ophthalmology 40.5 (1996): 343–367.