Sty (Stye)

Please describe your experience with a sty (stye). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Stye hater, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I have gotten several sties in the last couple of years I even name them. I got one surgically removed which was bad because my eye was never the same. I got an ulcer in my cornea and I also got herpes in that same cornea, very painful! I always go for the drops and ointment with antibiotic, do the hot compresses and I wash my eyes with Head and Shoulders (please close your eyes). All this helps, although bad news is sometimes they take 3 months to disappear.

Comment from: Randy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 07

I routinely had sties through high school and they drove me crazy. It would start with the irritation, the swelling and so on. I went to an old family doctor for something else and as I was there he noticed the stye and said we can do something about that. He told me I have a riboflavin, B2 deficiency. I picked up some at the drug store and within a day or so, it was gone. I did not take a pill every day, but when I would start getting the symptoms, I would take a pill for a few days and no stye. I am now 65 and a couple days ago I woke up with the irritation on my right lower eye lid and sure enough, I had the small pimple thing starting. I immediately found my B2 pills and took one and after a couple days another one. As in the past, the stye did not develop and went away. It worked for me 50 years ago and this still works now.

Comment from: smtoff, 55-64 (Patient) Published: August 11

I have had a sty cut by a specialist and then prescribed oral antibiotics. I stopped getting the antibiotics and then found it would go if I washed my face with a good soap face wash. Normal soap is irritating the problem. Keep face clean by washing as often as possible. I am considering mouth gargling as this sty problem occurs when you have sinus problems or cold.

Comment from: Nic, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 17

My nana told me this remedy for stye, it might sound weird but it works. Before going to bed heat up a bread bun for about 20 seconds (until hot but not burning hot) in the microwave then tape it over your eye and go to sleep. In the morning take it off and the stye will be gone.

Comment from: Lee, 55-64 Male Published: May 06

As a child, every year I had 8-10 sties, those painful infections of the eyelid. One day in the 7th grade my English teacher told me that he used to have multiple sties at a time and had stopped the infections by eating cabbage. I began eating a daily chunk of cabbage and within 6 weeks the sties stopped, and I have never had another. 25 years later my 8-year old son said that his best friend had frequent sties. I recommended cabbage, he followed my advice, and he has not had another sty. Today, at 63 I continue to eat several servings of cole slaw and cooked cabbage every week.

Comment from: basha, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 17

My sty is almost 9 days! And still it doesn't fade away by those treatments and home remedies. I've been suffering and I am now behind in my academic subjects because of this illness.

Comment from: Diddy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I'm 28 years old, and I got my first stye last week. My lower left eyelid was swollen. I thought I got bit by a bug so I took a Benadryl, and went to work. It basically disappeared a couple days later. It reappeared with a vengeance the following day. I did the ice pack and hot pack on Monday evening. The bottom of my lid was swollen, sore, eye slightly discolored, and I was highly annoyed because a growth started on the inside of my bottom lid. The next day the lid swelled even bigger. I started doxycycline 100. The eyelid feels better already, but I have a headache that's awfully annoying. Hopefully, in the next few days, I can be Stye free. Next time, I see this I am going to try the Johnson's Baby Shampoo. I heard it works, and I read it on this forum.

Comment from: auntbea67, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

Whenever I'm stressed out, here comes a stye. I finally found out why I've been sick for 15 years: I have Fibromyalgia, so I'm wondering if that has something to do with the styes. I've had them pop up every so often and had to get one lanced. I think the one I have now will have to be lanced, too, as I've had it for a month now and it won't go away. It is embarrassing; someone always feels the need to point it out, as if I didn't know it was there. I'd love to find a way to not get one, but until then, I've resolved to the idea that they are here to pop up whenever they choose.

Comment from: dorisjp42, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I recently went to the eye doctor for a stye that has persisted since July. I think it is making me physically ill. The eye doctor said to use the compresses because this forces the white blood cells to the infected area. You must be persistent. He also prescribed a small dose of doxycycline. As painful and frustrating as they are, I have lived with them my whole life, and I'm 44 now. Ask your doctor about the right treatment. If you feel you are not getting the treatment you need, go elsewhere.

Comment from: bob, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: August 22

I have been getting styes every now and then for about 10 years. The last time it was so bad I had to have it drained by a doctor, which was very painful. I've just developed another one, in fact this time it is a double one on the same lid. I found a gel pack at CVS that you nuke for 20 seconds. It stays hotter much longer than a cloth or tea bag. I've been doing it for the last two days, and the swelling is going down. I also found if I swim in salt water that the swelling goes down some too. So in addition to the gel pack I am also soaking in a tub with salt water and putting a rag soaked in the salt water over my face for a while.

