- histamine-2 blockers,
- proton pump inhibitors (PPIs),
- coating drugs, and
- promotility drugs.
Must Read Articles:
Acid Reflux Disease (GERD)Acid reflux (GERD) is caused by acid backing up from the stomach. Causes of acid reflux include smoking, obesity, alcohol, medications, diet, and other medical conditions. Symptoms of acid reflux include heartburn, acid indigestion, dry cough, hoarseness, wheezing, and more. Treatment of acid reflux include lifestyle changes and medication.
LaryngitisLaryngitis means inflammation or swelling of the voice box (larynx). Laryngitis can be caused by overusing the voice, bacterial or fungal, infections, or infections like TB or syphilis. Laryngitis is contagious if it is caused by viral or bacterial infections. Common symptoms of laryngitis include: hoarseness, a feeling of tickling in the throat, fever, cough, congestion, or clearing the throat often. Some home remedies may be effective for treating laryngitis. If laryngitis does not resolve after a couple of weeks, medical care should be sought.
- a feeling of tickling in the throat,
- congestion, or
- clearing the throat often.
Some home remedies may be effective for treating laryngitis. If laryngitis does not resolve after a couple of weeks, medical care should be sought.
Expert Views and News
- Proton Pump Inhibitors Linked to Gastroenteritis
- Second Generic Zantac Recall Due to Contamination
- Generic Zantac Distribution Halted Worldwide
- GERD Reduction Overestimated After Gastric Bypass
- Popular Heartburn Drugs May Boost Death Risk: Study
- Analgesic-Antacid Combination Product Safety
- Antacid Medications With Aspirin
- Research Points to 'Smoking Gun' for PPI Risks
- Inflammation, Not Acid, Cause of GERD, Study
- FAQ: Heartburn Meds and Health Risks
GERD and Heartburn Medications Topic Guide - Medications and Vitamins
Esomeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor that decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach...learn more »
Rabeprazole is a proton pump inhibitor that decreases the amount of acid produced in the stomach...learn more »
Aluminum is a naturally occurring mineral. Aluminum hydroxide is an antacid...learn more »
Sucralfate is used short-term (up to 8 weeks) to treat an active duodenal ulcer.learn more »
Famotidine is used to treat and prevent ulcers in the stomach and intestines. It also treats conditions in which the stomach produces too much acid, such as ...learn more »
Cimetidine is a stomach acid reducer that is used to treat and prevent certain types of stomach ulcer. Cimetidine is also used to treat gastroesophageal ref...learn more »