Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Helena, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have now had several of these transient ischemic attacks but they are getting longer. Initially I lost vision on one side in one eye, which resumed after 40 minutes and I had a bad headache. The second time the right side of my face dropped and I had numbness in my right arm. The 3rd time I had speech difficulties and numbness and drooping of my face arm and leg. This lasted about 30 minutes and was extremely scary. Then just 2 months later I had just finished a meal out and I thought I was going to faint. However it continued and was like I was drowning, I had the rushing in the ears, felt hot to the extreme, then face dropped on right side and I had pins and needles down right arm and leg. I also thought I was going to lose control of my bowels. This lasted about 15 to 20 minutes and again was very scary.

Comment from: snolandr1, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 14

I had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) last November. Now I have Horner's syndrome. I don't feel good and after USD 8000 in imaging the doctors gave up. I'm ready too.

Comment from: Bill W., 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 02

My wife had a TIA. She was unable to stand. Her speech was badly slurred, and her arms and legs were trembling. We went to hospital immediately. After a couple of hours, her speech began to return to normal. Trembling gradually subsided, but she was very weak and unable to stand on her own. She was in hospital for three weeks for physiotherapy. She had no recollection of any of these events for four days. CT scans showed no sign of hemorrhage of the brain. Sadly this was the beginning of the decline of her health and she passed away almost three years ago.

Comment from: lee, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had garbled speech for about a minute. I have a lesion in the tentorium of the brain.

Comment from: Muthur60, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 02

I was out walking on the trails with my friend. We were about four miles from our starting point when I started to feel lightheaded. Suddenly, I lost vision in my right eye. It was like a curtain drawing closed but starting from the bottom of my eye. After several seconds my vision came back, albeit spotty, then after a few minutes it came back fully. After that I felt okay to walk back. I probably shouldn't have but did not realize it at the time that I had had a min-stroke (TIA).

Comment from: tom, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: September 05

I have had two experiences. My left side seems to be the problem area, as it begins with a sickening feeling and weakness. It lasts less than a minute, then I'm back to normal.

• Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

Post View 46 Comments
  • Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?

Post View 22 Comments
  • Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?

Post View 12 Comments

Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology

Rothwell, PM "Effect of urgent treatment of transient ischemic attack and minor stroke on early recurrent stroke (EXPRESS study): a prospective population-based sequential comparison." Neurology. 2007 DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61448-2

Stroke.org. Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA): Prognosis and Key Management Considerations. ABCD2 Score.