Vertigo

Please describe your experience with vertigo. Submit Your Comment

Comment from: carebear, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: April 06

Let me start out by saying I have been diagnosed with a stroke. Ever since I had the stroke my head is just not right. I also have diabetes and this could have been from that. Yesterday I hadn't really eaten all day because my daughter was having surgery, but I was sitting on the couch and I got so dizzy, the room was spinning round and round and even up and down, I thought I was going to pass out. After that I was so sick I threw up and couldn't eat. I am just curious if this is from vertigo or diabetes. I was so scared I never want to go through that again. Guess I will be making a doctor's appointment.

Comment from: Annie T10, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 30

I have been experiencing vertigo for almost a week now. It started with heavy nausea and even diarrhea on Christmas Eve 2016. I have not been able to enjoy much of anything. It wasn't till yesterday that I decided to take myself to the emergency room. They gave me Zofran for nausea and Antivert for the vertigo as well as some Ativan. I woke up a little better, but I just feel out of it. Like at any minute I can just fall. I still have heavy nausea and have not been able to eat a full meal. Glad to see I'm not alone.

Comment from: dn, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: May 13

I have been experiencing vertigo off on and on for years. Mostly after a chiropractic adjustment, which only makes it worse. Horrible dizziness where I cannot tell which way is up or down. I wake up extremely dizzy with nausea and cannot deal with any motion. Here's where my life totally changed. I went to a wellness center and just mentioned that I had vertigo and the owner told me that I had my C1 and C3 out. I was skeptical, and she suggested I see the massage therapist, where he does not do any sharp movements and no hard popping like a traditional chiropractor. So I went to him and got some relief. But it soon returned. In trying to find a solution to this debilitating feeling of dizziness and nausea I found the most amazing chiropractic office. Certainly I was skeptical. First thing they did was a series of tests; x-rays, strength tests, they put me on two scales, one for my right and left foot, amazingly enough one side weighed 20 lb more! That means I was putting more weight on one side than the other. So after all diagnostic tests were done. I went home. Next appointment, the chiropractor only did very small adjustments to my C1 and C3 which were so maladjusted I'm surprised I can stand at all. The following morning I expected to wake up and feel like I always felt, dizzy, nauseous, etc. Not! I feel so amazing! My C1 and C3 were so far out of adjustment it was causing me all kinds of problems. If you are having issues with vertigo, find a chiropractor that specializes in upper cervical pain or symptoms of vertigo. The chiropractor should do x-rays in order to find the bones that are out of place. I am a new man as a result of finally getting this discovered and corrected, for the first time in 10 years!

Comment from: zafar i., 35-44 Male (Caregiver) Published: March 18

I feel vertigo as my head is moving and have a feeling like I will have a sudden fall on earth. This has developed for last one month and I am even unable to walk when it gets started, and headache then remains constant. I have nasal congestion and my nose many times remains blocked and I feel that oxygen supply problem may have effect on brain or may be pressure on ear due to this. I am working as a nursing superintendent in a tertiary care hospital.

Comment from: Loleta, 65-74 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 02

My mom is suffering with vertigo. While in the bathroom she ended up on floor and had no idea how she got there and apparently she continued excreting without knowing, and feces were on floor. She felt nauseated and weak but did not have any other issues.

Comment from: rosa, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 03

I am diabetic and was recently prescribed Trulicity. Since then I have neck problems and headaches. I woke up with vertigo, nausea, and indigestion.

Comment from: susbysusby, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 17

Vertigo is horrible. That's all I can say. Spin around 20 times and try to walk. That's how it feels every time I move my head. So frustrating along with the process to get help. Awful.

Comment from: MiMi, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 19

One week ago while driving I noticed the sun was changing shapes and where it was positioned in the sky. Within 5 minutes I had pulled off the road and became extremely ill. I was so dizzy I could not see anything as it was all spinning so fast. I began vomiting and sweating profusely. I left the car running and rolled down the window, it was 25 degrees out, and I could not quit sweating or vomiting. I hit the phone button on my car and called the last person who I had spoken with, who thankfully had been my husband, and he called 911. I spent 7 hours in the emergency room and had tests, but I had vertigo 13 years earlier so I knew what it was. My diagnosis was acute vertigo, shock, loss of consciousness, and dehydration from the sweating and vomiting. I am still home from work and gradually getting better. I am still unable to see small print but can see the things on the walls now. I am still staggering and get nauseated easily. I am taking meclizine and Ativan, previously the Ativan had not been prescribed but it helps a lot. I hope I never have another one of these attacks!

Comment from: Rani, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I first noticed that I wasn't walking in a straight line and was heading off to the left. This went on for some time. Then I noticed that when I was driving I didn't feel 'grounded'. Eventually I couldn't drive because of the vertigo. Now I can't walk unless I hang on to something. I have had my eye tested, I go to the physiotherapy and chiropractor. This has been going on for over 5 weeks. It is affecting my job and day to day life. Hearing test is next and then a CT scan. It has been good reading of other people's experiences as it doesn't make you feel so alone.