Comment from: Bbd97, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

I've had 13 styes in the past five months. I've tried stye relief eye drops and triple antibiotic cream. I've washed my eye with warm water and always take my eye make up off. Mine are extremely itchy and painful.

Comment from: Deelia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 23

Whenever a sty starts to form (I've had about 8 of them) on me it always starts out as a small outward facing bump on my waterline on my upper eyelid. It's usually about the size of a pin head.

Comment from: Alexa, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I woke up this morning, thinking I had a mosquito bite on my eye, but then found out it was sty, as I came to this web-site. I quickly did as this site told me, to I put warm soap water on my eye for 15min! It really helped a lot! Its still there, but much less!

Comment from: Angie, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 27

It's the first time I've had a sty. It started out as a very small lump on my lower eyelid. I ignored it at first. But then as the days passed, my sty progressed. It got me worried so I read articles about it. I learned on this page that its time that I seek medical help because I am already experiencing symptoms that cannot be treated with simple home remedy. My vision is getting blurry; pus is already forming; my eyelid is really swollen and the area around my eye is already reddish-purplish. I went to the doctor on the fourth day. He examined my eye and gave me an ointment to relieve the pain. He was also about to give me antibiotics but I told him that I am four months pregnant so I am not allowed to take medication. It's still okay though because the ointment works fine...

Comment from: Lovetolaugh, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

My experience with a sty was very frustrating. I woke up with an itchy and sore eyelid. I also noticed it was swollen, red, and had a white bump. It was really annoying and embarrassing to have this on my eyelid all day.

Comment from: molly, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: August 16

My husband has a stye now, just got it a couple of hours ago, he also had blepharitis. In two days he went from a normal eye, to looking like we went 10 rounds and lost.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I have never had a stye before in my life and I am 57 years old. But, I have a very sore spot on the bottom lash line. It has started to swell a little now and it seems to itch at times.

Comment from: 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I have always used witch hazel and it works great.

Comment from: Styesuffer, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

My sty started six days ago when I woke up with a swollen eye lid. It continues to grow, although it's peeling a bit now.

Comment from: My_sweet_pea43, Female Published: July 11

Here is what will help: teabags. That simple. I get them a lot and I just seep a teabag for 2 minutes, place the bag on my eye until it cools. Warm up the teabag again and repeat the process several times. Trust me it works. You eye will feel better the next day. Do it again the next day a few times even if it feels better.

Comment from: Abreu864, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

Wow. I've had some pretty bad experiences. I would get the sties that had puss and blood they were HUGE! I would get them to the point where I wouldn't be able to open my eye. Sometimes I would get them on either side of my eye lids like one at the top and one at the bottom both equally painful and both were bloody.

Comment from: Bucky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I just went to the doctor for an acute stye. This one burst and drained and then filled up again. It is very painful and on top of this I have allergies in my eyes as well (get this every year). The doctor prescribed an antibiotic drop to be used times daily. Put in the first drop and the eye seems better already but stung slightly, he also said use warm compresses daily for 5-10 minutes at a time. Hope this works.

Comment from: mayhem, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I have swollen upper eyelid with throbbing pain. My eye has turned red. The whole eye area is swelling and glands in neck are swelling

Comment from: [email protected], 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I currently have a sty. I woke up 6:30 this morning and my left eye was really swollen. I had to drive with family from NY to DC. I spent the whole day without taking anything for it. I did put a cold ice pack but it went down a little. Now I feel like I'm getting a headache and I am heading back to New York. I wouldn't suggest traveling unless you know how to treat it and don't mind being somewhat embarrassed. Also my eye is really watery.

Comment from: hisonly, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: April 05

Ok so, I have no clue about what to do anymore. Right now I have a stye in the left corner of my bottom lid on my left eye; a stye on the bottom right corner of my left eye, and a stye on the bottom left corner of my right eye. Having three styes at once is not something anyone should have to go through.

Comment from: hoser0915, 25-34 (Patient) Published: January 10

I have a stye and my eye lid is extremely itchy. Both of my eyes are red, though, and there is some discomfort when I blink.

Comment from: Tnmulegal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I am 40, and had never had a stye until about a year ago. Since then they have gotten more frequent, and I have had 4 within the last month. I finally broke down and went to the eye doctor, and he prescribed over the counter ointment to put on my eyelids and let it "melt" down into my eyes several times a day. I can't really tell if it is helping or not, the one stye is just now draining and going away. He told me to use the ointment every day for about 3 weeks, and to throw out all my old eye makeup. I have also started using an eyelid wash that I got at the pharmacy twice a day. I am hoping that all these measures keep them from coming back. If not, he said he can prescribe me an oral antibiotic which is fine by me. Anything to get rid of these annoying styes!

