Uterine Fibroids

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus). Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Hania , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have been suffering with uterine fibroids for almost 10 years now. I had a myomectomy and a laparoscopy done but the fibroids keep coming back. Fortunately for me I do not have heavy bleeding but unfortunately though I have very painful periods, back and leg pain and the fibroids also affected my fertility. I have been trying to conceive for 7 years but nothing has happened.

Comment from: Golden , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

I have been told I have a 21 cm uterine fibroid but doctors don't seem to be concerned. I have no symptoms other than constant bowel problems and bloating, and my stomach looks like I am six months pregnant. I feel confused and don't know what to do as all I get from doctors is Fybogel to relieve constipation.

Comment from: fidela, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I have had two myomectomies for uterine fibroids, abdominal in 05/2012 and laparoscopy in 02/2014. I have never been pregnant; not to my knowing. I'm feeling hopeless and the fibroids are growing again. The doctor said that it looks like I may need another myomectomy. I know that I have a fibroid the size of a goose egg (6 cm).

Comment from: nataki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I am a 39 year old female who was diagnosed with fibroids at the age of 28. A myomectomy was done and 4 fibroids were removed, the largest the size of a golf ball. I had not been actively trying after the surgery, however I now want a child and have one fibroid the size of a 4 month old baby. HSG (hysterosalpingography) was done, and Clomid done (2 cycles). Blood test done, telling me that i am producing viable eggs (not much though). Doctor is telling me I am ovulating normally. Dear hubby was put on Proviron to strengthen his swimmers but to no avail, it was not consistent.

Comment from: blessed, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

I recently had a hysteroscopic myomectomy to remove a 3 cm submucosal fibroid. Prior to the procedure I was having heavy cycles but they were manageable. My first month after the procedure, cycle was very heavy and I wasn't expecting it to happen. My second cycle was even heavier with gushing blood, soaked pads and clothes. My doctor put me on birth control to control the bleeding. My third month cycle was even worse. During my second and third month cycle my blood level has dropped causing me to have anemia. My follow-up after the procedure happened before my second and third cycles, and the doctor said she removed the fibroid and everything looked good. Every month since my procedure I have called my doctor and had many visits because something wasn't right. This procedure was supposed to make things better. Finally during my last visit I wanted answers as to what is happening. They kept saying I had heavy abnormal bleeding but it wasn't like that before. During my last visit my doctor finally told me that there was a portion of the fibroid left which was contradictory to the original diagnosis and post-procedure follow-up. The remaining piece could be causing the problem, but she didn't request an ultrasound to see what was going on. However, she had me to do a blood test for my thyroid because that could cause heavy bleeding also. I got a second opinion from another doctor and he found that the remaining fibroid was 4 cm and was submucosal. So the fibroid was not 3 cm but 7 cm. I am so frustrated because I have anemia that I didn't have before, and I have to have another procedure to remove the remaining fibroid.

Comment from: julie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

I spent a few years rather anemic with my hair falling out - my doctor didn't even know to point out losing lots of blood would mean I am iron deficient. All I was offered was a hysterectomy for my uterine fibroids. I looked up various sites and found things like hormone regulators to control the estrogen levels. I found herbal teas to cleanse - chemists sell heavy period tablets to control bleeding (but I recommend you see a doctor for those). Changing diet, excluding animal products, and using turmeric helped.

Comment from: maria , 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

I have been suffering with uterine fibroids for almost 10 years now. I had a myomectomy and a laparoscopy done but the fibroids keep coming back. Fortunately for me I do not have heavy bleeding but unfortunately though I have very painful periods, back and leg pain and the fibroids also affected my fertility. I have been trying to conceive for 7 years but nothing happened. In addition to the fibroids, I also have endometriosis and cysts. I tried almost everything and nothing seems to work.

Comment from: SashaS., 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: May 22

I have been experiencing these sharp pains at least daily from 8th of May till even now, 19th of May and I have been mistaking it to be cramps, but it seems not, because my periods are not dropping yet. The pain is constant most especially in the nights. I wonder if this could be uterine fibroids.

