Vertigo

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Megster1688, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 12

I began suffering from bouts of dizziness in my late 40s. It took me several months to figure out that it was actually vertigo. The doctor prescribed me medication that helped with the vertigo, but left me feeling groggy. A friend of mine told me about DiVertigo, and thankfully it worked for me. It is just a bit of oil you dab behind your ear. I am not sure how it works but it helped me. I hope it can help others here too!

Comment from: Don, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: August 06

I swim a lot in YMCA pool and suspect I got vertigo from inner ear infection by not ever cleaning my ear plugs over the years. I finished swimming recently, bent over to pick up my gear from the deck, and everything started spinning. I had nothing to grab onto to stabilize myself, and the spinning motion twirled me around, I lost my balance and it threw me down. Hospital emergency diagnosed me with positional vertigo and put me on meclizine and rest. I am spending a lot of time on Google to better understand my condition (crystals in ear canal, etc.) and pick up on self-help remedies. Possibly I have labyrinthitis, so am trying neomycin ear drops, and am trying different maneuvers (Semont, Epley, and Foster). If I don't feel better after a week of self-care, then I'll go to my primary care doctor for further diagnosis. But seem to be improving after just two days now.

Comment from: Ehsan, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 18

I am also suffering from vertigo, only thing that helps is lying down on bed on my stomach with head turned to the right side, and sleeping on soft pillow in this position.

Comment from: Motorman, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 01

In September 2009, while living in San Diego, I was driving my car with my wife and started feeling lightheaded, then slightly dizzy, and pulled over and had my wife drive. Profuse sweating began, and within 15 minutes of not feeling well, I was so dizzy that I could not stand up. I got to the hotel room somehow, and started throwing up until the paramedics came and took me to the emergency room. They gave me something in the IV and cleared everything up rapidly. I then started to have these attacks, generally progressing from nothing to completely incapacitated, unable to move and vomiting until I fell asleep, every 3 months or so at random. ENTs were clueless. I moved to Miami in October 2010, and didn't have another attack for almost 7 years, until last week. I have no idea what to do and other than prescribe meclizine, which I don't know if it works, it doesn't seem like I have any hope of preventing these horrible attacks. Very depressing.

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

I've been having vertigo for years. The feeling is weird, I feel like the inside my head is shaking or moving. Meclizine helps a little. I go sideways when I try to walk. It is a horrible feeling.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 29

I was diagnosed with vertigo a few years ago and although I only experience it once a year, it's very disconcerting. I take chewable Dramamine and Advil cold and flu. That combination seems to alleviate some of the worst symptoms. I do social work and advocacy and travel among four counties, so taking a few days off isn't really an option.

Comment from: Rina, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I'm 44 and I was just diagnosed with vertigo. I had my first episode in the spring for few days. I didn't know what it was, but it went away after couple of days. In early September, it came back. My symptoms are different. The room doesn't spin, but I feel the spinning and pressure dropping in my head.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 02

It seems that meclizine (Antivert) helps to keep it from starting but once it hits, it is of no benefit. Maintaining hydration seems to help too since my episodes have begun when I was dehydrated. I wouldn't wish this on anyone.

• Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Post View 76 Comments
  • Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Post View 86 Comments
  • Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Post View 63 Comments
  • Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Post View 9 Comments

"Pregnancy and Dizziness." American Pregnancy Association.

"Essential Oils for Vertigo." New Health Advisor.

"Labyrinthitis and Vestibular Neuritis." Vestibular Disorders Association.

"Mal de Debarquement." Vestibular Disorders Association.

Furman, J. M., et al. "Patient information: Dizziness and vertigo (beyond the basics)." UpToDate. 19 November 2015.

Hain, T. C. "Meniere's Disease." American Hearing Research Foundation.

Labuguen, R. H. "Initial Evaluation of Vertigo." American Family Physician 73.2 (2006): 244-251.

Swartz, R. and P. Longwell. "Treatment of Vertigo." American Family Physician 71.6 (2005): 1115-1122.

Teggi, R., et al. "Vestibular testing in patients with panic disorder and chronic dizziness." Acta Otorhinolaryngolica Italica 27.5 (2007): 243-247.