Vertigo

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Tracey, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I have swelling ankles, legs and feet, sore and tender to touch, itchy, twinges in my right side and middle back. I sat on the edge of my bed, for about 10-15 seconds I felt like I was swaying, then all turned black before my eyes because of vertigo.

Comment from: Mak k, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I feel like throwing up and my head spins from the vertigo when I lie on my bed. My right ear is blocked, and I just feel like I will vomit; I don’t feel fine at all.

Comment from: Suzicoin, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

A week after surgery 12 years ago, when I tried lying down on my left side my eyes would roll in their sockets like a slot machine. No nausea and the vertigo lasted only 10 to 15 seconds. This happened constantly for 6 months and let up some. I had another surgery almost 2 years ago, and it started again. Any time I bend my head at all to the left I feel my eyes roll and if I’m standing I wobble and will fall if I can’t grab something. Just glad there’s no nausea, wish I hadn’t fallen onto my doctor.

Comment from: angel d, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: February 04

Along with vertigo I have been vomiting every day.

Comment from: Marianne, 55-64 (Patient) Published: January 23

At 3 am I opened my eyes and the room was tilting to the right. I sat up in bed and I had no equilibrium. I felt like I would fall into the walls or onto the ceiling. I crawled on the floor, grabbing things as I went so I wouldn't fall off the earth. I made it to the bathroom, vomited, and was sweating heavily and my whole body was buzzing. An ENT doctor said to see a neurologist but after reading some of these posts, it does appear to be vertigo.

Comment from: Earleo, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: April 16

I not sure what is happening. I just woke today and the room was spinning from vertigo. I have never felt this before.

Comment from: jaykrishnabhai, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 07

When I sleep and change sides vertigo starts.

Comment from: Cherry, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I got up to go to the bathroom and I felt my head was open. Then I started to feel and see like as if the whole room was open, spinning around. I stayed quiet and sat up on the bed for a while until my vertigo went away.

Comment from: Toby 82yrs old, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 31

I am a female and I’ve had vertigo at sixty five; screaming because I’m spinning. I can’t stand, and am going in circles. I tried putting one foot on floor while laying on carpet in the Church, didn’t work I thought it would never stop. When it did stop I went to the pharmacy at CVS where they had Rugby, a small bottle of travel sickness pills (they are meclizine pills). They work taken one pill three times a day for a week then only one pill a day in the morning to control dizziness. It’s a fantastic lifesaver.

Comment from: lost boy:(, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: December 06

I was totally normal, no problems, fit and healthy. All of a sudden I felt the whole world was spinning; vertigo started on and off until it just stayed there. It got me terrified. I tried painkillers of all sorts, but nothing eases the pain. I went to the dentist, ENT hospital, emergency room; no one could find what was wrong. It is like no one can solve this. I gave up. Every day one side of my head and jaw has pain, feels like spasms and vertigo and so tight. I am living with this and no one can help me.

Comment from: Mon , 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: December 03

nanovibronix

Comment from: Naveed, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: November 25

Not sure if it's vertigo as there is no dizziness or pain. Basically my problem is when I lie down in any position I get this sensation in my ear like something is about to come out if it. I stick my finger into the ear and shake it to clear my ear. The feeling goes, only to come back. I did have the doctor look at it and she said it was a mild inflammation, this was in September 2019. This feeling has been going on since April 2019, no pain but the doctor did clean out some really dried red looking stuff.

QUESTION

What is vertigo? See Answer
Comment from: Dani, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

The first time I had vertigo was 5 years ago. I thought I was dying. My family rushed me to the emergency room, and after multiple tests, I was diagnosed with an infection that caused the vertigo. My daughter was 5 at the time, and I used to spin her around all the time, but after my attack, I was no longer able to do that without spinning. Five years later, I got my 2nd attack. This time, I was concerned but not scared to death. Hopefully, I am not a repeat victim. Vertigo is awful.

Comment from: Scared, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: October 29

I am too scared to continue my exercises because of vertigo. If I lie down and get up even if I hold my head steady avoiding sudden moment I get a giddiness I have never had before. I feel like I'm on a roundabout and panic. It goes quite quickly but I am worried. I am on a diet at the moment.

Comment from: Jessie, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: October 07

I fell down the stairs and broke my ankle. Three months later I had a vertigo episode for the first time ever. Now I am having headaches along with slight dizziness. Wonder what could be wrong with me.

Comment from: ZARRLA, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: September 17

I was at work and I suddenly felt dizzy from vertigo. It became a little difficult to walk and the ground felt like it was shaking. And lots of times when I’m falling asleep the room starts spinning and it won’t stop.

