Sty (Stye)

What was the treatment for your sty? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Carol, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I haven't had one since I was a kid and all of a sudden I have one now. The remedy for this has always been a regular wet warm tea bag wrapped in a layer of paper towel placed on the eye. It draws it out. I began the process today. I have never tried anything else as this always works. I believe the tannic acid in tea does the trick.

Comment from: raven, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

Prescription for my stye: Gentak

Comment from: frank, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 10

This is my second sty in two months. It's on my lower eye lid. It started on a Wednesday. I believe when I rubbed my eye with a dirty glove,. By the Friday it hurt badly enough that I started hot wash cloth packs to bring it to a head. When it headed, I took a Q-tip and pressed down on it to squeeze out the pus, and after that it started to feel better. My doctor gave my erythromycin ointment and told me to apply it for seven days.

Comment from: Swetha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I had severe pain with a stye in the upper eyelid of my left eye. The swelling and pain increased though I regularly rinsed my eyes with hot water and kept a hot pack on it. But on the third day when I visited the doctor, he has prescribed me a dosage of antibiotics and an ointment.

Comment from: jane, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

Whenever I have sty, I apply warm compress 3 to 5 times a day. It's effective! And it's not obvious!

Comment from: ethan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 08

My doctor dismissed the problem with a wave of her hand saying that it would go away on its own. No treatment, no advice, no nothing. I have her every week since this began. Four weeks later, the problem persists and it's very painful. I use warm moist compresses, which help for a minute or so. I was also taking acetaminophen, which only helped for about 20 minutes.

Comment from: smooches419, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I am 31 years old and this is my 4th sty in my eye. The first 2 styes went away with an old Greek remedy warm tea bag on the eye instead of a warm compress it worked. But now I have a bad one. Actually it was one and then turned into two. The tea bag is not working because it got infected. Let's see what the doctor says today. This is really painful.

Comment from: deb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I used to get them frequently when I was young and my doctor told me to buy Johnsons baby shampoo and use a Q-tip and clean under the eye lid. It was a little painful but helped a lot.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

I went to the doctor almost immediately as I could see it was going to get infected. She gave me an eyedropper antibiotic as well as oral and a yeast fighter to get me all set up. Every night, I spend 15 to 20 minutes with hot compresses to control the inflammation. 7 days later, I'm getting some relief and it is down to a swollen bump that still hurts. Ibuprofen helped with the swelling as did compresses. I threw away all my makeup and creams and started fresh. No sense on taking a chance.

• Sty (Stye) - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with a sty (stye).

Post View 42 Comments
  • Sty - Remedies

Have you tried a sty self-care remedy that worked?

Post View 7 Comments

Bagheri, A., H.R. Hasani, F. Karimian, M. Abrishami, and S. Yazdani. “Effect of Chalazion Excision on Refractive Error and Corneal Topography.” Eur J Ophthalmology 19.4 July-Aug. 2009: 521-526.

Driver, P.J., and M.A. Lemp. "Meibomian gland dysfunction." Survey of Ophthalmology 40.5 (1996): 343–367.