Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Treatment

What treatments were effective for your trigeminal neuralgia?

Comment from: Lexi, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: August 08

I am seventy four years old and have suffered from trigeminal neuralgia pains for at least six years and from low back pain for the last eighteen months. On Friday, 12 May, 2017 during a remission period from the pains of trigeminal neuralgia I arranged a TAMARS (technology assisted mobilization and reflex simulation) appointment focusing on low back pain. During the hour-long treatment session the therapist manipulated the entire length of my spine. At times the pain was quite intense and when he concentrated pressure on the top section of my spine in the nape of my neck/base of my skull area I had to grind my teeth to cope with the severe pain. About twenty four hours after completion of the TAMARS manipulation I suddenly felt the return of dreaded trigeminal neuralgia pains in my right jaw. These pains remained for approximately two days and then ceased completely. During that two day period I had no pains whatever in my left jaw. Previous to the TAMARS treatment for about six years my trigeminal neuralgia pains had been exclusively embedded in the left side of my face. Three months later as I write this brief description of my experience I have not had any pains whatsoever in either side of my face following cessation of the pains in my right jaw. I am convinced that the TAMARS treatment initiated, albeit transiently, severe trigeminal neuralgia pains in my right jaw.

Comment from: Susie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 23

I have had atypical trigeminal neuralgia for 18 years! I have tried surgery, gamma knife, acupuncture, facial and cranial work, massage, medicines, etc. Last Saturday I began using legal CBD oil twice a day. It has brought some desperately awaited relief. I take it with my Tegretol and Vicodin and hope to wean myself off those medications soon. The CBD oil is used twice a day and has no side effects. It is legal in Ohio and Michigan and I am thankful beyond words to finally have more relief and hope.

Comment from: Sandy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 21

I have had trigeminal neuralgia (TN) now for around 2 years and have been put on Tegretol. I have been taking one 200 mg tablet each morning and had no problem for over a year. However, 10 days back I started getting shocks and couldn't eat, clean my teeth or even drink unless very slowly and only on my left side. So I upped the dose to 2 times 200mg and they stopped. As 2 other people I know have TN and use Lyrica, I asked my doctor if I should change and he said Tegretol is better.

Comment from: Mandy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 08

I had been suffering excruciating trigeminal neuralgia (TN) attacks for almost 8 years and I tried anti-seizure medicines, painkillers, and steroids with no respite apart from the temporary subsiding of pain. Desperate to find relief, I even contemplated surgery, however my fear of going under the knife made me opt for natural supplements, although being skeptical about natural medicines in general. I started googling about other alternative treatments and chanced upon Biogetica last year. It is an online medical portal that deals with Ayurvedic and homeopathic remedies. I contacted them through their doctors' helpline and started using their Freedom Kit with OM13 TNeuralgease Formula. The results have by far been the best I can boast of. The pain stopped just within 3 weeks of using the remedies and I have been pain free for the past 7 months now. Thank goodness, the nightmare has ended!

Comment from: motownkid68, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 20

My father at 74 suffered from trigeminal neuralgia and it had been going on for at least the last two years. Well, today (10-14-2015) he had surgery. I am so happy to say that he now is feeling 100 percent better; really, as he found a doctor that specializes in this procedure, and he's satisfied with the results. He is not so happy about them shaving his head on the left side and going in behind the ear with a 4 inch stitch but he is fixed.

Comment from: PAY, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

Trigeminal neuralgia has hit me three times in the last 3 years. I used over the counter Orajel and packed my jaw with a gauze to hold the Orajel in place. It helped a lot!

Comment from: silvergal, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 09

My left eye runs all the time, and I have pain in upper and left jaw from trigeminal neuralgia. I went to the dentist but the medicine he gave me does not take it away. It feels like nails in my jaw. I cannot eat hot food. I have my upper and lower plates. It feels like sharp needles in the jaw. I am going to the dentist tomorrow. The pain is so sharp, I need help.

Comment from: kml, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I've had TN for 5 years. It's bad. I was put on Lyrica, I took 9 pills. Did nothing for me. Now I'm on Carbamazipine and now take 7 1/2 - 200 mg. They make me drowsy and dizzy. So far no pain. I go for a MRI soon. I sure hope they can do something for me. Attacks are bad. I don't eat or move for 3 days. Last attack was end of May and now end of August.