Comment from: Louise, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 16

I get severe vertigo and it comes out of the blue, no warning. My symptoms are severe spinning, immediate severe sweating, nausea, vomiting, feeling like I am being pushed to the ground. Once on the ground, I cannot move and then I have severe headache for days. No one knows what is causing this. I do not have hearing loss but sometimes have ringing in my ears after.

Comment from: Melody, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 01

I was giving my dog a bath in the tub, and I spent at least 10 minutes leaning forward. Standing up towards the end of the bath I began feeling dizzy and I had just eaten before, so I thought it was food poisoning. I dried him off and had to lie down. I felt so drunk and don't drink. I threw up a few times. After lying down for a few hours I thought I'd try to get up. Well, I was still dizzy so slept all evening and felt better the next morning; at least no dizziness. But I have anxiety and I was freaked out by this.

Comment from: Elizabeth, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

I had vertigo 20 years ago which was related to undiagnosed hyperthyroidism (Graves’ disease). It resolved after I started medication to slow the thyroid down. I had a recent bout of the most severe vertigo of my life which seemed to be related to food poisoning. I threw up and then had dry heaves after the vertigo started. The vertigo continued into the next day. I still feel woozy but much better three days later. I used meclizine (Bonine) which makes you less sleepy than Dramamine.

Comment from: Majettet, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

When I laugh out loud or lying down and lift my head up, I feel lightheaded, like the room is spinning. Wonder if this is vertigo; it happens often.

Comment from: Silvervixen, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 26

When I woke this morning I sat up and was immediately flung back down on the bed, and this happened 3 times. I felt dizzy and sick, I woke my husband who wanted to call an ambulance, but I said I think this must be vertigo. I lay back down and managed to sleep for several hours, hoping that when I woke again I would be fine, but when I did the same thing happened. Wonder if I need to see a doctor. I haven’t suffered with this before.

Comment from: Dosha, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 18

Triggers for my vertigo are prolonged head movements - up/down or sideways (looking at bookshelves in the library). BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) was diagnosed. I was also told it could be vertiginous migraine. When I really have a bad bout I break out into a sweat, and feel very dizzy and nauseous. I am frightened to be outside when it comes on, my head feels so foggy. I use prochlorperazine and also Epley maneuver. Just tried to wallpaper and it has come on.

SLIDESHOW

Tinnitus: Why Are My Ears Ringing? See Slideshow
Comment from: Sunnyboy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 13

About 12 hours before the vertigo I felt stiff, and like a headache with no pain. Then I went to bed about 10 pm and I think I was sleeping, but when I opened my eyes the room was spinning out of control. I’m not sure how long it lasted, it seemed like a long time, I finally fell asleep and when I woke up my head feels cloudy, again a head ache with no pain, and I’m very tired. I get dizzy very easy.

Comment from: Michelz , 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: June 11

My vertigo started as I lay on my right side in the morning. The room started spinning and it was frightening. When I tried to sit I could not because I was thrown back on the ground. Tilting my head, changing position and other movements of this kind sparked those feelings for one month and then it abated a bit. However most of the time I am still feeling slightly dizzy or floating. Moreover these incidents were quickly followed by a feeling of lingering fatigue. I was running a lot and had to stop.

Comment from: Ares, 65-74 (Patient) Published: June 11

I feel dizzy all the time but I can't understand why my vertigo disappears when I'm driving. The moment I alight from the driver's seat after driving more than 50 km, that's the when I could not almost walk straight since my surroundings seem to be spinning.

Comment from: Ondiegirl, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

I have not been diagnosed with vertigo yet. I am experiencing a lot of the identical symptoms that you all have described. I have had the dizziness, slight headaches, nausea, fatigue, and the spinning effect when lying flat on my back. I really do feel like I have vertigo especially since it is connected with the eardrum and tubes in your middle ear because I have always had lots of problems since I was 4 or 5 years old until now, and I’m 54. I will post more as I see my doctor for medical advice. Thank you.

Comment from: Jeetu , 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: June 05

When I lie down on the bed I feel vertigo and whenever I take a left turn on the bed, then again I feel vertigo. If I get up from the left side I feel vertigo and dizziness most, and if I get up from the right side I feel a little less vertigo. Since 4 days I have been feeling the same and taking vertigo treatment from my doctor. I don’t know if I should go to an ENT, neurologist or orthopedic surgeon.

Comment from: RUTHIE, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 17

I felt a bit dizzy last night before I went to bed. I tried to get up this morning and cannot get up as the room is spinning really badly because of my vertigo.

