Swollen Lymph Nodes

What was the cause of your swollen lymph nodes? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Enaj, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I had a slight cough last week and then it was gone but my throat already started to be sore, and I could hardly eat and swallow. I also noticed that both my lower left and right sides of my neck were swollen. The pain went on for two days. So I tried drinking lukewarm water with salt and calamansi juice. A day after that I started to feel better and now it's not painful anymore. But I'm just worried because the swelling in the lymph nodes in my lower neck is still there. I can still feel it when I touch it.

Comment from: MOMMA, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 19

My son's friend had a cavity filled but was still in pain. They never told him to watch for any signs of infection, nor did they prescribe any type of antibiotic, they just stated he should come back if you he had pain. Within days he suddenly had swollen lymph nodes around his neck, fever and severe pain, then the right side of his neck blew up. He ultimately went to the hospital for his symptoms. That's where he learned that the dentist messed up by never checking for an infection, nor prescribing antibiotics for a possible infection and not looking further into his pain by doing a simple x-ray. Winds up he had a tremendous infection in the root area, which the dentist spread by filling a cavity and now that infection spread to his thyroid and lymph nodes! He has been in the hospital for 5 days! That dentist should have their license revoked! They could've killed him! A little advice goes a long way, especially when you are treating children and you are supposed to be a professional!

Comment from: Diane, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 08

I was in the hospital from August 22nd through August 29. After a few days the culture showed that I had an adenovirus and it was in my lungs and caused my lymph nodes in my lungs to swell. The doctor wanted to do a scope and biopsy, until we got the results back about the adenovirus. Never heard of such a virus before. In any case, I go in tomorrow for another chest CT scan and see the doctor very soon after. So we shall see. I hope everything has returned to normal size and the healing is done. I just don't want to hear the 'C' word.

Comment from: Suepy, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 15

I recently had the quadrivalent flu shot because I'm over 65 (67). There was normal stiffness in my left arm because of the shot, but nothing I couldn't handle. Two days later I noticed a lymph node just inside my clavicle area was swollen and very sore to the touch. It will be a week tomorrow, though the soreness is gone, the node is still a bit swollen. My doctor said the lymph node is doing its job and to give it a bit more time. Not sure if I should be worried or not.

Comment from: miss_lora, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I noticed a swollen lymph node under my jaw in April 2014. Antibiotics were given. In October 2014 it was the size of a grape and still is today. I feel fine. No fevers, night sweats, weight loss, etc. X-rays show two swollen lymph nodes 1.5 cm and 1 cm, both next to each other. Ultrasound showed them as well. But nothing alarming. Fine needle biopsy showed nothing. CT scan with dye showed the nodes are still enlarged and nothing else suspicious. ENT says watch and wait. I go back on May 29 2015. They do not get smaller or bigger. The doctors don't seem too concerned. But I am.

Comment from: E, 35-44 (Patient) Published: August 28

Left ear, neck, and arm are swollen with swollen lymph nodes and I have right groin pain on and off.

Comment from: Girly, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I suffer from tonsils and I have a bad tooth that I'll have extracted soon. Two years ago I was diagnosed with vaginal warts and had it treated, never experienced another breakout since. Three months ago I was taking Accutane for my acne, however 2 months into the treatment I noticed a swelling on my neck. It lasted for a very long time, and I can still feel it. But I noticed a smaller swelling on the area between my neck and shoulder. I vigorously massaged it for about 3 days. Now I've 2 more swellings. I wonder if they are swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: PaulH, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I had shingles on my right side at 23. If I have contact with strong nickel content I will get a shingles reaction on my right outer leg. I cannot have coins, keys, chains, etc., anything metal on my right side, or I will get a breakout. I also had a lymph node under my chin and biopsy, CT, all came out fine but it still grew to the size of a golf ball. Steroids and antibiotics did work some but not enough to be rid of the swollen lymph node. I had it removed due to blocking my airway, eye and ear drain tubes, and it caused the same symptoms as sleep apnea. Once the node was removed all the blockage opened up and I did not snore any longer. However it grew back along another strand 10 years later and I just had it removed.

Comment from: poilini, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 17

I have CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) and I had a lot of swollen lymph glands on my neck for the last 9 years. Now they have suddenly disappeared. I wonder if it is because I have stopped dyeing my hair!

Comment from: john, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I have a small lump in my groin, a lymph node. Doctor said I have shingles, and that`s the cause. I run and am very fit. But I'm worried!

Comment from: Helene, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I have had a swollen lymph node for at least 12 years in my upper left breast. It's sometimes very painful and I have seen several doctors about it. Once a biopsy was done but it was benign. I've had ultrasounds of the area. Now I have a rash on the skin above it that has been there for a couple of months. I have only been told I have a swollen lymph node, which I already knew. I don't know the cause.

Comment from: caroline27, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have had one swollen lymph node in my left groin for about 8 months. It has never hurt before, but it is just now starting to.

Comment from: Ajoy12, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 05

I've had a swollen lymph node for several years now. About three months ago I started having really bad swelling around my neck and a tremendous amount of pressure around my jaw area. I was told my thyroid was enlarged. Blood tests determined that I didn't have any thyroid problems, but an ultrasound reveled I had several cysts in my thyroid. My doctor prescribed me two doses of antibiotics and the swelling subsided. Two days ago my neck started swelling again, even more than before. My ears hurt.

Comment from: Brenda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 24

I got some swollen spots that were hot an red to the touch on the back of my lower leg. They was moved around which was very weird. They never went away so I went to the doctor and was swollen lymph nodes. I took strong antibiotics for ten days and thought I needed more. Mine were very painful. It was hard to sit down because of the pressure on my leg. I still have a tender lump and want to get it checked again.

Comment from: Anonymous, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

I had shingles a few months ago and all of my glands/lymph nodes on the right side of my face, behind my ear, and neck were swollen. Now, I have swollen lymph nodes on the back of my neck. I have taken strong antibiotics two times and they are not getting better. I have headaches, light fever, and a sore throat off and on. My doctor is finally doing blood work to see what is going on.

Comment from: maria, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I had swollen lymph nodes on my head, armpits, neck and legs. The doctor tested me for HIV and it turned out positive. Please, if you have unexplained swollen nodes that don't go away for months, visit your physician immediately.

Comment from: TofuNY, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

Please, anyone with a quickly growing "swollen node" on your neck seek medical attention from a head and neck specialist. My husband had one that turned out to be tonsil cancer that spread to some of his lymph nodes. One exploded causing a huge cancerous knot to grow on his outer skin with a mirrored growth inside. He had chemo, surgery, muscle from his chest put in his neck, more chemo and 33 radiations. I came to this site because he was doing very well, but now has some swelling under his chin. I am very concerned.

Comment from: MilosMummy, 0-2 Male (Caregiver) Published: June 08

My 16-month-old son had raised lymph nodules around his neck (feel like small peas under the skin) during a cold and we thought it would pass, as colds do. However, this lead to a middle ear infection and more swollen lymph glands and a raging temperature. Our son was almost purple with the heat. We went to A&E and the wonderful pediatrician was on the ball and gave us antibiotics since it was acute. I wanted to share for other mums and dads!

Comment from: jas, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I have had swollen nodes since I was sick in January. I went to the doctor and was put on antibiotics but they never went away. Now they are swollen in the groin area too.

Comment from: Eship, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 02

I had a swollen lymph node in my neck, and I was given medicine to cure the infection, after ten days they took blood tests, which came back with no problems, and then I was given an ultrasound. The throat doctor said there was a stone in the node, and it was up to me if I wanted the node removed, though there was a chance one of three nerves to the face or throat could be cut. I'm not sure what I'm going to do.

