Ticks

What was your experience with ticks? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Citten3, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

We usually don't have tick problems where I live because the flock of guinea hens in the neighborhood eats them all. I went to my sister's house to help clear some land and picked up two, one on my ankle and the other made it to my inner thigh. Both were very small and were easily removed but days later the one on my inner thigh started itching severely. I tried checking to see if any mouth parts were still in the skin but it was so small that I'm not sure I would be able to see it.

Comment from: anon, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 22

My husband had a battery of tests, one of them EKG. The next morning he got up and showed me a big red swelling on his chest where the lead had been put on the day before. I realized there was a tick in the middle and could not get it out as it was deeply embedded. They had used a razor to remove the hair in that spot and the tick found it and he had plenty of time to dig in. The doctor at a walk-in clinic removed the tick and gave him an antibiotic. Since this happened in January we were not expecting to see ticks.

Comment from: Xmas surprise, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 29

Our Christmas tree had been up for 6 days and looked beautiful. On the 7th day the floor at the back of the tree was full of dark brown bugs. They appeared dormant for a time, then they started crawling up the drapes, they were ticks all in the presents, all over the gifts. I don't know what stage they were in, they must have been on the tree. Christmas horror!

Comment from: melissa, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 20

Last Sunday when I woke my four year old daughter up to get dressed for church she couldn't walk. It was as if she was paralyzed from the waist down. So we rushed her to the hospital not having any idea what could wrong and I was scared to death thinking something was terribly wrong but when doc came in she said they would need to check her for ticks and sure enough she had one right in the top of her head that had caused tick bite paralysis after the doctor removed it, it took her about three hours and she was back running all over the place and to think a little tick could do that.

Comment from: Ruth, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 17

About three months ago I took a tick off my belly. It was itchy for serval days, now it's been about three months and it is itching again and swelled. I wonder if there is something going on now!

Comment from: momofthree, 13-18 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 14

Yesterday, my 13 year old found a deer tick on her eyelid, right in the inner corner of her eye, about 2 mm from being in her eye. I believe a nymph; that thing was so tiny I had to use reading glasses and a magnifier to identify it as a tick. We are hoping she got it yesterday. It really just looked like a dark freckle. We have a lot of wildlife in our yard, deer, squirrels, raccoons, chipmunks, bunnies, etc. I'm told that chipmunks and squirrels can carry deer ticks as well. She always sprays herself if going near the woods or creek. Yesterday she just went in our pool, but the deer eat the lilies around the pool and the chipmunks live in the rock walls there. Half afraid to walk to my garden!

Comment from: Joyce, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 05

I got a tick bite and within hours, the neck (the tick bit me where the jugular vein is) swelled up, was red and purple with a black mark inside the center of the bite. I had removed the tick, alive and put it in a cap with water. It was alive and swimming. I washed the area and put on a triple antibiotic cream. The next day, the pain and swelling was worse. I went to the nearest emergency room with the tick which was still alive. The nurse practitioner threw the tick down the sink and told me that the black spot could be a freckle. She gave me two doxycyline pills told me to go home. I did this and felt nauseated. Two days later, the tick bite was better but I still had some pain.

Comment from: fabrice, 45-54 (Patient) Published: August 23

I went to the doctor and told her there is something on my back and that my wife is concerned about it. The doctor looks at it briefly and said its nothing to worry about and sent me on my way. Ten days later that thing got bigger and painful, so today I asked someone at work to look at it and to our amazement, it was a tick.

Comment from: Ydreg, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I have been diagnosed with Lyme disease three times and once with STARI, all in the last five years. Twice it was behind my knee and I didn't know until the itch that I had for days wouldn't stop with all kinds of creams. The tick was so tiny my husband, who tried to remove it, had to take a magnifying glass. They were deer ticks and once the Lone Star Tick. Once it was on my waist and once on the inside of my thigh. I seem to be more prone to having them than my husband, but I do work a lot in my garden in Alabama. The first time I started feeling fatigued and nauseated and generally not well, the doctor prescribed doxycycline and it seems to have worked every time. I just found a Lone Star Tick today on my back, but I think I just got it this afternoon, so I'm not too worried, but will keep watching the spot for any signs of a rash.