Comment from: Sonia, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

My vertigo came out nowhere. One minute I was standing fine, the other minute the room was spinning. It is the worst feeling in the planet. At first I thought it was a panic attack or food poisoning. I was vomiting for more than 24 hours, and couldn't walk straight. Finally when I stopped feeling the spinning sensation I went to the emergency room. CT scan was normal, EKG was normal, and all blood tests were normal, okay, it was vertigo. Three days after I feel the same minus the spinning. I have dizziness and light headaches.

Comment from: Patricia, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 12

I have been suffering with ear pain, running from my ear down to the neck, with burning. I also feel unbalanced when walking, stumbling back with a step backwards, dizziness and a feeling of stupidity in my head because of the vertigo. I am feeling tired and wanting to sleep not long after waking in the morning, feeling the need to lie down, like I need to sleep.

Comment from: Pookie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 28

In my sleep it felt like a door slammed hard into my face and I awoke with my head spinning with vertigo.

Comment from: Roaddawg, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: October 18

Day 1 I had severe sudden room spinning. Three separate occasions on the first day. Day 2 I felt unwell on waking. Spent all day in bed resting and sleeping. At midnight I had an even more severe attack that caused me to fall. After several unsuccessful attempts to get up 911 was called and I was transported to hospital. After day 3 symptoms lessened daily but, not enough to manage my life on my own. After 3 months symptoms lessened enough that I was comfortable enough to drive, but, no riding motorcycle.

Comment from: Ju-Ju, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I’ve been dealing with this vertigo attack for 15 days. I was put on prednisone and antihistamine and also antibiotics. It is in my left ear, and I cannot hear out of my ear at all. The dizziness and everything that came with it is better but I’m still light headed. I just want to know if my hearing will come back in my left ear.

Comment from: Ccrider57, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 03

I was asleep, woke up, rolled over in my bed, and then had the feeling that the bed was rolling over onto the floor with me in it. I let out a scream and looked at the ceiling, and it was like I was still moving; the whole ceiling seemed to be spinning, and that was what I saw. I got out of bed, became nauseated and broke out into a cold clammy sweat, I had the feeling of wanting to vomit but I did not. Disoriented at this point I lay back down. I wonder, seems my symptoms of vertigo began after taking benazepril for blood pressure.

Comment from: Delicate, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 06

I got hit with vertigo about 4 or 5 years ago. I was in a car wreck in 2014 and went to a chiropractor for treatment, then to physical therapy due to frozen shoulder and lower back issues, prescribed by my orthopedic surgeon. During that time I got hit with a bad flu and was unable to go. Finally I did go and when I came home that night I experienced the room spinning so I got on my iPad thinking it might somehow help. It didn’t so I closed my eyes and went to sleep. The next morning it was gone. I actually felt great. I walked into the kitchen to get my dog her food bowl, went to my bedroom where I kept the food, and reached down to get the food, then wham, I flew back against my bedroom door. My daughter and her fiance at the time helped me up and to the bed. I couldn’t walk, the room felt like it was a constant merry go round but never did I experience stomach sickness from it. I ended up going to the emergency room, had an EKG and a CT scan on my brain, and all was normal. They did an IV and the doctor told me it was vertigo. I took two rounds of medication. The last 3 days I had to have help to and from the bathroom and anywhere else I needed to go. Since then I’ve had bouts of it; suddenly being pushed forward or swaying to the side, and recently it has returned with a vengeance. I wish they could get rid of this thing. It’s very serious and people shouldn’t take it lightly.

Comment from: Blossom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

When I have vertigo I feel lightheaded and giddy, my head spins, I throw up, and I sweat instantly.

Comment from: Beth Ann, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

I had an epidural steroid injection and when I got home I started having horrible headaches and very bad dizziness. I finally called the nurse after more than 1 1/2 hours of unending pain and vertigo. She told me to lie flat. I did and it was somewhat better. This morning was better but I still have slight headache that won't go away. She said to call her and I would have to go back and do another procedure called a blood pack. I didn't go because I'm afraid something else will go wrong.

Comment from: carol d., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I had vertigo about 7 years ago and had headache. I woke up yesterday morning spinning and got sick to my tummy. Today I feel spaced out.

Comment from: Veronica, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have dizziness after driving 45 miles to work in the morning. After I get out of the car, I feel like falling or fainting, my eyes get half closed and I see circles. My balance is off because of the vertigo.

Comment from: Junebyrd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My vertigo started on a Saturday morning. I got out of bed and everything started spinning. And every time I would lay back down I threw up, and this happened for two days. I lost 8 pounds of body fluids. I went to the doctor on Monday and said I had scar tissue from a 1999 surgery and also fluid buildup. I am taking prednisone for 5 days and also taking the motion sickness medication. It's better but I feel like I'm drunk.

Comment from: dizzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

My vertigo started about 2 years ago. I just woke up one morning, the room was spinning and I couldn't even sit up. Once I sat up I threw up. I have since been taking meclizine which helps but has not stopped it from happening. My doctor wants me to try physical therapy which I am starting next week. I am so tired of this. I think I am also going to go to an ear, nose and throat specialist to check out my ears.

Comment from: alibabba, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have dealt with vertigo for 16 years. Adjusted my life as much as possible, sleep on an inclined pillow to avoid lying flat as that is what triggers my vertigo. It is difficult to exercise or visit the doctor. They all want you to lie flat. I had migraine aura for years then developed migraines in recent years. I use saline solution in nose to try to keep sinus clear. I have not taken medication. After an episode I have sweating and nausea for hours. I have had neurological work up to confirm positional vertigo. Feeling is that mine might be related to stiff muscles in the neck. I have tried exercises to fix it but nothing works. Unpleasant but I guess I am stuck for life.

Comment from: burns, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

The vertigo started when I would reach down to pick something up. I would almost fall on to the floor. Then it would happen when I would roll over at night. The entire room would spin. I thought at first it was my blood sugar or something else. Doctor visit diagnosed vertigo, and was given medication. It still happens every once in a while.

Comment from: gayle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I don't know when vertigo started, I lost my hearing after a virus and with hearing aid I get by. I've had episodes of dizziness and they didn't last very long. They said it is middle ear fluid, gave medication and I took physical education to learn how to cope with dizziness. Then in November 2014 these episodes became more frequent to severe, I did not have nausea but I couldn't walk without help. I was given medication again, but it lasted for nearly 3 months, and in severity up and down. I stopped drinking coffee, tea, and wine, and changed diet but nothing seemed to make much difference. I was put on antibiotic and prednisone for six weeks, and yes, there was a marked improvement. Hearing improved, balance improved and I felt good, able to do things I had not been able to do for months. I've stopped prednisone a week ago and antibiotic 10 days ago. I was working in the yard bending over and bingo; I was spinning and balance was bad. I took one merazine and lay down, and am feeling better, but up now and looking for answers. MRI and scans show no reason for dizziness. May be middle ear and Epley don't work with this.

Comment from: sis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been dealing with dizziness for years and always thought it was due to a bad neck, but recently this has been going on in my sleep. It literally would wake me up, and really scared me so I decided to see a doctor. I found out I have vertigo, and now it’s time for recovery from this. I start therapy this week, can’t wait, I felt like I was losing my mind.

Comment from: Jenean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had vertigo foe the past five years. I fainted once and was unconscious for about twenty minutes. I take meclizine but that's not working any more. I have dizziness nausea, blurred vision, and ringing in the ear. I tend to be tired a lot and have trouble keeping my balance; can't even walk a straight line. I saw a doctor who gave me a medication normally used for anxiety but that did nothing to help.

Comment from: Bristol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I never even heard of vertigo until now. I was sitting outside and all of a sudden everything was spinning and rushing by me. I was unable to walk without falling onto the walls. I tried lying down in every position, and nothing helped. Then I started throwing up. I was rushed to the hospital to be sure it wasn't a stroke. They told me this was vertigo. I was in the hospital for 1 week. I went home and I'm still having problems 4 weeks later. If it helps any, I found several things that does help. My biggest problem is when I am driving. You never know when you are going to start with that floating woozy feeling, then following that is the spinning. Easy solution - just chew gum. The chewing creates movement in your ears and you are back to normal. I have really bad sinus problems. I noticed days my sinuses were infected, my vertigo would act up, on and off on that day. Another easy solution. I would mix 2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar with ‘the mother of vinegar’ and 2 tablespoons of raw local honey with warm water and drink it once in the morning and once at night. This helps with my sinus problem and the vertigo problem went away. If I do the 2 things above it keeps me from having the floating, and spinning problem. It doesn't cure it. But it helps you manage the problem so you can function through the day. I am hoping in time this mess goes away. I feel for anyone that has this. I hope what I found out helps you too. It really works for me.

Comment from: Joecigar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a 53 year old male. Last Sunday my buddy and I were on our way to Daytona for the last day of Bike Week. I had just gotten on my bike when the BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) struck. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road and off the bike before almost fainting. Instantly I was vomiting and sweating with this uncontrollable spin. Minutes later I was in the back of the ambulance en route to the hospital and diagnosed with a possible stroke. My EKGs and blood pressure were all whacked out. As they prepare me for surgery my results came back from the scans, everything was clear, less than 5 percent blockage in arteries and the brain was clear. But still my vertigo is disabling my life. I am ready to have a clear head without these motions and feel stable. I really am frustrated with the lack of understanding that people have with vertigo. It truly is disabling.

Comment from: Tim, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 05

I don't know if this has anything to do with vertigo. When I sleep on my right side I get really hot and sweaty. I'll roll over on my left side and I get super cold and freeze. Happens all night every night. I have no idea why.

Comment from: Deborah, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: December 05

My doctor offered little help for my vertigo. A gentleman I encountered told me to take small amounts of niacin with a lot of water. Niacin can cause awful flushing feeling otherwise. I bought 50 mg and cut into quarters. I took a piece 3 times and my head cleared and the wavery feeling subsided. It subsided but was not gone. As long as I took niacin I did not spin out. I learned vertigo comes and goes. I only take it now when I start to feel that wavery feeling coming. I am small. Others may need to take more. Also you may build up tolerance to the niacin and need to increase dose in small increments.

Comment from: Bino, 13-18 Male (Caregiver) Published: October 31

Wonder if it is vertigo when you are lying down and then all of a sudden you feel vibration. Your body floats in your head and your eyes won’t open.

Comment from: Jc, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: August 28

My vertigo was cause by impacted earwax and since then I've been having dizziness on and off. I've had my ear flushed at doctor's office. But it keeps come back.

Comment from: Mana, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: August 27

Every time I lie down on my left side to sleep I almost always have to throw up. I am just wondering what it could be, not saying it is vertigo.

Comment from: Tokyo, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: July 26

I was lying down watching a movie on my phone. I got off the bed, took a few steps, and everything blacked out. I couldn't stand and my whole body felt light. It felt like my body was shaking for a few seconds but it didn't and I was completely fine once I got up. I think it was a vertigo attack.

Comment from: pixie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 02

Back in September of 2017, I had a bad experience in a hospital; attacked and forced 302. The emotional abuse was horrible and that got my blood pressure to go as high as 200 when upset. Over time, I started getting tired extremely easily. My eyes get tired extremely easily and when they do, it travels all through my head and then my entire body. My balance is terrible and I can barely walk because of the vertigo. It's is hard to hit the right key. I have a lymph node sitting on the bone, for a few years. It has gotten smaller, but has become painful.

Comment from: Rachel , 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 19

I was sitting on the side of my bed, dropped something on the floor, bent over to pick it up and when I sat up the room started spinning and I fell forward a little. I lay back, closed my eye and slowly the symptoms left me.

Comment from: Lil Persico, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 08

I have been dealing with this vertigo for a year. I was out of work for 8 weeks. I have every symptom that goes with vertigo. I spent weeks with a specialist without success. I am totally disgusted. This is consuming my life. I am going to try therapy next. Do not know what to do. Now my son is dealing with it. He is trying therapy. I get so tired and have no energy when I have a flare up.

Comment from: SAM, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Every time we hit cold weather I feel dizzy (head spins with vertigo).

Comment from: fraz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been suffering from vertigo for the last few months. I feel dizzy mostly when I lie down and when I take a left turn I spin.

Comment from: marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

October of 2014 is when my world became a difficult place to navigate. I feel at times spacey or like I am on a moving boat. Some days are better than others. Today is hard. I do have a fair amount of arthritis in my neck and as a result my fair share of headaches. Recently I had an MRI and another test, can't think of the name of it, but they both were done at the same time. That was to check the brain, and arteries of head and neck. That came out normal. I was seen by ear, nose and throat doctor twice and he sent me to neurosurgeon (because of my neck). My neurological exam was pretty normal as well. I still do not have a diagnosis! We have some theories; I had a virus in 2014, and that possibly caused a nerve to be inflamed, the one leading from ear to the brain, causing the vertigo. Trying some prednisone for that possibility. Oh, and I get tension headaches and ringing in my ears (new). I am so frustrated.

Comment from: Anxious, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I woke up on my right side and the room was spinning. I turned to my left side hoping changing positions would help. It did not. I then turned to my back and it subsided somewhat but the moment I moved back to the right side in order to get upright, it began over again. I waited for several minutes for it to subside and made sure I could walk safely. I went to the bathroom and the movement made me start heaving. Nothing came up but I dry heaved every time I tried to move. I ended up later in the day going to the emergency room. I was told that I had inner ear stones. That minute calcium particles had dislodged and were floating around in the fluid and causing me to feel unbalanced. I went through several movement tests and it seemed that my vertigo had gone. I went home was fine for the rest of the night. The next day I was much better but the following day I was right back to the dizziness and am currently experiencing the same symptoms four days later. If my symptoms continue, I will contact my doctor.

