Viewer Comments: Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

...
Comment from: Hillzy, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 09

I had sight impairment but only on the right side, bottom corner and could not think of words that I wanted to use. No headache or other physical signs and it all ceased after about thirty minutes. The first time was about three years ago and have just had another transient ischemic attack with exactly the same symptoms and time frame. No other side effects whatsoever.

Comment from: Barb, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 01

I could not feel the rim of my coffee cup and that was the first sign of my transient ischemic attack.

Comment from: Adjusting, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 25

I am a 51 year old female. I have no hypertension, no high cholesterol, and never smoked. I kept having headaches after I would run. After ruling out hydration problems, I had a headache that wouldn't go away. My primary care physician said it was intractable migraine. I never had a migraine like this! A few weeks later I had my first TIA (transient ischemic attack). I was in a bookstore when I may have had the first signs (lost my coordination). The pressure in my neck and head was awful. When the burning sensation occurred a few weeks later and I suddenly went weak, nauseated, uncoordinated, I found doctors who quickly responded. Thank goodness.

Comment from: happn, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 13

I had my first TIA (transient ischemic attack) at about 17 and they became routine until my late 20s. My last one was at about 30. At their height, I'd have several a day, just about every time I'd stand up. In my 20s, I had a couple of convulsions with them. I finally went to the doctor who said I had cluster headaches. I didn't know about TIAs until I read an article and said that's what happens to me! But every time I tell a doctor, they blow me off as if I have no idea what I'm talking about. Now my 15 year old is starting to have them. She's had 3 and we have a neurologist and ophthalmologist checking her out for migraines. She has been having headache almost daily for 7 weeks now. Neurologist ignored me. The ophthalmologist saw vascular narrowing on the right side of sinuses and has ordered a new MRI and an MRA. My daughter's primary physician said no way is she having TIAs. I'm doing all kinds of research. The kid has only been to school for 12 days in 7 weeks. I need answers, not roadblocks.

Comment from: ValerieD, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I have blood clots in my brain all over, the oldest dating back 5 years or so. The last MRI shows at least 13 blood clots, affecting my thinking and I also have tumors. I have been to so many doctors and still no one knows what's causing them, they say I am having transient ischemic attack. I am 47 and not sure what to do. My protein C and S are high and keep getting higher. I am having more and more tumors. I went to the hospital 2 weeks ago and they left me sitting in a waiting room for over an hour, until I got upset and left.

Comment from: MAZ, 55-64 Female Published: April 22

I was doing some physical therapy on my neck specifically exercises building upper back muscles when I suddenly couldn't remember what the tech had told me to do. I also did another exercise without ever remembering that I did it. The loss of memory was the big thing that occurred but I regained it after about an hour. I also had a BP of 190/100. I remember hearing an ambulance was being called but do not remember very much about being taken by ambulance to the ER. Some blood tests were run and a CT scan but everything came out OK. My doctor has since ordered an MRI of my brain, an MRA and an ultra sound of my carotid arteries. Although I appeared to outsiders as not losing consciousness, I couldn't remember what I had been doing, the president of the US and what day it was. Once I came out of this state, I could remember the president and day but have no idea what had happened at PT after a certain point.

Comment from: breeze, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 28

I am 51 years of age and recently had a TIA. Oddly I woke from a sound sleep and felt what I can best describe as a buzzing sensation in my left arm and shoulder and left jaw. I woke my wife as this sensation wasn't going away after about twenty minutes. She suggested that we take my BP, which turned out to be 195 over 100. She said we were going to an ER and off we went. On arrival they by-passed the routine and took to me to a CT scan and gave me Aspirin. I was never told why it happened but after an EKG, MRI and a couple echo's. I was told it was a TIA and to date don't know why but you can bet I'll work on the things I can control like stopping smoking.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

How to Lower Cholesterol
Cholesterol FAQs

Cholesterol is a waxy, fat-like subs...learn more >>

CT Scan (CAT Scan, Computerized Axial Tomography)
CT Scan What is a CT scan? Computerized tomography scans (CT scans) are important diagnostic tools for a variety of medical conditions. Some areas of the body frequentl...learn more >>
Heart Attack
Heart Attack A heart attack is an interruption in blood flow to the heart muscle. Arterial plaque rupture is often the cause of a heart attack. Symptoms of a heart attack ma...learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke):

Transient Ischemic Attack - Diagnosis

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?

Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?