Comment from: JessyeLyn, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 11

I have been suffering with these vertigo episodes for 5 days now. I have never felt anything like this before. In the beginning I thought it was just something quirky my head was doing. After the second day, I realized that there was something else going on. Today being the 5th day, I decided to get to the doctor. I have been diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo. I have been prescribed meclizine. I am unsure what has caused this. I am 33 years old and have never experienced anything like this in my life. Although I do have chronic inner ear infections. I also was in a car accident 10 months ago that has severally messed my neck up. This is unlike any feeling you will ever know. It is not dizziness and yet it is. I just hope they find a solution to this soon.

Comment from: jOAN, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was being treated for Lyme disease with an antibiotic called doxycycline for over a week and was feeling better. On the 8th day I took the pill a few minutes before going to bed for the night and when I lay down, the room was spinning so bad I thought I had a stroke. I then felt like throwing up and got out of bed and fell into a wall. I hugged the toilet for hours throwing up and then had dry heaves. I called my doctor the next day and went to see him. I feel dizzy but he gave me motion sickness pills and I have to go get a MRI. I wonder if the vertigo could be a side effect of the drug.

Comment from: Pat, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 05

Yesterday, Sunday, 3rd May 2015, I had my worst attack of vertigo. During the night I got up to go to the toilet and knew I had vertigo. When I went to get up in the morning I could not walk except holding on to something sturdy; even that was frightening. Usually when I stay in bed, I am able to get up around 5 pm. But yesterday I had to stay in bed all day and by 11 pm I was slightly improved. I took the medication prescribed by my doctor. I have never taken medication before for vertigo. Today I am out of bed and able to walk slowly.

Comment from: cheddie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 28

About a month ago I got out of my bed in the morning and got very dizzy. This had never happened to me before. About 10 minutes later I started vomiting and couldn't eat at all. Even water and juice came back up! I went to see my doctor and was told I had vertigo. He wrote down the name of a drug to buy over the counter. I was told by the pharmacist it was sea sick medicine. I had been sick for about a week! I got up this morning but no dizziness! I started vomiting so took 2 pills for sea sickness. An hour later the nausea was gone. I ate today with no problem at all. It worked and I am still feeling great! I will stay on it for a few days! I only hope this doesn't happen all the time but seems like it's easily fixed for me!

Comment from: MTYDALLAS, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I went to an ear doctor just to clean up my left ear. The doctor did it dry, not the way my other doctor did it before, with a syringe and warm water. I remember the doctor saying, 'what is that', and trying to yank it out of my ear. It was a nerve in my inner ear that is causing me have double vision and headaches almost daily. I went to my family doctor in Dallas and told him what the ear doctor did to my ear. My doctor in Dallas right away said that it was causing me having vertigo. Now, I have double vision, headaches and without medication I see double once in a while.

Comment from: gabby, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I was recently diagnosed with severe vertigo, having had episodes in the past but light episodes. I never suffer nausea, maybe my diagnosis is wrong! My dizziness continues when I lie down and try to sleep it off. My severe episode hit me hard and my head felt like it was falling off. I thought I was dying. I could only see a little when I turned my head to the left. The whole thing lasted several seconds. I called my sister to take me to the emergency room.

Comment from: molly/sheba, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

My doctor is ordering tests for vertigo but until then, I've been experiencing light headaches, upset stomach (no throwing up), and feeling like I'm going to pass out. I get weak and sore muscles after an episode. I go into panic attack mode and have to take Xanax to calm down. I'm thinking this has a variety of symptoms; whereas a person can experience something different from the next person, but it is all in the vertigo family. Note: Since I have a history of panic attacks I've learned to take half a dose (.25) of Xanax every 6 hours.

Comment from: wverns, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 29

I never had anything like vertigo in my life. I was driving and all of sudden the world was spinning and I felt sick, was hot and sweating. Thank goodness my husband was in front of me. I just stopped and started vomiting like crazy. I thought I was going to die. My husband backed up and asked me what happened. I was crying getting sick and sweating. I told him I think I'm dying, and he called 911. I was in the emergency room. They gave me shots and after a few hours I felt better. I never want to go through that ever again. I was scared to death. My heart goes out to anybody that ever went through this.

Comment from: [email protected], 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 23

I'm so tired of people describing vertigo as dizziness. I know what dizzy is, I was anemic as a child into my teen years and often became dizzy or faint. Vertigo is a whole different animal. I can't tell you how horrifying it is to suddenly open your eyes from a deep sleep with the sensation of a great need to right yourself...reaching out for any stable surface to hold onto in order to keep from landing on your head and the bonus being that your eyeballs are vibrating. When I called my E.N.T. doctor for an appointment his dingbat at the desk said "Oh, you're dizzy? Do you feel faint?" I said "NO! I'm having an episode of vertigo!" She said "O.K. you're feeling dizzy, how about next Thursday?" GEEZE LOUISE. Somebody out there must know the difference.

Comment from: Milwaukee Irish, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I have suffered from vertigo off and on for more than 29 years. I was diagnosed with a middle ear infection and the doctor treated it with Meclizine. It helps somewhat with the dizziness, but it knocks you out. All you do is sleep, and it doesn't cure the problem, it only treats the symptoms -- taking the dizziness away. I finally went to the best ENT in Milwaukee and he said treating it with an allergy medication is what works. I also have a lot of allergies -- seasonal, environmental, animals -- so I do need to take something for that. By taking one tablet every day (I now use Singulair, but I have used Claritin and Zyrtec in the past), I am vertigo-free. Almost as a test, this past spring I happened to be out of my prescription for several weeks and didn't take anything. Sure enough, the vertigo came back. As soon as I was back on Singulair for about six days straight, the vertigo was gone again. I will never be without the allergy medication again. As I understand it, the allergy medication dries up the fluid in your ears that causes the vertigo. I have no medical background, but this method really has worked for me.

Comment from: steve, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

Hi Lynn Marie, I was diagnosed with vertigo a few months ago, I was off work for a month and a half altogether. I was constantly dizzy and very very weak, barely able to walk straight. After constant trips to the doctor he finally prescribed me a tablet called "SERC". I have responded brilliantly to it, and although it is not completely gone, I am now back at work and getting on with my life.

Comment from: Betty, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I also have vertigo and was given meclizine and it didn't work I went back to the doctor and was given Lorazepam 0.5mg and it works wonders. I take a dramamine every day when I get up and take the Lorazepam when I feel the symptoms coming on, then I lay down and sleep for a few hours. I haven't had a "bad" case of vertigo since the first one in May 09. I had to be carried out on a stretcher and taken by ambulance the first time because I couldn't sit up because of the nausea. Hope this helps LynnMarie and anybody else with this awful problem

Comment from: John, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: September 23

I was diagnosed with vertigo about 17 years ago. I was on the fire department got an alarm about 4:30 am and couldn't get down a set of steps at the fire station. My captain thought I was having a heart attack. I was sent to the hospital by ambulance. I also suffer from depression, panic attacks, high blood pressure, type II diabetes and skin cancer. I am 71 yrs old. This past week, the vertigo has come back and I have a hard time going to bed because of the feeling of the room spinning around. I plan on going to my family doctor to see if he can find out what is causing this. I just want to be able to spend my golden years enjoying my wife and myself.

My husband acquired an outer ear infection two years ago. At the hospital, he was treated for a bacterial infection. Three days later, he suffered facial paralysis and severe pain in his ear and right side of his head. After being admitted to the hospital, it was discovered he had shingles and the virus had spread to his brain. He underwent six months of therapy for his accompanying dizziness and vestibular problems. Now two years later, he is still dizzy and has numerous balance problems. He cannot drive or perform normal activities. He only gets relief when he lies down; so much of his life is spent in bed. If he had been given Valtrex the first day he went to the hospital, he may not be as bad as he is. The doctor says that the nerve from the inner ear to the brain is damaged, as well as two facial nerves. He looks like he had a stroke. He must walk with a cane to support himself so he does not fall down. He is taking gabapentin for the pain and meclizine for the dizziness along with an antidepressant. He is soon to start another round of therapy for the dizziness.

Comment from: LynnMarie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 10

I am 52 and I was diagnosed with vertigo. I have had two really bad days: One time I had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance. The second time, just a month ago, I felt it coming on and laid down in a dark room and fell asleep. I was prescribed meclizine, which I'm taking, but it doesn't seem to help at all. I don't know what else to do.

Comment from: SEZsmitty, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: March 25

I've been dizzy and lightheaded for about a month. My wife of 65 years died about two months ago, but I do not know if that stress is a factor for my vertigo or not. Typical treatments for the relocation of the 'stones', or whatever they are called, do not work at all.

Comment from: Kay, 75 or over Female (Caregiver) Published: December 15

My mother is 81 years old and has suffered from vertigo for quite a few years. The doctors and specialists have said it is because her ear canals are very small and there is nothing they can do. The last 2 months she has got worse.

Comment from: Ggr.pm, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: November 18

My mother is suffering from dizziness and vomiting. She can't hear from one ear and this vertigo happened once a month. But these days it is happening once a week.

Comment from: Boo, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I walk into things and bump off furniture because of vertigo. Some force pushes me backwards. I move fast.

