Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)

What medication effectively treated your UTI? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gabi, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 23

My urinary tract infection (UTI) started with a running stomach and the following day I realized that my urine is red like blood. It's been 2 days now, on the second day I took Citro-soda, and the blood was still there but lighter this time.

Comment from: BrianaKlauss3244, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

After I finished Bactrim, my urinary tract infection (UTI) came back a week later. It did not work for me. My doctor told me to order the Lady Soma cranberry concentrate and I wasn't very hopeful because I'd read that research was inconclusive as to the effectiveness of cranberry. Well, I am happy to say that after 2 weeks of taking 2 cranberry concentrate a day, my symptoms are gone. No more frequency, burning or malaise. I am clear! I must say that the first 2 days I started them, I loaded up on water to flush it out and didn't fight urges to go. This really worked for me and I would recommend it to anyone who has this problem.

Comment from: OtherMother, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I get UTIs very frequently but keep a product called AZO on hand to help get rid of the pain until I can get to my doctor. The last time I went, they could not test my urine because of the AZO because it turns your urine dark orange. Since it was my regular doctor and they were familiar, they knew my symptoms and treated me with antibiotics. It helps to drink lots of water on a daily basis. I can tell when I'm not drinking enough water because my skin and scalp get very dry and itchy. I hope this helps someone. I am 71, and it seems the older I get, the more often I get these, but I think I put off going to the bathroom too long. We should go at the first urge.

Comment from: Coqui, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I take cranberry pills as a preventative (one a day) against UTIs. When I start having symptoms (which is usually every couple of months and has been going on for 20 years), I start taking a couple of cranberry pills every half hour until the symptoms disappear, or if I want a faster relief, I take Cipro twice a day for five days. I would love for these to be gone forever or to know other things I could do to prevent them.

Comment from: Leish, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

At the age of 15 I was taken to the hospital and discovered I had a kidney infection. I also found out I was pregnant. After a couple of years of having nothing, they finally started again, in the last two years I've been getting them every couple of months, and its always the same, they put me on antibiotics. I think the cause of my UTI is my oral contraceptive. After having my son, I was on the Depo Provera and I never had it once, it wasn't until I started taking the pill that they started happening frequently. At the moment its 3:15 in the morning, UTI is the reason I am not fast asleep right now, the symptoms are keeping me awake. I think it's definitely time we find a cure for this because I'm not sure about you, but I'm sick to death, already, of taking antibiotics and having to put up with this all the time.

Comment from: Jane, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Symptoms, I fell then go to hospital, said urinary tract infection. I lost strength. Had total,pelvic reconstruction. The doctor put me on generic for bactrim DS or septra. Doctor said take for,life to prevent them. I take them every day no UTI and no falling. Thanks for listening. The doctor wants to put a sling over my bladder bladder due to incontinence, so I have to see urologist.

Comment from: Julie Gee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Guys I just want to say that there is a very good product that WORKS and it's called D Mannose. I suffered from UTIs since 16 and was on antibiotics for most of my adult life until I became almost resistant to antibiotics. I researched self help sites and came across D Mannose. It not only worked within 48 hours but it also reduced my infections from 1 every 3/4 weeks to once a year or sometimes every 2 or so years. The discovery of D Mannose changed my life. It only works on the E Coli bacteria but most UTI's are caused by E Coli. I recently had an attack it did not work on and discovered it was not E Coli which is the first time in 10 years of taking D Mannose that I had to go to my GP to get antibiotics to clear it. Have a look at a site called Waterfall D Mannose which is where I get mine from as it's 100% pure. I was very angry with my GP and doctors at the hospital for not advising more patients to try this magic powder but I believe that many of them now do. Good luck

Comment from: hellojow, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Hi, I am a long term sufferer of UTI's. Actually I believe I have one right now. What always works for me is D-mannose. You can find it at vitamin shoppe. It is a simple sugar that the bacterial is attracted to. You basically flush out the bacteria. Try taking this every few hours are a few days.

Comment from: Ash, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

It is 6 a.m., and I have been up since 3 a.m. with this UTI. I am 21 years old and have had UTI occurrences since I was 15. It has become worse over the last six months. For me, antibiotics work; however, I feel that I need something that will last longer. I can't keep running to the doctor every four weeks. Levaquin is great, but it takes too long. Sometimes my doctor gives me a shot right away, which relieves pain fast.

Comment from: skeeter8, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had a urinary tract infection on and off for about 6 years now. This past year and currently I have had 7-9 UTI's already given antibiotics for. Since April I have been bleeding, passing clots and it is getting worse. I have not had insurance since then, which I normally took care of things. It can not be from intercourse since my husband has passed away 3 years ago. Do not wear tight pants, cotton panties should be worn, do not drink and I do not know what else could be causing this. It does get scary and I would like to know what else I should do. If anyone has can answer please let me know.

Comment from: francoise, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I used to take Citro-Soda when I suffered from UTIs, but then a pharmacist suggested fluconazole. The relief was very fast – I take one tablet only whenever I get symptoms.

Comment from: kimlc59, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have noticed that if I drink milk products, I will have a UTI. This includes milk, chocolate milk, ice cream and sherbet. I am able to ingest yogurt and any other type of cheese product. So, if you are experiencing multiple problems with UTIs, you may want to experiment with your diet. For me, the symptoms begin within a week or less, depending on how much and how often I partake. For instance, if I have a 1/4 cup of ice cream, I am OK. If I have more than that, and more than one day, a UTI begins. If I persist, it will move to the kidneys. I hope this helps! By the way, I am almost 50 now, and this has held true for my entire life.

Comment from: 27 year old, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 27 years old and have gotten maybe nine urinary tract infections in my life and find that LEVAQUIN works best for me. I see results within three hours. Amoxicillon works also, but I think slower. Levaquin is taken 1 times a day and Amoxicillon is 3 times a day, so maybe that's why Levaquin works quickly because it's stronger. I depend on Levaquin because I know it works that I always ask my doctor to give me a refill, because I think every woman should have that as a home remedy in case your infection occurs while you're on vacation or on Sunday night where it's hard to get a doctor.

Comment from: Marie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I used to get a urinary tract infection (UTI) every 4-6 weeks. This went on for years, and every time I was prescribed antibiotics. I think I was becoming immune to them cause they just were not working. Finally, a physicians assistant at my doctor's office suggested I start D-Mannose. It is a dietary supplement. I started the D-mannose and within two days I was symptom and pain free. Now I take D-mannose once a day and it keeps me from getting another UTI.

Comment from: releiver, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am 28 and live in the United Kingdom. I have been getting urinary tract infections since i was 15. I have had an cystoscopy and more antibiotics than i would dare count. A specialist put me on Macrodantin 100MG and for the last 6 months I haven't had any symptoms. I used to get an infection every month. Well recommended.

Comment from: meshortncrazy, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have been getting UTIs for the past eight years. When I delivered my son eight years ago, they had to cut my bladder. The only thing that really works for me is cranberry juice. The doctors even have had to cut and redesign my urethra, and I still got them.

Comment from: willow witch, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I keep getting an infection which starts off as just a pain in the lower abdomen. I get very hot, then back to normal, I use the toilet to pass urine more often, but don't seem to have any pain when urinating, I have lower back pain and in general feel a bit unwell. Urine tests never pick up an infection for at least 2-7 days by which time I'm in real pain. Then when the test shows even a little bit of nitrate in the urine I get given amoxicillin 500mgs to take 3 times a day I find that this works, but takes at least 3 -5 days to feel any relief. I get a bubbling feeling in my lower abdomen as well.

Comment from: 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 21 and I've had reoccurring UTIs for my entire life. The only thing that helps is lots and lots of cranberry juice. Specifically cranberry juice, not juice cocktail, try looking for 28 percent cranberry or higher.

Comment from: Squizza, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

Phenazopyridine helped me a lot for my UTIs, although it discolors the urine and stains clothing, etc.

Comment from: NULL, Published: July 07

I was diagnosed with urinary tract infection, & my doctor prescription Sepirin Forte Tabs 160/800 mg. I have been taking the Tabs twice a day, but there is little or no change to date. I am a female 77 years old, incidentally this is my first time to ever have UTI, I have been drinking loads of plain water but to no avail.

Comment from: NULL, Published: July 07

I have had UTIs several times in my 62 years and always find drinking lots and lots of cranberry juice really helps. I have had to drink it during the night and also even on vacations. I drink as much as I possibly can all at one time (like a 2 litre bottle) and then keep drinking a glass every couple of hours. I usually try to keep it in the house for those late night or weekend attacks.

Comment from: Kali, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 17 years old now and I have been getting about 6-9 urinary tract infections a year since I was 15. It is the beginning of the year now and I have another urinary tract infection. It gets frustrating and I'm just glad to see that I'm not the only one who has to go through it.

Comment from: cris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I keep having urine infection (continuously urge to pee with some blood in the end which is really painful) I am 27, first time I was 5 then started again when I was 16 and had started the pill (had infection every 5 months), the last 3 years I stopped the pill and I had no symptoms, now I started it again (2 months ago) and it came back. I will try cranberry juice I am so sick of going to the doctor antibiotics work slow for me same time as treated naturally.

Comment from: damaris, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am so sick of getting this infection. When I was single I hardly got A UTI but now that I am married for 2 years, I get them a lot. Can anybody explain to me if it is because of intercourse with my husband? Or what? I have been reading a lot of the comments it scares me more thinking that getting pregnant could make it worse, because I do want to have a child. Thank you to all of you for reminding me to drink a lot of cranberry juice and water. I also wrote down some of the medication some of you have suggested.

Comment from: ThisSucks, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 24 and think I'm having my first UTI. Of course, it's also when I should be getting my menstrual cycle, so I thought the pain near my bladder, frequent urination, and blood in the toilet where normal. The burning was consistently painful (to the point of crying), and not a normal system. Plus the blood was in the toilet, not on my pad. Now I have to wait until morning to call a doctor to get medication since I didn't realize until 5 hours had passed that this must be a UTI (lack of exposure makes it easy to not know). Oh, lack of insurance will also make this even more fun.

Comment from: Petrified, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am 21 Years old and my UTIs started when I was 16. This year I have had UTI 11 times. 90% of the time, intercourse brings on the infection. I now avoid all spicy foods, eat plain yogurt, avoid dairy products, fizzy cool drinks and alcohol. UTI has affected my relationship as I am petrified to have intercourse. Antibiotics are a quick fix, I feel UTI is forcing me to change my entire lifestyle.

Comment from: nony, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm a 50 year old female and having my second UTI in several months. My Doctor prescribes nitrofurantoin and it does very well for me. This time I think I have a kidney infection because I have a fever and was vomiting. Hopefully I'm starting to get better.

Comment from: Ashley, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I only drink water, at least a cup an hour. Recently i have been going out on weekends and drinking alcohol a lot more than usual and not much water. Immediately the UTI's come back. When I go to restaurants I order water or ice tea to drink, not soda, I also noticed that when I drink soda the UTI's start to kick in. When I feel the urge to pee I chug a full cup of water before I go to the bathroom so I have an ample amount of pee to stop the pain.

Comment from: Jimmy, 3-6 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 07

I have a son 3 years old having UTI. Before 1 year he was diagnosed and until now he has been continuously on antibiotic medicine called Septra which we give him 5 ml every night. Is this the right medicine we are giving him? Any permanent solution to this? Is it ok to give antibiotics for such long time?

Comment from: sicko, 45-54 Female Published: July 07

Constantly need to go bathroom and when I wipe there is blood.

American Academy of Family Physicians. "Urinary Tract Infection During Pregnancy." April 2006. <http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/urinary-tract-infections-during-pregnancy/>.

American Urological Association. "What Is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)?" May 25, 2015. <http://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/urinary-tract-infections-in-adults>.

Barini-García, Magda, and Kristene Whitmore. "Urinary Tract Infection Fact Sheet." Dec. 23, 2014. <http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/urinary-tract-infection.html#h>.

Hooton, Thomas M. "Patient Information: Urinary Tract Infections in Adolescents and Adults (Beyond the Basics)." May 29, 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/urinary-tract-infections-in-adolescents-and-adults-beyond-the-basics?source=see_link>.

Kodner, Charles M., and Emily K. Thomas Gupton. "Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections in Women: Diagnosis and Management." Sept. 15, 2010. <http://www.aafp.org/afp/2010/0915/p638.html>.