Toothache

How did you cope with your toothache? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Monique , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 27

I purchased this stuff called Toothache and it works instantly for toothache. You can get it from Walgreens or Walmart. Trust me no matter the extent of your pain this stuff works like a miracle.

Comment from: DaniGal, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I can't cope, it hurts like terribly right now and no medicine has been able to make it stop or even bearable!

Comment from: Eloi, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

I have to wait 6 days till my appointment at a dentist, and the pain is unbearable, so far I've tried Paracetamol, helps, but briefly. Also, Morphine to various degrees does help a lot, small doses of Morphine sulfate every 4 hours will allow at least 15 minutes to1 hour of numbness, yet the effects of this drug wear off quite fast (this is helpful when trying to sleep, although morphine has some dopey side effects). Alcohol helped, although that I won't recommend. Exposing the tooth to warm and cold water provided very brief pain relief, although even more pain afterwards, especially after warmed salt water.

Comment from: GP, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 10

After you brush your teeth, rinse with warm water. Sip a small amount of peroxide, and let it set on your tongue until it starts to fizz. Slowly rinse one side, and then rinse the other side. It hurts a little at first, but the pain eased off. Keep repeating this until the pain is gone. Believe it or not, it worked for my toothache.

Comment from: lore2768, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I have not been able to see a dentist, haven't been able to in 10 years. I have 4 broke teeth with another going bad and also 2 roots that are killing me. I have no insurance and I work a lousy part time job. I tried to go to one of those free clinic deals where they spend the day working on people's teeth, but those lines are so backed up.

Comment from: Amanda, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I usually brush my teeth twice a day with a normal grocery brush, but it isn't enough to make my teeth and gums healthy, white and painless. I used to wear a braces and my experience was terrible. After a few months trying different brushes and toothpastes I discovered a water flosser brush that really makes the difference. Thank you for the helpful post.

Comment from: Father in need, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: December 15

I have a broken tooth that got infected 2 days ago and now the left side of my face is swollen, my left eye is swollen shut. I need help, I already went to the emergency room and got antibiotics and pain killers and it is getting worse.

Comment from: somebodywhoknows, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: April 28

For toothaches, I find it effective to use onion or garlic and put some salt on it and put it all on the affected tooth, or you can chew it with the infected tooth. Onion and garlic work miracles for toothaches and gum pains.

Comment from: kathy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

Extra Strength Excedrin works miracles for a toothache - until you can get to a dentist to get it fixed. I did this for a couple weeks, but once it's deep into the nerve as in my case I needed a root canal - nothing will help, and the pain is unbearable. I'm on another antibiotic and am hoping for some relief till they can get me in for the root canal.

Comment from: Rajkumar, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: January 20

I have many times experienced terrible tooth aches. I would suggest strongly not to rely on home remedies like clove, garlic, cardamom, salt water rinse etc., and seek the professional help of a dentist immediately instead of facing recurrent attacks unnecessarily.

• Toothache - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your toothache?

Post View 4 Comments
  • Toothache - Medical Treatment

What was the treatment for your toothache?

Post View 2 Comments
  • Toothache - Home Remedies

What home remedies alleviated the symptoms of your toothache?

Post View 5 Comments

Cohen, Leonard A. et al. "Toothache Pain: A Comparison of Visits to Physicians, Emergency Departments and Dentists." Journal of the American Dental Association 139.9 September 2008: 1205–1216.

Roblee, Richard. Interdisciplinary Dentofacial Therapy: A Comprehensive Approach to Optimal Patient Care. Chicago, IL: Quintessence Books, 1994: 45-53.