Swollen Lymph Nodes

Please describe your diagnosis of swollen lymph nodes. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Robert, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 30

I was diagnosed with thyroid cancer and had my thyroid completely removed two years ago. Since then I have had this - hard to describe to a doctor or anybody else - constant feeling of 'flushing'. Only today did I found out it was swollen lymph nodes. Imagine my devastation when I read the swollen lymph nodes prognosis - In cases of serious systemic infections, patients with compromised immune systems, and patients with cancers, lymph node swelling may be chronic and may never resolve.

Comment from: Maggie, 75 or over (Patient) Published: August 07

I have a swollen painful hand and a lump left of my thumb from a swollen lymph node, leading to aching arm. I have had non-Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Comment from: tired, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: July 10

From swollen lymph nodes I was diagnosed to have chronic lymphoid leukemia. Every time I get up from sitting I have to urinate. I do not get more then 1 or 2 hours of sleep at night because I have to go to the bathroom to try and relieve myself.

Comment from: Pam, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 23

I have a chronic staph epidermidis in my left shoulder following a reverse total shoulder. I have had it replaced and the bone scraped out with vancomycin beads placed inside the bone. It was followed by strong antibiotic treatment to which I was allergic. Now I am on doxycycline 100 twice a day for life. I have been told I can never get rid of the staph infection. Now my lymph nodes along the side of the left breast have been swollen for several months. We are thinking it is from the staph infection. I see the infectious disease doctor in another month and we will reevaluate. I don't see any way to get rid of it.

Comment from: Trish, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I had an experience with a cramp like feeling in my jaws, like eating something sour, but very painful. I was telling my friend of this experience as the gland in my jaw under my ear was swollen after this happening. It happened several times that evening. She said she knew the feeling as it just happened to her a couple of weeks before, and it was the day after she had gotten a flu shot. I told her that I also had received a flu shot the day before this happened, she told me this was a side effect from the shot, and this was listed on the paper that was given to her at Walgreens. I would never have connected this if I had not talked to her. I called my doctor and he doesn't think what happened was a side effect.

Comment from: Carol, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 06

My daughter who is a young adult got a flu shot yesterday. She developed a painful swollen lymph node under her arm later in the day. I don't know what caused this and wonder if she should she go to the emergency room.

Comment from: NICOLA, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

My lymph nodes have been swollen now for a week, the pain is unreal.

Comment from: Pen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have woken up with swollen lymph glands under my jaw. It is quite tender. I have no idea what is causing this.

Comment from: moonie, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 16

My lymph nodes are swollen and it is red all around it.

Comment from: mom of two, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

Yesterday my 13 year old showed me a swollen area on her neck. Only other symptom was head ache and back ache. The size of the knot is the size of an Eos Egg. After seeing her pediatrician, she confirmed swollen lymph node, etiology unknown. We called in with new symptoms. At school she continued to have headache, back ache, and arms and legs hurting. I picked her up and she was nauseated. I called the pediatrician again to report symptoms. She placed her on 875 mg Augmentin every twelve hours. She has taken the first dose, drinking fluids and resting. Two new symptoms as of 30 minutes ago, lightheaded and now fever of 99.7. We had another confirmed case of viral meningitis in our school today.

Comment from: Mother, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 30

My daughter had severe sore throat, tiredness and weakness and swollen lymph nodes on her neck below and behind her right ear, and then it spread to the back of her head within 24 hours. We went to the emergency room (ER), they gave her antibiotics which didn't do anything so we went back to ER a 2nd time. That's when they tested her for mononucleosis and results came back positive. Antibiotics won't help, so we are just letting it take its course.

Comment from: dancer09bestie, 13-18 Female Published: September 30

I am 17 years old. I've had this knot under my arm scence I was 13 and I still have no idea what it is. It is immflammatory (under right armpit). I'm scared a little about it and sometimes I can't sleep at night. Sometimes I cry alot and I don't really cry easily. It is from that area. It's a golf ball size. It's sometimes squishy and a lot of the time hard as a brick. I wish that I knew what I was dealing with in this situation but I have no idea quite yet. I'm sure it's better to go to the doctor and find out what can be done about it rather than being so scared. It's possible it could be treated easily. Maybe there is nothing to be scared of. I should ask someone to take me to the doctor. The sooner...the better.

Comment from: M S Ansari, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 20

My lymph node below left jaw is swollen since 5 months back. CT scan, needle biopsy, and chest x-ray show nothing. I have no problem in taking a meal.

