Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)

Please describe your experience with a UTI. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Shana, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I have stayed with urinary tract infections (UTI) for almost 20 years. I have been treating it, but unfortunately it later comes back and not because I get infected again. I have used most of antibiotics for treating UTI, with injections but all in vein. I was found with a cyst on the left of my ovary. I do feel severe headaches and also severe abdominal pains.

Comment from: mayatath2, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am very susceptible to urinary tract infections (UTI). I used to be on daily antibiotics as a preventative medicine, but after a couple years those really started to do a number on my whole body. On the very infrequent occasion where I feel like a UTI is coming on, I immediately take a double dose (4 pills) of the Lady Soma cranberry concentrate, and that knocks it out pronto. The vast majority of the time, the Lady Soma cranberry concentrate is very effective at preventing the UTIs from happening to begin with.

Comment from: Pamela E., 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 30

I had my first urinary tract infection (UTI) in 2015 at age 55 and still do not know why. I went to my doctor and took an antibiotic to cure it. Last week, I developed the same symptoms as we all know. Instead of contacting my doctor, I drank about 3 ounces of cranberry juice 3 times a day and took 2 pills of vitamin B2. I always drink 2 quarts of water each day so this may help others as well. After 3 days my symptoms are no longer there. Perhaps you may try this as it worked for me.

Comment from: Tigrrfeet9, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have a burning sensation 20 minutes before I need to go for urination, it is in the lower abdomen. There's no pain or anything, it's just like a hot feeling and then all of a sudden I feel I want to go to the toilet about 10 to 20 minutes later. There's no rush or anything I just go as normal. Then I go urinate and then nothing till the next time when I get the same sensation, then want to go to the toilet again. I wonder if I have a urinary tract infection.

Comment from: Asha Gandhi , 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 21

My wife has a metastatic breast cancer. She lost one kidney two years back and the other kidney is working 70 percent. Now she has ascites and urinary tract infection (UTI). After a long treatment UTI is not cured.

Comment from: ggv16, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm nearly 23 and I have been suffering from UTIs for the past four years. There is hardly a week that goes by without experiencing dark and cloudy urine, sharp pain at the end of my urethra, extreme pressure within my bladder, and burning, I also suffer from cold sweats, and occasionally there is blood. I've had kidney scans, numerous rounds of antibiotics, I've been to a urologist, who inserted a camera into my bladder, yet nothing has been found as to why I am so prone to infections. I've given up caffeine and sweets; I've limited my alcohol intake as well. I pee after sex and try to shower before and after, but I definitely think sex triggers it. The worst part is that I've lost partial control of my bladder and end up peeing myself from time to time, which is humiliating. In the past, I've been prescribed doxycycline and erythromycin for my skin, both of which have kept my UTIs at bay. I am just about to start on minocycline for my skin, which is also used to treat UTIs. However, I can't be prescribed these forever.

Comment from: Kels, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 07

If any of you are experiencing frequent UTI symptoms ask your physician about Interstitial Cystitis. This is a condition that affects the lining of the bladder and urethra causing similar, and sometimes frequent, UTI symptoms. Your doctor should send your urine to the lab for a urine culture to definitively rule out a bacterial infection (UTI) first. Many times women and men are treated for a UTI just because they have blood in their urine. However, having blood in the urine (in the absence of bacterial or white blood cells) does not necessarily mean you have a UTI.

Comment from: Cathe, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Spasms after urination that are painful. Cramping with blood. Last night the pain (cramping)woke me up, and when I went to the bathroom to urinate the urine was dark red. I had to take a pain pill and was finally able to go back to sleep. Again when I woke up, my urine was dark red with blood clots. I have urgency throughout the day with blood every time I urinate, but is usually pink not dark red. I had a hysterectomy when I was 36 and have already been through menopause.

Comment from: Shayah, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I've been getting UTI's since I was 15 years old, and it usually occurs after intercourse or when I drink too much soft drinks/sugary liquids. I used to get them once or twice every month and now it's about once every couple of months (which I'm so happy about!). Anyway, I chug at least 2 liters of water, pop 2 extra strength Tylenol and bam! The symptoms are gone within 20 minutes to half hour. I visited the doctor for UTI's about 2 times and since I discovered a quick, easy way to beat this horrible thing I didn't need to rush for some relief, thank god. I'm currently 20 years old, and what I do to relieve UTI's works for me. I haven't had any severe symptoms occur or any symptoms of Kidney stones or Kidney disease doing this.

Comment from: Cheryl53, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am 53 years old and am having my first UTI. My urethra feels constantly irritated. I tried to take Phenazopyrid, which helped the pain, but made me vomit so I am stuck with just Tylenol. Since I have had chronic sinus infections, I am scared my UTI may not be treated because I may be immune to certain antibiotics. I have been on Levaquin for 2 days now and still have irritated urethra.

Comment from: Ruby, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have had recurrent UTIs for about 10 years. I can get them about every fortnight. Cranberry doesn't help, have spent hundreds on this. I have been taking Macrodantin for 2 months lately, no UTIs, nice for a change but obviously can't take these forever (Dr prescribed this as I was on antibiotics so often he's trying a lengthy course just so I can have a break from UTIs). My doctor suggested shower urethra area before and after intercourse (just water, no soaps), not spontaneous but has helped. Also cotton tampons, most on the market are Rayon. I try to have intercourse in the morning so I can guzzle water for the rest of the day and flush bladder. If I do it before bedtime and only urinate once I usually can be guaranteed of waking up at 3am with UTI. Also a personal lubricant made from Kiwi fruit plant is really good. Hope some tips help. Reassured I'm not the only lady who experiences this. As I've read in other posts here, this can really get you down and affect your relationship and make you anxious.

Comment from: Why me, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm a 21 year old female and I'm currently having my zillionth urinary tract infection. In fact I feel on the edge of almost everyday but it's times like these where I'm stuck in the bathroom sculling water and crying. I have been to the doctors. Got the usual antibiotics but mostly I just have to drink water and cranberry juice and ride it out as I just don't have the time nor ability to get out of the house and go to the doctors everytime. I have had ultrasounds, blood tests etc. but nothing to explain the cause. I try to avoid alcohol, sugary drinks, baths/spas etc. Always pee after sex ALWAYS and yet it always finds a way. I had one or two years ago but as of last December it's been an ongoing battle. I keep a pack of uricleanse on me at all times just in case. Which seems to work but I need something more sustainable, it's taking over my life and making me very very unhappy.

Comment from: Mike, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

Symptoms are simply burning urination; no blood.

Comment from: iliri, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I have a red scrotum with white bumps for six months now. Also, my urine is cloudy and has lots of foam. In the past six months, I've seen a urologist more than 10 times. He has given me Cipro a few times. I get a little better, and soon after, start having problems again. I have frequent urination, burning after ejaculation, and a vibrating sensation in my testicle.

Comment from: MAMA, Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm in my early 40s and never experienced a UTI. I really don't want to go to the doctor, so I've been treating myself at home. The thing I'd Iike to know is how I got it. The doctor prescribed a new medication and I've been taking it for about two weeks now. When I read the side effects, this wasn't mentioned. The only other thing I've really changed is that I kind of got addicted to Twizzler licorice bites and I've been snacking on them every chance I get. I'm thinking it may be something in the candy, but could that be possible? As I mentioned earlier I've never gone through this before. I've been married for the 10 years and have two small children. I know it's not caused from an STD. I'm just curious to see if eating one too many Twizzlers can cause this much pain.

Comment from: michelle, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have been experiencing recurring UTI's for over 10 years now. I have seen specialists and they tell me it is nothing serious. I have had to figure out my own cures since the doctors just try to give me antibiotics every time. There are a few key things that I have found to help: pee after sex, drink lots of water all the time, take cranberry + D-mannose supplements daily, and stay away from caffeine and alcohol. I hope this helps some of you out there!

Comment from: AnnaKitty, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am a 24 year old female. A few days ago I noticed a heavy discharge with light bleeding and figured it was menstrual. However, these last few days I've had difficulty fully emptying my bladder as well as sharp pain at the end of urination. I often go to the bathroom 3 times an hour due to frequent urges. I am going to try cranberry juice and lay off soda and dairy.

Comment from: Mel, 13-18 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm only 15, but I got one earlier this year and I would pee every single hour of the day. It would burn when I urinate, and I felt a ridiculous amount of pressure on my bladder. I'm starting to have the feeling that I may be getting it again because it burns a little when I urinate, and I'm feeling a lot of pressure at the moment on my bladder.

Comment from: Capt.solo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I noticed my urine was darker than normal. About two weeks later, I experienced upper abdominal pain on the right side after eating. The pain was sharp and strong, and always after eating. I took a strong dose of Augmentin (625 mg) pills and within 24 hours my urine color was back to a normal light straw yellow. Better yet, the stomach pains after eating have gone away. It's probably too early to be slapping myself on the back, but I think the Augmentin solved my urinary tract infection. Hope this helps someone with similar symptoms.

Comment from: GrannyO, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have been hospitalized twice in the last five months and both times I've had a UTI. Now, a nurse tells me that UTIs can make a person dizzy, unsteady, and even fall, which I had done in both cases. The second one resulted in a concussion which made me quite ill. Basically she is telling me that the UTI came first then the fall. But, I have no symptoms of a UTI.

Comment from: Bonnie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Mine spread to my kidney and I landed in ICU. Now 10 days later they say the antibiotics worked so now I am home. Yesterday I had a urine test and was told it is okay, but I still feel vey bad.

Comment from: Capergal, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My UTI symptoms include the need to void more often, burning with urination, and a general overall fatigue. I have just discovered I have a problem with my urethra - it moves and it shouldn't. I think that this may be causing the recurrent UTIs.

Comment from: Dawn, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 07

My husband has severe pain in the lower left side in the back. Dr. said it was a urinary infection. He is taking antibiotics.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

Symptoms of my urinary tract infection were pain, burning upon urination, frequency turned to urgency with no ability to urinate anymore, very tired, and so painful I couldn't get up. Antibiotics given and within a few days, symptoms gone.

Comment from: Paula, 25-34 Female Published: July 07

Symptoms of urinary tract infection (UTI) that I usually experience are painful urination, urgency to urinate, very small volumes or urine, and also my back hurts. I was experiencing UTI symptoms plus candidiasis every 15 days. However, after reading about alternatives to antibiotics, I tried virgin coconut oil (three tablespoons a day). It's been more than a month and I have no UTI-candidiasis. It seems it works really well as a natural antibiotic, antifungal, etc. I'm very happy for not taking antibiotics for quite a while so far.

Comment from: jimimac, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

The symptoms of my urinary tract infection were that when I pee, it just dribbles out and if I have a bowel movement the pain goes away for a short time. Sitting brings the pain back.

Comment from: chronic sufferer, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My current symptoms are pelvic pain, lower back pain, bloating, chills, pain when urinating, some blood in urine but it's not noticeable until I wipe...The only way I have gotten the pain to subside until I can go to the doctor is by 1) Drinking A LOT of water consistently 2) Cranberry pills, I've taken 5 in the past 2 hours 3)Constantly urinating as soon as I have the urge 4)Taking an over the counter anti-inflammatory pain reliever 5)Sitting in a warm/hot bath for 30 minutes, which helped with the pain until the medicine started taking effect.

Comment from: Female Published: July 07

Have had severe vaginal burning for a couple of weeks. Gave my doctor a urine sample and he did blood work. His nurse just called and told me that I have UTI and has called Walgreens so that I can pick up a prescription. Will let you know more lately, but I knew that I was suffering, but it took the doctor quite a while to do anything about it. Should have been taken care of much sooner.

Comment from: juanida55, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I just have pressure right now since Saturday morning. My stomach is bloated and my bladder feels full but isn't. It has been 2 days already since 12/17. My urine hasn't burned or been cloudy but I'm scared because the last time i got an UTI was 30 years ago. Maybe someone can help. I am 56 years old.

Comment from: GERALD, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I want some help from you people, because with this issue I have been with it for three years and I have tried to take some medication like zethro but all in vein am not seeing any changes and before I never had the problem of bad dis odor from my urine but now I need help because it might weaken my manhood.

Comment from: carla1663, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

When I have a UTI, I have adominal pain burns when urinating and a really bad odor to my urine back pain too.

Comment from: aw, 7-12 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 07

I never had UTI until I became sexually active, so this leads me to believe your partner may need to maintain his/her hygiene better. When I married the second time I only experience UTI twice in my 7 year relationship with my current husband, where as I had more with my first and we were in a relationship 6 years.

Comment from: 55-64 Male Published: July 07

I know it's mostly women who get UTI's but I am a 57 year old male and get them frequently. Antibiotics have knocked them out each time. I do have an enlarged prostate and I think that's the biggest cause.

Comment from: kcam, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have that annoying pressure like I have to urinate constantly. Even after "voiding" the feeling is still there. Usually drinking lots of cranberry juice helps my UTI; it just takes awhile.

Comment from: 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I had my first UTI in my 40's - hot day outside activity - not frequent elimination or drinking fluids. Over a weekend, no docs available - So painful and bleeding occurred. Drank a gallon of cranberry juice and water. By Monday when I saw a doctor the symptoms were gone. Since age 70 I have an episode at least once a year and since age 75 it is getting to be 2-3 times a year. I struggle to drink a lot of water; have an urgency problem and if out probably don't drink enough fluid and don't take time to wait for extra drop of elimination. Symptoms are more urgency than usual; sometimes only a few drops on elimination; painful elimination - burning. No bleeding since my first UTI at 40. Urinating makes me shudder all the way to my neck. I have been diagnosed with diabetes II.

Comment from: afowl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

The only thing that helped me with my urinary tract infection (UTI) after suffering for years was when my urologist streched my urethra. It has been 5 years since I had an infection.

Comment from: Diana, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I experienced frequent urgent urination, fatigue, and mild body aches when I get a urinary tract infection.

Comment from: Sally, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: July 07

A catheter was put in my husband (either before or after fractured hip surgery. He was sitting in a chair with the drain tube folded under him. There were IV fluids going into him. His testicles and other parts of his body were holding the fluids. He has been in rehab for more than three weeks. The nurse says they cannot remove the catheter because they might not get it back in. I am worried about this.

Comment from: jacqueline77, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

My doctor and I came to the conclusion that I get frequent UTI's from sexual intercourse. We started a regiment of 500mg of Amoxicillin every time I have sex. It has reduced my frequency of UTI's from once a month to maybe once every 6 months. It is not a cure-all since UTI's can be caused by different sources (E-coli, vaginal mucus, and lubricants), but it does relieve my fears of having a UTI every time I have sex. Try discussing this option with your doctor and you feel that your UTI's coincide with your sexual activities.

Comment from: shawnyettatillman, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I am 31 years old I have UTI's all the time and it seems like I'm immune to all the antibiotics I went to the doctor today they prescribed me Keflex I'm going to see how this goes hopefully it will take care of it I'm sick of taking medicine and the UTI doesn't go away!

Comment from: nbdavis, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I have severe pain that started with pain when I urinated but now is constant and very painful. The doctor prescribed cyproflocacin and I have taken all but 1 pill and the pain is now extreme and constant.

Comment from: African Decent, 55-64 Female Published: July 07

Urge to urinate frequently. Burning sensations after urination has occurred. I have tried curing it with cranberry juice and water. I am still suffering after a week.

Comment from: Michele, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: July 07

Mom has had frequent UTI's for the past year and most of that time been on antibiotics for one or more bugs. Antibiotics are like a double edged sword in that they destroy bad bacteria as well as the good bacteria in the body. After moms last UTI she had been getting mega doses of good bacteria as a supplement in the diet to restore her body's healthy floura. Our formula is to give her 4 capsules of Probiotics with a half teaspoon of FOS (nutra flora food for probiotics)plus Beepropolis 3 times a day. These supplements are antiviral, antifungal and anti bad bacteria that helps restore her immune system and minimize a recurrent UTI.

Comment from: shock, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I didn't even know I had an infection, (no burning or any signs). Until I started wetting the bed every night 4-3 nights, the last night before I saw the doctor. I was awake in bed and the only reason I knew I wet the bed is because it was warm. I had no feeling wanting to go to the toilet at all.

Comment from: Spears, 13-18 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I'm 15 and my doctor says I have a UTI and my mom tells me when I got home from school that I need to go pick up my Amoxicillin after school. I didn't understand when she told me the symptoms that the doctor told to her on the phone. I wasn't having any pains or trouble urinating, but I do have to go quite frequently, like every 25-30 minutes no lie.

Comment from: Chills, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 07

I experienced serious fever the first day I got infected. Also a serious headache with pain being felt in the muscles and bones. I damaged my urethral lining through masturbation.

Comment from: frumpy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 07

I hesitate to write this, but I will anyway. I read somewhere that careful prostitutes wash their partner's penis before any sex. Not saying that we're that kind of person, but if you suspect your marriage or relationship partner isn't being as careful with his hygiene, this might help. I'm 74 and we're still sexually active!

Pain at the end of peeing and always feel like I have to urinate.

American Academy of Family Physicians. "Urinary Tract Infection During Pregnancy." April 2006. <http://americanpregnancy.org/pregnancy-complications/urinary-tract-infections-during-pregnancy/>.

American Urological Association. "What Is a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)?" May 25, 2015. <http://www.urologyhealth.org/urologic-conditions/urinary-tract-infections-in-adults>.

Barini-García, Magda, and Kristene Whitmore. "Urinary Tract Infection Fact Sheet." Dec. 23, 2014. <http://womenshealth.gov/publications/our-publications/fact-sheet/urinary-tract-infection.html#h>.

Hooton, Thomas M. "Patient Information: Urinary Tract Infections in Adolescents and Adults (Beyond the Basics)." May 29, 2015. <http://www.uptodate.com/contents/urinary-tract-infections-in-adolescents-and-adults-beyond-the-basics?source=see_link>.

Kodner, Charles M., and Emily K. Thomas Gupton. "Recurrent Urinary Tract Infections in Women: Diagnosis and Management." Sept. 15, 2010. <http://www.aafp.org/afp/2010/0915/p638.html>.