Comment from: Irritated, Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I have had an ongoing ear infection. Antibiotics seem to not help much or not at all. The doctor said it is a case of vertigo due to inner ear infection. I can't take the medicine they gave me because it knocks me out quickly. Next step is ENT specialist; but I don't know how I can help the dizziness in the meantime.

Comment from: Clarice, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I suddenly have no control of my balance. Feels like I am being pushed back and can't control, myself. I also have ringing of ears, and am getting really hot. But just before the vertigo I feel really good.

Comment from: chrissy brecht, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: November 02

I am 25 years old and I have had vertigo for about 5 years now. When I had insurance I went to the ENT and was given meclizine 25 mg. This has not worked for me at all. I am currently engaged and my fiance did not understand how bad this is when you get it. This past month I have been getting little spells and one Saturday it hit so hard I'm always trying to make my way to the bathroom to throw up. Now he sees what it really does to me and I'm out all day long just sleeping. I really wish that soon they will come out with something that will take this away. I have been trying everything the doctor said to do. I am taking allergy medication now to see if it works.

Comment from: truqueen, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I agree with the first 2 comments about Meclazine not working very well and I also am tired of people saying vertigo is dizziness. It is not! I've had it for 17 years. It usually hits me the worst in the spring and fall. I work in a factory where I have to use ear plugs and I think that is how this all started for me. I decided to use Allegra and Afrin nasal spray and that helps more than the Meclazine. I usually have eye movement problems and balance problems on a daily basis and it is debilitating to the point that I too have become depressed and suffer from anxiety attacks. I've just been dealing with it, but I'm typing through my tears right now because I'm so tired of going through this. I'm suffering thru a bad episode right now that has been going on for about a week. The doctors want to treat the symptoms and not address a cure because then we won't be their patients anymore.

Comment from: Lillan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I have suffered from BPPV for well over a year but was ignored for a good while by my physician. I suppose dizziness is a common complaint from patients. In the meantime I had some vascular problems, had one carotid artery cleaned out, then had stents put into my legs, so I was not very active. The dizziness did not disappear along with the balance problems. Finally, after my vascular ordeals, I went to se an ENT who sent me to an ENG test, then sent me to a center for balance and mobility where vertigo patients are treated by trained physical therapists. It was established that my problem was BPPV, but all the various maneuvers did not seem to settled these crystals in my right ear. Meclizine did not help the dizziness. After a couple of months, I went to see a neurologist, who again confirmed the diagnosis BPPV and prescribed .25 mg of clononazepam (valium). I am not sure if it works. This affliction is really destroying the quality of my life. At this point, the doctors feel I just have to wait for it to disappear by itself and doing the maneuvers at home. I also have various exercises to perform to strengthen my balance problem. It is no fun. I am 71 years old and should still be able to enjoy life, my children and grandchildren.

Comment from: Ann, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

I had some days when I had vertigo in bed, but it subsided when I got up. Then this weekend I had it, it went away when I got up, but then hit me hard when I looked up at the ceiling. I was nauseated and had trouble walking or moving. I took Bonine, which is over-the-counter meclizine, that I always have for motion sickness, then Benadryl to shrink any swollen membranes. I had it for about 5 hours. Then I was fine the next day and the third day it was back again all day. The fourth day I have had it in the morning and couldn't drive, but it subsides by mid-afternoon. I may have some swelling in one ear so I'm going to the ENT. I also have ringing in my ears which he says is Tinnitus. I'm not sure if tinnitus and vertigo go hand in hand or not. Bonine does help very well for motion sickness!

Comment from: juju, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I was first diagnosed with benign positional vertigo this past July after suddenly being unable to get out of bed without falling, not being able to look up without the feeling of spinning, and unable to look at anything moving without losing my balance. I had a stroke due to a car accident at age 33. Since then I have had weakness in my right side and fall a lot. In July, the doctors did an EKG, CAT scan, and an MRI because of my history. All were normal. The medicine they prescribed never really helped. I did finally go to a chiropractor who treats this and found almost instant relief. However, now I have been running a fever for four days with no other symptoms and the vertigo is back. It's much milder than before, but it's still scary. When I feel better, I will go to the chiropractor again.

Comment from: gkl, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I have had vertigo, and I have beaten it! The first time, I was taken by ambulance to the emergency room and given a bunch of tests. It was then that I was told I had Vertigo. I was given Meclizine, which I would use whenever the symptoms of nausea and dizziness came along. I would go into a dark, air-conditioned room and it would get better after a few days. I would almost always get the symptoms as soon as my head hit the pillow or when I turned over in bed, or whenever I looked high up in the sky at something. I was determined to beat it and found that by placing both hands over my ears and pressing inwards, creating suction a couple of times whenever I felt it coming on, that would help eliminate the symptoms of vertigo. I believe that the suction created by the hands does something to those out-of-place crystals in the inner ear canal. I no longer have vertigo!

Comment from: Cori, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I am a 35 year old mother. I have 2 sons: Joey is 10 and Chase is 10 months old. My husband was laid off his job as a brick layer. I just had a baby and we could not afford our apartment so we moved in with my husband's father, and his girlfriend of 15 years. A month after we moved in, my husband's sister got kicked out if her house for stealing $800.00 in change to support her Percocet problem. She also has 2 kids; one is 4 and the other one is 8 months old. It's like I live in a zoo now. The other night when the kids were in bed, she was high off her Percocet and decided to use my head as punching bag. She broke my nose, she bruised my ear and I have about 5 lumps in my head the size of baseballs, thank God my husband heard me yelling and came to the rescue and pulled her off of me. When I went to the hospital they only gave me an x-ray of my nose, told me in was broken... Ever since I woke up this morning with a bad headache, double vision, blurred vision, abnormal eye movements, feeling very weak, I was off balance and dizzy. It was hard to carry my 10 months old. Now I am having shaking in my left arm, it comes and goes. I decided to look up my symptoms on the computer and it brought me to the Vertigo page. I am thinking I should go back to the ER I went to and ask them for a CT scan. I tried to call my family doctor and they told me the soonest I could get seen by a doctor would be Thursday afternoon. I can't wait that long. I'm scared....

Comment from: terry, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

Last night at 1am, there was a lightning storm and a lightning strike apparently hit really close to our house and woke me up. IT was so loud and startling that I jumped out of bed and my heart was racing - truly the loudest, most reverberating strike I've witnessed. It must have hit a transformer, because all the lights across the street went out. I went back to sleep but this morning I woke up very dizzy and have had vertigo most of the day.

Comment from: June, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: September 23

It started out with severe nausea that lasted most of the night. I was feeling better but the next day, I still felt weak. The third night, I was still nauseated and staggering, and I even needed help to get to the bathroom. I finally called my doctor and he advised me to go to the emergency room. They gave me medicine for the nausea and for dizziness and they did a CT scan to rule out the possibility of a stroke. I was finally diagnosed with vertigo. This sickness is similar to motion sickness or sea sickness, but I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. They also gave me two prescriptions that I need to get filled.

Comment from: Pam, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 11

I have no definite diagnosis at this time. For over 5 years I have battled vertigo, dizziness, migraines, and actually falling down. First diagnosis was MS. Then that changed to a stroke. Now, an inner ear disorder. My hearing is intact so the ENT doctor could not help me. My neuorologist now believes it is something with the labyrinth. I have tried numerous medications. Now surgery may be in the future with the risk losing my hearing attached to it. Is there anyone with the same frustration over being unable to accurately diagnose the problems?

Comment from: Louise56, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 09

I have been suffering with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo, my eyes feel strange and heavy.

Comment from: joan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I have a feeling of dizziness whenever I bend over.

Comment from: Lisa, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I get dizzy and sick to stomach and walk like I am drunk. If I bend over it is worse.

Comment from: Falcons67, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: November 20

The first episode was 11 days ago,. The world was spinning and I had violent nausea.

Comment from: Kendra, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: November 18

I have been suffering with vertigo for almost 20 years. I woke up one morning as if the ceiling was spinning, and I ran to the bathroom and threw up. It happens to me if I can't get enough sleep. For my body, I need eight hours of sleep. If not, vertigo will attack me.

Comment from: VC, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

This started four days ago: The room seems to spin very fast, and when that happens I get hot flashes and then need to vomit. For 36 hours, I couldn't keep any fluids down. The spinning happens mostly when I move my head at any angle but also when I am sitting still. Watching TV also sets off the spinning.

Comment from: JammyCammy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 25

I have dizziness and nausea when I lay down and then when I go to get back up! Bending down also causes it!

Comment from: mita, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

I woke one morning to answer the phone and my whole world was turned upside down. It was so bad that I vomited all over the house! That episode put me in bed and out of work for five weeks. That was seven years ago and it has recently returned. It is awful. I wish they could find a cure.

Comment from: rick, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

I feel like my body wants to fall forward.

Comment from: grammajulie, 45-54 Female (Caregiver) Published: July 01

My 51 year old brother has been suffering from vertigo for about two years now. His doctors just give him valium and meclizine. He only seems to have these bad spurts in the summertime when it is hot. I just returned from the hospital picking him up because he could not walk or get out of his door to get help. He had a perfect morning and had breakfast with his daughter, then he went home and was cleaning out this paper shredder when he got the spins.

Comment from: Kari, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 01

I am 72 years old and have had severe vertigo attacks every three to four days since 2012. Each attack lasts about 12 hours and requires me to be in bed in a dark quiet room and hopefully find a position where I am least dizzy and can fall asleep. I am taking 25mg meclizine four times a day (which I am told is the daily max) which has helped a tiny bit, but still have to spend 10 to 12 hours in bed. This is awful. I have no life. I'm afraid to go anywhere more than 10 minutes from home. I have an appointment with a neurologist soon. I'm hoping to find relief. This is no life.

Comment from: lagodsgirl, Female (Patient) Published: April 18

I am a nurse and speaking as one who suffers with extreme vertigo and have for several weeks now. I keep telling my doctor and doctors at the ER this is extreme. Calling it vertigo is silly. I had focal seizure and went to the ER after a neurological exam. The issue was dropped. I cannot even look down, or move my head left or right. Even rinsing my hands makes me dizzy. The whole room spins and my equilibrium is affected.

Comment from: Shari, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

I was recently diagnosed with Benign Positional Vertigo last year and I am 41. I have episodes every now and then. Nothing too major, until recently, I was out of work for five days. As a single mother, I can't afford that. I was extremely dehydrated. I took Dramamine and Pepto-Bismol and the nausea was so severe that I couldn't even throw up. I went to urgent care and they gave me an IV with Benadryl, bismuth and Reglan. Afterwards, I felt like a new person. I had an MRI the next morning, then went back to urgent care. I begged the doctor to give me what he gave me the day earlier, because I was feeling sick again. The MRI was normal; blood work was normal, and I am sitting here at my desk, totally nauseous and sick to my stomach. My head is light and I am having a hard time concentrating.

Comment from: brainy1, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I was diagnosed with an inner ear infection, which turned out to be a brain tumor. I couldn't get up without passing out from vertigo and the nausea was awful. This was 7 years ago. Now the vertigo has returned so I have an appointment scheduled with my PCP. This episode has gone on since July of this year.

Comment from: Janet, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 04

I just had my first attack of vertigo this past weekend. I woke from a sound sleep and everything was spinning, I literally thought I was going to die. I yelled to my husband that I needed help, that I was having a stroke or something. I agree "dizzy" isn't even close. The whole room was just spinning and wouldn't stop. The Emergency doctor gave me meclizine and promethazine. I followed up with my regular doctor on Monday and he put me on corticosteroids he said I had fluid in my ear, but it was clear fluid so there is no infection. The meds have helped, since I can now move my head without the room spinning out of control, but I am still having some problems. This is really the scariest thing to happen. I don't know about the long-term. I have to be able to drive and go to work.

Comment from: Bonnie A, 65-74 Male Published: November 02

I am a female and 66 yrs old. I have had vertigo for years. It seems to come and go, mostly have reactions during the winter season. Years ago my doctor had given me a prescription for Liquibid-D, which seemed to help tremendously. I would take 1/2 a pill once a day until the symptoms disappeared, which was in a couple of days. Then the pharmacy switched me to GFN 600/Phenyleph because Liquibid-D was no longer available. That seemed to help also. It would get rid of all my symptoms. Now they claim this medication is no longer available. So, I'm trying to find something I can take that will help my problem. These two prescriptions never gave me any side effects.

Comment from: Ceopal, 65-74 Female Published: November 02

Today I am suffering with dizziness that I have had for over a week. The first day was terrible and I finally took some meclizine, which helped some. This is my second bout with vertigo, which is a terrifying feeling. I continue to feel exhausted and I am afraid of driving because of this feeling. The comments from other is gratifying. Knowing that I am not alone in suffering from this ailment makes me feel better. Doctors are not able to explain why this is occurring. I am going to try some of the remedies that others have tried. Thanks so very much for your comments!!!

Comment from: dizzy1234, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 22

I've had vertigo for 8 years. I was in 2 car accidents 2000 and 2001. Doctor diagnosed me with BPPV. I tried Meclizine. It doesn't help much but I do take it when I fly once a year to see family. I get a sensation I'm about to have an episode so I close my eyes and stop what I'm doing. Yet last week, I almost fainted at work. I don't drive far because I'm afraid to hurt others. I did do exercises but they only help for a short time. I found that other medicines, even allergy meds make it worse, so I don't take them. The vertigo episodes are worse and I'm nervous I will lose my job. I'm seeing my regular doctor tomorrow to be sure nothing else is going on like blood pressure, blood clotting or such as I'm getting nauseous with episodes now that didn't use to happen before. Good luck everyone and hang in there. I feel someone will figure out how to help us all.

Comment from: Haji 1, 55-64 Male Published: October 22

I get dizzy bending over, looking up and even while sleeping when I turn from side to side.

Comment from: dprn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 20

I am a 39 year old woman. Married with 2 children. I am a nurse. I have had sinus/allergy /migraine/vertigo/dizziness problems since I was a small child, probably started when I was around 3 years old. Everyday I struggle. When I became pregnant with my 3 year old son, I was so dizzy every day that I had to be on bed rest for the entire pregnancy. I was diagnosed with an increased pressure on inner ears due to increased fluid from pregnancy. I saw ENTs, neurologists, allergists. This is debilitating, frustrating, depressing. I feel for anyone who has to feel this way. Please know you are not alone in your fight.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 19

I got this spinning sensation that almost made me fall to the floor. It was not a lightheaded dizzy feeling; it was the room was spinning and I felt like I was falling. Anyway I went to an ENT and she said what I have is more common in the elderly but also has been found in others who may have had a head injury. So it can come about at any age, although it is more prevalent in the elderly...( ok how old is old?!) Anyway, we all have "crystals in our ears, but sometimes they move into the wrong part of the ear into the semicircular part. This sensation causes the spins and your eyes can't keep up with the spinning motion. It is like a delayed action to the eyes when those crystals shift into the wrong part of the ear and it takes a while of keeping your ear tilted to that one side. The ENT has ear exercises that you can do at home and after she does the procedure you have to sleep in a recliner for one night so the crystals can stay on the right side of the ear canal. They are supposed to be in a jelly-like substance in the ear, but for some reason in the elderly, that jelly like substance thins out - and if you had any head injuries that can cause the crystals to move over. When I leave the office after she does the procedure I wear a neck collar so as not to tilt my head or move those crystals back on the wrong side.

Comment from: smsmith0202, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 16

I've just had a second episode of vertigo, almost identical to the first after nine months. Both started out the same, but the first came on much faster. I lost hearing in my left ear, and then I begin to start feeling dizzy, then nauseous, and began to vomit. Both of these happened in the AM and at work. I had been given Meclizine but had taken it out of my purse, so I didn't have it with me at work the second time. Both times I was taken via ambulance to the ER and each time I was given medicine to stop the vomiting and dizziness in the ER and after a few hours released. After the first episode, I visited and ENT, who said he found nothing wrong with my ear and didn't think it was Vertigo. I think now I need to see and neurologist. I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced this kind of Vertigo attack? I am a female, 46 yrs old.

Comment from: luvmyzoe, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

Vertigo has pretty much taken over my life! I can't sleep laying down straight, I have lay propped up on my couch, and it gets worse when I am at work. It gets to the point where my head is spinning and I have to sit down or hold myself up against a wall. My doctor prescribed me Antivert but it really hasn't done much for me. Hopefully he can help me and try something different because this vertigo has started to take over my life.

Comment from: margie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 14

One day I turned around to look behind me and BOOM! I was so dizzy and I just felt so sick to my stomach. I was in such a sweat, my heart was just pounding and I thought I was having a heart attack. I made my way to a chair and asked my boss for help (I was at work). He then had me call my daughter who took me to the ER. I was admitted to the hospital and kept there for two say and I still have not gone back to work because of the symptoms. I work in a deli and I miss dealing with people and this just really depresses me.

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 13

My problem started 3 days ago, and I have had 3 episodes since. I was standing there talking to a friend and I had this feeling like someone had pushed me, it was the strangest feeling I had ever had. This has happened 3 times in 3 days, the only thing leading up to this was I had been very tired. I went to the doctor today and he prescribed me a tablet called "Stemetil".

Comment from: Maverick, Male (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 62 and about nine or 10 years ago, I was involved in a nasty car accident. The accident caused me to have severe neck and back problems and severe headaches since then. I was an antique truck buff and usually would lie under them to do repairs and maintenance. One day, I could not get over this terrible headache, profuse sweating, and nauseous feeling. I went to the doctor and explained what I had been feeling, and that everything seemed to be out of balance. I found myself thinking that I was walking crooked down the hall at home. He said that I had vertigo, checked my ears for fluid and said that it would go away, and if it did not to come back to him. He prescribed some pill, and I did not use it because I already take enough of them. The vertigo comes and goes. I was lying on the couch and tried to get up. I could not get my balance and then I found myself on the floor because I had fainted. I get the vertigo attacks if I lie on my back or if my head is lower than the rest of my body. I immediately begin to sweat and the headaches pound in my head. I have a very difficult time when I go to the dentist. He has to elevate me to a position that feels comfortable to me. I had an attack recently that lasted only about an hour, but they have lasted as long as two days. I feel terrible because I can't drive and can't function. Lying down in bed is the worst thing I can do.

Comment from: bellaboo, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I'm 46 years old, and have had vertigo for 6 years. It's still not clear what brought it on for me. I take an over-the-counter product called "bodine" (my insurance no longer covers me for a prescription medication). Besides the dizziness, and imbalance issues, I only find relief when I lay down in a darkened room.