Comment from: DEBBIE , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 14

I've noticed in my left armpit it is really swollen. When I push around on it, it hurts pretty badly! When I first noticed it, it was when I was lying down and then I'd start to get out of bed! But I've gained about 30 pounds in the past 3 months and I thought it could just be fat! But fat shouldn't hurt, should it! I am in pain and I think it is swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: Medicinehealth, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

When experiencing cramping of stomach, the lymph node on the right side of my groin area swells up to the size of a golf ball. When cramping subsides, the swollen gland goes down to normal size.

Comment from: Kehu Tewhare, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

My son has swollen neck on the side, between the right side of his neck and below the ear, which seem like swollen lymph nodes. We asked for doctor's advice and was told to give him Panadol. The pain is getting worse and my son's swelling has increased, he cannot eat as it is sore when he swallows. He is having cold sweats and shaking.

Comment from: Kim173, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

Currently I am suffering with a swollen lymph node in my neck. I cannot eat right and it is too hard for me to swallow. I took a pain reliever and it lessens the pain. I will see a doctor tomorrow to see what it could be.

Comment from: Matthew , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 12

The lymph nodes under my throat are swollen and are sore. They have been like this for a long time. I've tried antibiotics but no changes to them.

Comment from: Azmy, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 16

I have a flu, my submandibular lymph nodes on one side was slightly painful at first, and I can feel it under my skin. After one day it become painless but I can feel it under my skin and it is slightly hard.

Comment from: MsViking, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I had a swollen lymph gland for years, on the lower left side of my neck. I had some kind of x-ray. It was said to be nothing and it was sitting on the bone. It was causing no trouble, but I'm not so sure, as of right now. The gland is extremely sore. I also have severe pain in the middle upper back. Exhaustion gets so bad, that I can lose my balance. I have severe brain fog, which most of the time feels like the brain is too big for my skull and it causes headaches. I have a couple of big ugly moles, one on my shoulder and one on my back. I had them checked out and was told they weren't cancer. Also, my lower legs, ankles, and feet are badly swollen; have been for a few years. I was told it is lymphedema. I am having trouble with rapid pulse and extremely high blood pressure and dizziness. I recently had pain so bad, I couldn't move my neck. I was told I had an infection and was given antibiotics. Recently, I had what I thought was an intestinal virus. I have a feeling I have been misdiagnosed. This could be one thing or a few different things. I have been to the hospital and they refused to treat me twice.

Comment from: mitch, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

About 1 week ago, I felt some not too severe pain on the left side of my neck and could feel a "lump" there. Shortly afterwards, the pain was gone but the lump remains, although (and this is difficult to tell) it seems a little smaller. I also have a stye "trying" to start in my right eye. It becomes painful but then the pain goes away but then it comes back.

Comment from: Trixie, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 23

Female, 28 yrs old. Diagnosed with MS last year, daily injections. Recently found swollen lymph nodes in groin area. Waited several weeks, went to doctor, put on antibiotics. Month later, have not went down. Back to doctor, scheduled a biopsy. Told today they are benign. But they are still there as big as ever was. So many questions, no one seems to have an answer or even care.

Comment from: mikeg, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 11

I had a severe cut to my finger which required removal of glass and stitches. Several days later I noticed the lymph nodes around my groin area became swollen. I have had fever and some night sweats. Other than being sore I go about my daily life. About 5pm. I will feel feverish. I take some Tylenol and then I seem to be ok. I was diagnosed with CLL a few months go, but white blood count has gone down. I went to my hematologist and he was puzzled. No sore throat or sign of lymph node activity anywhere else. He wants to wait another week of so and just see if the inflammation will go way.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

Hello I have had swollen lymph nodes (in my neck) since I had a really bad sore throat and cold in April. It is mid June, and my lymph nodes are still swollen, they constantly ache and cause pain in my teeth. Sometimes they hurt more if I am tired, and less after sleep. It would be a great help if you could give me any ideas of what the problem is, and what I need to do to take care of it. Thank you so much for your help!

Comment from: Joduan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 08

I have a swollen lymph node under my left armpit. It has been there for two weeks. I am taking the antibiotic twice daily. The swelling has gone down a little, but the spot is harder. The blood test showed nothing abnormal.

Comment from: Ricky , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 09

I get a swelling in the groin like a boil and then it bursts and disappears, but returns every couple of months. I am not sure if they are swollen lymph nodes.

Comment from: Bito, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 14

I have swollen lymph nodes on the right side of my spine in the lower back.

Comment from: Jodie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

My primary care physician refuses to approve antibiotics for my swollen lymph node, I don't know why!

Comment from: Kiwi102!, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have a lump that is about the size of a nickel and it is reddish purple. It is not really painful unless pushed on. I have had the swollen lymph node for a month and a half. It has been increasing in size.

Comment from: Aashi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

Three months ago I had a urinary tract infection (UTI) and typhoid, and swollen lymph node in my neck which was painful. The UTI and typhoid are gone and swelling of lymph node has regressed, but not gone completely, and I am still having a dull pain in my lymph nodes. Last month I had low grade fever on and off, but since last 20 days no fever and no weight loss, only pain in my neck which comes and goes.

Comment from: Con, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 25

I discovered some swollen lymph nodes on my neck.

Comment from: jrebel, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 21

I was driving and suddenly felt severe pain under my right arm and when I felt I found a large lump that was very sore and it is extending pain into the right side of my neck. I had one removed from my left arm pit a few years ago.

Comment from: Filly, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I have hard, swollen enlarged glands under the armpits for the past few months. I was not aware of it before. It is not painful and does not move.

Comment from: Suz, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 28

I have a swollen tender lymph node on the right side from right under my ear all the way under my jaw. For years now it's always been tender to the touch. It gets 10 times worse whenever I have a head cold. The cold is better, however that nymph node is still very sore.

Comment from: Kdj21368, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I have enlarged lymph nodes on both sides in groin. This has been going on for over a year. I've seen five different doctors had biopsy, CT scans, and a PET scan. I had surgery and one node removed. My doctor finally told me they may never go away. They are very large and painful. I had cervical cancer 20 yrs ago so I am worried and hoping they have not overlooked anything.

Comment from: Jessie_29, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: April 18

My son's glands on his neck are swollen and have been for some time now. He's been given antibiotics for throat infections that didn't affect them at all.

Comment from: rcraft, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I am having pain in my right side of my neck under my right ear, and I wonder if this is something I shoud be concerned about. It hurts to touch and when I eat or drink anything. Thank you.

Comment from: Bettina, 65-74 Female Published: October 12

Regarding swollen lymph glands…If any of you are taking any of the statins, that could be the problem. A friend of mine had the swollen lymph nodes as well as swollen and sore tongue. No doctor could determine her problem. After reading all the side effects of Zocor, she stopped taking it and her swelling has subsided in just one week.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I have had a recurring problem for 3 years and had many different diagnoses ranging from sinusitis to sleep apnea!!! This was from a consultant allergist in Harley St and cost £458!! My symptoms are: Every 5 or 6 weeks I wake up feeling utterly exhausted and am ill and unable to work or do anything for up to 3 weeks. I also have a sore swollen gland at the base of my skull/neck. He also says that my thyroid levels are strangely equal! No further explanation. This affects my whole life.

Comment from: daki29, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

Hi,i have had a 3 lymph nodes(in my neck)since i have got cold and had an infection in April.they gone during the summer actualy get smaller, and in autumn they got larger not much but i have several ache in teeth and neck usually when im tired and its cold.they to react on antibiotics but they still on.It will be great if you could help or give me an idea what the problem is,my blood test if fine no infection everything is good.

Comment from: nursegrapes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have one particular swollen lymph node right below my left ear lobe. It's blueberry shaped/sized and hard. No pain when pressed on. It has been here for a month without change. I have not been having any allergy, sinus, or cold/cough like symptoms. My ears pop occasionally, which is pretty normal for me with the chronic sinus infections I have had in my life. No other lymph node that I have tried to palpate is inflamed. I had a doctor look at it the other day and she told me that if it did not improve in 2 weeks that she would send me to an ENT to most likely biopsy it. Why wait? I'm getting somewhat concerned.

Comment from: 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 08

My 14 year old daughter has had swollen lymph nodes for over a year. When we first discovered them-she came and told me she had 'lumps ' on her neck, we took her in to the doctor. They did a test for mononucleosis, which was positive, and at the time we were relieve that's all it was. A year later the nodes are still swollen. There are a series of lumps on her neck and now one large one in her groin. We went back to the doctor. They ran a series of blood tests and did a chest X-ray. They all came out normal. We are waiting to get into the specialist to have one of the lymph nodes biopsied. Our appointment is two months away and we are very concerned in the mean time, but don't want to alarm her. From what I can gather, they want to rule out lymphoma.

Comment from: Mom, 7-12 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 07

My 11-year-old was diagnosed with six enlarged lymph nodes in the neck. He had an ultrasound and the largest one is very close to his carotid artery. They want do another ultrasound to see how fast it is growing. He has been feeling unwell for a while now. He gets nosebleeds, is sick to his stomach, and very tired. He had a lot of blood taken and we are waiting for those results. I wish that his doctor would tell me what she thinks is going on with him.

