Viewer Comments: Total Hip Replacement - Causes

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement:

Total Hip Replacement - Causes

What caused you to need a total hip replacement?

Comment from: Leonsaunt, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I thought I had back ache making me have leg pain so had my back decompressed and treated with physiotherapy but then my hip hurt worse than ever and I could hardly walk. The MRI found no cartilage or space between joint, requiring replacement. I got an anterior hip replacement which made me feel instantly better but I still have incision pain but now again I can't walk, so I am having my 2nd hip done in couple of weeks. So hoping for pain free life soon! My surgeon did a great job and it was much easier recovery than my husband's with his knee replacement!

Comment from: Tennis42, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 22

I have osteoarthritis. I had anterior hip replacement 9 weeks ago. I'm doing excellent. But the other aches and pains are awful. I have been an exercise enthusiast since my early 20s. I believe now (I'm 57) that all the extremes have led me here. I wish I had known then what I know now. You can stay in shape and have a minimal pain free old age if you just be kind to your body!

Comment from: Jinjanana, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 10

I fell and broke my left hip almost two years ago. I have a titanium bar connected to my hip joint. Unfortunately, I have developed vascular necrosis which is a lack of blood flow to the hip, which is caused sometimes from hip surgery. It is extremely painful, and I have pain constantly and I don't get very much sleep because of it. I am going in for a total hip replacement on December 19/16, and I sincerely hope that this procedure takes all this terrible pain away, because it really is unbearable.

Comment from: Abuelita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 01

On 11/23/15 I fell while walking my dog and broke my right hip. Posterior hip replacement ensued. It was hard to walk and I was in a lot of pain. On 4/30/16 I fell in my home and broke my left femur in 3 places, so another hip replacement. I am in severe pain all the time and I've had weird things happen like rashes on my face, torso and arms; pressure sores in my inter gluteal area and on the back of my heels; extreme weight loss and severe low back muscles that I can barely tolerate. I can't sleep. I live alone, have no family within 700 miles and no help. Pain medications, ice and heat do not help. I still can't shower and doing housework is a nightmare. No one can explain what's happening to my body. I don't know what to do and I can't live like this.

Comment from: roger, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: October 11

I am 9 months post total hip replacement and I have still got groin pain and now back pain with a very bad limp. I am fed up!

Comment from: brett, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: December 29

I had hip resurface some three years ago, but now need a full hip replacement. The resurface has never been any good. I still have pain in groin, and suffer badly while sitting or lying down.

Comment from: meee, Published: July 23

My mom had hip replacement six months ago. Right now, she still has problems sitting for more than 20 minutes, she feels the ball is pointing at her bone that cause her a lot of pain, but the surgeon said everything looks fine.

Comment from: Pearl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 31

I had a total hip replacement in 2012. My surgeon said the lateral approach was the best and would offer me the least restrictions of all types of hip replacements. My recovery time was four months to be able to return to work, and another five months before I was able to have days without pain. This was mainly due to a good chiropractor. I have been reading more and more about the anterior approach to hip replacements and what I have read indicates that this approach has better results than any other approach. I wish my doctor had let me know that this approach was better even if it meant I went to another surgeon.

Comment from: kim, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am 52 years old and two weeks ago I had a total left hip replacement due to the hip being bone-on-bone and very bad arthritis. I need my right hip and both knees done, also due to arthritis. At a time when I should be enjoying life, this is what I have to look forward to.

Must Read Articles Related to Total Hip Replacement

Osteoarthritis
Osteoarthritis Osteoarthritis is not a single disease, but a culmination of problems that leads to skeletal joint failure. Symptoms include aching, stiffness, bone enlargement...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Total Hip Replacement:

Total Hip Replacement - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your total hip replacement experience.