Thrombocytopenia (Low Platelet Count) In the Blood)

What was the cause of your thrombocytopenia? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Dilip C., 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 01

My spleen size was enlarged at the time of birth so my platelet count is always down to a maximum of 1.7 lakh and does not go above this. But I never feel weak or have any physical problem but once in a year it goes up to 75000 and it is every year. It automatically goes up to 1.7 lakh, I wonder if it is thrombocytopenia or it is normal for me.

Comment from: sandy75, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I am just starting this process. I have platelet count of 51.The thrombocytopenia was found by accident by blood test, some things I have found out by myself. I broke my shoulder and 30 days have passed. After pain medicines ran out I still needed help, I was taking 1800 mg of acetaminophen every 4 hours. I go for another blood test soon. Doctor thinks this will fix its self. I stopped taking acetaminophen. My shoulder was black and blue and this is starting to look better. I would like to keep you updated as I go on.

Comment from: Y Neal, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed at the early age of 15 with idiopathic thrombocytopenia. I had bruising and the red spots covering my body along with bleeding gums while I slept at night. I had numerous blood test and was sent for a bone marrow biopsy. Prednisone helped, but after stopping the steroid my blood counts would drop. The doctor ordered a splenectomy and now I'm 43 years old and no signs of bruising, no petechia, and blood counts stay up in the 100,000s.

Comment from: netickbite, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

In June of 2011 I started to feel muscle pain, fever, nausea, weakness, fatigue. Over the course of six days the symptoms progressed to the point where I had severe night sweats and chills during the day, and was so fatigued and nauseated I didn't eat for days and could only lay on the couch or in bed. After six days I went to a doctor. He sent me to the emergency room for tests. My fever was 103, I'd lost seven pounds. I was anemic and my platelets, white blood cells were extremely low. My platelet count was 18,000. Tests for flu, Lyme (I live in New England) and blood disorders were negative. After some time and four days in the hospital with IV antibiotics and various other medications, there was a consensus among the doctors that I was suffering from one or more of several tick borne infections: erlichiosis, anaplasmosis or babesios. It took months to regain my strength. The pain in my joints, so severe it kept me awake at night, has subsided but I still have no sensation in my toes and fingers due to low B12. I'm also anemic. I take supplements for these conditions and will see a blood dr. again next month for a re-check.

QUESTION