Viewer Comments: Vertigo- Exercises

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Comment from: Jane, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I had a head injury in June 2014 and had dizziness/vertigo for 6 months. It went away for 6 month and is now back even worse. I've had ear test, and a CT scan but all is good. In the last week I've had a noise in my right ear that goes to the rhythm of my heart beat. Having vertigo is not a nice feeling, I've had to stop doing a lot of the things I enjoy. I'm a bit over this and would love to know of a cure. Lying down is the worst.

Comment from: dodo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 09

I have had vertigo bouts off and on for about 4 years, made worse with a car accident 2 years ago. I see a chiropractor who treats my neck and tweaks my ears or pulls them. I lie flat with arms out and move my head side to side 4 or 5 times, do this twice a day, also lie flat and hang my head over my bed for a minute or two. And he told me to do exercises. It usually goes away but not a nice feeling so I do sympathize with some who are worse than me.

Comment from: Karin, 75 or over (Caregiver) Published: July 31

My mother-in-law is 82 and has had vertigo off and on for years. She also has an old neck injury. This last time it lasted for over 3 weeks. I have a friend that is a nurse and she told me that a home treatment that doctors don't tell you about. Lie flat on your tummy with your head and neck extended off the bed (you will need help, have someone hold your head). Look at the floor, then keeping your head aligned with your body, roll to the right, hold it for 10 seconds and then roll onto your back. Roll back until you are again looking at the floor. Repeat this, only roll the other way. Make sure someone holds your neck to keep it aligned with your body and help you roll. This was repeated every 3 days. What this does is allows the crystals to move, allowing your body to dissolve them naturally. It made her feel better the next day and shortened her vertigo. Also Claritin or Singulair can help to dry up the fluid in your ears. This sometimes helps people. Also, if you have a neck injury, ask your doctor about your vestibular nerve if none of these home treatments work. Please check with your doctor to make sure you don't have an inner ear infection, then antibiotics would be needed. Good Luck everyone and sometimes we need to be our own doctor. Home remedies do work for some.

Comment from: Feeling Better!, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 15

I suffered with vertigo for years, and finally learned that if I keep my head up above my waist it avoids the issue; it is 3 years now without an episode. I had the odd habit of sometimes removing the pillow when sleeping and it turns out that was a trigger, but it took me an awfully long time to figure it out. I now sleep with a slight elevation and have had no issues. Hope this might help, I know it is no fun.

Comment from: patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: September 20

I have had vertigo for 3 weeks with no sign of it abating despite physiotherapy. I am still suffering a loss of balance.

Comment from: Brian, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: November 18

I find hanging my head over the end of the bed and shaking it from side to side has helped me with my vertigo.

Comment from: rlikom, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 29

I have suffered from vertigo for almost a month now, I underwent laboratory check but seems all normal including the BUN, CREA, HDL/LDL cholesterol, FBS and even chest x-ray. My blood pressure is 120/90. I tried a diet with less of fat, and I exercise regularly but the symptoms are still there. When I am at the office I feel shortness of breath and easily get nervous. I also feel disoriented and dizzy after a full meal.

Comment from: MR, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I have had an extreme case of vertigo now for the past year and my husband does too which is very strange for our ages. I have been to ear, nose and throat specialists, many tests run and nothing! It has kept me from driving, performing daily activities and being myself. I feel like I am going to pass out on a daily basis and nothing I have done to cure/help it has worked.

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include:
  • vasovagal,
  • situational,
  • postural,
  • ...
learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?