Comment from: ParanormalK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 13

I had a series of sinus/cold/allergy issues starting back in September of last year and the lymph node under the left side of my chin swelled up. It went back down after a while, came back again a second time in November when I caught a co-worker's cold, then went back down. Just now it is allergy season and it got bad. All the doctors did was throw antibiotics and sinus/allergy meds at me and that only made it worse. I went to a Chiropractor who was also a Naturopath and he immediately had me stop taking the allergy medicine. I'm using natural alternatives and the swelling is still there but it is finally going down and my immune system in general is feeling better. He also found me an herbal formula that seems to help me with my allergies. Sometimes Western medicine can't solve a blasted thing!

Comment from: Brooky, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 31

My six-year-old daughter had a group of nodes around her neck and ear, which caused pain whenever touched and there were days where it was hard then soft. She eventually had a scan to find there was a group of them, and thank goodness it didn't need to be drained but controlled by antibiotics. She was hospitalized for a couple of days and sent home to continue with oral antibiotics. The lump remains.

Comment from: chic, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 26

I had an impacted tooth in 2008. The pain was so severe. I got the tooth pulled and the dentist warned that there was a pocket of infection in the canal where the tooth was. As a result of the infection, my lymph node was really swollen. Well the lymph node never returned back to normal size. Since then the lymph node varies in size. I am scheduled for a CT scan this week. I hope it isn't cancer.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 09

I have had swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck under my jaw for about a year. CT revealed that I have nodules on my lymph nodes and thyroid. I go for a needle biopsy of my lymph node and an ultrasound of my thyroid within the week.

Comment from: matrim, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 03

Today for the second time ever, I noticed a painful lump in my left armpit. Last time they gave me some antibiotics but said if it ever came back, to go back to the doctor so that they can do blood work. I'm actually really nervous, the antibiotics worked last time but that was only six weeks ago.

Comment from: rt, 55-64 Male Published: December 27

I have CLL and my lymph nodes are swollen in my neck. When I get a flu shot, I get large swollen lymph nodes under my arms the size of a large walnut or small lemon. They are usually smooth and will go down in several months. This time one side has a small lump on one side of the large node and it concerns me.

Comment from: freeon2, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

My right neck gland had been swollen for months. After seeing an ENT, she put a scope down my throat and discovered a cancerous tumor on the base of my tongue. The lymph node was also cancerous and had to be removed.

Comment from: Germandaughter, 25-34 Male (Caregiver) Published: September 27

My son in law was just hospitalized today for a lymph infection traveling up his leg. When we 1st saw it, it sure looked like blood poisoning. I didn't think there were lymph nodes in the lower leg.

Comment from: Sue, 55-64 Female Published: September 21

I just discovered a swollen lymph node on the right side of my neck, down below my ear area. This is very sensitive to the touch and seems to be getting larger. I went to the Doctors and she gave me a prescription for an antibiotic. This is totally freaking me out, because I've never had this before. I feel sluggish and when I bend down I feel the pressure of the lymph node. Maybe it is a bacterial infection.

Comment from: pkhowarth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have been told I have a goiter that affects the lymph nodes.

Comment from: ali, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have been told by my doctor that my sore and swollen lymph nodes in my neck, armpits, and groin are from exhaustion and a sign that my immune system is very low. I have been told to seriously rest.

Comment from: geofwalubi, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 21

My wife has been with a swollen node on her neck just below the left ear just underneath her jaw for over 7 years now. At first it was not visible but the rate at which it has swollen now is scary. She at times experiences pain.

Comment from: Larry, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been diagnosed with lymphedema for which I am told their is no cure, only control to limit swelling. Daily I wear compression stockings, and use a leg compresion apparatus to minimize swelling and skin ulcers (cellulitis). It is a discouraging "merry-go-round" therapy.

Comment from: Katy, 3-6 Female Published: January 12

My son has swollen lymph nodes on his groin. I am very worried as he keeps getting headaches and is always pale looking.

• Swollen Lymph Nodes - Diagnosis

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes.

Post View 47 Comments
  • Swollen Lymph Nodes - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your swollen lymph nodes?

Post View 17 Comments

American Cancer Society. "Lymph Nodes and Cancer." 14 April 2015.

Johns Hopkins Medicine. "Lyphadenitis." 12 March 2016.