Vertebral Compression Fracture

What treatment has been effective for your vertebral compression fracture? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: kitkat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I developed osteoporosis because I never followed my doctor's advice regarding taking extra calcium and the weekly alendronic acid pill but I was never told that my spine could be affected! And as I already have painful back problems I would have taken the advice and medication. Anyway, I have now had three compression fractures which in the beginning (almost two years ago) was the most painful thing I have ever experienced in my life (fainted at one time). The pains were like electric shocks but gradually over the months decreased. I had to use two walking sticks for months then managed on one. I was never told not to do certain things such as housework and gardening. I asked if I should use my trolley for shopping and was told that it would be ok but getting on and off buses with the trolley is always a problem for my back. At the moment I am in terrible pain again and been indoors for four days. I stupidly used a hard bristle broom to brush leaves off the grass in my garden so obviously the twisting of my back has done it no good whatsoever. I am resting and using walking sticks to move around. I paid for two MRIs myself 18 months ago and have had another in August I have to wait until end November for the result. Because of the osteoporosis and vertebra fractures I have lost 3 inches in height. Medication I take for the pain are gabapentin, oxycodone, ibuprofen, paracetamol; Anadin Extra, and Co-dydramol, but of course, not all at the same time. Creams to rub in the painful areas don't do much good and I have tried Ibuleve, Voltaren, and Pernaton and have found that Pernaton is the best. I tried pain patches but they are too painful to remove!

Comment from: smarsh15, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

A year ago July 30, I fell down the stairs (14 steps) in my home. I had two significant injuries to my spine. A fracture of the C2 and compression fracture of the T12. I was in the hospital until August 4. I was in a back brace until late October and in a neck brace until November 22. I was fortunate that I did not have any paralysis and the spine itself was stable, thus no pain. I have experienced some right hip pain since returning to work.

Comment from: kell, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 07

I have severe osteoporosis and broke 3 vertebrae. I had a vertebroplasty done but it was unsuccessful due to osteoporosis. I have tried Targin and patches for chronic pain, but none works. I am on the bed 90 percent of the day due to chronic pain. The pain specialist I have seen can't suggest anything more.

Comment from: shellspb, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I wish it would let me respond to other's comments in here but this isn't the way the site has been set up. I noticed a comment from someone I'm thinking might be in the premenopausal age range who has suffered from vertebral compression fractures. I just wanted to reach out to you to let you know you're not alone. There are unfortunately many others out there who have dealt with vertebrae compression fractures, sometimes suffering months before being diagnosed since osteoporosis has such an age stigma stuck to it. I know of several groups of women who have been an immense source of knowledge and support to me.

Comment from: mlashby, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: April 04

I had a fall, resulting in concussion, broken shoulder and two crushed vertebrae. I am looking for at home therapy as I have an 88 year old husband I take care of.

Comment from: Mary scott, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: December 02

Ever so often, it will flare up and the pain is exhausting. The only relief I seem to get is a heating pad and Voltaren. The pain will last from a day to a week progressively getting worse, lightening up, and then getting worse for days on end.

Comment from: 65-74 (Patient) Published: October 22

The antibiotic Zosyn had lots of side effects. A double dose of morphine would not bring the pain down. Toradol was used to treat the lumbar issues.

Comment from: magicweaver, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 14

My compression fracture is at T12, caused by a fall. The pain has been severe for four months, both in the center of the back and the left side. I received a Vertebroplasty last week. I am a little disappointed in the results. Even though the pain at the side is completely gone, the back is still as painful as before the procedure. Still, the treatment has had a positive effect, definitely better than medication.

• Vertebral Compression Fracture - Symptoms

What symptoms did you experience with your vertebral compression fracture?

Post View 5 Comments

Medically reviewed by Aimee V. HachigianGould, MD; American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery

Canale, S. Terry, and James H. Beaty. Campbell's Operative Orthopaedics. 11th ed. Philadelphia: Mosby, 2008.

Longo, Dan, et al. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 18th ed. United States: McGraw-Hill Professional, 2011.

Wardlaw, Douglas, et al. "Balloon kyphoplasty in patients with osteoporotic vertebral compression fractures." Expert Review of Medical Devices 9.4 (2012): 423-436.