Viewer Comments: Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Outlook and Prognosis

Did you have your uterine fibroids removed? Describe your experience and prognosis.

...
Comment from: RithaRitha, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I am 40 years old and I have fibroids, 11 fibroids. No kids yet, trying. I don't have any pain but I bleed extremely heavy. After suffering for about 5 years, I went and had Acessa procedure done in March, 2016, now it is October 2016. I am still bleeding exactly the same, heavy, and my fibroids didn't shrink. I am very stressed, if I knew I should have not done it. I am not saying Acessa procedure is bad, but it didn't help me a bit. Thanks all.

Comment from: Fitflop, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 24

I was diagnosed with a 20 cm uterine fibroid when I was 48. Due to its position, I had had no heavy periods, etc., just got very bloated (but put it down to age). Eventually, having had a stomach bug, I realized there was a large solid mass in my abdomen and saw the doctor. I went for ultrasound and TV scans (which showed how large the fibroid was) and had a long discussion with the gynecologist as to the best treatment. The suggestion was made that I could wait for the menopause, but I realized that could be up to 8 years away and no guarantee the fibroid would shrink. I asked about a myomectomy and we agreed that I would take a drug to shrink the fibroid and a decision would be made when I returned in 3 months. In that time I chatted to loads of friends, many of whom had had fibroids. In several cases, they'd tried a myomectomy only to have more fibroids grow (and eventual hysterectomies). After 3 months, my fibroid had only shrunk to 16 cm and it was agreed that a hysterectomy was the best option. I had the operation a month later and after postoperative recovery time, have never looked back. I can breathe properly again, exercise (couldn't bend before as the lump pressed on my diaphragm) and have heaps of energy. Please don't think that hysterectomy is the end; as far as I'm concerned it was a new beginning. Whatever your choice, I wish you well.

Comment from: Kathleen O, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 16

I am 52 years old and was told I have a fibroid that is 11cm. It was found after I went to emergency because I was bleeding really heavily with blood clots the size of golf balls!! The doc prescribed a pill that lessened the blood flow to spotting. I have an MRI scheduled for Dec.2nd to see if there is anything else there that I should be worried about like cysts etc. I was so scared before I found out what was wrong with me. Bloating 'constant back pain and heavy long lasting periods with spotting in between. It's a weight off my shoulders and even though I have to wait so long I am doing something about it. I want to have a hysterectomy and hope to leave my ovaries in so that my hormones are not affected too much. I hope The MRI will clear things up and help me with my decision. Apparently you have to have a D&C anyways even if you have the noninvasive embolization and then it may not work.

Comment from: Desperate & Hoping, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

I am a 40 year old female from South Africa. I have been diagnosed 2 days ago with fibroids and I also have upper left abdominal pain. I am in my second marriage and my husband has no kids. We have been trying to fall pregnant for the last 9 months and nothing. I also have not had a period for 3 months. Most of my periods have been extremely painful with blood clots and heavy bleeding. I am seeing my doctor again on Monday, for her to diagnose further and advise what steps we will take to overcome all these barriers. I read that drinking bicarbonate of soda with Apple Cider Vinegar also reduces fibroids. I'm willing to try anything right now.

Comment from: madame B, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 08

I have been examined over 12 weeks for bladder infection, kidney stones, gallbladder problems, they now say it's the colon and the back, however, I have had a period for 11 days now, it's heavy and uncomfortable, I still have the pain in the side and my lower back is very painful, the doctors and hospital have never listened when I told them I missed 4 periods and now 2 people have said it could be fibroids. All the money spent the pain incurred and it could be something the doctor hasn't looked into.

Comment from: Susie, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I am 27 years old and I was diagnosed with fibroids. It's been 5-6 months since I had a period and I went in to see my Gynecologist and he did a pelvic exam. He said he saw and felt a fibroid about 4cm big. He sent me in for an ultrasound and blood work and called me the next day to tell me the results. He said that it was actually much larger than he originally said. He said it`s 10 cm and my uterus is 9cm. I have always been irregular my whole life going as far as 3-4 months with no period and then having it but 5-6 months was starting to alarm me. My stomach felt pregnant and heavy and with no period. I was for sure thinking something's up. I have a 5 year old so the feeling you get in your lower abdomen was feeling rather similar. Well I am pregnant, but with this darn fibroid! My abdomen feels bloated and tight and heavy. I have these pains I can't explain and I am rather confused because I have no period and from what I read fibroids usually cause heavy bleeding. I'm not sure what to do.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Uterine Fibroids

Vaginal Bleeding
Vaginal Bleeding Irregular vaginal bleeding can be caused by dysfunctional uterine bleeding (for example, unbalanced hormones that affect the menstrual cycle, and trauma), learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Uterine Fibroids:

Uterine Fibroids - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with uterine fibroids (benign tumors of the uterus).

Uterine Fibroids - Symptoms

What are your symptoms of uterine fibroid?