Comment from: seahorses, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: September 23

I suffer from regular vertigo and nausea which makes it nearly impossible to work for a week or more every month. I'm fine if I'm lying completely flat and not moving at all, but as soon as I try to get out of bed I start throwing up. At first the episodes were few, but it's gotten progressively worse over the past several years. I've seen so many doctors, had so many diagnoses and have taken so many medications I struggle to keep up with it all. It's debilitating and frustrating. I'm reaching the end of my ability to cope with this.

Comment from: 75 or over Female Published: September 23

My doctor spent two months last year trying to rid me of vertigo problems which came about from sinus problems. I was not getting better and the vertigo medicine wasn't helping. I fell several times from the unsteadiness and dizziness. It was not the first time over the years that I came down with vertigo from sinus problems. I went to an ENT and he knew immediately what the problem was. He said it was BPPV. Somehow the little calcium "crystals" in your ears don't dissolve like they should. I went through four Epley treatments at a physical therapy place and I was well enough to fly to family for the holidays. I previously experienced barotrauma (awful pressure pain) every time I flew, but thanks to his advice (a squirt of Afrin in each nostril one half hour before liftoff, ear plugs specifically for flying, and chewing gum) I managed, for the first time, to have a painless flight. I now do the physical ear exercises at home lying in bed which helps those calcium crystals move into the proper area where they can be dissolved.

Comment from: 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosis with Vertigo in February. I went to urgent care and was given motion sickness pills and was sent home. The next day I was ten times worse. My father who also has had Vertigo for ten plus years knew to take me to the ER. I was given 25MG tab. of Meclizine. All it does is put me to sleep. At the time it was only me and my five year old son. I had a hard time caring for both of us. I have never felt so helpless, but know when I start to feel crappy, I take Aspirin. It helps me. I hate having Vertigo.

Comment from: cayenne, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: October 27

I was diagnosed with vertigo a few months ago, for the last two years I was getting dizzy and weak. I didn't know what was wrong with me until finally a doctor diagnosed me with vertigo. I am not taking any medicine right now, because I hate to take them for the simple fact that sometimes medicine doesn't take care of the problem. It will give you something worse. I am taking natural herbs for it, and so far it is working for me. There is a powder that is called cayenne (organic). I mix it with honey and water and I take it when the vertigo starts. It helps me right away.

Comment from: sharon, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I just found out that I have vertigo. After being so dizzy I could not walk and spend most of morning in the bathroom. I took the Meclizine. Now they tell me not to take the medications.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 26

I just went thru my most recent bout of vertigo. This one lasted 3 days. I take Antivert, but I think it just has to run its course on its own. Two of my family members told me tonight that Niacin, an over the counter vitamin works wonders. I am going to try it. OK to take everyday and should eliminate altogether or help with the vertigo. I'll give anything a try after dealing with this for over 10 years. I am not one to take medication. I more or less tough it out, but the older I get, the harder it is to maintain when it hits.

Comment from: Terry, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 52 and had the horrible experience of a two-week vertigo attack in August of 2008. I am currently on my fourth day of another attack this year. An ENT gave me a homeopathic medication called vertigoheel. It is available on the Internet and helped me last year. I am on my way to see my physician to try to speed up the healing process.

Comment from: greenbrown8584, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I am 24 years old, and I just suffered my first episode of vertigo yesterday. It was so scary. I had felt fine all day, and I was cooking dinner for my family when I bent down to get something out of the oven and it hit me so that I couldn't even walk straight. I almost felt like I was very drunk but in a bad way. I couldn't talk straight, and I felt as if everything was in slow motion but spinning at the same time. The walls didn't look like they were spinning, but I did. I went to the emergency room, and they gave me a shot and it made me really sleepy. So this morning, I feel really tired and drugged. I don't know what caused this.

Comment from: t_ensign, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: October 05

I have had vertigo for more than 12 hours and the doctor put me on Valium (5 mg) to help me relax. It has helped a lot, but the room still spins.

• Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Post View 86 Comments
  • Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Post View 63 Comments
  • Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Post View 8 Comments
  • Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Post View 9 Comments

"Pregnancy and Dizziness." American Pregnancy Association.

"Essential Oils for Vertigo." New Health Advisor.

"Labyrinthitis and Vestibular Neuritis." Vestibular Disorders Association.

"Mal de Debarquement." Vestibular Disorders Association.

Furman, J. M., et al. "Patient information: Dizziness and vertigo (beyond the basics)." UpToDate. 19 November 2015.

Hain, T. C. "Meniere's Disease." American Hearing Research Foundation.

Labuguen, R. H. "Initial Evaluation of Vertigo." American Family Physician 73.2 (2006): 244-251.

Swartz, R. and P. Longwell. "Treatment of Vertigo." American Family Physician 71.6 (2005): 1115-1122.

Teggi, R., et al. "Vestibular testing in patients with panic disorder and chronic dizziness." Acta Otorhinolaryngolica Italica 27.5 (2007): 243-247.