Tonsillitis

What symptoms did you experience with tonsillitis? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shelley, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

Tonsillitis never fails to lift me off my feet. I feel so Ill with it. Aside from the closed pus-filling agonizing throat, I also get headaches, sickness, aches everywhere, sleep problems and basically just a whole sickly, weak feeling from head-to-toe that takes ages to go. Antibiotics kick in within a few days but the rest of the symptoms stay for a good while after. I don’t eat very much and lots of drinks I loved before make me want to throw up. Nasty thing!

Comment from: KillMe, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

I went to the emergency room with tonsillitis. It was excruciating to swallow and I couldn't sleep. They tested it and said it was just viral and should be nothing to worry about, and that it'll go away on its own in a few days. It's now been four days, and I woke up this morning not even being able to talk without feeling extreme pain. I've been unable to do the most basic things, like swallow liquids or solids, or even my own saliva for that matter, I've been having to spit whenever my mouth fills. If I try to swallow it all comes back up.

Comment from: Mando, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: December 02

The most outstanding thing about tonsillitis is severe pain when swallowing even my own saliva. I get dry lips (dehydration), feel feverish, and have pain when moving my neck. My doctor prescribed 3 azithromycin tables one each day, acetaminophen pills every 5 hours and Prodent, a liquid to gargle. After three days I am not feeling any better.

Comment from: Tonsillitis victim, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I get tonsillitis once or twice a year and experience these following symptoms. Sore throat, ear ache, headache, whole body aching, feeling like I will faint, white spots on tonsils, difficulty swallowing, voice change, tiredness, and sometimes a cough. And I usually have it for about a week and feel drained for a few weeks after.

Comment from: Rita, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

My symptoms of tonsillitis are raging sore throat, inability to swallow the extra gallon of saliva my body produced, a terrible ear ache, fever, sweats, shocking sleep quality and dreams that made me feel I was insane. Only cure is rest, fluids, ice lollies, antibiotics (if it's bacterial), or euthanasia.

Comment from: Angel, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I have tonsillitis. I'm feeling very cold and I went to the doctor he gave me injection and pills but still there is no difference.

Comment from: Jenni, 35-44 (Patient) Published: June 11

I'm just starting with tonsillitis, but have sore burning throat, and spots and lumps on tongue. I feel really muffled as though under water!

Comment from: James , 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 10

I've had severe shaking and chills but a high fever and terrible sweating from tonsillitis. My tonsils are red and have huge white blotches on them. My tongue is also fuzzy and yellow in some places. My right ear is aching and my eyes feel so dry. I also keep experiencing extreme fatigue, a very swollen and sore neck.

Comment from: FoxyWolfWoman713, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 20

I had a combination of the flu and viral tonsillitis, so I can't say for certain what symptoms were only from the tonsillitis. I experienced extreme fatigue, nausea, vomiting, swollen lymph nodes, bleeding of the throat, inability to swallow (liquids or solids), dizziness, headache, and of course extreme pain.

Comment from: Mr. J, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 24

I have had tonsillitis for about 4 days now. And the pain hasn't started to diminish at all. I have an extremely sore throat and swallowing anything feels so pain intensive. I went to the doctor 2 days ago, in order to confirm whether it was a viral or bacterial disease. It is a virus, despite the fact I don’t have any other symptoms like running nose, fever, headache, etc. That means no antibiotics for me, apparently all I can do is wait for my body to fight it.

Comment from: wena, 25-34 (Patient) Published: July 03

I have had tonsillitis for 3 days already. Though I am taking medicine every night I feel so cold and have a high fever.

SLIDESHOW

A Cold or The Flu? How to Tell the Difference See Slideshow
Comment from: Julia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

In the past I had sinus infections, so I assumed that was the problem. This time after taking Biaxin for three days, the symptoms were not getting better. I made an appointment with an ENT specialist and was diagnosed with acute tonsillitis and acute adenotonsillitis. Amox-Clav 875mg was administered and things are getting better.

Comment from: Dizzy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 08

With tonsillitis I have experienced fever, chills, voice change, pain, and a sore neck. I have also found it hard to swallow. I choke on food and my own saliva. Pain meds barely relieve pain and fever.

Comment from: sc, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I have had a fever, sneezing, runny nose and a dull headache. But obviously a sore throat that got worse and when i looked at it in the mirror. It was covered in white spots!

Comment from: paticakoos, 55-64 Female Published: April 18

Cough, pain on swallowing, nasal and throat mucus yellow/brown and blood tinged, general malaise and weakness, burning eyes and tiredness

Comment from: Judy, 55-64 Female Published: April 18

Tiredness, sore throat,temperature yet feeling chills,headaches.couldnt eat for 3 days.

Comment from: Leanne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I have swollen glands, a sore right ear; pus on my tonsils and I feel blocked up with funny smell. I had tonsillitis nine months ago for the first time I was so sick ended up hospital dehydrated on antibiotic drip.

Comment from: Lisar, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Swollen lymph nodes, very soar throat, headache, neck ache, ear ache and tiredness.

Comment from: Precious H, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

Pus on tonsils, red sore tonsils, swollen lymph nodes, sore throat. Very painful.

Comment from: Lottyloo, Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had a sore swollen throat and I couldn't eat for three days. I also had a shooting pain going down my neck, and a fever for the first three days. I couldn't lift my head up of the pillow with out felling very dizzy. Then the coughing started. This was one of my worst experiences and I have had four kids.

Comment from: joe, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I had chills and pain when swallowing.

Comment from: Alix, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: December 27

Headache, pain with swallowing, yellow and white discharge from tonsils, and swollen tonsils.

Comment from: Theresa, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

Pain in both ears, runny and congested nose, headache and cough. I am thinking of going for a surgical treatment because tonsillitis is real discomfort.

QUESTION

Which illness is known as a viral upper respiratory tract infection? See Answer
CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW