Vasectomy

Did you have a vasectomy? Please describe your experience. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Gopats, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 05

I had a vasectomy last Friday 2-28-2020, so I am 5 days out today. I still have a lot of pain above my penis on the left side. It hurts to press on that area and hurts when I pull the jock strap off to urinate, and some when I walk. That side of the vas is the side that I really felt during the procedure too. The doctor said that vas was a lot tighter than the right side. This pain feels like it's in my abdomen almost. Wonder if anyone else experienced this. I feel like I made a huge mistake getting the vasectomy.

Comment from: Paynon the right one, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: December 05

I had my vasectomy on November 21, 2019 and to tell you the truth it was nothing amusing. First luckily I had shaved prior, because the specialist did not instruct me, the least of his worries. Then he went to work and I was breathing deep for every movement inside and pull he performed. Still on the first (right) for approximate 5 minutes he asked me what my current occupation was, which distracted me during the procedure, but I did notice one thing; after he went to the left side he did it in 3 minutes top.

Comment from: Rpt, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: August 13

I had a vasectomy 16 years ago. I was not the same again. I have had loss of sensation and hard erections. Be careful and ask questions. I wish I had not got it. On the other hand I had friends that got it done and no problems. Maybe it was because my doctor was in a hurry. I was his last one to be done before his retirement and trip around the world. Good luck.

Comment from: Dave1986, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 16

I had a vasectomy done about 2 weeks ago, and during the procedure it felt like a horse repeatedly kicked me in the testicles and stomach. I now am still in pain and constantly feel like I have to urinate. I hear some people take a little longer to heal but if I’m not better after this weekend I’m calling the doctors. It’s absolutely nothing like I’ve read.

Comment from: CWGBuckeyes35 , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 19

I had a vasectomy 6 days ago and it is something I would tell men never even to consider. My doctor did it the old-fashioned way with a scalpel. The pain was unbelievable. I was given no pain medicines before or after the procedure. My scrotum is badly swollen to at least 3 times its normal size, and purple. Just walking or sitting in a chair feels like being kicked in the groin. This has been one of the worst experiences of my life. Never get one of these done.

Comment from: P.h, 35-44 Female (Caregiver) Published: April 15

Vasectomy is not as easy, pain free and a little operation as I was told! Having a tooth out at the dentist takes longer and hurts terribly, but recovery is quick and normal life is resumed in no time at all. Vasectomy is painful, invasive and massively regarded as a gift to your wife or partner. There is a smell during the procedure which my wife could smell in the corridor outside.

Comment from: Texas Joe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: May 03

I had a vasectomy done, and it went great. Procedure-wise the only pain was the anesthesia injection, but it was tolerable. While the surgeon was doing the procedure the only time I felt a little pulling was when I was nosy and looked down to see. But if you don’t look down, your body doesn't associate the procedure with pain. Post procedure my scrotum got really swollen like everyone's. On day 3 to 4 it was 90 percent normal size. I took the prophylactic antibiotics round the clock to prevent infection and took acetaminophen 1000 mg twice a day to be pain free for 7 days. Might not have needed it half the time but it was a psychological thing. I was worried of not getting the same erections, but fear went away with my morning the day right after the procedure. I started intercourse on day 4, nothing too wild. Day 7 to 10 everything was back to normal. My semen got a little more viscous but that is it. I love my vasectomy, feel more of a man. Sex got better and I recommend it to anyone with 2 kids plus. Only thing I would do different maybe would be to pre-medicate as soon as you go in before procedure. Just makes sense to take pain pill before the procedure than after.

Comment from: Not recommended!, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 19

I had a vasectomy on Friday 10-13-17 at 11 am. There was some slight pain and tugging during the procedure, but nothing outrageous. That day was spent on the couch, basically no movement. After the novocaine wore off I was very sore, but I expected that. Next day I felt a bit better. I went outside in the afternoon and moved some tools around in the shed, 2 to 3 hours of activity. I was still sore, so I went back to bed. Sunday, I feel better still and I decided to mow the lawn in the afternoon. Nothing over the top, just pushed the mower around for 30 minutes or so. Still sore, not terrible, but still couldn't walk normal. The next day I went to work as instructed by my doctor. I work on factory equipment for a living. I was on ladders, under machines, pulling cables, moving heavy machinery, on lifts running air lines. This is all every day stuff in my profession. Three fourths of the way through my shift I couldn't move. I had debilitating pain in my scrotum. I took 4 Advil tablets, and I could barely drive home. I went to the doctor the next day, and he told me I had a hematoma (internal blood clot), very painful! He tells me I shouldn't have been doing those things at work. But that's my job! He ordered me out of work for the next week. I'm currently on my back in bed with pain radiating through my pelvis and scrotum! Hematomas happens in 5 percent of patients! And after sharing my story with other vasectomy victims, I have realized that out of the 8 guys I know who have now had vasectomies 4 of them have had 'abnormal' and painful complications; 50 percent! Can 50% still be considered abnormal! Everything from hematomas to inflammation of the epididymis, to undiagnosed PVP (post vasectomy pain). And in bad pain longer than that! Burned all my vacation time, and just got informed that the ultrasound and radiology reading I was required to do for the hematoma is not covered by my insurance and could be up to USD 3,000. Don't do it! Huge mistake!

QUESTION

Testosterone is a chemical found only in men. See Answer
Comment from: run dont walk away, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I had a vasectomy two months ago by an experienced urologist who had performed over 3,000 of the no-scalpel procedures. Despite what you read on the web and the information given to you by physicians, this is not a benign, painless procedure. My experience was excruciating. The initial injection of local anesthesia directly into the scrotum and spermatic cord was an easy 8 out of 10 on the pain scale. Stick and a burn and huge kick in the testicles. I could feel the instruments cutting and the vas being dissected and pulled through the opening. The tugging yanked at the testicle and pulled on the bladder, all with extreme testicular pain radiating into the abdomen. I had to be reminded to breathe by the physician as the sweat poured down my face. It was awful. After gutting out the left side, I caved in and asked for more local. The doctor prodded around and I indicated each poke. He hit me again with local. I should have done that at the beginning. The valium they give you beforehand does nothing. Ask for two. The recovery is straightforward until you get to the massive epididymal swelling and pain which started on day two. The congested, impacted epididymis swelled to the size of a pack of Life Savers on each testicle. The scrotum was bright pink, hot and three times its normal size. This got progressively worse for the next several days until I couldn't stand it any longer, and went in for a follow up visit five days post-operation. Things were deemed normal by the doctor, but none of this grotesque, painful, swelling was ever mentioned by him or any other source I read before the procedure. The doctor even mentioned he went jogging four days after his vasectomy. The side effects of a vasectomy are painful and debilitating. I missed an entire week of work because walking was a shuffling, bow-legged struggle of kicking yourself in the impacted testicles with every stride. After another week of ibuprofen and heat directly on the testicles for several hours a day, the swelling abated and things were 90 percent back to normal. Another week later (four weeks post-operation) I had my first pain free day, and although the left epididymis is still swollen and sensitive, had what I would call enjoyable sex. The scrotum is still off limits because of tenderness on the left side. My left side is still swollen, I spend the evenings with heat on it, and I'm taking 1800 mg of Ibuprofen a day. In another month I will most likely have to start taking steroids. If that doesn't work, well, it's a lifetime of pain unless I consider surgical alternatives: reversal, epididymectomy (removal of epididymis), cutting nerve to testicle. I am in pain, swollen, disinterested in sex, unable to exercise, grumpy with the children.

Comment from: Anonymous, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 14

I recently had a vasectomy, and experienced no pain, no swelling or any other unpleasant side effects whatsoever. Nothing more significant than a slight 'pulling' feeling, which I presume is caused by two stitches inserted to close the wound. My partner and I actually stopped for lunch at a restaurant on the way home because we live some distance from the hospital where the procedure was done, and she felt that I had to have a meal before travelling. The procedure was done on a Thursday, and I spent the weekend resting, but not actually lying in bed all the time. We did some shopping on two or three occasions, which caused no problems whatsoever. I can therefore say that the procedure was a success. If your surgeon does a good job, you should not have any problems during recovery, provided that you take it easy and avoid heavy lifting and major physical activity. And I was also lucky that the lady in my life happens to be an excellent nurse!

Comment from: craig, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 22

I had vasectomy on January 11, 2016. That is almost two weeks ago. I am still recovering. The two visits I have made to the emergency room the doctors were less than helpful. I didn’t have much swelling however my sac turned almost black with pass-out pain. I then went to my family doctor. She gave me antibiotics, which helped overnight. She told me it had been twenty years since she had seen anyone take more than three days to recover. Then she informed me that a patient had a testicle removed, to stop the pain. Two days later my sac was light purple. My left side is still swollen. The pain on that side is unbearable still. Bottom line, the surgeon made a mess, and the other local doctors are protecting him.

SLIDESHOW