Vaginal Infections

What was your experience with vaginal infections? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Mariya, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 15

I've had yeast and thrush infection since I was 11 years old (I'm 24 now). When I first went to the gynecologist she advised I was apparently young and most probably there were a lot of hormonal issues going on. She gave treatment for my bacterial vaginosis and said my skin was just too sensitive. After I finished my treatment after a month or so I was feeling ok, but in couple of weeks the infections came back. I went to my general physician (GP) this time, she also prescribed me pills, but nothing worked. As a child I was also constantly ill, so I had to take a lot of antibiotics, but nobody told me it will make my yeast and thrush infection worse! Five years ago my problem got even worse, there was no longer that little itch and a bit of burning sensation, it was so painful I couldn't walk! I then went to another professional and he prescribed me 3 month course of pills, which helped me a lot. I started to feel better, however, I was also having another problem; since I had my first period I was having very heavy and painful periods, heavy bleeding, and diarrhea. I went to the GP and he advised me to try and take the pill and that this might sort both of my problems. So, I went on the pill and the first month was actually ok, my period was normal, almost no pain. During the second month my thrush came back! I had a lot of hormonal issues, I had problems sleeping during the years, and that got worse. So, I stopped the pill and just refused to see doctors anymore. For a whole year I was with non-stop yeast and thrush infections, everything was itchy, burning, painful, red and swollen. The amount of disgusting discharge was unbelievable. I was always tired, but blamed the infection, stress and work. Apparently something was wrong with my immune system, so 2 months ago I decided to give it one last chance and went to the GP. She said we needed to check for diabetes or anemia as a lot of women have thrush if they have one of those conditions. I found I was in fact anemic, and I had huge deficit of iron. She prescribed me iron pills for 6 months ad said that this might also help my infection. I've been taking the iron pills for a month now and I have energy! I can run! No headache, no breathing issues, and yeast and thrush infection got better. I only have minor swelling and itching before and after period, but the rest of the time it's fine! Also, the GP prescribed me a very nice cream for the itch, Timodine! You might have a burning sensation the first few minutes, but then it removes the pain and itch. I hope I could help! Good luck!

Comment from: worry wart, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

I am a diabetic type 2 since 2000. My A1c have been good, 6.6 was the last one. I had sex in November. I experienced a discharge and burning that same night. I used a condom, but not sure if it stayed intact. I was treated for vaginal yeast infection. Discharge changed to brownish, then yellowish green. I told doctor, got a shot and doxycycline and it seemed to clear for 2 weeks. I have treated myself every week since with yeast medicines and garlic a few times at night. Still every other day it is back to itching. I don't know what to do. I am negative for HIV, and negative for everything but he treated me anyway and it did clear up for a bit.

Comment from: Mbali, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: July 09

I've been sick on and off for a month and have been taking different antibiotics prescribed by my doctor. I have a bit of vaginal swelling, and my urine is constantly yellowish regardless of my drinking lots of water. I'm not sure what to do, I wonder if I could have a severe infection.

Comment from: kris ann, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 11

Actually I feel all of the vaginal infection symptoms since last September 30. But they were gone when I changed my soap. Now I use my old soap so it came back! I don't know how to prevent this. It started when my boyfriend and I had sex. He put a lotion on himself and then after that I have been experiencing this!

Comment from: Ntombi, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

I have a problem with my clitoris which is itching and this usually happens when I am stressed. The pimple like itch disappears after a few days and it is back again when I am worried about something. I wonder if it a vaginal infection that flares up.

Comment from: Vee, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 19

Please try taking a daily capsule for IBS (irritable bowel syndrome). I battled for years with vaginal infections till I started this and 3 years now not a bit of thrush.

Comment from: My mother, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 06

I don't have vaginal infections but my mom does. The doctor tried everything to help her but every night before she goes to bed she has a terrible pain. So I studied and studied and I think it has got to be only vaginal infection. The doctors can't find anything and I am so worried. She said she is fine but she isn't. I am only 12 and figuring it out. I love my mom.

Comment from: racheal, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: January 20

I had this vaginal infection which my doctor treated me then. Now I had my period and I used a new pad which I have not used before, it is for the first time. I discovered I started having itching in my vagina and the following day after I finished my period I started to have discharge.

Comment from: t, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

My vagina is itching and smelling, and I have a yellow discharge, sometimes white, due to vaginal infection.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had burning, swelling, soreness and itching. I had treated it as a yeast infection a few times but it came back so I went to the OB. She looked and said it was BV and prescribed 3 Clyndamicin suppositories. Everything was great for a week. The symptoms were back and were much worse. They prescribed metronidizole 500mg twice a day, after 3 days of taking the pill my symptoms were even worse, severe pain, swelling, severe itching, tenderness, soreness. I went back to the OB and they took two samples. I now have a yeast infection on top of the BV, they are not sure what is causing the BV (they will know Monday). They gave me a pill for the yeast infection and 3 more doses of clyndimicin suppositories and told me to continue taking the metronidizole. Also they said cortisone for the skin in that area. I'm still pretty miserable. This has been a horrible experience. They wanted to test me again for STD's but I'm in a monogamous relationship and have already been tested. I will post the outcome on Monday.

Comment from: Ruth, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I just want the drugs for vaginal infection, I am just tired of it.

Comment from: Liana, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I had terrible vaginal infections. Once the discharge is out, the skin irritation itchiness occurs. Thanks to my diet rich in garlic and turmeric, I don't have these symptoms anymore. I can feel it is still there but life is as normal as it used to be. Prior to following the diet rich in garlic (around seven whole garlic pieces and a pinch of turmeric powder in my cooking), I had suffered since last year the symptoms of vaginal infections.

Comment from: MerinaNYC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

My experience with chronic, antibiotic resistant bacterial vaginosis is that I have constant lower pelvic pain. I have read this is NOT a symptom, but I will state unequivocally that along with the burn and the odor this pain has been present almost non-stop. This pain is not PID, endometriosis or anything else. My doctor did a D&C with hysteroscopy as well as pelvic ultrasound and those causes were ruled out. It is very frustrating to read such misinformation about bacterial vaginosis. Clearly there is not nearly enough research. How about the possibility that the antibiotic resistant strains that have clearly developed in some women actually cause more severe symptoms? I am living proof and my doctors don't have a clue at this point how to further help me. This has diminished the quality of my life tremendously.

Comment from: anynomous, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 11

I've been battling vaginal infections for the past few years. My gynecologist prescribed Metrogel, which cleared it up, and then I got a yeast infection.

Comment from: sick and tired, 25-34 Female Published: October 04

I constantly keep getting yeast infections with the white cottage like discharge. This is so depressing for me. I have had three yeast infections in the past fifty days. I take medication but it always comes back. I came across this site and am relieved to know that I am not the only woman suffering from recurring yeast infections. I have heard before that recurrent yeast infections could be a symptom of diabetes and my friend who is a nurse encourages me to drink plenty of water, not to submerge my private parts in water, avoid the use of regular soap down there, and not to wear thong underwear. I'm going to try her advice.

Comment from: boku, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 08

I've had recurrent vaginal infections, almost my entire adult life. A couple of times it's itchy. Then I get medication and it clears, but I never stop discharging, and when I see my doctor and run some tests, they find nothing.

Comment from: allergic, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: February 07

For my vaginal infections, I get a heavy white discharge (like lotion), odorless. The first time I had this type of infection was when I had sex with my actual husband (only sexual partner) and my doctor told back then (13 years ago) that I should use condoms to protect myself. I used to trust my partner and did not protect myself. I moved to U.S. and a doctor told me that the discharge was normal, some people has more than others. So for the next five years I learned to live with all that discharge. I returned back to Puerto Rico and this time my vagina was inflamed with all that discharge and I went back to my first doctor. He told me that it was a bad infection and that I should not trust my partner and should start to protect myself. My partner was upset with me, but I did it and since then, more than three years ago, I've been free of vaginal infections, plus I am not with my partner anymore.

Comment from: alia, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: January 13

I am 25 years old and got married in last march 2010, but after marriage, my problems started, i e. irregular periods, urine burning problems and even I am trying 2 get pregnant but failed to do so. I went to a doctor as well, but she said that I have an infection. She gave me some tablets used those but it didn't work out at all. I got periods but I wanted 2 get pregnant. I tried but again my problem has started. I have missed periods, did pregnancy tests and it shows a negative result. I feel stress. Sometimes I am very tense. The doctors are not getting me. I don't know what to do.

Comment from: Joanna, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 22

I have a bacteria vaginosis and it's very uncomfortable. My doctor prescribes me the Metronidazole 500mg for seven days and the discharge still persists. Then I follow up with my doctor and she said that she couldn't prescribe me anything else because that's how my body was.

• Vaginal Infections - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your vaginal infections?

Post View 16 Comments
  • Vaginal Infection Self-Care - Home Remedies

What was the effective home remedies for your vaginal infection?

Post View 2 Comments

ACOG Committee on Practice Bulletins--Gynecology. ACOG Practice Bulletin. Clinical management guidelines for obstetrician-gynecologists, Number 72, May 2006: Vaginitis. Obstet Gynecol. 2006 May;107(5):1195-1206.

Gor, HB, MD. "Vaginitis." Medscape. Updated: Nov 13, 2017.
<http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/257141-overview>