Vertigo

Please describe your experience with vertigo. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Joce , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I’m 47 years old, after dinner I felt very nauseous and a little off balance. I rested on my La-Z-Boy and couldn’t seem to focus, so I went to bed. I had a good sleep but woke up feeling lightheaded, and my head just didn’t feel well. I left for work, got to work, my eyes were heavy, and I was feeling very nauseous. I went to the hospital and all my symptoms were classed as vertigo. They gave me the exercises to do. I do feel better each day but if I'm upright talking with a group I get hot and cold sweats.

Comment from: Ann, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 09

I am a 59 year old lady. I got out of the bed Monday, and my head was swimming, legs wouldn't work, and I thought I was having a stroke. Couldn't tell if my head, or my surroundings were spinning but it was very nauseating. I am on Serc-8 prescribed by the doctor, it has eased slightly but I’ve not been to work or outside for a week nearly. Too scared as the feeling is horrific.

Comment from: Jeff, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: June 09

I had my first experience with vertigo the other day. Very scary stuff. I turned my head really quick to pop my neck and within 20 minutes, bam, my eyes started floating back and forth and immediately nausea kicked in. I knew I would be calling fire/rescue. I knew I had better go to the bathroom before I called 911. I was bouncing off the walls, very scary. Made it back to the couch. Called 911. Was vomiting on the floor and sweating profusely. Wasn't sure what was happening. I went to the hospital and diagnosed with vertigo.

Comment from: Sheila, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: May 27

I can’t drive, I can’t work, I can’t put my head back or side to side; I have to move my whole body to look another way. I’ve fainted, fallen and blacked out because of vertigo. I’ve already had an MRI that came back negative for everything except sinus issues. I’ve had Meniere’s disease for 4 years but never had an episode last this long; it’s been a month. None of the maneuvers work, and none of the medicines are working anymore. I’m becoming depressed and have a lot of anxiety because I can’t control what’s going on or have a normal life.

Comment from: Stacylynn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

With vertigo, my vision changed first, everything I tried to focus on would spin. Then a minute or two later, the nausea started. I got out of bed to get a drink, but couldn’t walk without holding on to something to keep me upright. My body was pretty sweaty by this point. I thought I was going to have to go to the hospital, so I got in the shower and immediately started violently throwing up, in the shower. The worst part lasted about fifteen minutes. Then I slept for two hours.

Comment from: Ryan, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: April 21

I have had this strange balance problem for about 2 years. When I am walking, I feel like I am on a boat, I get a sudden dropping sensation, or as if I go up, kind of like an elevator sensation. I have had this vertigo constantly for this entire time, seemed like it also came with muscle twitching. I have had numerous MRIs and 2 spinal taps, and all is normal. I even had my inner ears checked, but nothing. I am just wondering if anyone has had this sensation before.

Comment from: MNTode, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I have vertigo related to panic attack. For example, I lost my temper at someone yesterday and it bothered me all night. This morning, I feel a vertigo episode coming on. The treatments posted in this article do not address this type of vertigo or how to treat it. I have meclizine, but do not know if/when I should take it. The notion that Benadryl can be taken is folly, when medications like those make one dizzy.

Comment from: PITCHA, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: April 06

I’ll try to describe my vertigo symptoms as good as I can, because I am not fluent in English. About 8 years ago, I was diagnosed with a BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). So the doctor prescribed Antivert medication for 3 months, but the symptoms persisted. Then, I began to have constant frontal headache with dizziness that seems to be located just above the eyebrows and on the temples. It happens every day and it appears at different moments. I don't know what to do. Now, I don't take and medication.

Comment from: ItaM, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 27

I am so exhausted with my vertigo symptoms that I am just at my wits’ end. I have humming in my ears 24/7, masked during the day, but loud at night. I often have ringing which brings on the lightheadedness and dizziness type of feeling, yet nothing is spinning. I feel like my head is swimming or weird almost all the time, yet I can walk, drive, stand and sit, no problem. It is driving me insane as it is very tiring and when I go into busy places I am out of sync as I walk as if the floor is a trampoline.

QUESTION

What is vertigo? See Answer
Comment from: Dillie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: March 09

I can sit all day. I work at a sitting down job for hours but when I stand up and make a move I am really dizzy with vertigo. It is like having a sore under the bottom of your foot; you never know it is there until you stand. I have been to seven specialists and none has helped more than the other. This is my 60th day with vertigo. It has slowed me down, affects my driving, walking, and makes me dependent on others in many ways. For thirteen days I was afraid to get up because moving forward is what really affects me.

Comment from: Vertigo88, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

My 1st vertigo episode was 3 years ago where the spinning would last about 5 hours. I continue to vomit until all stomach contents have been regurgitated. I get very sweaty during the spinning. When the spinning begins to subside, the chills kick in and I sleep for a few hours. The ENT just claims that it must be from an inner ear infection. I'm searching for a new doctor that is willing to do detective work. The symptoms of a drunken feeling have never gone away. Loud environments make it worse.

Comment from: Massachusetts , 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 26

I had an onset of vertigo because of an inner ear infection. I had 24/7 vertigo for almost 5 weeks. Prednisone was prescribed to clear the inflammation. I also have partial hearing loss in one ear. Most debilitating sickness I've ever experienced.

Comment from: Abe, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 25

It’s been 1 year, and my vertigo doesn’t go away. After all the tests, it was found I have left ear vestibular and otologic dysfunction and frequency of hearing loss. My head is spinning all the time 24/7 and I don’t know what to do. I don’t know if it is Meniere’s disease or vestibular migraine or other ear related symptoms. I’m taking betahistine 16 mg twice a day but nothing is working on me, what to do I don’t know.

Comment from: Olivia L, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I have had vertigo for 42 days. My balance for walking is better. I can sit for all day and can't tell anything is wrong. It’s the time when I stand and walk that I am dizzy. I have been to a chiropractor, ENT, neurologist, and now a vestibular specialist, and still stay dizzy. The MRI, CAT scan and blood work turned out good.

Comment from: LWells257, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 18

I have had vertigo for a long time and have attacks every other year or so. I had a bad attack this past weekend, it came on suddenly as I was standing eating. The second it started I was unable to walk. I got to a chair and sat there with my eyes closed and not moving. Finally I tried to get to the car but ended up in the bathroom for 2 hours vomiting. I could hardly move. Now I am having anxiety and a little dizziness and feel very weak in my legs. Wonder if anyone else had an experience such as this.

Comment from: Adele, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

My life is controlled by vertigo! I’ve been suffering daily with vertigo since October 29/19. There needs to be more research done on this! I`ve lost most of my hearing in my left ear but my vertigo is on my right side. I’ve been to many doctors including specialists and they give me drugs to help manage it, but trust me, it does not manage it. When an attack comes I’m completely vulnerable to it! I wake up daily hoping I won’t have another attack but yet here it comes again.

Comment from: Faithful , 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 11

I had 2 vertigo attacks earlier, and this one makes 3. I have a loud ringing in my right ear since Saturday, and today is Sunday. I was eating breakfast watching TV and I felt the dizziness come on. I got downstairs and woke up my partner. I was scared, started vomiting, and had very bad diarrhea. I was going to go to the emergency room but I also suffer with health anxiety and I was petrified. I lay down and went to sleep. Right now I am not dizzy but my ear is still ringing. I am scared!

Comment from: Dwayne, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I got vertigo back in November 2019. It went away after a few weeks, now it has come back again. I've been given prochlorperazine maleate tablets to cure it, but it’s not really doing anything. Local surgery also recommended me to get an eye test, said it might be due to eye strain and no, still hasn't cured it. It's one of the worst feelings ever, I can't even walk properly, my balance is all over the place. I'm perfectly fine when I sit down or sleep, just not when I am walking. I can't bear it.

Comment from: Eruc, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 21

I’ve suffered with vertigo for 8 years. Nonstop lightheadedness with bouts of full on vertigo. On good days I cannot walk straight. I try to exercise even on the bad days because it helps with anxiety and depression that go with this lovely disease. Nothing has cured it, nothing!

SLIDESHOW

Tinnitus: Why Are My Ears Ringing? See Slideshow
Comment from: Jersey5, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 02

Last time I had a vertigo episode was 10 years ago. Then tonight I just had an episode. I was in my car parked. I could not get out or move my head, I was so scared but I knew it was vertigo. I read online I could use Dramamine. So I took a chewable one, it helped, I was able to get up, and walk around.

Comment from: DJH73, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 18

I deal with vertigo every day to varying degrees. It will hit without warning; it doesn't matter if I move or if I am still. It doesn't matter if I am standing, sitting or lying down. If I bend over or get down on my knees it can hit. Sometimes they are small quick episodes, and sometimes really intense and long lasting. Just watching video games or movies with motion trigger it. I never know what will trigger it or when. It really is awful, plus I have the nausea and headaches. It also makes my eyes hurt.

Comment from: LuciAlexandra, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 11

I am here to hopefully bring some help to some of you. I suffered for years, on and off with vertigo. If I saw something like spinning cinematography in a movie, a Ferris wheel, a coworker scrolling on their computer screen near me, I would fall to the floor. Certain movements like looking up at a supermarket shelf would also bring it on. I also couldn't stand still with my eyes shut. I went to a chiropractor who readjusted my neck and told me not to sleep on my tummy anymore. All fixed.

Comment from: ?? ?? girl, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 03

When I was in my 20s I had my first episode of vertigo with dizziness and spinning, and I would faint. It lasted 2 months, that’s all. I never went to a doctor because I didn’t have a clue what was happening plus it went away. But it scared me to death, the fainting, and somehow my mother would be near to wake me up with smelling salt under my nose. So that was that, but in 2019, a few months ago, after 25 years it returned to me once again. Spinning and balance problem; it never was this bad. I went this year for MRI.

Comment from: Disney Mom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have been suffering with stuffy and runny nose, sinus pressure below the eyes mostly, static sounds in my ears, fullness and pressure in the ears. I get vertigo if I lie flat or on my sides. I can only sleep in an upright position to avoid an episode of vertigo.

