Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?

Comment from: fibroids be gone, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I am a 28 year old African American female who was diagnosed with uterine fibroids by my gynecologist in 2011 (24 years old at the time). In 2011 I had the uterine artery embolization procedure which helped tremendously with the amount of bleeding I would have (not to gross you out but I would go through an ultra-sized tampon in 2 hours during the first few days of my menstrual cycle) due to the heavy bleeding. It took about 3 weeks to recover and I stayed in the hospital for only 1 day and was home the next. It was painful and I could not stand on my own for long periods of time for a couple of weeks. For symptoms, I have experienced urinary frequency (mostly at night during sleep where I would have to wake up just to go), bloating (recent), mood swings, leakage (recent), heavy bleeding, and abdominal pain/aching. I was blessed to conceive and give birth to my son in 2014 (after surgery) and now plan to meet with my obstetrician/gynecologist to discuss a myomectomy.

Comment from: Mrschiti64, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I am 51 1/2. I have had fibroids for the past 10 years. I had a cryoablation and D and C and nothing helped. I finally went on Junel 3 years ago, as a last resort before hysterectomy (which I don't want). It seemed to work just fine until last month when I had very heavy bleeding, and it felt like fire in my abdomen. I had 2 Junel a day for 10 days which staved off the heavy bleeding, but I have been bleeding on and off since 8/5; not super heavy but still have to wear 3 overnight pads each day for fear of a huge mess like before. I am told I look like a 4 month pregnancy and have all the same symptoms of that, back pain, frequent urination etc. I am now seeing doctor number 2 hoping for a noninvasive way to control the bleeding!

Comment from: Nixx, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I'm a 41 year old African-American female. I've suffered from horrible periods for years; painful, heavy, multiple clots lasting anywhere from 5 to 10 days. My issue resulted in severe anemia. The iron prescribed 3 times a day made me sicker, so for years I walked around with a hemoglobin between 7 to 8 (normal range is 13-15). I was told I had multiple fibroids in 2010 and a tilted uterus. At my well-visit this year I was told the fibroids had grown, one being very large equivalent to an 18 week old fetus, and my uterus was now also enlarged. I made the decision to have a hysterectomy being 41, single and no kids because it came down to my quality of life. I'm one week post operation from the da Vinci laparoscopic procedure. My doctor told me my uterus was approximately 659 cm. She said that is 13 times the size of a normal uterus! I'm just happy that damn thing is out of my body. Now I'm focusing on recovery because I have a new lease on life! I hope all women who have suffered these horrors find relief. We deserve better!

Comment from: rosco, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 03

I am a 50-year-old female diagnosed with fibroids about 5 years ago. I had very bad lower back pain about one week before my periods start. I had a very strange sensation in the uterus before and during my period. It sometimes feels like it's on fire. Sometimes I have weird pressure and bloating, and I have to urinate a lot. My periods are heavy, long, and clotty. I have ruined good work clothes dealing with this and trying to live with it. My doc of 23 years says, "They don't do hysterectomies nowadays.” He tells me that since I'm close to menopause to just wait and they will shrink. I'm tired of waiting. My belly looks large, and I really don't think I should be in this much pain and weak and dizzy.

Comment from: Mary, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 29

I have a grapefruit size tumor on my uterus. My symptoms were urinary leakage and frequency. I have had some episodes of abdominal cramps bloating and fatigue. I have been taking estrogen and progesterone in cream form for about five years now. I had an ultrasound and will follow up with urologist in a few days.

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Irregular vaginal bleeding can be caused by dysfunctional uterine bleeding (for example, unbalanced hormones that affect the menstrual cycle, and trauma), learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.