Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) In the Blood)

Please tell us how your thrombocytopenia or low platelet count was treated. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Granny, 0-2 Female (Caregiver) Published: January 10

I have a granddaughter and she was diagnosed to have an idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura (ITP) after a bone marrow exam. At first almost every week she was sick until one day some bruises appeared and we just thought it was nothing for we didn’t see any problems with it. But one day she had a diarrhea and was having bruises already on her legs, so the doctor suggested to have a CBC. It was done twice at that time because we were really surprised of the result having only 6. She was admitted immediately and given immediate medication of steroids. Luckily my granddaughter was so strong that nothing was wrong with her but her CBC dropped to only 3. They gave her IVIG that went on for many hours. After that procedure her platelet count only raised to 23 and after a week she had her exam and the result was 45, but after a week it was only 9 and she got admitted again. Just this week her CBC was only 10 even with the steroids and the IVIG. The doctor told us that his next method of treatment will be chemotherapy, but our pediatrician and even he himself, don’t want to proceed with this for she is only 1 year and 2 months. We don’t want it also. We are just taking so much care that she doesn’t get bumped or get bruises while playing. I hope that somebody might be able to help us.

Comment from: Mamta , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 12

I have thrombocytopenia, my platelets count is continuing to decrease. I feel nothing else only low platelets count is my problem. I have no problem, all my reports are normal so I don’t understand why I gave low platelets count. I know my doctor is the best hematologist but I don't know why my health is not recovering. It may be two and a half years that the same condition has been persisting.

QUESTION