Vaginal Prolapse

What caused your vaginal prolapse? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Ruth, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 24

I am a patient of vaginal prolapse and also have been a care-giver for many years! My problems started after coming off hormone replacement therapy (HRT) recently. I have always been a very active person. I have always walked everywhere as I have never had a car. I do heavy lifting, e.g., shopping and gardening, digging for hours. I had a very heavy baby when I was 20 years old. She was more than 9 pounds in weight. A very difficult labor of 24 plus hours and a very painful episiotomy was done without my consent, which should have been re-stitched as the stitches dissolved before healing had completed. I enjoy being active; also enjoyed horse-riding for many years. I haven't been sexually active since my husband/partner died 18 years ago. I am at a loss after reading the details on this site, as to what can be done to help stop my condition from getting any worse. The threatening vaginal prolapse appeared about two weeks ago. Maybe I could have avoided this recent problem had I continued with the risks of taking HRT.

Comment from: kelly, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

Heavy lifting over many years, about 10 hours per week, especially between 1995 and 2012, contributed to vaginal prolapse, as I did not have children, nor was I ever pregnant. Also beginning to be in menopause. There may be a hereditary weakness, a sister and my mother each had prolapses, but theirs were uterine, I think.

Comment from: bernie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: August 22

I had four vaginal deliveries; one baby was 11 pounds, another just over 9 pounds, the other two about 7 1/2 pounds each. Over last 2 to 3 years vaginal prolapse has increased gradually, affecting my voiding efficiency; and more recently defecation has been increasingly difficult. I use stool softeners, lots of fluids, fiber cereals, much fresh vegetables and fruit. I also include daily, chia seeds and ground flax. I have more lower back pain than usual, making my daily walks more challenging. I had chosen to avoid surgery by using Kegel exercises and physiotherapy, but now none of that seems effective. So it seems surgery will be necessary; though I had hoped to avoid that.

Comment from: Iris Crider, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 12

I have had two major injuries on the left side of my body, including childhood rape (which, of course, did not happen just to my left side). About two weeks ago, my vagina prolapsed. At my age, I am wondering if I can actually exercise it back to where it belongs. I will not have surgery.

Comment from: NCS, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

My prolapse was caused by decades of heavy lifting and the jobs I have had (housekeeping and cooking) because my husband is disabled. Being 50 pounds overweight does not help. I also was done with my change in my early 40's and am now 60.

• Vaginal Prolapse - Symptoms

What were the symptoms of your vaginal prolapse?

Post View 5 Comments
  • Vaginal Prolapse - Treatment

What was the treatment for your vaginal prolapse?

Post View 3 Comments
  • Vaginal Prolapse - Surgery

Please describe your experience with vaginal prolapse surgery.

Post View 3 Comments

REFERENCE:

MedscapeReference.com. Uterine prolapse in Emergency Medicine.