Viewer Comments: Ticks - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ticks:

Ticks - Experience

What was your experience with ticks?

Comment from: anon, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 22

My husband had a battery of tests, one of them EKG. The next morning he got up and showed me a big red swelling on his chest where the lead had been put on the day before. I realized there was a tick in the middle and could not get it out as it was deeply embedded. They had used a razor to remove the hair in that spot and the tick found it and he had plenty of time to dig in. The doctor at a walk-in clinic removed the tick and gave him an antibiotic. Since this happened in January we were not expecting to see ticks.

Comment from: Xmas surprise, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

Our Christmas tree had been up for 6 days and looked beautiful. On the 7th day the floor at the back of the tree was full of dark brown bugs. They appeared dormant for a time, then they started crawling up the drapes, they were ticks all in the presents, all over the gifts. I don't know what stage they were in, they must have been on the tree. Christmas horror!

Comment from: melissa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

Last Sunday when I woke my four year old daughter up to get dressed for church she couldn't walk. It was as if she was paralyzed from the waist down. So we rushed her to the hospital not having any idea what could wrong and I was scared to death thinking something was terribly wrong but when doc came in she said they would need to check her for ticks and sure enough she had one right in the top of her head that had caused tick bite paralysis after the doctor removed it, it took her about three hours and she was back running all over the place and to think a little tick could do that.

Comment from: momofthree, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

Yesterday, my 13 year old found a deer tick on her eyelid, right in the inner corner of her eye, about 2 mm from being in her eye. I believe a nymph; that thing was so tiny I had to use reading glasses and a magnifier to identify it as a tick. We are hoping she got it yesterday. It really just looked like a dark freckle. We have a lot of wildlife in our yard, deer, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, bunnies, etc. I'm told that chipmunks and squirrels can carry deer ticks as well. She always sprays herself if going near the woods or creek. Yesterday she just went in our pool, but the deer eat the lilies around the pool and the chipmunks live in the rock walls there. Half afraid to walk to my garden!

Comment from: Joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I got a tick bite and within hours, the neck (the tick bit me where the jugular vein is) swelled up, was red and purple with a black mark inside the center of the bite. I had removed the tick, alive and put it in a cap with water. It was alive and swimming. I washed the area and put on a triple antibiotic cream. The next day, the pain and swelling was worse. I went to the nearest emergency room with the tick which was still alive. The nurse practitioner threw the tick down the sink and told me that the black spot could be a freckle. She gave me two doxycyline pills told me to go home. I did this and felt nauseated. Two days later, the tick bite was better but I still had some pain.

Comment from: fabrice, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 23

I went to the doctor and told her there is something on my back and that my wife is concerned about it. The doctor looks at it briefly and said its nothing to worry about and sent me on my way. Ten days later that thing got bigger and painful, so today I asked someone at work to look at it and to our amazement, it was a tick.

Comment from: Ydreg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have been diagnosed with Lyme disease three times and once with STARI, all in the last five years. Twice it was behind my knee and I didn't know until the itch that I had for days wouldn't stop with all kinds of creams. The tick was so tiny my husband, who tried to remove it, had to take a magnifying glass. They were deer ticks and once the Lone Star Tick. Once it was on my waist and once on the inside of my thigh. I seem to be more prone to having them than my husband, but I do work a lot in my garden in Alabama. The first time I started feeling fatigued and nauseated and generally not well, the doctor prescribed doxycycline and it seems to have worked every time. I just found a Lone Star Tick today on my back, but I think I just got it this afternoon, so I'm not too worried, but will keep watching the spot for any signs of a rash.

Comment from: John, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I became ill after two ticks attached to my scalp. After four days I detected the parasites and dug them out from under my scalp. My symptoms included dizziness, severe weakness, headache, fainting, loss of blood, vomiting, hemoglobins drop to eight point zero. It was a very difficult time.

Must Read Articles Related to Ticks

Lyme Disease
Lyme Disease Lyme disease, sometimes referred to as Lyme...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Ticks:

Ticks - Treatment of Tick Bites

What treatment have you received for tick bites?

Ticks - Preventive

How do you prevent ticks from getting on your dog?