Comment from: shei, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I am 37 and have an 11 year old daughter. I stopped taking pills in January because my husband and I were trying to get pregnant. As soon as I stopped the pill, my period was heavy. I just ignored it because I thought it was just normal when you stop the pill. I took supplements later and my period was still heavy. About 5 months later the doctor gave me Ova-mit to help me produce eggs when I ovulate. Then just about 2 weeks after I took them (I was asked to take 5 starting on the first day of my menses), I experienced a sharp pain in my lower abdomen which went to my back. I went to the doctor then to have an ultrasound and found out I have 2 fibroids which are about 3 cm. The doctor told me not to be alarmed about it but will monitor its progress. I am taking my supplements from Usana which I have heard will help decrease their size. I have read a lot that even if you had it removed, there's a tendency that more will grow back. So I will stick to this option first.

Comment from: E, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I know we women are amazing pain-tolerators, but reading these stories is blowing me away. On Monday, I went to a new gynecologist complaining of overly heavy periods, and this Friday, I'm having a laparoscopic hysterectomy (keeping my ovaries to avoid early menopause). I'm 47, so child-bearing is not an issue. But looking back now, I can't believe how many life-upsetting symptoms I've tolerated for so long and am beyond happy to know they're going to go away. With a myomectomy, the fibroids will surely come back, so it's only a good option if you're trying to have kids. And waiting for menopause? Nope. Who knows when that will happen! I want my energy back and my body back. Goodbye bloating and bladder/bowel issues and pain and bleeding. Life is too short. Not all surgeons are trained to do the laparoscopic procedure because it's still relatively new. But if your uterus is swollen up to a 3 month pregnancy size (like mine), you can be a candidate. We are tough, ladies, and we can take a lot. But again, I believe life is way too short to be putting up with so much discomfort when an outpatient procedure can remove every single symptom. This isn't your mama's hysterectomy! After getting over the shock of needing surgery, I'm now truly excited about restoring my body to normal functions (and no more periods; just in time for summer.

Comment from: kay, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I am a 44 year patient who is suffering from uterine fibroids. However, I don't have problem with bleeding but am getting serious back pain and have recently experienced a uterus prolapse because of the fibroid pressing on my womb. I don't want to get surgery because I have keloid skin and don't want another scar on my body.

Comment from: lollybear, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I had my uterus removed. I had multiples fibroids and one looked the size of a baby's head when it was removed. I kept my cervix and my ovaries but now I'm starting to bleed off and on and cramping like I'm on my period.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female Published: October 07

I was told I had a small uterine fibroid but didn't have to worry about it. However, I had cramping, back pain, the feeling of needing to urinate, and anemia. I was given iron pills for anemia and birth control pills to decrease bleeding. Unfortunately, I was in the small percentage of people who didn't tolerate iron by mouth. (I experienced nausea and vomiting.) So, I ended up getting iron via an IV. I think the birth control pills "fed" the uterine fibroids, and I ended up getting an emergency myomectomy because the fibroids caused me to hemorrhage. The doctor thought the fibroid was much smaller than it was, but she didn't know until she operated. My advice is to take care of them and not just take pain pills. I ended up on disability because I was so weak from anemia. However, after surgery, I never had any more cramps, back pain, the bleeding was miniscule, and I was like a new person. It took three months to recover though, because I had been anemic.

Comment from: Much Faith, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I am a 39-year-old black female. I have had problems with bleeding since I was in my early 20s. Birth control helped with the heavy bleeding. I became pregnant in April of 2009, and I had a miscarriage at seven-and-a-half weeks. In September of this year, I was told that the uterine fibroids had returned, but just in the last two months, the pain has increased. I will be celebrating my one-year anniversary this month, and my husband and I are still trying to have a baby. So, I really don't want to have surgery. I am going to schedule a hysterosalpingogram (HSG) this month to determine where the uterine fibroids are and if they are blocking me from conceiving.

Comment from: yams41, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have uterine fibroids and have had them for years. When my OB/GYN first told me I had fibroids, we decided to take the watch-and-wait route because I didn't have any problems. Now about 10 years later, I have severe/killer cramps, backaches, and constipation. I do not want to have a hysterectomy and my doctor also feels the same. Since I am close to menopause, he suggests that I keep playing the waiting game. I don't have any heavy bleeding, probably thanks to the birth control pills that I take. I found that if I take a painkiller on the first sign of pain, it help lessens the severe cramps. I am also starting to watch my diet. I make sure to eat lots of fruits and vegetables and drink plenty of water. Exercise also helps reduce the cramping.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: September 11

I am a 24-year-old Latina. In August, I was experiencing severe pain in my abdomen, so I went to the ER to get it checked out. The doctor told me that I probably had kidney stones, and they could not see them with the ultrasound. He did not want to do a CT scan because of my age, so he gave me medicine to help me pass the stones. Two weeks ago, I had to return to the ER because I was having more severe pain. This time they did an abdominal and pelvic ultrasound. The doctor said the results were inconclusive. I followed up with my doctor, and she scheduled a trans-vag ultrasound, which I did yesterday. She called last night to tell me the results had not come back yet, but she got the full report of my ER visit. She then told me that it showed a uterine fibroid that I have had since 2004! Nobody ever told me that, and I gave birth in 2006. I cannot believe that I have lived with this for four, almost five, years and no one said anything. In late 2004 early 2005, I had an ultrasound performed because I had lower abdominal pain that the doctors wrote off as a UTI, which is funny because the only symptom I had was the pain. I didn't have any urinary symptoms at all. It also showed gallstones, which they also did not tell me about in the ER.

Comment from: CrK713, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

Thank you so much for this information. I was recently diagnosed with uterine Fibroids and for months, I couldn't understand what was wrong with me. This article explained so much, I feel better just knowing I'm not crazy and the symptoms are real.

Comment from: Yaya, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 03

I am 35 years old and my doctor just called and said I have many fibroids. I have to go in on Thursday to find out what is next. I want to have more children so I'm a bit worried.

Comment from: Trish, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 06

I am scheduled for a uterine ultrasound tomorrow because my gynecologist thinks I have fibroids. I'm 35 and am petrified that it is something else (cancer). The last 3 months I've noticed my lower stomach bulging a little and having to urinate more often.

Comment from: Annomous, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I was told by my doctor that my uterus was the size of a woman who is four months pregnant.

Comment from: Angeil, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 16

I am a 30-year-old female. I had been experiencing pain during intercourse and heavy bleeding during my cycles (five days). I would have really bad cramping as well. I went to my fertility doctor who noticed five fibroids. We did surgery a month later and she discovered eight more with three weighing a pound a piece. I am now recovering now and it's been about two months since the surgery and I feel so much better. No feeling of urinating or pressure in my lower abdominal area, and no pain during sex. Unfortunately the only way for us to get pregnant is IVF but that is our next step after I fully heal.

Comment from: dorah angela, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 28

I am 26 years of age and I found out that I have uterine fibroids. I was going into my periods and I had too much pain in the lower abdomen and the back was aching plus my legs.

Comment from: Rosemary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I've been having heavy bleeding. In March of this year I lost so much blood I had to have three units of blood a transfusion. It turns out I have fibroids was given a shot to stop the bleeding and it worked but after the six weeks when I got my period it was non-stop bleeding and I was supposed to have a biopsy wasn't able to so I got put on the birth control pills and it stop the bleeding, and I go in two days for a biopsy.

Comment from: Emma, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

I am 31 and have 3 small fibroids. I was diagnosed when i was 28. Last year i had to have a blood transfusion as I was so anemic. I have large clots every period I have and pain. I have tried the Mirena coil twice. Both times it fell out. I have been put on the pill now and have been bleeding non -top ever since I started taking them. I am hoping something can be done to help me.

Comment from: onek, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

Hello, I'm 30, Asian female, on December 2009 I was diagnosed multiple myoma and I just had my myomectomi surgery this year. I sensed a huge solid tumor in my abdomen accidently, cramping in each of my periods, frequent in urinating, started to constipation, bloating and vomiting after eating, pain in my lower back.

Comment from: nurse 81, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

I am 46 years old & have 3 fibroids that have caused my uterus to be the size of a woman who is 6 months pregnant. My clothes no longer fit and my periods are so heavy at times that I cannot leave the house. I have to have an abdominal hysterectomy due the size, as a vaginal hysterectomy will not work, as I was told. I have had 2 C-sections and I am scared facing another major abdominal surgery, but plan to do it in 2 months. I cannot live like this anymore. My periods are 3 weeks apart & last 5-7 days. This whole thing really stinks!

Comment from: jade whirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 15

I have fibroids. Two that are 6cm; one in my uterus and one growing on the back side of it. I have heavy flow, large blood clots and lots and lots of pain. I have pelvic pain, back pain, I have to pee all the time and I now have nerve damage or pain to my pelvic area. I think I will die of this because I do not have insurance and cannot afford the operation to have my uterus removed. I have gone to the doctor for this and had ultrasound done that is how I know the size. But I was told it would cost $25,000.00 which I do not have and I do not qualify for welfare.

Comment from: Leonie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

Have just symptoms of others and they are the same. I have had lower back pain like kidney pain and cannot sit or stand for too long. It makes me feel like I'm an old woman. I am only 42, two kids. For the last 3 months I have very heavy periods even where I could not leave the house and they now seem to be never-ending. My doctor said to wait. But I know that it is fibroids. My mother had them at the same age and had a hysterectomy. I do notice that if I am "good" with my food the pain tends to disappear or at least get less obvious. I'm coming back as a man next time!!!!

Comment from: Indian Female, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 30 years old and I had an operation for uterine fibroids about three months ago. We are planning to conceive. My doctor just found another fibroid and wants to operate again, which I don't want because I want to have a baby. I am deeply worried.

Comment from: ladyV, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 06

I am 57 years old, last period 3 years ago. Recently start bleeding for the pass 3 months. No history of HRT use. I have a history of fibroids, recent transvaginal ultrasound shows fibroids are small and no changes from 3 years ago exam. I thought fibroids were supposed to shrink when one get older, but apparently my fibroids found some estrogen along the way. My hormone levels show FSH 16 and LH 11 which is low level for 57 year old. My internist is referring me to GYN for possible biopsy to play it safe.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 04

Hi, I am 43 and have a son who is 7 and I had a miscarriage 3 years ago. My family has a history of fibrous growths (breast as well as uterus). Last year I had surgery for fibroids, endometriosis and a uterine cyst. Since early November '09 I have been experiencing pain in the lower abdomen near the ovaries. I again have a fibroid (growing thru the back wall of the uterus this time) and they are assuming endometriosis again as well. Surgery to remove the fibroid is on Jan. 5th 2010. They will check on/remove whatever else should not be there. I should say that my husband and I are still trying to have another child. So we really didn't want a hysterectomy. I have been on increasingly stronger pain medication as the time has progressed. Good luck to all who are going through this!

Comment from: debbie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

Some months ago, I was scared because I thought I would never be able to have children. I still have heavy bleeding, but my doctor said that I don't need surgery to remove the fibroid because it's small. She told me I will be okay.

Comment from: red, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 15

I have suffered from fibroids for at least 5 to 7 years. It first began when I was much younger around 14 - 15 with very heavy cycles, and I stayed undiagnosed due to my being overweight. Every doctor said I just needed to lose weight. Finally found a good doctor and she knew right off it was fibroids. She prescribed birth control pills and I just took ibuprofen for pain. Eventually, the pain got so bad and I was taking so much ibuprofen I became allergic to it, and I had the fibroids removed. About 2 to 3 years later the fibroids have returned, but I do not have the heavy bleeding like before or the intense pain. I am just taking a “watch and wait” approach to more surgery. I'm 32 now and don't want a hysterectomy.

Comment from: Italian-Canadian, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 07

I'm 49 yrs old and have had fibroids it seems forever. First 2 pregnancies were miscarriages from the fibroids. My son was born via c-section because fibroids were blocking the cervix. I had a myomectomy to remove the fibroids one year after his birth. Became pregnant with my daughter 4 years later and delivered her by c-section. Now 9 years later I have a fibroid the size of a football causing me severe cramping, bleeding constantly and clots the size of oranges. I've been hospitalized twice for the severe bleeding, and I have been on meds for years to control the bleeding. A hysterectomy is not recommended because surgeons are concerned that the uterus will be stuck to the other organs because of the 3 surgeries I've had. I'm under the care of another surgeon at the moment, and he has done a biopsy of the uterus to try and determine the best way to remove this mammoth of a fibroid.

Comment from: aunt bea, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

My doctors prescribed progesterone, and I have been taking it for the last two months. The result is that this has caused the fibroids and my uterus to prolapse. I am scheduled for surgery on the 9th of December.

Comment from: Tori, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 52 years old, and kept thinking that these heavy periods are going to come to an end. But they keep coming, disrupting my life, I have suffered with heavy periods for many years. I finally decided to go and have a uterine ablation done. They did an ultrasound, found out I have a 7cc Fibroid. So I was not a candidate for that procedure. After several months of still putting up with heavy periods, low iron, back pain and some urinary problems, I decided to have my uterus and cervix removed. The surgery is coming up next week, I am very nervous but I can't take it anymore!!!

Comment from: kitkat1851, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

Hello. I'm a 33 year old African American female. I had been experiencing severe pain in my lower back abdomen and shooting pains down my thighs. My abdomen area was hard and swollen. I went into the emergency room because I knew something was wrong. To make a long story short...I had large uterine fibroids. My uterus was enlarged. I had 3 big fibroids that caused my uterus to be the size of a woman 4 months pregnant. My doctor suggested that I get a partial hysterectomy. I have been married for 10 years and have a 14 year old son. My husband doesn't have any biological children of his own so, a hysterectomy was out of the question because we want another child. We have been trying to get pregnant for years. I went in to see my OBGYN. She knew my concerns and that I wanted more children so she suggested that I have another procedure. I really didn't want to have the surgery again, but if I don't have the procedure done, my chances of becoming pregnant are dramatically decreased. In the end, I'm having surgery at the end of November.

Comment from: quinonespearl, Female (Patient) Published: October 07

I'm 25 years old, and I just found out that I have a uterine fibroid the size of a walnut inside of my uterus! For seven years, I've been getting pain two weeks before my period, frequent urination, constipation, bloating and lower back pain. My gyno used to tell me that it was OK. When my pain got worse, I insisted on a sonogram!

Comment from: libralove10, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I have problems with a swollen uterus and is due for an xray and a follow. I have very bad pains in my abdomen pelvic area its hard for me to run play with my son and also lifting pulling and pushing. I have to sleep on my sides or my back( sometimes)I often have trouble sleeping. I feel like an 85 year old lady sometimes it hurts for me to get around sometimes and I'm only 25 yrs old!!! Good luck to all.

Comment from: yohan133, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I just went to my PCP and she did a pelvic exam. She told me that I have a large fibroid that she can feel and it is overlapping my bladder. Hence the reason my bladder is bothering me feeling like I need to urinate all the time. I have been feeling dizzy and lightheaded from a month ago when I had some extreme pain like cramping. Don't know what happened but I have been feeling weird ever since then. She is going to schedule me for an ultrasound in a month. My periods have been getting much worse and clots are the size of 50 cent pieces. I'm sure I'm anemic now but there is nothing I can do but wait.

Comment from: private, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I am 57 and have had multiple fibroids since my early 30s. The fibroids do not cause any major problems except I have a slightly "pregnant appearance". I was always under the impression that after menopause they would shrink. I had my last menstrual period in 2001 and the fibroids are still there. Its not that they are growing but they haven't shrunk either. I am disappointed that they haven't and I feel I was misled. I probably should have had a hysterectomy years ago. The medical community should emphasize that fibroids do not shrink.

Comment from: Barb1235, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 24 years old. In August I had pain in my lower right abdomen, and went to the E.R I was told I had ovarian cysts. I had a laparoscopy to remove the cysts. Every month since then I get pain about 10 days before my cycle. I've had CT scans and ultrasounds and nothing has shown other then free fluid. I recently switched GYN and he did an MRI 2days ago which show I have a small fibroid, now he tells me I need to have a hysterectomy within 5yrs. The only problem I have is the pain I really wish there was a way to deal with the pain without surgery. I really want to have another baby.

I found out I had a large uterine fibroid when I was pregnant. It was growing as fast as the baby and was really scary.

Medically reviewed by Steven Nelson, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology

eMedicine.com. Leiomyoma, uterus.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/405676-overview>

Parker, WH. Uterine Myomas: Management. Fertil Steril. 2007 Aug;88(2):255-71. Epub 2007 Jul 20.