Thyroid Storm

What were the symptoms of your thyroid storm? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Karen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 31

I am not feeling sick. My heart rate is higher, up to 115 beats per minute. And I have bulging eye and feeling hot from the thyroid storm. I have Graves’ disease and had it for five years now. There are times I just don’t feel myself. I also have bulgy eyes or just one eye, and it’s an everyday challenge to see and for it to feel fine. I am not sure If some of the symptoms have anything to do with the Graves’ disease, I would like to learn more.

Comment from: Jan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 25

I had been sick for a month. It was the last couple weeks of school. I was burning up constantly (no fever), had heart palpitations, diarrhea, was losing weight, tired, sugar was up, and resting heart rate was 130. Just spent days after school and weekends on the couch trying to get better. I had such difficulty walking up stairs or opening doors. I went to the chiropractor for hip issues and his touch hurt so badly. I went to the emergency room after 4 weeks of this and was told I was this close to a coma from a thyroid storm!

Comment from: Jess, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

After a morning workout, my heartrate refused to go back down below 130 bpm. I felt sick to my stomach, exhausted, and very anxious. I went home from work early, ended up in the emergency room the next morning when my bpm went up to 150 and I had chest pain and trouble breathing. Overnight stay for treatment of my thyroid storm, beta blockers, methimazole, and fluids, then a diagnosis of Grave's disease a month later. Don't ignore anxiety symptoms if they are prolonged.

Comment from: Dawn, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 26

I have had all of the same symptoms as others describe. It's scary! I just had a thyroid storm, this past week, that peaked while at work (retail cashier), and I thought I was going to hit the floor several times. I contacted my doctor and insisted we do something. I can't do this anymore. It's been happening for almost 2 years. This time my blood pressure was 132/96 and heart rate was 139. It happens at varying times, no rhyme or reason and it is exhausting. I'm wiped out! They took me off desiccated thyroid and on to levothyroxine.

Comment from: courtneyburnsbright, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

When I have a thyroid storm I’m usually woken out of a dead sleep with the worst migraine imaginable. When I rise out of bed my head feels as though it has its own heartbeat and the pounding radiates through my body. My neck gets very stiff and I feel very cold. My body starts to shake uncontrollably, I think from feeling so cold, but it feels like a seizure; it’s such violent shaking. I usually end up getting in a really hot shower, crying and shaking until my body calms down. It’s the most helpless feeling.

Comment from: Sherry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I’m in the middle of having a thyroid storm. I’m throwing up, no appetite, burning ache in the stomach, blurry vision, and fatigue. I’ve never had thyroid problems before.

Comment from: Pearl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's thyroiditis and hyperthyroid TSH adenoma. I never researched my condition or risk of a hypo/hyper induced thyroid storm; until I survived one. That morning I started shaking uncontrollably in bed. It was like convulsions. In my panic I tried but couldn't hold my cell phone, get out of bed or walk without falling. Hours later finally I was able to call family for help, 4 days before I could eat or walk by myself. If it ever happens again it's 911 for me.

Comment from: Tiredofthyroid, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had high fever and flu symptoms with my thyroid storm. I was 19 and had no idea what to look out for. I lost 20 lb. in 3 months. My mom came to town after not seeing me in months and saw my eyes bulging, how much weight I had lost, and also that I was extremely ill, and rushed me to the emergency room (ER). I almost died that day. My heart rate was 145. I believe that day was my last draw. My body was giving out, if I hadn't gone to the ER that day who knows what. I suffered for months without knowing, and my mom saved me by just looking at me.

Comment from: Marcie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

In 2014 they found nodules in my thyroid. When those appeared it was after a bit of high anxiety, no sleep, and a few other symptoms of a thyroid storm. After they found the nodules, all of a sudden my thyroid was producing secretions so they took me off the Synthroid. Since being taken off I have constant anxiety that my doctor will not treat me because she doesn't believe in it. So instead they put me on blood pressure medicines that don't work. I also have genetic hemochromatosis. No one will listen to me. Lost.

SLIDESHOW

Hyperthyroidism Symptoms and Treatment See Slideshow
Comment from: Crystal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 22

A thyroid storm is happening right now. I have fever and chills, my throat hurts so bad I can’t swallow, my neck is swollen, my body aches, my heart rate gets fast then slow, I am hot and cold, and shaking. I also have bad confusion.

Comment from: Joc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

I had a very rapid heart rate, and I was in bed for three days with a high fever and very weak. I lost 17 lb. in a matter of days. My eyes were starting to bulge. I had difficulty catching my breath and swallowing. I was also shaking and still do. On the 4th day my husband took me to emergency and I was put through a bunch of tests. Within days they had results and it was Graves’ disease. Very lucky to be alive, I was close to cardiac arrest. Do not wait for a thyroid storm to hit!

Comment from: stilluntreated, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I'd had hyperthyroid symptoms for 4 months (lost 66 lb., was shaky and anxious, and had rapid heartbeat, heart attack symptoms, etc.), but what I believe was a thyroid storm started with severe shaking chills, temperature of 104, exhaustion, and palpitations. It lasted for 12 days. The doctor I saw dismissed any idea of thyroid storm and tested me for everything else (to the tune of USD 2500). It took me months to recover. I had to use a walker for two weeks, couldn't drive for a month, and couldn't follow the simplest recipe.

Comment from: Obidiah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 15

From what I know, the thyroid storm started during my sleep. I woke up to a crazy headache to the point it made me cry. If I turned my head or walked too hard, it felt like my brain vibrated in my skull. My right temple felt like something was pulling it into my head with constant pressure. My neck was sore and stiff, and I was also vomiting. Amidst all this, I could feel my heart racing more than usual, having hyperthyroidism. I felt my pulse around my aorta, my carotids, and my right temple. I was also really shaky. Luckily, having siblings in the medical field, they told me to go to the doctor immediately and the doctor told me to go to emergency. My beats per minute was 150, blood pressure normal but I had a really high fever so they gave me medicines for my heart rate, and fluids so I don't go dehydrated. I didn't stay overnight thankfully.

Comment from: KymSue48, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

My thyroid storm symptoms were literally killing me: breathless from walking from one room to another, so weak I could only walk a few feet before just collapsing, my heart was racing all the time, my left eyebrow dropped down so much I thought it was going to touch my cheek, my emotions were jumping all over the place, I lost close to eighty pounds from lack of feeling the need to eat, and sleeping all the time. I was so bad that when I was admitted they had to give me two bags of potassium immediately. I was in the hospital for two months.

Comment from: Bev, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

I'd had an overactive thyroid for about ten years when I started putting on weight on my abdomen (this turned out to be ascites). I couldn't hold a conversation without coughing, had to sleep sitting up, my legs and feet were swollen, and my palpitations were so bad that my carotid artery was bulging out of my neck. My eyeballs also went yellow. Luckily for me, I went to see a doctor who admitted me immediately to the hospital with heart failure. My lungs collapsed, my liver failed, and I had a cardiac arrest. Three weeks later, and having lost 3 1/2 stone of fluid, I left hospital. I was so lucky to have survived from the thyroid storm, especially as a previous doctor I'd seen dismissed my symptoms as slightly overactive thyroid. I'd put up with the symptoms for about three weeks before I saw the other doctor, who saved my life. My pulse on admission was over 280 bpm, so I feel so lucky to still be here!

Comment from: Barbara1955, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

The anger, anxiety, confusion, and acting out are the worst of the symptoms of my thyroid storm. I felt hungry all the time and craved sweets. The anxiety has gotten so bad that I can't turn off even to sleep. The high anxiety levels, also reversed the hunger cravings, making eating difficult, with nausea, vomiting and diarrhea.

Comment from: hope, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I've just been diagnosed with hypothyroidism but also have heavy heart beating day and night, as well as for no reason at all, tingling throughout my body followed by heavy sweating, followed by fatigue. I don't understand, it seems to be a contradiction and wonder if it could be a thyroid storm.

Comment from: ligo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

This is my second time going to the ER, my symptoms were difficulty swallowing, dizziness, rapid heartbeat, sweating, tremor, and confusion. I had thyroid cancer in 2009. I still have part of my thyroid, but I'm not sure what brings the storm to a head.

QUESTION

Where is the thyroid gland located? See Answer
Comment from: Judy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 10

I felt like there was pressure around my throat, like choking. Then felt like I needed to vomit. The vomiting was pretty violent. I broke out into a sweat where I was very cold. I had tingling in the hands and feet then all over before passing out. When I came to, I had used the bathroom on myself I had no control of my body. My husband took me to the emergency room. On the ride there I really thought I was dying. I could hear him talking to my daughter but I could not respond to them. The ambulance they met said my blood pressure had bottomed out and the blood work from ER showed I was low on potassium, they said everything else was normal. A week and a half earlier, I had the right side of my thyroid removed due to a large benign nodule on the right side of thyroid.

Comment from: Mel, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I was feeling dizzy and living in a fog. I had loose stools, headache, weak muscles and heart palpitations. I was starving all the time and craved sweets, then the hallucinations started. My levels kept going up and down I was in the hospital for nine days.

Comment from: hotsauce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 17

I experienced dizziness, and near fainting. Later at home my blood pressure dropped and I started to vomit and had diarrhea. Afterward, I blacked out for the third time, and I finally went to the emergency and was admitted to the hospital for three days.

Comment from: victoriasd19, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

I had rapid heart rate, heat intolerance, difficulty breathing, anxiety, depression, sever tremors, confusion, irregular heartbeats, chest pain.

Comment from: chloe, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

After being diagnosed with hyperthyroidism, my doctor put me on a thyroid medication. I thought I was fine. However, at work I started to feel hypersensitive to heat and then developed pain all over my body. I left work early, went home, took a hot bath and ibuprofen and slept. Next morning I was off to work, feeling better but at some point over exerted myself and became hot, sweaty and began vomiting. Within 24 hours, I was in an emergency room with fever, chills, body aches. Fortunately, the OR Dr. listened to my symptoms and quickly diagnosed my thyroid storm. After discovering that I had this Grave’s disease, I realized that it had started at least six months before it became bad enough for me to get professional help. If there is any reason to believe that your symptoms may relate to this disease. Ask for a simple blood test to find out. It might just save your life.

Comment from: sad, 35-44 Female Published: March 12

A young woman friend died from thyroid storm recently and left shocked family and friends. The symptoms seem like so many other things like influenza or other infections.

Comment from: tunechiross, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

With my thyroid storm, I had extreme anxiety, anger, and confusion. I was suffering from rapid breathing, and a feeling like I was burning up. Also, my legs were heavy.

Comment from: sad sally, Female (Caregiver) Published: January 27

My friend died today following a thyroid storm. If you have any question about what's happening to you, stop reading and get to the doctor.

Comment from: Wendy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 29

Extreme everything. Unexpected weight loss. Sever mood swings and anxiety, unable to tolerate heat, tremors, insomnia, extreme sweating, rapid heart rate, breathing difficulties, chest pain, stridor, severe asthma, blurred vision, severe depression, high blood pressure, atrial fibrillation, pvcs, eventual heart failure. These symptoms began when my son was 9 months old, and my doctor told me hormonal changes to blame.

Comment from: Jackie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

With my thyroid storm I had heart palpitations, tightness in the chest, shortness of breath, couldn't see clearly, slurring of my speech, major loss of weight, irritability, and major insomnia.

Comment from: doxienanny, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

For my thyroid storm, my symptoms were: extreme shortness of breath, sweating, oversensitivity, not being able to see even with my glasses on, and frequent urination.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW