Swallowed Object: Children and adults may accidentally swallow objects. Children are at most risk for ingestion of button batteries, buttons, and other small objects. Learn when to see a doctor for a swallowed object.
Must Read Articles:
Battery IngestionBattery ingestion commonly occurs in children 5 years of age and younger and the elderly. Symptoms and signs of battery ingestion include vomiting, gagging, abdominal pain, fever, rash, dark or bloody stools, irritability, drooling, and difficulty breathing. If an infant, toddler, child, or the elderly has swallowed a battery, call the National Button Battery Ingestion Hotline at (800) 498-8666 to be consulted for battery identification and emergency instructions. If instructed, take the person to the nearest emergency department for medical care. If you cannot find the battery that was ingested from the device, bring the device to the emergency department. Do not give the person antacids or ipecac.
ChokingChoking is a blockage of the upper airway by food or other objects, preventing a person from breathing effectively. Choking can cause a simple coughing fit or complete blockage of the windpipe resulting in death.
First AidFirst aid is an important skill to learn in case of emergencies. Learn how to prevent injuries, prevent falls, prevent fires, prevent poisoning, when to seek urgent care for injuries, and what to stock in a first aid kit in your home, office, car, boat, or RV.
Understanding X-xaysX-Rays are a form of radiation used to image solid forms inside the body. X-rays are administered by radiologists for many different routine tests, such as mammograms, checking for broken bones, upper GI series, and dental exams, among others. Radiologists carefully monitor the X-ray equipment to make sure the patient receives the smallest dose of radiation possible.
Swallowed Object Topic Guide - Visuals
Slideshows, Pictures, Images, and Quizzes: