Supraventricular Tachycardia

What was the treatment for your supraventricular tachycardia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Sikatkus, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I experienced a fast heartbeat when I was 10 years old and had several short episodes after that. It stopped by using Val Sava movement. But when I was 23, I had a very long episode of supraventricular tachycardia (6 hours) before I met the doctors. They gave a few injections in a 48 hours period. My heart was back to normal on the 3rd day, since then verapamil is always available on my purse. Ablation is optional for long term treatment, but I am not planning to do it.

Comment from: CH13, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

At age 44 I fell at work and ended up having 9 surgeries (7 unrelated to the fall), between 15 to 20 procedures, court fighting for work compensation, lost 2 jobs and fought for SSD (Social Security Disability). Before I had my 3rd surgery I had supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) attack of 215/minute for 45 minutes each, twice in a 2 week period. The doctor did ablation. No problem since, now 14 years later. I was diagnosed with MVP (mitral valve prolapse) at age 20. Wonder if it was really SVT then too. Echo said MVP but I had the same symptoms. Also ended up with multiple autoimmune diseases. All related probably to trauma and stress!

Comment from: EB, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I had an ablation for my supraventricular tachycardia as an outpatient.

Comment from: Lellie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 28

I just got home yesterday from the hospital and diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia (SVT). It lasted about 5 hours at 134 - 140 beats. They tried adenosine 3 times, but it didn’t work and that was an awful experience. Then they used Cardizem straight in my IV and it worked. I’m 53 and this was the second time in a couple months it’s happened. The first woke me up and lasted about 20 minutes then went back to normal. Not sure what caused it. I drink coffee in the morning and the SVT happened later in the day. I will start drinking half decaf now to be safe.

Comment from: Elton Malkia, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 08

I find that my SVT (supraventricular tachycardia) comes on when I am dehydrated. This happens when I cut the lawn on a hot day or when I take a diuretic after sweating. My STV is alleviated when I force myself to drink two to three glasses of water.

Comment from: mom of 5, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 12

My son had his first episode of supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) when he was 6 years old. Then not another episode until a year later, when he had 3 episodes during summer break. We have found that 'bearing down' does not work for him, but what does work is holding him upside down. He does a head stand against a wall and I help hold him there for about 20 to 30 seconds. His BPM goes from 240 plus to the 150 range, and then takes about another hour to go down to 100. Right now he is not on any medication. As long as he recovers this quickly from the episodes it is something we will continue to monitor. We have not been able to pin point any triggers at this time. No caffeine, stay hydrated, and get enough sleep!

Comment from: Squidsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

Last year I had an episode with feeling faint and then a pounding heartbeat of 208. I burped and heartrate came down. I still called 911 and went to emergency where they referred me to a cardiologist. It happened again this week, 214 beats and sweating and shortness of breath. I had to be admitted at emergency. I went for angiogram and everything is ok. I have been diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) and put on medication. It was very scary.

Comment from: Pattypunk, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I didn't know anything about supraventricular tachycardia before three days ago. I thought it was because of stress. It is one of the signs. I am shocked that I have this condition. One thing they don't mention is that at 50 I am not menopausal, so that is when I feel the flutters the most. I hope with weight loss and exercise I can get better.

Comment from: Chiquita girl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I am working in financial industry; sedentary, stressful job. I am a nonsmoker, nondrinker, and no exercise; 45 lb. overweight. Five months before supraventricular tachycardia (SVT) incident, I suffered severe back injury. At time of SVT, took opioids, muscle relaxers, Xanax, and sleeping pill. I have no history of heart issues.

Comment from: kidsister, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I take Diltiazem 24HR ER 120mg. and 5-Hydroxyltryptophan 100 mg daily.

QUESTION

In the U.S., 1 in every 4 deaths is caused by heart disease. See Answer
Comment from: Rockstar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I woke up with a rapid heart rate and felt really dizzy. Because it was only my second day at my new job, I went in. One of my fellow employees mentioned how pale I was and suggested I go to the break room and take my blood pressure. It was 90/60 and my heart rate was 146. I went to ER and they ran every test that they could and found nothing wrong with my heart. They diagnosed me with paroxysmal atrial tachycardia/SVT.

Comment from: Katie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 09

I was diagnosed over 10 years ago after I had a heart rate of 220 for almost 5 hours. I did not have surgery as we had no insurance at the time. I have procedures to slow it on my own that usually work and also take Toprol twice daily. I can usually slow it by deep, deep breaths, putting my head down between my knees, sucking on an ice cube, putting ice on the large vein at side of neck. I have not had a serious enough episode to land me back in the hospital.

Comment from: Jacob Hamilton, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: October 02

My SVT Was treated with a cardiac ablation.

Comment from: Sandi, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 15

I was diagnosed at 74. I had a study done in 2012 and in January, I had a successful ablation. Now they tell me I have a super heart! Thank you doctors and modern medicine!

Comment from: MMB, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I have experienced two episodes in the last 20 years. First one was terminated by "bearing down" (vagal maneuver). The second episode occurred many years later on my first post-op day following surgery for a fractured femur. I was blowing into an incentive spirometer to prevent post-operative pneumonia and could not terminate the rapid heartbeat with vagal maneuvers.

Comment from: zimangel3, 45-54 Female Published: August 29

I felt heart palpitations for about three days. I went to the ER. The adenosine cardioversion was scary but worked immediately.

Comment from: marshia, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I was diagnosed with supraventricular tachycardia a few months back, after several trips to the ER and a follow-up at a cardiologist with a heart rate of 180-190 bpm. I was referred to a heart center for an ablation. Since I have not experienced anything abnormal. I feel great.

Comment from: Palmettoray, 75 or over Male Published: December 27

I am 92 years old and have had supraventricular tachycardia for 14 years, with my pulse rate as high as 140 and the duration for several hours. I discovered a means to return the pulse to normal by sipping any very hot liquid. You must take several sips until you feel the burn reach your stomach, and, instantly, the pulse kicks back to normal. It has been 6 years since I fell upon this remedy and it has never failed, not once. Try it. You will be ecstatic with the result.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I had an adenosine injection, which brought heart rate down from 220 to 50 in an instant, and also stopped pain instantly. Morphine could not help me at all for pain.

Comment from: Billey, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I was given Radio Frequency Ablation.

Comment from: tsuki, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

After experiencing a racing heart and shallow breathing I went to the ER for the 2nd time. Fortunately, I after testing I was referred to a Cardiologist who, after his own testing, diagnosed me with supraventriculartachycardia. I had a six-hour ablation done and now the racing heart has stopped.

Comment from: AVNRT, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I have had SVT for over 10 years. In April I will be having my 2nd ablation. I am currently on a mild beta blocker until the surgery (which doesn’t seem to be working). My condition is a little more difficult, and in my last ablation they found out my pulse would go 220 and flow backwards. Soon I will be on the table to hopefully get it taken care of.

SLIDESHOW

Heart Disease: Symptoms, Signs, and Causes See Slideshow
Comment from: daina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 15

My SVT started when I was about 15 I didn't take much notice of it then as it soon stopped however when I was pregnant with my second child it started again with vengeance I was going to the ER at least once every 2 weeks with heart rates of 250+, scary stuff but after an injection of something. My heart rate settled over the next 3 years I took a lot of medication to no avail then I had an ablation done and it worked thankfully. Now 15years later when I am tired or feeling anxious it sometimes returns but I am able to stop this myself. The biggest scare for me was the fact that my daughter has a heart murmur and no-one can tell me if it's related to my SVT while I was pregnant!

Comment from: Erin, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 09

I developed SVT at the age of 11. My episodes would start during inactivity such as watching a movie. The doctor put me on a restricted diet and on medication. The episodes seemed to become more frequent, and once I had five episodes in one month. Finally they did the ablation, for which I was in surgery for more than five hours. The doctor had thought it would only take two hours. So now I'm 29 and have never needed medication since.

Comment from: Villager, 75 or over (Patient) Published: January 03

All of a sudden at 75, I developed what was thought to be SVT, with all of the SVT symptoms at multiple times during a day. After about 2 months and numerous tests there were no real conclusions and I wasn't willing to take medications just to see if they would help. However I learned that cardiovascular diseases improve and can regress entirely. I am on a strict vegetable-based, very low fat, (where calories from fat constitute no more than 10% of the total consumed calories). I do not consume oils either and nothing that comes from anything with a face. This means no meat, no chicken, no fish. After about two weeks the SVT symptoms started to diminish and at the end of three weeks there were no more episodes, and they haven't come back after three months on the diet, which I will stay with forever. Between when I started and now (three months later, my weight, cholesterol, blood glucose, and blood pressure have gone down significantly. I credit all of this to what I learned from the book Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease by Dr. Caldwell Esselstyn. Anybody with SVT who wants it to go away should certainly give this a try.

Comment from: Marlo, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I have had SVTs since a teenager. I was born with an atrial septal aneurysm without a shunt and also have hypertension. I have taken betablockers since the age of 19 and am now 39 - they are like my best friend. For the past few years I have also been taking anti arrythmias. I get minimal side effects from my meds and they really help. In the past couple of years my heart has not paced well on its own giving me both high and low heart rates. I recently had a pacemaker inserted and it’s the best treatment I have had - I have never been so well in my adult life. My experience is that cardiologists who are electrophysiologists are best qualified to treat patients with SVTs.

Comment from: andrea, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

Well, I found out I had supraventicular tachycardia about two years ago. I’m 17 now. The doctor told me that it should go away on its own in a few years; he said by the time I’m 19 or 20. I don’t do much moving around how because if I do any activity, my heart goes crazy. I quit smoking and all that stuff, and I can breathe better, but that’s about it. The simplest things set my heart off. It’s not as bad as it was because I have kind of learned to deal with it. I am now pregnancy and afraid that I’m going to have a heart attack or something.

Comment from: Wooly, 75 or over Male Published: October 04

Thanks very much for this very helpful information. In 2006 I had what I thought was indigestion which seemed to respond to magnesia. It lasted on and off for 4 days but was continuous after swimming several lengths. After a bad night my wife called Emergency. It was a heart attack and two stents (angioplasty) were fitted. In July 2009 I thought I was having another attack and went to Emergency. This time it was tachycardia but I spent 4 days in hospital to check stents were OK etc. I have had 2 further attacks but successfully practiced vagal massage. I will give up strong coffee!

Comment from: norah, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 08

My supraventricular tachycardia was treated with I.V. Adenosine. I have 2 - 3 episodes annually. Last one was this weekend. Normally I'm automatically given O2, this time I wasn't. Adenosine is a horrible drug, just for several seconds I feel terribly distressed, it's hard to explain!

Comment from: middle-aged-ablated, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

My SVT first became evident 30 years ago, age 16. I did not bring it to my Mom's attention as it would self-resolve rather quickly. In my 20's during the first physical checkup in years I was found to have a murmur (turned out to be another issue, a bicuspid Aortic valve) I did decide the "fast heart at time" was worthy of sharing. In getting a 12 lead ekg things looked fine. I don’t think Holter monitors yet existed so I was told to pop in Emerg sometime when the fast rate was occurring. Eventually a tracing was done, but no treatment as I could control it via Valsalva maneuver. Now in my mid-forties I have found the SVT's occurring more frequently and could no longer convert on my own. After a few episodes of running off to the ER & getting Adenosine I asked my cardiologist (who I was having regular check-ups for the valve issue) what could be done. I was then put on a calcium channel blocker and consulted to a cardiologist that does electrophysiology studies. The med I was on in the meantime did most certainly cut down the episodes frequency & duration but made me feel subdued, and less energetic. Just yesterday I got the electrophysiology studies & cryoablation. I was out of the hospital by evening & feel good today. I do hope I am done with SVT's for good as they were getting rather interruptive to my life.

I developed PSVT at age 40. I have 2 to 3 episodes a year with my heart rate at 200-220. If I forcefully cough several times as it begins, it usually stops. But if not, I lie down and I place a small plastic bag filled with ice on the side of my neck. This stops mine in 15 to 20 minutes.

Comment from: savvy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I began having rapid heartbeats after having 2 ablations one lasting 5 hours the other 7 hours. Then the rapid heartbeat began which I didn't feel but felt very tired. I was put in the hospital for a few days and put on Sotalol 80 mg. 2x daily and have felt fine since then no problems at all.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW