Uterine Fibroids

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mikael, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 20

I was diagnosed with several fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I live in the United States and have seen 6 doctors in 7 months that refuse to discuss my fibroids and their removal. My only option is birth control. I had severe reaction to the Mirena IUD (intrauterine device) and had to force the doctors to take it out. I was told this was my only option through my healthcare provider and they would be unable to stop my heavy bleeding from my menstrual cycle. I am still trying to get a hysterectomy.

Comment from: TC, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 07

I had two uterine fibroids removed a year ago. One was the size of an orange, the other a plum. I didn't have any symptoms until about a 6 months before surgery. No heavy bleeding, just painful sex. I was told by the sonogram tech that she couldn't believe no one had ever told me they were there. A few months after surgery, I still felt pain during sex. The doctor told me there were two more nickel sized ones. Imagine my frustration as I wondered why they didn't remove them during surgery.

Comment from: RithaRitha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am 40 years old and I have fibroids, 11 fibroids. No kids yet, trying. I don't have any pain but I bleed extremely heavy. After suffering for about 5 years, I went and had Acessa procedure done in March, 2016, now it is October 2016. I am still bleeding exactly the same, heavy, and my fibroids didn't shrink. I am very stressed, if I knew I should have not done it. I am not saying Acessa procedure is bad, but it didn't help me a bit. Thanks all.

Comment from: Fitflop, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was diagnosed with a 20 cm uterine fibroid when I was 48. Due to its position, I had had no heavy periods, etc., just got very bloated (but put it down to age). Eventually, having had a stomach bug, I realized there was a large solid mass in my abdomen and saw the doctor. I went for ultrasound and TV scans (which showed how large the fibroid was) and had a long discussion with the gynecologist as to the best treatment. The suggestion was made that I could wait for the menopause, but I realized that could be up to 8 years away and no guarantee the fibroid would shrink. I asked about a myomectomy and we agreed that I would take a drug to shrink the fibroid and a decision would be made when I returned in 3 months. In that time I chatted to loads of friends, many of whom had had fibroids. In several cases, they'd tried a myomectomy only to have more fibroids grow (and eventual hysterectomies). After 3 months, my fibroid had only shrunk to 16 cm and it was agreed that a hysterectomy was the best option. I had the operation a month later and after postoperative recovery time, have never looked back. I can breathe properly again, exercise (couldn't bend before as the lump pressed on my diaphragm) and have heaps of energy. Please don't think that hysterectomy is the end; as far as I'm concerned it was a new beginning. Whatever your choice, I wish you well.

Comment from: Kathleen O, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 52 years old and was told I have a fibroid that is 11cm. It was found after I went to emergency because I was bleeding really heavily with blood clots the size of golf balls!! The doc prescribed a pill that lessened the blood flow to spotting. I have an MRI scheduled for Dec.2nd to see if there is anything else there that I should be worried about like cysts etc. I was so scared before I found out what was wrong with me. Bloating 'constant back pain and heavy long lasting periods with spotting in between. It's a weight off my shoulders and even though I have to wait so long I am doing something about it. I want to have a hysterectomy and hope to leave my ovaries in so that my hormones are not affected too much. I hope The MRI will clear things up and help me with my decision. Apparently you have to have a D&C anyways even if you have the noninvasive embolization and then it may not work.

Comment from: Leesa craft, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 01

I had shoulder surgery 5 months ago. My periods stopped for four months, and now I have been bleeding for nearly five weeks. I am 45, pelvic internal and external exam were normal, and Pap smear normal. I wonder if it is because of uterine fibroids.

Comment from: Desperate & Hoping, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am a 40 year old female from South Africa. I have been diagnosed 2 days ago with fibroids and I also have upper left abdominal pain. I am in my second marriage and my husband has no kids. We have been trying to fall pregnant for the last 9 months and nothing. I also have not had a period for 3 months. Most of my periods have been extremely painful with blood clots and heavy bleeding. I am seeing my doctor again on Monday, for her to diagnose further and advise what steps we will take to overcome all these barriers. I read that drinking bicarbonate of soda with Apple Cider Vinegar also reduces fibroids. I'm willing to try anything right now.

Comment from: madame B, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

I have been examined over 12 weeks for bladder infection, kidney stones, gallbladder problems, they now say it's the colon and the back, however, I have had a period for 11 days now, it's heavy and uncomfortable, I still have the pain in the side and my lower back is very painful, the doctors and hospital have never listened when I told them I missed 4 periods and now 2 people have said it could be fibroids. All the money spent the pain incurred and it could be something the doctor hasn't looked into.

Comment from: Susie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am 27 years old and I was diagnosed with fibroids. It's been 5-6 months since I had a period and I went in to see my Gynecologist and he did a pelvic exam. He said he saw and felt a fibroid about 4cm big. He sent me in for an ultrasound and blood work and called me the next day to tell me the results. He said that it was actually much larger than he originally said. He said it`s 10 cm and my uterus is 9cm. I have always been irregular my whole life going as far as 3-4 months with no period and then having it but 5-6 months was starting to alarm me. My stomach felt pregnant and heavy and with no period. I was for sure thinking something's up. I have a 5 year old so the feeling you get in your lower abdomen was feeling rather similar. Well I am pregnant, but with this darn fibroid! My abdomen feels bloated and tight and heavy. I have these pains I can't explain and I am rather confused because I have no period and from what I read fibroids usually cause heavy bleeding. I'm not sure what to do.

Comment from: Tired ot this, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: March 21

I am 33 years old. I had my first surgery in 2007, where the doctor removed a grapefruit-sized fibroid along with 7 smaller ones. In 2013 I had them removed again. This time I had 17 fibroids. I do not have any kids, but I am married. My doctor refuses to give me a hysterectomy. I have been having these problems all my adult life. I just want it to be over with.

Comment from: Marie1534, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 18

I am 24 years old and have I fibroid the size of a tennis ball. I am going to get a myomectomy because it is causing me pain already and my periods are so heavy. Also I want to have children in the next year or two. I will have to have C-sections with my children due to the surgery which I will take that over the risk of interrupting a pregnancy.

Comment from: ribbon in the sky, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 28

I had the surgery to remove my fibroids. They were large in growth, my doctor said they were all together the size of a five month pregnancy. Before the surgery I experienced lots of bleeding, pain and longer periods. I had the surgery to remove my fibroids, but there were so many they could only remove the larger ones. The pain after the surgery was the worst pain I have ever experienced besides childbirth. Now four years later, I still have some small fibroids I have some pain from them. I have one in my bowel area so I have constipation. Hopefully I will go thru menopause soon and they will stop growing.

Comment from: odornell, 25-34 Female (Caregiver) Published: May 09

I had my first surgery at the age of 18 and a second one at the age of 27. I still feel pain from my fibroids Three years after my last surgery, my doctor wants to do another to make sure that I am able to give birth someday.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 28

I didn't have much pain, but did have lots of bleeding I had Mirena inserted to stop the bleeding. I didn't have periods, only spotting for about six months. I noticed my stomach was getting bigger, but since I was 38, I thought it was just a sign of middle age. One night I woke up with stomach pain. My doctor performed an ultrasound and asked if I had ever been diagnosed with fibroids. A hysterectomy was recommended. By then I was 46, had my family, and was fine with that option. I thought they might be able to do laparoscopic surgery, but the fibroid was too big. What was supposed to be a 60- to 90- minute operation turned into 6 hours. The fibroid weighed 6 kg. I haven't looked backed: the operation was great and I have no more pain. I walked out of hospital 7kg lighter.

Comment from: scaredy cat, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I was diagnosed with fibroids in 2006 when I was 42. I am now 48 and have been living with them and waiting for menopause because I am terrified of surgery. I was on the pill, but I had a bad reaction when my carrier switched brands they would cover at a low price. I have had my stomach blow up to where I looked six months pregnant and then passed clots. I recently passed about six clots that felt like I was giving birth. Other than that I haven't had any pain. A friend suggested that I take a supplement called Vitex. It is available at most vitamin stores. I have since started buying it online. I recently switched multivitamins and the new one has Vitex in it. So I am taking twice as much as I used to. I haven't had many clots since and I don't bleed between periods any longer. I usually have one really bad day that I have to change every hour. Other than that it's bearable. I haven't been to the doctor since March 2010 because he thought I should have surgery. Although my fibroids are annoying I am living with them.

Comment from: Niecy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I'm in my early 40s, and I've been having problems with my period since my early 20s. I have four fibroids on my uterus. It's causing me so much pain when my period is on 5-7 days, I have cramping, I can't get out of bed because of no energy with being an anemic. I have back pain, and irregular and heavy periods with blood clots. I've had three D&Cs to scrape my uterus. I have taken birth control and nothing has worked. This runs in my family.

Comment from: wilson, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 30

I woke up seven weeks ago on a Sunday hurting so bad didn't know what was wrong. I went to the ER that night and did ultrasound and found a fibroid. It was the size of a soccer ball. I've finally had it removed.

Comment from: Bedella, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am a 45 yea old mother with three childern. Within the last year I have been diagnosed with uterine fibroids. I've had the ultrasounds done and has found several fibroids some being as large as 3.5 cm. In the last couple of years I have experienced lower abdomen pain, swelling and heavy bleeding. For some reason, my doctor is not very concerned.

Comment from: 19-24 Female Published: April 10

I am 21 and I recently was diagnosed with a uterine fibroid. By the time I discovered it, it was 11 cm. I had never ending periods for eight months and abnormal periods for two years. Birth control pills could not control it. I was diagnosed with severe anemia six months before the doctors realized it was a fibroid.

Comment from: sunshine1973, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 39 years old and have fibroids. I already had one surgery performed in 2009, a myomectomy. The surgery was not successful because they came right back. I still have all of the heavy bleeding, a lot of pain, and my stomach have grew large! I am going to try something else as soon as I have another ultrasound. Good luck to all of you.

Comment from: kim850, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 19

I am 48 years old. I started having very heavy periods every two weeks. I felt like I was wearing a diaper to bed because I had to start wearing overnight pads and still had to get up in the middle of the night to change them, sometimes two to three times a night. I'm not one to go to the doctor very often ...but after six months of heavy bleeding, feeling like I was ALWAYS on my period and getting very worn out I went to the gynecologist. She gave me two options: take medicine to put me in menopause which would take about 6 months and fibroids MIGHT shrink or have a hysterectomy. I chose the hysterectomy because I did not want to back in the same situation six months later. The day after surgery I was feeling so much but I wish I hadn't waited so long.

Comment from: Tabby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 08

I am 47 years old and have an enlarged uterus, and I am anemic due to uterine fibroids. I have very heavy periods with large blood clots. I am now without health insurance and cannot afford the sonogram that I have been advised to have and am not eligible for Medicaid. I have been told that the fibroids would shrink as my estrogen levels drop with age. I do not believe this because this past month I bled for 16 days. (For the previous five months, I had clots with a cycle lasting 7-8 days. I hope to have insurance soon and get this issue resolved and have some relief from this finally. I feel for anyone that is enduring this. When I had insurance in place, the doctors would not perform a hysterectomy, which is now what I am told is needed.

Comment from: jazzie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 02

I am 49 years old and have been experiencing lower back pain, frequent urination and pelvic pain. I had an ultrasound a year ago and was told I had both fibroids and cysts. My doctor did not give me any advice. I now have an appointment with a different gynecologist and will have another ultrasound done to see if they have grown. I was told by my previous doctor that the cysts and not the fibroids would be the cause of lower back pain.

Comment from: Ely, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I am 23 years old and I have two wonderful girls. I found out summer of 2011 that I had fibroids again I don't know anyone at my age that has this. It's scary. Not even my mother has them or knew what it was when I told her. Also no one in my family as in sisters, aunts or grandmothers had this nor of cancer in the uterus. I am still in pain on my right side where it is at and my stomach is growing as if I were pregnant. I do also miss some periods, which shouldn't happen due to me being on birth control. The doctor still assures me that I could still have the third child that my husband and I had planned on.

Comment from: j4, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I had a large fibroid the size of a melon and had it surgically removed some years ago but I now have three in its place.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I am a 37-year-old female with fibroids. During my cycle time it gets unbearable. I have very bad cramps also heavy bleeding which cause me to go through two packs of pads when I use to need only one. I have backaches and have constipation.

Comment from: Dedei, 25-34 Female Published: October 31

I was told by my doctor that I have a fibroid when I was 14 weeks pregnant and I had a full term pregnancy and I gave birth to a 6-lb baby girl.

Comment from: Tall Lady, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I was diagnosed with fibroids after noticing heavy bleeding and spotting between periods. I am 27 and decided to do the hysterscopic procedure which is when they surgically remove the fibroid. I had this procedure done and i was put to sleep and awoke with minimal pain. The only thing with this procedure is i may have to have it done again as when they removed the big fibroid they noticed another one behind it. It is difficult because I feel I am too young to have a hysterectomy as I have no kids. I hope only one more procedure is needed but my doctor advised me it could be more than one needed. I had this done as of last week and I am back to work and doing fine. I'm scared to continue to have this done but I keep the faith. I am 5'11" and 212lbs. I have been working out as they say that can be a factor.

Comment from: Frosty, Female (Patient) Published: September 13

I'm 47 years old. I found that I had multiple fibroids when I was 42. I don't have any bad symptoms, so I didn't do anything except for checking them every 6 months. Now there are two 6cmX7cm big ones, and many small ones. Recently I feel that I go to washroom more frequently. I'm 122 pounds with a small stomach. The fibroids take lots of my stomach room. Other than that, I don't have other symptoms. However, I can feel the two big fibroids bulging out in my stomach. My GYN gave me four options: doing nothing; Lupron; Uterine artery embolization; and hysterectomy. I don't know which option I should choose. I intend to take Ulterine artery embolization. I already arranged a MRI exam and then see what the result is. I'm glad that I'm not along and that I can share my experience with all of you.

Comment from: RMK, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 09

These posts are so helpful in making me feel not so alone in dealing with the pain of fibroids. I'm a 43 year old woman, and I currently have at least one fibroid. Last I checked 6 months ago it was the size of a tennis ball, but I'm sure it has grown. I had an IUD but had to have it removed because the fibroid pushed it into my cervix (ouch!). I had a myomectomy 6 years ago for a fibroid the size of a cantaloupe. I thought I was done, but now I have pain again, heavy bleeding, and a swollen uterus that makes my clothes not fit. It's depressing and exhausting. While fertility was a concern previously, I have since adopted my new husband's children and we have decided not to have children together. But I still don't want a hysterectomy! I'm looking into my options, but thanks for providing a forum for this discussion.

Comment from: Voiteck, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I'm 54 and have had fibroids for many years .I have three fibroids in the wall of the uterus, the largest is 9 cm. and my uterus is the size of a 4 mo. pregnancy. I don't want to give up my organs unless absolutely necessary as there seems to be some link between hysterectomy and lung cancer. Menopause is on the horizon so I'm in the wait / hurry-up mode.

Comment from: Feeling too tired, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I'm 24 years old. I'm very heavy weight ( 5'7” 264 lbs) and when I went to the emergency room because I had excessive bleeding and clots bigger or the size of silver dollars. I feared a miscarriage. I've been trying for a baby to give my 5 year old daughter someone to play with before she gets too old. When I was told I had fibroids and that it wasn't a miscarriage they gave me some pain medication and told me I needed to see a doctor and it was common, not to worry. I've been bleeding for two months and just these past couple of days I've been feeling really tired. Abnormally tired. I want to be able to have babies in the future but I fear with my fibroids I'll never have children again.

Comment from: Tracy, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I am just so glad I am not alone, here. I have always had heavy periods. 11 years ago my ob/gyn found my first fibroid when I was pregnant. I have been on a wait a see mode ever since then. I can no longer take this. It is debilitating! I can't control my urine, the cramps are horrible and my back aches. I didn't have insurance and went to the free clinic and they ordered the ultrasound that shows I now have multiple fibroids and an enlarged uterus. I have avoided sex with my husband for over a year because it is painful. I finally now have state sponsored insurance (I pay a smaller premium) and will go back to my doctor as soon as I get my card. I wish I had let him do the surgery years ago! I am in the bathroom every hour changing my ultra tampon and passing clots. Today, I have felt so bad, I'm weak and my vision is a little off. They tell you they are nothing to worry about, but unless you have suffered the symptoms, you can't imagine! I feel like I am bleeding to death!

Comment from: Brandi, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I am 44 years old. I have had three miscarriages, with the last one I was told that I had a small fibroid but that it shouldn't be a problem with me getting pregnant again. Well, I went 7 months without a period and I was told it was stress. I started having my periods again but they were heavier with blob clots and I ended up having them every day for a year. I went to another OB and he said the fibroid was the size of a tennis ball, so he put me on 10mg of Provera, it took 6 months for it to work, it controlled my bleeding but then I was having trouble with depression so he put me on depression pills. So I am now scheduled for a hysterectomy in August, I am scared. I have no children but I don't want to be depressed and on all different kinds of medicines.

Comment from: msjenny, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

I am a 47 year old who goes to the doctor every year for pap smears and necessary visits. About 2 years ago my doctor told me I had 3 fibroids. Unfortunately one was the size of a golf ball. He suggested that he would watch it. My fibroids were growing every time I went to the doctor, about every 3 months. I just recently I had a very bad and painful period. I went back to the doctor and he found that my largest fibroid was the size of a grapefruit. After 2 years he decides it time to do something about this issue. I was scheduled for surgery 3 months ago, and had to cancel because I'm anemic and my iron was too low. Now I have to have the surgery 3 months later imagine what the size of the fibroids will be then. I think that doctors should not wait to watch the fibroids when they are constantly growing. Once it's discovered that they are growing the situation should be taken care of then. If you have fibroids and they are relatively small ask the doctor what options are available to you then, there are other options besides a hysterectomy you just have to inquire about them. By the time I found out about other options my fibroids were long gone and overgrown.

Comment from: Raven, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I am 48 and probably approaching menopause. I have had really heavy periods and am house bound for days. My period lasts from 7-10 days. I also experience clots, like plums or oranges, and feel them pass. I am awaiting my verdict but feel that my doctor will take the path of tablets. My sister had an endometrial resection which I feel that I should have.

Comment from: Annette, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 25

I had the uterine fibroid embolization in 2009. I did not suffer from bleeding or cramps but I did experience frequent urination. My fibroids have since grown back and I really don't know what to do. I don't like surgery but I am trying to look at all my options.

Comment from: christine, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I had a uterine fibroid removed and everything went well. It was done under sedation and there was no pain to recover from I felt a little groggy from being put to sleep, but I woke up feeling great and there was nothing to be scared off.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had a large fibroid removed after a miscarriage when I was 39. It was done by keyhole and being my first experience of this, it is quite painful and takes a very long time. I was in a very sleepy and sick state from early morning until late into the night. However, the scar tissue was minimal and a complete success so worth the discomfort of the procedure.

Comment from: BK, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 07

I am 46 and I have uterine fibroids. My Doctor told me that I need to have a hysterectomy. I keep asking if there is any other way to take care of the fibroids other than having a hysterectomy but because of my heavy periods, large clots during my period, bad cramps and severe anemia I really don't have an option even though I am scared to death to have the surgery due to my history of blood clots in my left leg. So today I will schedule my surgery for next week, a few days after my 47 birthday. I really hope and pray the surgery is a success because have been dealing with this for 24 years.

Published: March 25

I had a lot of stomach pain and lower back. Very anemic. Looked up one of the leading doctors in the south and made an appointment. Had the MRI and he said I have 4 fibroids said go home and watch and wait. I am not on Medicare or Medicaid only insurance. I don't think they want to deal with insurance companies. Still living with pain.

Medically reviewed by Steven Nelson, MD; Board Certified Obstetrics and Gynecology

eMedicine.com. Leiomyoma, uterus.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/405676-overview>

Parker, WH. Uterine Myomas: Management. Fertil Steril. 2007 Aug;88(2):255-71. Epub 2007 Jul 20.