Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Blue Star Mom, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I have had 2 transient ischemic attacks (TIAs). One I went blind for 3 hours, the other my mind was lost for 5 hours. I knew something was happening and got help. This is different. There was a terrible smell and then my left arm went numb and my right shoulder hurt so terrible. I was taken to the hospital from work by emergency medical technicians. I had a ton of tests. Bottom line is the numbing in my left thumb to forearm will be there forever. The hurt in my shoulder they do not understand. Nice doctor, she is trying and I am not afraid. My grandmother had these and did not understand, but I do, so I will try hard. Grand mom lived until she was 95. I have several years yet. Listen to your doctor. Keep trying and best wishes to all.

Comment from: eleanor, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 17

I'm a 48 year old woman overweight (301bs) but fit. I walk miles with my dogs and have a very physical job, I have type 2 diabetes which until I had pneumonia was very well controlled and I was losing weight nicely, 2-3 lbs a week. I was admitted into hospital with blood sugars of 39! Insulin was given intravenously and within 24 hours was down to 15. About 8 weeks later I still felt weak and was exhausted. On 2-2-11 I woke feeling terribly dizzy and my eyesight was horrendous, I was staggering around like a drunk, and I never touch the stuff! My right arm and leg were dead weights and the right side of my face was numb and tingling, I couldn't talk and was dribbling, must of lasted 10-15 mins. My doctor was brilliant and got me to stroke clinic within a few hours, ecg and scan were normal and no build up of fats in my arteries. Awaiting MRI but 2 weeks later I feel as dead as a dodo! Eyesight still awful, weak, terribly fatigued. Clopadogril prescribed as I'm asthmatic and cannot have aspirin. I'm terrified as my dad had 7 of these and ultimately died!

Comment from: Need Help, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 18

I am 46 yrs old and this is my second symptom, my cholesterol has been over 232 and I have been on lipitor for a year. I just had another symtom, I fell out of my bed and then fell again hitting my head, I finally made it to my bed. But the last time my md doctor said it was vertigo, but this has lasted two days. I need help.

Comment from: John, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I had some double vision issues. I went to my optometrist who sent me to an opto-neurologist. Neither could find a cause and simply suggested it might go away by itself. 15 months later, I mentioned the problem to my family doctor. He sent me for a CT scan and it was determined I had suffered a TIA and the muscles governing my left eye were not working in conjunction with my right. After 15 months, damage is done and probably will not resolve. Problem is more nuisance than anything else. Never knew I had a TIA and felt nothing. I have never had a headache so I would remember. Blood pressure and cholesterol are in check. I have had one sick day in 42 years. This was a surprise!

Comment from: kamilcha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

A few months ago, I woke up while hearing what first began as a small buzzing sound, which kept getting louder and louder, until it abruptly woke me up. For the next week or so I noticed that my glasses just weren't working doing their job while I was reading the newspaper and almost immediately after I woke up from that buzzing sound, my mind was thinking of a word to say but my mouth was saying something different--i.e. I wanted to say "give me a cup" but instead it came out "give me a plate", etc. I've had a brain MRI with contrast and it appears that I had a mini stroke--my carotid arteries aren't bad, but my good cholesterol is low and my bad is high (but not too high (200) but I have always had high triglycerides. My doctor just put me on simvastatin but I'm scared to take it as I like to have a couple of glasses of wine at night and usually snack on popcorn or pretzels, and the druggist said to take this med at night. Last month, I joined weight watchers and have been trying to go to the gym at least once a week, but the Doc said I have to do statins. I just turned 63--this sucks!!

Comment from: linda, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I'm a 59-year-old woman. This past weekend I was at work at my cashier position when my right arm became heavy, numb and tingling. I couldn't grip money anything in my right hand. I took myself to the hospital a few hours later. They a battery of test, which showed nothing, but they told me I'd had a mini stroke. They put me on Plavix. I feel better, but I'm still terrified.

Comment from: abuechs, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: March 27

My Mother is diagnosed with TIA she is 82 and has 60% of her carotid artery clogged with plaque. The surgeon saw my mother two years ago and did not want to perform any surgery. Now two years later the surgeon wants to wait two more years. My mom has high blood pressure and asthma during the spring season. My mom is a strong woman and I am frustrated that he postponing the surgery. The surgeon said it is a 1% to 2% chance my mom would have a stroke during surgery, why would he want wait until she is older.

Comment from: hello, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I was 23 at the time, had a lot of heart problems and a blood clot that formed in my brain. I had a time of about two hours where I would lose my balance and fall down, be very confused and disoriented. Ultimately I was taken to the ER where they did CT scan and echocardiogram to double check everything. The doctor put me on aspirin and told me to be careful for other signs of TIA or major stroke.

Comment from: Rochelle, 65-74 Female Published: January 23

A week in the hospital. Physician prescribed ECOTRIN and SIMVASTATIN.

Comment from: Rose, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

I had experienced TIA at the age of 29. The first warning signs was an extreme headache to the right side of the back of my head. I later started losing my balance in walking, losing focus. I had difficulty swallowing and my left hand would start to tremble/bob before I had a seizure. I was told that based on The CT scan done I've had at least two.

Comment from: Lona, 35-44 Female Published: December 13

I am 43 years old, have two boys 6 and 7 respectively, and I had a TIA. It was the most difficult thing to accept since I have always been a health nut and have a resting heart rate of 65. Taking care of myself has been a huge part of my duty as my kids mom and as a way of staying healthy and young at heart. The TIA came quickly, while I was driving with a friend, and lasted almost three hours. I had become numb on the entire right side of my body....even my tongue was numb and tingling! By the time I got to the ER, it had passed, and I felt almost completely normal again, other than the fact that I was completely bewildered by the incident. After seeing three doctors and having MRA, MRI, CAT scans and the like, I was told there were no real reasons for the attack. I am still reeling. The more I read, the more apprehensive I become, wondering if this was a precursor to an even larger attack to come. In the quest for answers, I have taken to an aspirin regimen, vitamin therapy, and staying with an exercise program.

Comment from: buzzard, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 29

I am 56 years old and am in good physical shape. Just recently went through a cholesterol study and all my numbers were excellent. I work a physical job without a lot of stress. My blood pressure has always very good. I recently had a EKG that was very good. Surprisingly though about two weeks ago I had a TIA. There are about 4 hours that I don't remember at all, but was told that I talked to several people and was functioning somewhat normal. I was taken to the hospital and they ran blood tests and a CT scan and all was clear. So far no real reason this incident. I am now on 1 aspirin a day and still awaiting further tests. I say take this very seriously as sometimes there are no obvious signs.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 31

I woke up and was unbalanced, almost tripping over nothing. I went to work, and then I couldn't sign my name, and was tumbling around. My boss told me that I had a stroke, saying that she could see it in my face. I was brought to the hospital and had to stay 3 days. They later told me that I had a small aneurism in the right side of my head.

Comment from: Butter, 45-54 Male Published: September 21

I am an ultra-fit, athletic person. On holiday I had an unexpected and violent headache which subsided and i was aware of a pins and needles sensation down my right side. Visited hospital and had CT scan, carotid Doppler, echocardiogram and heart and lung X-ray. All these were clear. I have no diabetes, blood pressure problems or high cholesterol. I am on aspirin and statins. I was told I have had a TIA despite no evidence.

Comment from: Lucky, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 12

I was told I had a TIA. I had a slight numbness in face and arm on the right side. Ten days ago they stated I had a stroke as seen on an MRI. At that time I had tingling and numbness of my left arm and left side of my face. I currently have only minor tingling in my left palm. I have no other symptoms other than a headache once in a while. They put me on Plavix and baby aspirin.

Comment from: Joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I am 73 years old, in good shape still teach piano, but....my new doctor took me off Zetia , which I've been on it for a number of years without any problem. The new doctor thought temporarily I would go off it. I then started with severe headaches and then pain down my left arm, it became very weak than numb. I went to the emergency ward, where they took a CT scan of my head and blood tests. I thought I was okay, but they told me I had a TIA and to go back on my cholesterol medication and to start taking a blood thinner.

Comment from: worried_daughter, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 20

My mother recently had a TIA. It was very frightening and unsettling. She went to the ER and was admitted. Mostly they left her alone, checking in routinely while they hurried to find an explanation for her odd symptoms. She arrived home about 30 minutes ago, pronounced alright but to keep an eye on her. She has an appointment to have the equivalent of an ultrasound on her neck tomorrow. This is not something to be treated lightly as the resulting effects can be a lot more dangerous than the actual event.

Comment from: grace, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

After a TIA, I found that I had a 90% clogged artery. a neurosurgeon cleaned it and the blood flows well now. I am on aspirin, and 3 other prescriptions.

Comment from: sally, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 16

I'm a 32-year-old woman with two kids. Three days ago, I suffered a TIA. At first my left side went numb and them my lips and tongue went numb, which really scared me. My hand went numb halfway up my arm. My mother was around for dinner, so she called the ambulance for me. Within an hour, all of my symptoms were gone, but my left arm felt very heavy for the next few days.

Comment from: Renee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 14

I was examined at the emergency room of the local medi-clinic, where a EKG was done and blood was drawn. I was admitted to a medical ward after the diagnosis of TIA was made. I was then seen by a specialist physician who ordered a brain scan, a sonar scan of the main blood vessels in my neck, and he also did a heart echo test. My heart was fine as well as the main blood vessels in my neck. My brain did show signs of a previous TIA incident. It was found that I had raised levels of cholesterol and sugar in my blood, and I was given a daily injection to thin the blood as well as a tablet for the high cholesterol. I also received physiotherapy for the lazy left hand.

Comment from: Rick, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 16

Though in hospital ER overnight, I received no treatment.

Comment from: Sue, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

I was subscribed blood pressure tablets as my blood pressure was extremely high, and told to take a small aspirin.

Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology

Rothwell, PM "Effect of urgent treatment of transient ischemic attack and minor stroke on early recurrent stroke (EXPRESS study): a prospective population-based sequential comparison." Neurology. 2007 DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61448-2

Stroke.org. Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA): Prognosis and Key Management Considerations. ABCD2 Score.