Comment from: wptasha, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I have three swollen lymph nodes in my back and an enlarged heart. It took two months to figure this out. At first, I was told they were just fatty tissues. Now they hurt more than ever. I recently started antibiotics, and they don't seem to help. I had blood work done, but and it was found that I didn't have an infection.

Comment from: Mel frm brooklyn, 35-44 Female Published: September 30

The left side of my skull, right above the hairline has swelling. I've been to the doctor a month ago and he said my body is probably fighting off a slight infection and this happens sometimes and lymph nodes swell up to fight slight infection. He said swelling should go away in 5 weeks. It has been about that time and swelling did not go away. As a matter of fact last few days, it is very tender and it hurts as if somebody pulled my hair on that side of my head. I also have headache on left back side of my head on and off. I made an appointment to see the doctor in 3 days. I wonder if this happening because I recently had a tooth removed.

Comment from: dartman, 55-64 Male Published: September 30

i have been a cancer patient for the past five years.i have dad one kidney removed due to cancerous tumors(first surgery removed 1/4 of kidney but did not get all so had second surgery to remove remainder 3 months later).also had laser treatment on remaining kidney to remove small tumor which was successful .i have also had 10% OF MY RIGHT LUNG removed to remove cancerous growths.in my most recent ct scan lymph nodes in my neck(2)have increased in size.what is procedure to follow. awaiting your reply stantroke

Comment from: pepsi, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 30

I am on Azathripine for ulcerated colitis. I was on holiday, and I noticed a lump at my collar bone. I went to the doctor, who has since referred me to the hospital. I went a few days later for a routine blood test only to find that my white blood cell count is low. I am going to call my doctor tomorrow as I feel there could be a connection.

Comment from: christo, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 30

My neck on lower right mostly and on back of neck has been bothering me for quite a few months off and on. Its like a dull throbbing tends to be around the muscles in my neck, not real sure if its lymph nodes or what. I went to the doctor and she said my lymphs seem to be fine. This really make me worry that something is wrong any ideas as to what it might be. It also makes my neck feel really stiff yet sore.

Comment from: Patti, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

Hello. I have had sharp pains in the lymph nodes just under the edge of my right jaw. Yesterday I started getting strange pains just past my armpits, and now I have this big red lump that showed up this morning in my right armpit. As of today, I'm also getting sharp pains in the lymph node under my LEFT jaw. The node under my right jaw is slightly swollen, but except for that, and the red lump in my right armpit, I have no other swollen nodes that I know of. I don't feel sick, and I've been feeling tired, but my doctor said I have slight anemia, which is pretty normal for me.

Comment from: Short2007, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

The lymph nodes under both of my arms are extremely hard, oval shapped, and large. I'm tired all the time, always sleepy, and catch every thing that goes around from respiratory to abdominal virus.

Comment from: Seeking Advise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 28

I don't know if my lymph nodes are actually swollen or not but there is tenderness right behind my right ear in the hollow in front of the bone, also a lot of pain and tenderness in my groin area on both sides, as well as I've had a sore neck mostly on the right side for over 6 months. My neck gets extremely sore and the pain runs from right under my chin to my breast area and area where the arm joins the trunk. I have had pain in what feels like the bone in my right ear and experience headaches on the right side of my face over and over again. Usually Tylenol or Advil will not take it away but will offer some slight relief. Sometimes the pain in the neck and ear will even run down into my right arm. On occasion the arm has gone tingly. I don't know what is wrong but I know the pain has been ongoing since April in the neck and chest area. I've had the groin pain for even longer and the ear pain for longer yet. IN the last 2 months I have been experiencing a bee sting like sensation in what I call the bulb in the base of my skull on the right side. I feel like it might all be related and am wondering if the symptoms might suggest a problem with the lymph nodes. I am stumped as to what it is and my doctor isn't sure as well.

Comment from: alwoods85, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

I've had a swollen lymph node behind my left ear for about three years now. It doesn't hurt. It is small and is able to move around. When I get sick or am about to get sick, which doesn't happen often, then it actually gets a little bigger, but not by much. I've had a few military doctors look at it, and they say I have nothing to worry about.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I have a bladder infection and one of my lymph nodes is swollen in my groin area. I also have cervical problems and I have to have it scraped every six months.

American Cancer Society. "Lymph Nodes and Cancer." 14 April 2015.

Johns Hopkins Medicine. "Lyphadenitis." 12 March 2016.