Transient Ischemic Attack (Mini-Stroke)

What was the diagnosis of your transient ischemic attack? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: blainead, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 04

49 year-old male. I was at work when I noticed a twitching in my face and a type of bounce when I walked. Then my balance went away and I had trouble talking. I contacted my PCP who admitted me to the hospital. I was discharged four days later, and awaited the results of the arterial ultrasound. The only answers I have been given is that one of the blood vessels is my brain is enlarged. But since I've never had a CT scan on my head, they didn't know if it was a result of a TIA or not. I'm still waiting for answers.

Comment from: Eluena, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a TIA but did not know warning signs. The following week I went hiking and had several stumbles and falls, hitting my head. Later I saw a neurologist who tested me for eight hours and determined I now have a Swiss-cheese type of damage in brain. Recovery took over four months in physical therapy, and language took another six weeks, and dropping things from right hand continues. Because all sorts of brain scans didn't show damage, it took 5 months before hospital's neurologist sent me for the 8 hour test. It's been a long haul, but life is GRAND! KNOW THE WARNING SIGNS AND TAKE ACTION!

Comment from: BGVA, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: November 27

My mom is on blood thinners, but when her levels get low, it can result in a TIA. The symptoms vary, but usually she exhibits numbness or slurred speech. She went to the hospital just a few hours ago, and will be in ICU for the time being. It's always a little scary, being it is kind of touch and go, so I'm of course praying that she'll be fine like in the past.

Seven years ago at the age of 35 I had a TIA. My symptoms were numbness in my left arm, loss of vision in my left eye (temporarily) and difficulty breathing. I did not suffer with a headache until I was admitted in ER care. Today I still suffer with high blood pressure and high cholesterol. I'm currently on three types of medication along with exercise. I have lost 20lbs in the past year.

Comment from: raindeer, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I had my first TIA 40 years ago. I went almost blind in my right eye, it only lasted a couple of minutes then it was back to normal. I had one or two episodes a year for the next 35 years. I asked every doctor I went to and every optometrist I went to what it was and they all said "I would have to check you while it is happening" but it never lasted long enough. In 2007 I had an attack and after five minutes it had not returned. I called my optometrist and went to the office. He sent me on to a retina specialist who diagnosed me with central retina artery occlusion. Fluid was drawn from the eye to lower the pressure, but nothing happened. I am almost totally blind in the right eye. I found out in February 2012 that I have Factor V Leiden, this was most likely the cause of the TIAs that I had experienced for all those years. All it would have taken was a blood coagulation test and I could have been taking an aspirin a day and possibly still have my vision in the eye.

Comment from: Dianne, 55-64 Male (Caregiver) Published: February 08

My experience was with my 62 year old husband. He came to me with the symptoms. He was very pale, disoriented and confused. He has PTSD so I'm used to those symptoms. I got him to lie down and called 911. They started getting his vitals and BP was very high. His blood pressure was always normal. They took him to the hospital and ran numerous tests to rule out heart attack. After 3 days it was determined he had a TIA. I was told getting him to the hospital quickly was key. The bottom line: if any symptoms are there, don't hesitate. Call 911 and let them take over. Thankfully no lasting effects except he'll be very tired for a while.

Luckily I work in a hospital. I became progressively confused and then could not maintain my balance. When I got to the ER, I was much better. They did all kinds of tests, diagnosed me with a TIA and put me in ICU. I was releases about five hours later. I am taking one time release asprin a day. I am still a bit off balance and my memory is bad. I had a gran mal seizure about a year and a half ago. Has this affected anyones work ability?

Comment from: catriona, 45-54 Female Published: January 26

I am 48 years of age. I had what the doctors think was a T I A, I had what fealt like a dead leg and arm, and pins and needles on my left side. My sight in my left eye was also affected. I was taken to the hospital and had tests and a CT scan. all was normal. these symptoms lasted a few hours, am now on asprin. family history of strokes and heart attacks. very frightening. am good now.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am a 70 yr.old woman with a history of heart disease, type II diabetes, and blood pressure problems. Haven't had too many health problems in spite of all this since I hike and eat properly. December of this year I had a total hip replacement done. I was progressing very good until one morning I woke up with double vision. I had no other problem, didn't feel anything unusual. A trip to the optamalogist and he diagnosed a mini-stroke. I have been on multiple meds for pain since the surgery and periodically was taking Ambien for sleep problems. I wonder if all the extra narcotics and the sleep med are the problem. Don't you have to have a neurologist to verify it was a mini-stroke?

Comment from: Lis, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I exercise daily and eat a healthy diet. I began to experience a constant pressure and headache a week before my attack. The attack began with numbness to my left arm and face. I then lost the ability to speak for several minutes. Soon after, I went to the ER where they did a series of tests, which included a CT scan. It came to be that my cholesterol was high, as well as my BP. They kept me overnight and gave me aspirin, Lipitor, and a diuretic. Five days have passed, and I still feel foggy and weak.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 06

With my first TIA I had all the symptoms of a stroke including dizziness, confusion, and slowed speech. With my second TIA I had I was talking to my daughter on the phone when I suddenly had a massive pain in the top back of my head, like someone hitting me in the head with a hammer. I also had very high blood pressure.

After coming home from work on Friday, I felt like I was in slow motion, my bottom lip went numb (in the corner) and my speech was slurred. I immediately called for an ambulance. After running several tests, it was found that I had 75% blockage in my left carotid...surgery was done on Saturday and I came home, Sunday evening. I feel very lucky and blessed to be alive and not having a full blown stroke! I will be going back to work in a couple of weeks.

• Transient Ischemic Attack - Experience

Please describe your experience with transient ischemic attack.

Post View 46 Comments
  • Transient Ischemic Attack - Treatment

What was the treatment for your transient ischemic attack?

Post View 22 Comments
  • Transient Ischemic Attack - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your transient ischemic attack?

Post View 6 Comments

Medically reviewed by Joseph Carcione, DO; American board of Psychiatry and Neurology

Rothwell, PM "Effect of urgent treatment of transient ischemic attack and minor stroke on early recurrent stroke (EXPRESS study): a prospective population-based sequential comparison." Neurology. 2007 DOI:10.1016/S0140-6736(07)61448-2

Stroke.org. Transient Ischemic Attack (TIA): Prognosis and Key Management Considerations. ABCD2 Score.