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I have had only 2 styes in my life both since I've been in my 30's. One on my bottom lid and one on the top, both on the same eye and they hurt very bad. I am now suffering with the top lid. It's swollen, red, starting to block my vision, and hurts to blink. I am also starting to have headaches and this is only the 3rd day! Looks like I'll be seeing my doctor with this one.

Comment from: MsTJG, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

This is great information. I had a stye in February 2010, was treated with antibiotics, and it went away. A small bump seemed to remain at the starting point but I let it go. In May the stye returned and I am now on different antibiotics. From this article I should have gone to an ophthalmologist which I will seek out if the treatment doesn't work this time. Thanks.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I have had two styes in adulthood. The most recent stye is under my eyelid right in the corner. The sty I had before was on the outer eyelid and yes, baby shampoo works to help dry it out and cleanse it. I'm hoping that it will do the same for the one under the eyelid because it's starting to itch like crazy.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

Last winter I got a stye at least twice a month. They get pretty expensive since I replaced my eye makeup each time. Someone suggested baby shampoo which stopped them for a long time. Johnson is the brand I use. I use it to take off my makeup every day. If I don't use it I get a stye. So try it out it may work for you too!

Published: December 16

I hate my stye! I've had it since September, and it's really annoying. It doesn't hurt or anything. It's just there. Annoying me. I put a towel on my eye, and I went to see my eye doctor and my regular doctor, and they have me putting drops in my eye. I don't know what else to do. I'm going to try an antibiotic ointment because I heard that works. We'll just have to see.

Comment from: sadiya, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

In a span of eight months, I have gotten five styes. It's really painful and irritating. Applying a warm cloth really provides relief.

Comment from: Jamie, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I have a stye once again on the same eye lid. I get them every so often when I'm stressed out. This is the worst one I have ever had as they usually go away after a day or two. Now I've had this one for 5 days and it is getting worse! It hurts when I blink and it is making me snappy with work mates and family. I had one lanced before at the eye hospital in Oxford. Let's hope they can do it again to this one. This is not a nice experience though - Very painful!

Comment from: Aurora P., 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I still have it. I used some old eyeliner of mine about three days ago (At least that is what I am blaming) And I don't really wash off eye makeup, I just let it fade away. The outer corner of my right eye began to hurt a lot the next day and burned very slightly (like when you rub your eye too much/too hard and for a few seconds after it hurts a little) - only it didn't go away and it was a pain over most of my eye. Towards the evening I would have a headache (Styes put pressure on your eye and can cause headaches) about three days later, my eyelid is now a little swollen, the Sty is right about the corner on my eye on the under part the eye lid. If I push on it lightly I can feel a harder part of my eye lid that is the sty. It has not blurred my vision at all but I hear it can. It hurts to blink, at first it only hurt to blink really hard, but now it hurts all the time. The headaches felt like sinus headaches to me.

Comment from: CB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 29

I never had a Sty before, this is my first. I've read that stress could be the cause which I am under lately but I've suffered from syringomyelia for at least 14 years as well could it be the culprit. My sty is located on the lower lid and the white in my eye is red and my vision is very blurry I went to the pharmacy, they gave me antibiotic drops called Optimyxin too soon to know if it will works or not.

Comment from: BB, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 14

I get styes every once in a while. Years ago when I had a really bad one my doctor gave me an ointment called Tobrex. I always keep this on hand and if I ever start to get the feeling that a sty is coming on I apply a little bit to the spot. This has really worked for me and may be something that can help some of you.

Comment from: Grandpa, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 31

As a youngster I suffered from styes frequently. I was given a tea-spoon of yeast (few proprietary medicine options then). It didn't taste too good but the stye went pretty quickly.

Comment from: irishrover, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 21

I get styes occasionally and they don't really seem to be stress related. I also have Rosacea that flares up occasionally. The latest stye showed up with a slight flare-up of Rosacea - I never noticed whether they did or did not show up at the same time before. I'll have to wait for the next one and pay more attention. I also have seborrhea on my scalp which has flared up nicely.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

I've had my Stye for 4 days now. I've been using the Stye drops. They sell over the counter. They really don't help much. I hope it goes away soon.

Comment from: Tink, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 17

My eleven year old daughter seems to get a sty every two to three weeks, but she had one last week that cleared up but now has one on the bottom of both eye lids. She is complaining that one is very sore and her eyelid is red. She doesn't wear any make-up

Bagheri, A., H.R. Hasani, F. Karimian, M. Abrishami, and S. Yazdani. “Effect of Chalazion Excision on Refractive Error and Corneal Topography.” Eur J Ophthalmology 19.4 July-Aug. 2009: 521-526.

Driver, P.J., and M.A. Lemp. "Meibomian gland dysfunction." Survey of Ophthalmology 40.5 (1996): 343–367.