Comment from: John, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 24

I became ill after two ticks attached to my scalp. After four days I detected the parasites and dug them out from under my scalp. My symptoms included dizziness, severe weakness, headache, fainting, loss of blood, vomiting, hemoglobins drop to eight point zero. It was a very difficult time.

Comment from: Sunflower48386, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I've had ticks on me with no bumps or rashes. Last year in Alabama I got a tick on my chest. A friend removed it but I had a scab for a very long time -- nearly six or more months. Then last week I got a tick on the back of my leg. I didn't know it was there for two days. I found it while I was in the shower. My husband got it off for me. Mow nearly a week later I have the bull's eye rash. I think I may have Lyme disease.

Comment from: BostonMC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Today I found a tick embedded in the crease behind my knee. I had someone pull it out with tweezers and two doses of doxycycline were just prescribed for me. It's very red and sore in the area of the bite. Just sitting here I can feel it. I golfed yesterday in a wooded area.

Comment from: art girl, 55-64 Female Published: May 11

I live in an area where ticks abound and I spend a lot of time in the woods and on a lake with my dog. Consequently, I have had many ticks over time - but this year I have had two real "bites" that have worried me. Both times I have had hard, knotty sores and this is so different than anything else I've experienced. No rashes or other symptoms (yet - the most recent bite was two days ago) -- but I will be happy when the ticks decide to go into hiding during summer heat!

Comment from: rooster, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 30

I'm in the business of cleaning out foreclosed homes. I have been bitten by ticks at least 12 times in the last month. All were either deer or black leg ticks. Most were on leg, arm side or back.

Comment from: GW, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I live in Northern California and we are having a terrible tick season. I walk my dogs on the trails every day and every day we have at least three ticks between us. They mostly attach to the dogs face and groin. I've had them on my back, arms, neck and hair. Tick checks are a daily occurrence now.

Comment from: Cool4tool, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 16

I have found nine ticks in the last three days.

Comment from: Donna S., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I have been bitten twice by ticks in the past three months! The first was three months ago on my back! I still have itching and a scab in that area! I found one on my leg a few days ago! I removed it and put antibiotic ointment on it! Now there is a large knot like place under where the bite was! I am not sure what to do about it! I live on a lake and unfortunately I am subject to ticks more so than those living in urban areas!

Comment from: millie, 3-6 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 26

My daughter was brushing my granddaughter's hair until she notices something in her head moving, and she was trying to take it off, but she couldn't get it off from her. It was inside her scalp! I called her doctor and she removed it in about 15 minutes.

• Ticks - Preventive

How do you prevent ticks from getting on your dog?

Post View 4 Comments
  • Ticks - Treatment of Tick Bites

What treatment have you received for tick bites?

Post

Diaz, J.H. "A 60-Year Meta-Analysis of Tick Paralysis in the United States: A Predictable, Preventable, and Often Misdiagnosed Poisoning." J. Med. Toxicol. 6 (2010): 15-21.

Nicholson, W., K.E. Allen, J.H. McQuiston, et al. "The Increasing Recognition of Rickettsial Pathogens in Dogs and People." Trends in Parasitol. 26 (2010): 205-212.

Paules, C., et al. "Tickborne Diseases -- Confronting a growing threat." NEJM 379 Aug. 23, 2018: 701-703. <https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp1807870>.

Sanson, Tracy. "Tick-Borne Diseases." Medscape.com. Oct. 6, 2016. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/
786652-overview>.

TickEncounter Resource Center. <http://www.tickencounter.org/tick_identification/deer_tick>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Heartland Virus." Aug. 15, 2017. <http://www.cdc.gov/ncezid/dvbd/heartland/>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Tick-Borne Diseases." Mar. 9, 2017. <http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/tick-borne/>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Ticks." June 7, 2018. <http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/index.html>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "Ticks: Symptoms of Tickborne Illness." June 1, 2015. <http://www.cdc.gov/ticks/symptoms.html>.

Vanderbilt University Medical Center. "Red meat allergies likely result of lone star tick." ScienceDaily. Feb. 20, 2014. <http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/02/140220102727.htm>.