Comment from: Fuzzy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

About a year ago I was diagnosed with BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). Never had anything like it. It first happened after consuming a frozen drink, with brain freeze. It continued for a couple of weeks until the doctor showed me the Epley maneuver, which helped a lot but the vertigo kept recurring. I stopped using my electric toothbrush and it hasn’t happened now for a couple of months. I don’t drink anything really cold or hot, and brush my teeth with a traditional toothbrush.

Comment from: Sehcaep, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

My job description requires me to go up and down on the elevator. I recently had a vertigo episode. I am hoping the medication with proper diet will cure it. My experience with vertigo feels like I am in a roller coaster. I can't stop it, I have no control over it, and I have to wait hopefully till the ride is over and it comes to a complete stop. I don't like the fact that it affects my work schedule.

Comment from: Tania, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 24

September 2018 I had an acute onset vertigo in Argentina. Now October 2019, and my vertigo never left my side. I have acute, chronic vestibular migraines, chronic headache disorder, dizziness, cervical spondylosis, cervicocranial syndrome, trigeminal neuralgia, musculoskeletal disorder of the neck, balance disorder, spasm and osteoarthritis. Not ruled out Meniere's disease. I am a healthy 47 year old woman, 5' 5” and 112 lb., eat healthy, ski, hike, bike, travel and do yoga. I have taken medicines to control vertigo mostly, optical nerve blocks and trigger injections for head pain.

Comment from: Jru, 45-54 (Patient) Published: October 21

I was diagnosed with labyrinthitis in June. I’m still having dizziness, I am seeing a vestibular physiotherapist and doing my rehabilitation exercises. plus I’m doing CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy) to help with the anxiety side caused by the vertigo. I was feeling great last week and felt like I was getting back on track with getting back to work. On Monday I had a funny sensation in my head which was very quick; it felt like my head moved from left to right and back to left really quickly. I nearly fell over and really dizzy again!

Comment from: pcmacbob, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 25

I woke up one morning and after standing up my head started to get the feeling as if I had been drinking, and the room was spinning until I lay back down in bed. It was weird and the vertigo lasted three days, until I did research on it and found they said the ear could cause it. I went to my bathroom and put ear drops in both my ears. After a few minutes the left ear had so much wax coming out of it I was shocked. After doing both ears, I was able to stand up without issues and felt a lot better. You need to clean your ears.

Comment from: Penelope, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

My first benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) episode was in 2006 and it was horrible. It happened at work. I have a generalized anxiety disorder, polycystic ovarian syndrome and Hashimoto's thyroiditis. I was on antibiotics for bronchitis and first thing in the morning I ate a banana that was not very ripe. Well, then a couple minutes after that I had the episode. I didn't go to the doctor, researched my symptoms, and did the Epley. It was affecting my left ear and it worked. I don't have it often, but when I do the Epley, it works.

Comment from: LA, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I had episodes of dizziness and then violent vomiting, accompanied by a headache. I was so very sensitive to ultraviolet light. Usually sleeping for a few hours will help but the vertigo can come back. It started in March 2nd week to the present.

Comment from: Beata , 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I’m 33 years old, and in the last 2 months I have watched 4 movies on a laptop that has a 15” screen. Every time I watch a movie I can’t finish it because I get extremely painful migraines followed by extremely bad vomiting sensation with vertigo. I have to stop watching the movie, get cold icy water and lie down (without finishing the movie). I do not have any past medical history problems, I do not take any medication, and I do not smoke nor drink alcohol. I have two daughters, one-year-old and a four-year-old.

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 04

Many decades ago I had tinnitus. A doctor then first mentioned the diagnosis of possible Meniere’s. Decades went without incident and then six months ago I felt extreme blockage in my left ear. My doctor give me prednisone - no effect. Then I had an extreme attack of vertigo and nausea that lasted two days. The ENT said it's surely Meniere’s, but then three months with no problem. Then this week I had the worst attack yet, vertigo, nausea, and sweating. It was only a few hours, but the trend is bad.

Comment from: Mix vertigo symptoms, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: August 27

My age is 59 and weight is 88 kg, and 5.7 ft. tall male. I have periodically heavy unbearable imbalance type vertigo which is concerned with neck movement and postural change. It stays for a few minutes to 24 hours. But I have mild bearable almost constant very slight up down type MdDs (mal de debarquement syndrome) type giddiness also which disappears while scooter riding and starts after stopping the scooter. I wonder if I can be having both BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) and MdDs, plus non positional vertigo.

Comment from: Debs, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I'm already sensitive to motion but then I discovered that it was my electric toothbrush that was giving my feelings of dizziness every day. I shared this information with my dental hygienist and my primary care physician. If only medical professionals would consider a solution as simple as this first.

Comment from: Alexandra , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

I had my first vertigo episode in 2012. I woke up at 3:00 am and everything was spinning, I couldn’t walk and the slightest movement made me throw up. Seven years and 76 different doctors later I still have vertigo plus tinnitus. I never again had a spell as bad as the first day but I feel my body still moves when I am not in movement, I get really bad headaches around my period when vertigo gets worse. I am really sad because nothing has helped me to get better.

Comment from: Sherry , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 15

I am being treated for benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV). All has gone well, and I was discharged from physiotherapy (PT) because of the results of PT being so good. I felt good for about 2 weeks, and had to have an MRI done. After the MRI I was nauseated, my balance was way off and my eyes would go up and down just like with the BPPV. Before the MRI I was complaining about getting nauseous whenever I talked, and my voice was loud and I didn’t know that I was speaking with a loud voice. Trying to figure out why the BPPV keeps coming back on the right side.

Comment from: Kbrennan, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

Out of the blue, I became very dizzy, and then vomited for the rest of the day and night. I couldn't get up from the bathroom floor or walk. We called an ambulance and I was taken to the emergency room. They took an EKG, a CT scan of my head and did blood work. Finally I was given intravenous fluids with anti-nausea medicines and Antivert. Nothing helped the dizziness and nausea. Scan came back clear as well as the EKG and blood work. Then they gave me a Valium and more anti-nausea medicines and I was released.

Comment from: Sally08, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I've had dizziness for a couple of weeks. It seems like my vertigo is getting worse. Monday I went to the emergency room and had EKG, lab tests and CT scan which all came out normal. What is worrying me is from time to time I seem to slur. I don’t know what else I should do.

Comment from: Jennifer, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I am being treated for vertigo by an ENT since April of 2019. I take antihistamines, allergy medications, meclizine, and Valium; meclizine 2 to 3 times daily with no relief from this, just some days are better than others. I have had to take leave from work because I never know what each day will bring. I'm hoping I will get an MRI or CT scan and find out more about what is going on. Getting more and more disillusioned. If it is Meniere's disease, that is incurable.

Comment from: SixEightTallman, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 23

I have been suffering from episodes of vertigo for about 2 plus years. None of the specialists I have seen have been able to diagnose what the cause of it is. Meclizine doesn't touch it, and most of the other medications prescribed to me have side effects of nausea and dizziness... kind of counterproductive. I had a bad spell where I fell last week and it seems to be getting more frequent. I am going to make another appointment with a neurologist to see if a new fresh set of tests can maybe get me an answer.

Comment from: Dimples, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I am hoping someone out there will respond with the same symptoms. I have been plagued with vertigo for about 15 to 20 years now. I had a concussion to the back of my head from a fall in 2007. In retrospect I do think the vertigo episodes started before the fall. I have also had migraine symptoms without the headache, i.e. orbs in my vision, light spots in my vision, a feeling of dizziness after looking at bright lights, etc. I was finally diagnosed by a neurologist, with vestibular migraines.

Comment from: Cin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I have had violent episodes of vertigo for 5 years now. I’m 54, female with chronic hypertension. My blood pressure becomes uncontrollable during the worst episodes. I have had 6 facial fractures during episodes while in the shower. Antivert does not help. Ativan or Valium helps me, but I have to be still until the worst is over.

Comment from: Arozisaroz, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 05

I was told I had vertigo, but it lasts 24 hours a day and I have no nausea. I also have Meniere’s disease. I had 2 spots of white on my brain MRI a year ago and an abnormal EEG. I'm so depressed even though I am using Xanax. I take 13 medicines and even tried stopping them all to see if they were the cause. I need help.

Comment from: Donna, 55-64 (Caregiver) Published: June 26

Today I was looking at my cat, then as soon as I focused on her face everything started spinning. I couldn't focus on anything. I couldn't see the TV I lay down and the vertigo was worse, if that was even possible. I have panic disorder but this was beyond that. I took my nerve medicine, and after an hour it was eased but not gone. No nausea though. I am very scared, I've had this three times before. It lasted for three hours but for one hour I couldn't open my eyes to focus on anything.

Comment from: Sheri, 19-24 Female (Caregiver) Published: June 26

My son gets very dizzy with vertigo once or twice a month. Emergency said they haven't seen this except in 100 year old people. I don’t know why this happens and what I can do for him. All the moisture dries up in his eardrum.

Comment from: MRB, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: June 25

I have had two episodes of vertigo with severe spinning and nausea that resolved fairly quickly. That was 4 years ago and 4 months apart. Now four years later I looked down to grab something off a table and it hit me again except it was milder. It is now 2.5 weeks with mild constant vertigo. I’m not bed ridden but I’m not able to do my normal routine. Hoping this ends soon.

Comment from: Jojo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I had vertigo attacks once a year, then 9 years ago it came and stayed after taking an antihistamine. I haven't had the spinning for a long time, since I started sleeping propped up. But I can get attacks from anything moving, checked floors, weather, etc. Lasts a second or two, but then I feel awful for a week, and am more susceptible to more attacks. I hadn't taken any drugs in 9 years, except for blood pressure, then arthritis struck and I have been taking ibuprofen, but it causes heart problems. Life is so fun.

Comment from: Lo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 14

I have been suffering from constant vertigo for 9 months. I was just diagnosed with chronic vestibular migraine, which also is impacting my trigeminal nerve. I have strange tactile sensations (not pain) in my mouth and on my face. Wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Comment from: Magda, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

My vertigo symptoms are room spinning, headaches, heavy legs, paralyzed face, dizziness, off balance, and pins and needles in arms and legs. I can’t bend over or sideways, and ears are closed and painful sometimes. When I try to sleep I experience a rocking feeling, feels like someone pulls me back.

Comment from: Pilar, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 09

I had vertigo on and off for one year, dizziness, spinning sensation, nausea, and could not tolerate medication. Ginger tea was helpful, deep breathing, and resting lying down but not totally flat.

Comment from: mls, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 03

I am hearing a lot of commonalities here, on things I have tried and experienced. Thank you for all the input. The only thing that has really worked for my vertigo is the Foster maneuver. The other thing that helps is aspirin. Antihistamines make it worse, and allergist says that is because they probably dry me out too much. I have C5 C6 degeneration, and was given doxycycline for Lyme disease. Meclizine doesn't work.

Comment from: KEff, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: March 20

I've spent the past 2 years with constant dizziness caused by vestibular migraine. I am dizzy all day every day. No treatment so far has brought any relief for my vertigo. I can't keep living like this and am afraid I will never feel better.

Comment from: Andihud, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have episodic non-rotational vertigo. It’s as if I lose my place in the world for a few seconds, sometimes a bit longer. I’ve been told it is BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) but I also suffer migraines, and sometimes I can relate them to those. Even sometimes I am having the vertigo, instead of the head pain. It sometimes accompanies my aura. I am frustrated. I have anxiety and a panic disorder, which causes me to go into fight or flight when an episode occurs. I’ve studied this for years. I go to a new neurologist on April 1st.

Comment from: Don, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

The 1st time I experienced vertigo was in 1994. Isolated episode, came after plugs to block noise. I got dizzy, but no nausea, and lasted a few hours. Next, I had 14 violent episodes from 1/05 to 4/05. It came any time of the day. First dizziness, then nausea, and diarrhea. Each time I slept it off for several hours. I had CT scan, MRI, Valium, Xanax, Antivert, etc., and nothing worked. By the end I started Tylenol antihistamine. I don't know if that caused to stop, but it did. Now in 2/19 I had sinus pressure and another violent episode. The doctor said to take Zyrtec D. So far so good a week later.

Comment from: Fluster, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 10

I am male 74 years of age and suffer from vertigo for years. I get very sick especially if I lie on my back. I have been throwing up for various lengths of time. Lately I have had several CT scans for different reasons and always get sick. I wonder if Ativan will help me from getting sick being with CATs and MRIs for which you always have to be on your back. I wonder if anyone else ever had this issue.

Comment from: Karmit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 26

My vertigo symptoms come on from sometimes being recently congested or back and neck issues. I found the best treatment is lying down on my back with head tilted to the right side. It does seem it’s taking longer to get rid of. I used to rest and get rid of it within a day. Now it takes a day or 2. Regardless the best treatment I’ve found is doing nothing but lie down as much as I can until it stops, which means taking off work if need be. I couldn’t possibly work anyway. The bed exercise can also help.

Comment from: Mo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 21

I have had vertigo for about 20 years now and it's getting worse. I started getting daily migraines and nausea when I was 27. I went to a neurologist who set me up for an MRI. Turns out that I have a tumor called a vestibular schwannoma that is growing on my balance nerve. In the beginning, I only had vertigo attacks every 4 or 5 months, now I'm having them every few days. My doctor first prescribed meclizine, which did nothing. Now I take Xanax and it does help better. Good luck all!

Comment from: Artspassion, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

It seems I've always had problems with a slight dizziness. However, over the last 2 years I have had major issues with vertigo. Symptoms such as having a bowling ball head, being very unsteady on my feet, and extreme migraines are common. These symptoms will last anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. To deal with the symptoms I will walk with my head down, put my head down on the desk, or go to complete bed rest. I would often feel nauseous, or have blurred vision with no ear problems.

Comment from: Katea, 55-64 (Patient) Published: October 30

I have dizziness and spinning when I turn my head. My head feels full of liquid because of vertigo.

Comment from: C Rey, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 30

I have had vertigo for about a week now. Running on 48 straight hours with constant spinning, and as I am typing I am spinning. I had an anxiety attack yesterday from so much spinning. I haven’t been able to work the whole week of course. I can’t function right anymore. When my vertigo came, I had gone to sleep at around 9:30 pm and around 11:30 pm I woke up and saw the room spin. I have gone to the doctor twice and they keep saying it is BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo). I have no idea since it could be so many things. Frustrated.

Comment from: Roaddawg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

My first vertigo attack was on May 24/18. I was using my computer and looked up and the room began spinning counter clockwise. I sat back and closed my eyes for a bit and when I reopened them the room was spinning clockwise. That night I experienced another bout of spinning. The next day I felt terrible, lost my balance, head spinning. I spent the next two weeks in hospital. Symptoms have reduced a bit now. I'm not sure of the cause of the vertigo, and nothing gives relief. My general physician says I'll have it until I don't! Five months on spin cycle and zero treatment.

Comment from: Raymond, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: October 04

I have been suffering with vertigo for over 20 years. When it started it was mild and lasted for a week. I gave up coffee and chocolate and went years without an episode. Then they came back shorter and more intense and I have narrowed it down to excessive sodium intake. I have seen a specialist and he believes I have Meniere’s disease and I have lost my hearing in one ear to about 30 percent.

Comment from: Lisa, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 30

Have you all tried the Epley maneuver? I have had vertigo several times and it is awful. Having my doctor correctly perform this maneuver solved it (I had tried to do it myself at home but wasn’t doing it right).

Comment from: Bernadette, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 01

I got up with a slight dizziness on Monday morning but the vertigo progressed by noon. I started taking Antivert right away. As of today, Thursday morning, I still have a feeling my head is bloated. My vision is blurry.

Comment from: carebear, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

Let me start out by saying I have been diagnosed with a stroke. Ever since I had the stroke my head is just not right. I also have diabetes and this could have been from that. Yesterday I hadn't really eaten all day because my daughter was having surgery, but I was sitting on the couch and I got so dizzy, the room was spinning round and round and even up and down, I thought I was going to pass out. After that I was so sick I threw up and couldn't eat. I am just curious if this is from vertigo or diabetes. I was so scared I never want to go through that again. Guess I will be making a doctor’s appointment.

Comment from: Annie T10, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been experiencing vertigo for almost a week now. It started with heavy nausea and even diarrhea on Christmas Eve 2016. I have not been able to enjoy much of anything. It wasn't till yesterday that I decided to take myself to the emergency room. They gave me Zofran for nausea and Antivert for the vertigo as well as some Ativan. I woke up a little better, but I just feel out of it. Like at any minute I can just fall. I still have heavy nausea and have not been able to eat a full meal. Glad to see I’m not alone.

Comment from: dn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been experiencing vertigo off on and on for years. Mostly after a chiropractic adjustment, which only makes it worse. Horrible dizziness where I cannot tell which way is up or down. I wake up extremely dizzy with nausea and cannot deal with any motion. Here's where my life totally changed. I went to a wellness center and just mentioned that I had vertigo and the owner told me that I had my C1 and C3 out. I was skeptical, and she suggested I see the massage therapist, where he does not do any sharp movements and no hard popping like a traditional chiropractor. So I went to him and got some relief. But it soon returned. In trying to find a solution to this debilitating feeling of dizziness and nausea I found the most amazing chiropractic office. Certainly I was skeptical. First thing they did was a series of tests; x-rays, strength tests, they put me on two scales, one for my right and left foot, amazingly enough one side weighed 20 lb more! That means I was putting more weight on one side than the other. So after all diagnostic tests were done. I went home. Next appointment, the chiropractor only did very small adjustments to my C1 and C3 which were so maladjusted I'm surprised I can stand at all. The following morning I expected to wake up and feel like I always felt, dizzy, nauseous, etc. Not! I feel so amazing! My C1 and C3 were so far out of adjustment it was causing me all kinds of problems. If you are having issues with vertigo, find a chiropractor that specializes in upper cervical pain or symptoms of vertigo. The chiropractor should do x-rays in order to find the bones that are out of place. I am a new man as a result of finally getting this discovered and corrected, for the first time in 10 years!

Comment from: zafar i., 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 18

I feel vertigo as my head is moving and have a feeling like I will have a sudden fall on earth. This has developed for last one month and I am even unable to walk when it gets started, and headache then remains constant. I have nasal congestion and my nose many times remains blocked and I feel that oxygen supply problem may have effect on brain or may be pressure on ear due to this. I am working as a nursing superintendent in a tertiary care hospital.

Comment from: Loleta, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My mom is suffering with vertigo. While in the bathroom she ended up on floor and had no idea how she got there and apparently she continued excreting without knowing, and feces were on floor. She felt nauseated and weak but did not have any other issues.

Comment from: MiMi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

One week ago while driving I noticed the sun was changing shapes and where it was positioned in the sky. Within 5 minutes I had pulled off the road and became extremely ill. I was so dizzy I could not see anything as it was all spinning so fast. I began vomiting and sweating profusely. I left the car running and rolled down the window, it was 25 degrees out, and I could not quit sweating or vomiting. I hit the phone button on my car and called the last person who I had spoken with, who thankfully had been my husband, and he called 911. I spent 7 hours in the emergency room and had tests, but I had vertigo 13 years earlier so I knew what it was. My diagnosis was acute vertigo, shock, loss of consciousness, and dehydration from the sweating and vomiting. I am still home from work and gradually getting better. I am still unable to see small print but can see the things on the walls now. I am still staggering and get nauseated easily. I am taking meclizine and Ativan, previously the Ativan had not been prescribed but it helps a lot. I hope I never have another one of these attacks!

Comment from: Rani, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I first noticed that I wasn't walking in a straight line and was heading off to the left. This went on for some time. Then I noticed that when I was driving I didn't feel 'grounded’. Eventually I couldn't drive because of the vertigo. Now I can’t walk unless I hang on to something. I have had my eye tested, I go to the physiotherapy and chiropractor. This has been going on for over 5 weeks. It is affecting my job and day to day life. Hearing test is next and then a CT scan. It has been good reading of other people’s experiences as it doesn't make you feel so alone.

Comment from: JessyeLyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been suffering with these vertigo episodes for 5 days now. I have never felt anything like this before. In the beginning I thought it was just something quirky my head was doing. After the second day, I realized that there was something else going on. Today being the 5th day, I decided to get to the doctor. I have been diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. I have been prescribed meclizine. I am unsure what has caused this. I am 33 years old and have never experienced anything like this in my life. Although I do have chronic inner ear infections. I also was in a car accident 10 months ago that has severally messed my neck up. This is unlike any feeling you will ever know. It is not dizziness and yet it is. I just hope they find a solution to this soon.

Comment from: jOAN, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was being treated for Lyme disease with an antibiotic called doxycycline for over a week and was feeling better. On the 8th day I took the pill a few minutes before going to bed for the night and when I lay down, the room was spinning so bad I thought I had a stroke. I then felt like throwing up and got out of bed and fell into a wall. I hugged the toilet for hours throwing up and then had dry heaves. I called my doctor the next day and went to see him. I feel dizzy but he gave me motion sickness pills and I have to go get a MRI. I wonder if the vertigo could be a side effect of the drug.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Yesterday, Sunday, 3rd May 2015, I had my worst attack of vertigo. During the night I got up to go to the toilet and knew I had vertigo. When I went to get up in the morning I could not walk except holding on to something sturdy; even that was frightening. Usually when I stay in bed, I am able to get up around 5 pm. But yesterday I had to stay in bed all day and by 11 pm I was slightly improved. I took the medication prescribed by my doctor. I have never taken medication before for vertigo. Today I am out of bed and able to walk slowly.

Comment from: cheddie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

About a month ago I got out of my bed in the morning and got very dizzy. This had never happened to me before. About 10 minutes later I started vomiting and couldn't eat at all. Even water and juice came back up! I went to see my doctor and was told I had vertigo. He wrote down the name of a drug to buy over the counter. I was told by the pharmacist it was sea sick medicine. I had been sick for about a week! I got up this morning but no dizziness! I started vomiting so took 2 pills for sea sickness. An hour later the nausea was gone. I ate today with no problem at all. It worked and I am still feeling great! I will stay on it for a few days! I only hope this doesn't happen all the time but seems like it’s easily fixed for me!

Comment from: MTYDALLAS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I went to an ear doctor just to clean up my left ear. The doctor did it dry, not the way my other doctor did it before, with a syringe and warm water. I remember the doctor saying, ‘what is that’, and trying to yank it out of my ear. It was a nerve in my inner ear that is causing me have double vision and headaches almost daily. I went to my family doctor in Dallas and told him what the ear doctor did to my ear. My doctor in Dallas right away said that it was causing me having vertigo. Now, I have double vision, headaches and without medication I see double once in a while.

Comment from: gabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was recently diagnosed with severe vertigo, having had episodes in the past but light episodes. I never suffer nausea, maybe my diagnosis is wrong! My dizziness continues when I lie down and try to sleep it off. My severe episode hit me hard and my head felt like it was falling off. I thought I was dying. I could only see a little when I turned my head to the left. The whole thing lasted several seconds. I called my sister to take me to the emergency room.

Comment from: molly/sheba, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

My doctor is ordering tests for vertigo but until then, I’ve been experiencing light headaches, upset stomach (no throwing up), and feeling like I'm going to pass out. I get weak and sore muscles after an episode. I go into panic attack mode and have to take Xanax to calm down. I'm thinking this has a variety of symptoms; whereas a person can experience something different from the next person, but it is all in the vertigo family. Note: Since I have a history of panic attacks I've learned to take half a dose (.25) of Xanax every 6 hours.

Comment from: wverns, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I never had anything like vertigo in my life. I was driving and all of sudden the world was spinning and I felt sick, was hot and sweating. Thank goodness my husband was in front of me. I just stopped and started vomiting like crazy. I thought I was going to die. My husband backed up and asked me what happened. I was crying getting sick and sweating. I told him I think I'm dying, and he called 911. I was in the emergency room. They gave me shots and after a few hours I felt better. I never want to go through that ever again. I was scared to death. My heart goes out to anybody that ever went through this.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm so tired of people describing vertigo as dizziness. I know what dizzy is, I was anemic as a child into my teen years and often became dizzy or faint. Vertigo is a whole different animal. I can't tell you how horrifying it is to suddenly open your eyes from a deep sleep with the sensation of a great need to right yourself...reaching out for any stable surface to hold onto in order to keep from landing on your head and the bonus being that your eyeballs are vibrating. When I called my E.N.T. doctor for an appointment his dingbat at the desk said "Oh, you're dizzy? Do you feel faint?" I said "NO! I'm having an episode of vertigo!" She said "O.K. you're feeling dizzy, how about next Thursday?" GEEZE LOUISE. Somebody out there must know the difference.

Comment from: Milwaukee Irish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have suffered from vertigo off and on for more than 29 years. I was diagnosed with a middle ear infection and the doctor treated it with Meclizine. It helps somewhat with the dizziness, but it knocks you out. All you do is sleep, and it doesn't cure the problem, it only treats the symptoms -- taking the dizziness away. I finally went to the best ENT in Milwaukee and he said treating it with an allergy medication is what works. I also have a lot of allergies -- seasonal, environmental, animals -- so I do need to take something for that. By taking one tablet every day (I now use Singulair, but I have used Claritin and Zyrtec in the past), I am vertigo-free. Almost as a test, this past spring I happened to be out of my prescription for several weeks and didn't take anything. Sure enough, the vertigo came back. As soon as I was back on Singulair for about six days straight, the vertigo was gone again. I will never be without the allergy medication again. As I understand it, the allergy medication dries up the fluid in your ears that causes the vertigo. I have no medical background, but this method really has worked for me.

Comment from: steve, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

Hi Lynn Marie, I was diagnosed with vertigo a few months ago, I was off work for a month and a half altogether. I was constantly dizzy and very very weak, barely able to walk straight. After constant trips to the doctor he finally prescribed me a tablet called "SERC". I have responded brilliantly to it, and although it is not completely gone, I am now back at work and getting on with my life.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I also have vertigo and was given meclizine and it didn't work I went back to the doctor and was given Lorazepam 0.5mg and it works wonders. I take a dramamine every day when I get up and take the Lorazepam when I feel the symptoms coming on, then I lay down and sleep for a few hours. I haven't had a "bad" case of vertigo since the first one in May 09. I had to be carried out on a stretcher and taken by ambulance the first time because I couldn't sit up because of the nausea. Hope this helps LynnMarie and anybody else with this awful problem

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I was diagnosed with vertigo about 17 years ago. I was on the fire department got an alarm about 4:30 am and couldn't get down a set of steps at the fire station. My captain thought I was having a heart attack. I was sent to the hospital by ambulance. I also suffer from depression, panic attacks, high blood pressure, type II diabetes and skin cancer. I am 71 yrs old. This past week, the vertigo has come back and I have a hard time going to bed because of the feeling of the room spinning around. I plan on going to my family doctor to see if he can find out what is causing this. I just want to be able to spend my golden years enjoying my wife and myself.

My husband acquired an outer ear infection two years ago. At the hospital, he was treated for a bacterial infection. Three days later, he suffered facial paralysis and severe pain in his ear and right side of his head. After being admitted to the hospital, it was discovered he had shingles and the virus had spread to his brain. He underwent six months of therapy for his accompanying dizziness and vestibular problems. Now two years later, he is still dizzy and has numerous balance problems. He cannot drive or perform normal activities. He only gets relief when he lies down; so much of his life is spent in bed. If he had been given Valtrex the first day he went to the hospital, he may not be as bad as he is. The doctor says that the nerve from the inner ear to the brain is damaged, as well as two facial nerves. He looks like he had a stroke. He must walk with a cane to support himself so he does not fall down. He is taking gabapentin for the pain and meclizine for the dizziness along with an antidepressant. He is soon to start another round of therapy for the dizziness.

Comment from: LynnMarie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 52 and I was diagnosed with vertigo. I have had two really bad days: One time I had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The second time, just a month ago, I felt it coming on and laid down in a dark room and fell asleep. I was prescribed meclizine, which I’m taking, but it doesn’t seem to help at all. I don’t know what else to do.

Comment from: Bridgett , 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had a lot of trauma the last few weeks with family issues and my anxiety isn't helping the vertigo. I have been thinking lately I'm going to fall off the earth and need help.

Comment from: Jimmyfa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 03

I get dizzy with vertigo when standing or with movement of my head.

Comment from: Rose, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 12

My vertigo symptoms are vomiting, sweating, and dizziness, and my eyes are rolling everywhere.

Comment from: Ddc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 17

I live with constant chronic pain from having back surgery. During my surgery, while I was under anesthesia, my neurosurgeon pushed me into the frame of the spinal table. I feel like I have been detached at the waist. My entire rectus abdominis is permanently damaged. My pain has cost me my nursing career and ever having children. I have tried everything. Now, I have had my medicines cut to breakthrough only. I have asked over 2 years to change my medicines, without luck.

Comment from: saint, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: September 10

I feel like my head is flipping with vertigo, only for seconds.

Comment from: Georgianna, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 30

I had this episode of vertigo about six weeks, and taking Antivert at night helps. Morning starts off ok, during the day it is recommended I take Claritin. Sometimes the Antivert makes it worse. I wonder if I should continue taking both or try just one medication.

Comment from: kloey88, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 26

I have vertigo and my husband thinks that is why I don't clean the house.

Comment from: Erik , 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I have been dizzy for 3 weeks and meclizine seems not to be working for my vertigo. I wonder if I should still take the medicine.

Comment from: rosa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am diabetic and was recently prescribed Trulicity. Since then I have neck problems and headaches. I woke up with vertigo, nausea, and indigestion.

Comment from: susbysusby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

Vertigo is horrible. That's all I can say. Spin around 20 times and try to walk. That's how it feels every time I move my head. So frustrating along with the process to get help. Awful.

Comment from: SEZsmitty, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I've been dizzy and lightheaded for about a month. My wife of 65 years died about two months ago, but I do not know if that stress is a factor for my vertigo or not. Typical treatments for the relocation of the 'stones', or whatever they are called, do not work at all.

Comment from: Kay, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 15

My mother is 81 years old and has suffered from vertigo for quite a few years. The doctors and specialists have said it is because her ear canals are very small and there is nothing they can do. The last 2 months she has got worse.

Comment from: Ggr.pm, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My mother is suffering from dizziness and vomiting. She can’t hear from one ear and this vertigo happened once a month. But these days it is happening once a week.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW