Viewer Comments: Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain):

Trigeminal Neuralgia (Facial Nerve Pain) - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your trigeminal neuralgia (facial nerve pain)?

...
Comment from: Terry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

My pain started with a headache, which I thought at first was a migraine or sinusitis. Then the teeth started hurting, then the back of my neck. After a week the whole right side of my head was throbbing, and I had sharp shooting pains. I went to Urgent Care and after I told the doctor of my symptoms she said it probably was trigeminal neuralgia and I should probably see a neurologist. Luckily I am currently taking gabapentin so I bumped up the dosage to 2 3 times a day, and take either a Norco (7.5) or Fioricet. Needless to say as you all know the pain is terrible.

Comment from: Corky, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I suffered with trigeminal neuralgia years ago and took medication for it. It got better and I stopped medication. Recently I started having the shooting pain again on right side upper cheek. About 2 weeks ago my right eyelid swelled. I thought it was maybe allergy. After a couple days it was fine. Yesterday the same swelling reoccurred, this time with a little numb feeling and tingling in the upper left under brow of right eye.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 15

My trigeminal neuralgia started with ringing in my ears, pain behind my right ear, clear up the side of my face and across my forehead. I was sent to an eye, and ENT doctors, whom I seen several times. They wanted to get me hearing aids, said my dental work was causing it, and finally they referred me to a neurologist. I have been treated by her for 3 years. She prescribed amitriptyline, 2 at bed time (10mg) and it was a godsend. I didn't have any more trouble until a week and a half ago when it acted up again. I have seen her today and she upped the prescription by 5 mg. It is too early to tell if that does the trick, I just got them today. Like I read somewhere saying the pain is unbearable, it is and I can stand witness to that. I am an 83 year old and have never had such pain in my life and I have been through a lot.

Comment from: Mariee, 45-54 (Patient) Published: September 08

I recently went to the doctor because I have had numbness on my entire face when riding in the car with the wind blowing. After that I have experienced horrible pain in my eyes and over my eyebrow over into my ear. I have had trigeminal neuralgia episodes like this with a knife like pain in my ear many times before. This is the worst ever. It feels like sandpaper rubbing on my skin just to touch it, and kills just to blink my eyes. I hope I get an answer.

Comment from: Daw and, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I have recently suffered trigeminal neuralgia to the nerves in my face left side. The pain was along the top teeth, cheek, eye, and ear tingling. Very painful and is similar to tooth pain. I have also experienced migraine recently. I suffer with high blood pressure and take propranolol 160 mg. I wonder if these two conditions are connected.

Comment from: leseylou1970, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I've just been diagnosed with trigeminal neuralgia (TMN). I've tried gabapentin but had to stop after side effects and now been prescribed Tylenol. I'm going mad with the pain! I'm finding I've got pain now that has started at the back of the head behind the left ear and is so painful, it is only leaving me for a few seconds at a time before it's another attack, the pain then radiates all the way through the face. I'm only adding because I have hydrocephalus also and my shunt is also on that side (the same side my TMN has happened) so I'm just ruling that out. This pain has only been happening for the last five days but has been happening day and night since. No pain relief works either.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 04

I suffer severe facial pains. It started after having a root canal done on the upper tooth on my right side.

Comment from: Maryalice, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 07

I had what was called burning mouth syndrome. A friend told me to try gabapentin. It worked great for my tongue but I realized that I also had pain inside my entire mouth, back of my tongue, sometimes my ear and throat and it moves to the other side. I cannot eat anything without experiencing a good deal of pain. The pain increases as the day goes on. Just the brushing of my teeth to the inside of my mouth is very painful. I don't have an electric type of shock. I have a pain that is constant and nothing relieves it. I have an appointment with a neurologist later this month. I have many auto-immune diseases such as scleroderma and Sjogren's disease. I wonder if it is trigeminal neuralgia.

...