Comment from: Amenhotep, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 37 year old male and I have had Vertigo since I was 12 years old. When my first episode happened I was rushed to the ER and proceeded to vomit all over the place. Needless to say after an MRI and CAT scan and had suspected that I had a brain tumor. Needless to say I didn’t. It seems that every 4-5 years I have a huge spell of Vertigo that knocks me out for a week. I am unable to move without throwing up. One day I looked in the mirror (or tried to) and my eye balls were going crazy, going right to left repeatedly. I can sympathize with all of you who are battling this. When a bout hits, it really hits. Although I have been unable to find a cure or find medication that works (willing to try anything), I have found some interesting ways to combat it: If it only happens when you lay down, try laying on your stomach (slowly) and face down. You’re going to have to sleep like that all night long so find a good body pillow. The one thing I have found is that the only cure is to let your body work its way through it. It usually takes 3-7 days depending. If anyone has found medication that works please share! Although I have been unable to find a cure or find medication that works (willing to try anything), I have found some interesting ways to combat it: If it only happens when you lay down, try laying on your stomach (slowly) and face down. Your going to have to sleep like that all night long so find a good body pillow. The one thing I have found is that the only cure I have found is to let your body work its way through it. It usually takes 3-7 days depending. If anyone has found medication that works please share!

Comment from: Mj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 06

Vertigo is often times relieved by using the Epley maneuver. I’m surprised no one has used it here or mentioned it. It works for me every time.

Comment from: CATHERINESS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My vertigo experience was horrendous. I had my ears cleaned and because of wax leaking out of me in buckets, and had trouble with the situation. I went to a neurologist and had 6 tests and now am on lamotrigine.

Comment from: caryl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went on a cruise, which I had done before with no problems. The sail was very smooth. Within 12 hours of boarding, I became very ill. The room was spinning for my entire trip and I did not enjoy even a single minute of fun. I’ve been home for a week now and I’m still feeling the same. I can’t drive or go anywhere safely. My doctor put me on meclizine, 25mg, but it has not helped.

Comment from: johnboy, 45-54 Male Published: August 15

I am a 52 year-old male. I live alone on a boat. Yesterday morning I got out of bed and thought the boat was rocking. It wasn't. It was me. My symptoms for the entire day were a spinning sensation, loss of balance, nausea with vomiting, and no appetite. It is now about 24 hours later and it seems like the symptoms have subsided some. Now I have ringing in the ears. I have been treating pain for a rotator cuff tear with Vicodin. I wonder if vertigo could be a side effect.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

One morning when I got out of bed, my room started spinning. It pulled me to the right and I felt like I was falling. I actually ran into the wall. This has continued for several days if I move too quickly or turn my head to the right. There is also ringing in my ears. I thought it would finally go away but I guess I'll have to make a doctor visit if it continues.

Comment from: oside7, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

My first feeling of vertigo was not the bad at first. I noticed myself little by little getting dizzy and getting the spins when I went to sleep and laid on my left side. When I was driving the car would sometimes feel like I was floating side to side. I would shake my head to clear it. My doctor gave me Meclizine 5 mg.

Comment from: amb40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 43 years old, and for the past year and a half my world has been spinning out of control. This is actually worse than giving birth. I don't know when its going to happen, if I turn my head without my body, I go straight into an attack. This is no normal attack. I go from happy-go-lucky to the other extreme: throwing up sweating, spinning out of control. I don't understand why, I can't even get my medication down before I start throwing up. Have no idea what to do about it. I know that usually my left side is affected mostly if I lay on my left side that's the worst. Not to sure if it is my blood pressure, my weight or if this is what I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I'm hoping it will just go away as fast as it has hit me.

Comment from: Sayep AB Malla, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I didn't know what Vertigo was until recently. I live and work in Nepal. I had the first bout in June 2011. It happened in the wee hours of morning. I felt the room spinning and at first I thought I was experiencing a massive earthquake. It was as if someone was spinning me with my both legs held together. I even felt (thought) my bed was rocking. After it subsided, I felt like vomiting and dizziness but nothing came out of my stomach. The second bout was in June 2012 and the third bout happened on the wee hours. It occurred on me once a year in June/July. I was diagonized with cerebral spondylosis and given Stemtil 5 mg 1 tab BD for 5 days (SOS) to control my dizziness. I hope I am getting the right treatment.

Comment from: Numo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I woke up in the middle of the night. I had to cling to the walls I was so dizzy. I was lightheaded and sick to my stomach. I had ringing in my ears. I went to emergency room that morning to make sure it was not a stroke. Lucky for me it was not. It was vertigo.

Comment from: vertigogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I did not read all of the blogs and I do see them some people do fall or have to hang on. I wonder if anyone has TMJ along with this. I do and I think it may all be linked together affecting vestibular nerve.

Comment from: vertigogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

So I have everything mentioned in these blogs except the vomiting. No one has mentioned that when their head spins that they lose total control of their body and they fall. This is my experience yet am told it is still vertigo.

Comment from: peterpan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My symptoms were spinning, dizziness, nausea, and difficulty walking.

Comment from: Bessie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

If I0 bend over the room starts spinning around and I get nauseated. If I am lying down and turn my head to the right the room spins around and my eyes feel like they are twitching and my stomach instantly gets nauseated.

Comment from: Laine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have been hit hard at times with vertigo. What I mean is that sometimes, I can’t do a thing. I live alone and I have always been active. I got up this morning and I could hardly move because of this vertigo. I wonder what can be done about it.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am a 57 year old woman. I was playing with my granddaughter in the backyard. Suddenly I felt dizzy. Then it quickly progressed to everything spinning and I was unbalanced. Four days later, here I am feeling like I'm tilting, spinning as subsided to "shifting." Meclizine did nothing at all but put me out. Dr. said it could last a couple of days but what I'm hearing from all of you is that it can last a couple of weeks!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am unable to walk. It is as though there is no feeling in my legs.

Comment from: Anti-Vertigo, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 29

My father (who is in his mid nineties) has just had his second attack of vertigo. The first attack happened about 1year ago and he ended up in the ER with a battery of tests. This second attack has lasted continuously for three weeks (dizziness, no balance). Vertigo is so debilitating he can hardly walk.

Comment from: Spencer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

Hello, I am 21 years old and I have been diagnosed with positional vertigo. I had vertigo once before about a year ago that went along with an shingles but it went away after a week or two. This time, about 8 weeks ago I was in a car when I started to get car sick. The next night the same thing happened. I thought it was just car sickness but throughout the week I would randomly get nauseated. It would happen more often as the sun would go down. After a week I was driving when the road started to disappear and start whirling around. I pulled over and started stumbling feeling "drunk" almost and went to the ER. They took blood tests and sent me away. Since then I've been to many doctors and believe that it was caused by a head injury. I was prescribed Meclizine to help with dizziness and nausea but it did not seem to work. I started to take ginger pills as well which seemed to not make a difference.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

First time it hit was in 2000. It was so bad I passed out. I was hospitalized, and I had a number of tests including spinal tap to see if it was MS. Vertigo comes back every couple of years, I take Antivert and stay in bed as I can't turn my head or walk without assistance. This time, while not that bad is taking longer to go away - meds are knocking me out. I feel like I'm drunk, have a heavy head and am tired.

Comment from: SCorbitt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have suffered with vertigo now for 5 years. The first time it happened I had just woke up from being asleep and thought I was still drowsy from waking up, but found out quick that wasn't the case. Thank goodness someone else was there to dial my husband’s cell number and get me a trash can. I have had MRIs, CT scans, hearing loss in both ears and been seen by neurologists, neurosurgeons, and ENTs. They have somewhat determined that it is vestibular and nervous system as well as the inner ear causing my vertigo but there isn't a medication or cure for the problem, go figure. So, for now, I live with this day in and day out and my episodes can be 1 day to 2 weeks long. It has been this way for 5 years now and I am not able to work anymore because of it.

Comment from: lvnanz, 55-64 Female Published: June 06

I am 64years old retired 2 weeks ago living in Vegas. I am now visiting family in Indiana. I have never have I had this problem, and it is very scary. Over the weekend, I was sitting on the sofa watching TV, when without warning everything in room was doing flip flops, even the sofa I was sitting on. This lasted about 5-10 seconds I had no sense of balance and tried to hold on to anything that would support me though I was sitting down. On Sunday I was sitting down watching my son's softball game when without warning the same thing happened. Everything around me flip flopping around. I could not sit straight as everything around me was moving and I was trying to hold on to the bleachers without toppling over. My doctor is in Las Vegas and I will be here for 2 more weeks. I wish there was a warning for this.

Comment from: annette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I feel unbalanced when walking with the room spinning occasionally. I had symptoms for 3 weeks and I’m not getting any better.

Comment from: rafeaves, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had vertigo for almost 50 years and have had some real bad times with it. This last time I had one was in the last year and my primary doctor sent me to an ear, nose and throw doctor. I really didn't think this would help any more than the other visits did. He surprised me when he did a procedure to help. He put a head piece over my head and it shook my head and I was real scared but it turned out it really did help. I was floored and it turns out if I go back every six months, he will do it again. I am scheduled to get another one next week. I sure hope it works as good as the first time. Just think all those years I have suffered and they really have given me hope and relief. I will let you know how this one goes.

Comment from: jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was first diagnosed with vertigo 25 years ago and have suffered off and on for most of the time. I find turning quickly brings it on and also turning over in bed. As a child I suffered with ear problems and my doctor seemed to think that this could have caused my problem. He gave me medications which apparently works on the center of the brain and helps to stabilize the spinning sensation, although it doesn’t always work. it seems to help when I only have a mild attack.

Comment from: Miki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I woke up with vertigo about 6 years ago after a long illness. I sleep sitting up about 30 degrees but even then, it feels like I'm spinning and I find myself opening my eyes expecting to be in a full spin. I am SO tired of this. I want my life back!

Comment from: Browneyes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have had vertigo for over 10 years following a severe ear infection. I could not walk and had to crawl on my hands and knees and ended up in hospital for 9 days. I take meds every day and have positional treatments when it gets too bad. I am so sick of feeling this way. My whole life revolves around when another episode will occur. I can only sleep on one side and if I turn over my world spins. I had X-ray on hip today and when I laid down my world spun. I felt like passing out. Thank you, everyone, for sharing. You are not alone or crazy!

Comment from: smgrantham, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Thanks for sharing about vertigo. I woke up two days ago and turned on my right side and the room started spinning really fast. It finally eased up enough for me to get up, but continued off and on usually when I moved my head or bent over. I had a virus about a week ago that caused congestion and sinus blockage and fluid in my ears so I'm assuming that's what's causing it. I've had some queasiness, but no vomiting. If it continues, I'll go in to see my doctor. Reading your comments has helped ease my anxiety about this being something really serious.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was diagnosed 5 days ago. For more than a year I have had the feeling of disorientation. I used to fall often and bump in to things and I could not explain why. I thought I was neurotic for feeling so tired for days on end. This sounds like it could be a permanent problem. I have to see the doctor again in a month’s time.

Comment from: luckysam1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Back in August of 2010, I was rushed to the hospital and the doctors told me it was either vertigo or I was having a mini-stroke. My speech was slurred and I was in and out of being awake or out like a light. Everything was spinning so bad I could not open my eyes and they did give me meds to finally reduce and stop the dizziness. However it took months for the headache to finally go away. All I could do was rest. The remaining effects from this was the left side of my face feels weird as it has a funny sensation to it. Doctors cannot figure that out at all.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 62 and have had vertigo for about 3 years. I woke up suddenly one night with the room spinning. At first if I lay on my right side, then on either side. I have bulging disks in my neck and the doc thought that may be causing it but no real answers. I found that if I put a memory foam pillow on top of a regular pillow and kept my head elevated I was ok. Sometimes when my head slips off the top pillow I wake up with the room spinning.

Comment from: little 10, 65-74 Male Published: April 01

It started two nights ago. When I put my head on the pillow I felt like the room was spinning. When I turn over, it does the same thing only it got better. When I get up, I have to sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes for the movement to stop.

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I'm going through it right now and I don't like it at all. I'm on medication right now and its making me feel like I'm spinning around all the time. I have been out of work for two days and had to leave work today. The sun light bothered me and everything on the road looked blurred. I just came back home. Even the TV looks funny to me. What to do when you don't have health care and you have to pay out of pocket.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 Female Published: March 22

Hi, I am a 53 year old woman, and had my first experience of Vertigo about 2 months ago. At first I thought that I was just sick and that it would go away. But it didn't. I was in a car accident on December 6, and was hit hard from behind. I got whiplash really bad, and my doctor feels this is the cause of my vertigo. It went away for a few weeks, but it is back. I am so afraid it will happen while I am driving. I feel like I am drunk. I walk into tables, and people.

Comment from: Troubles22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am awakened by the sensation of spinning upon sitting or lying down initially. I cannot get up from lying or sitting down too fast or I may find myself losing control and falling towards the side that is affected. Sometime it’s frightening as I can't move from the floor for a few moments. It is a helpless feeling. It seems that once I'm in motion for falling I cannot prevent it. I seem to have it affecting bilaterally and down the center too. At its worst its, it causes terrible nausea.

Comment from: thereshope, 35-44 Male Published: March 21

I had a vertigo experience about 7 months ago. It included the room spinning, my eyes rapidly moving and vomiting. Believe it or not it happened at the hospital when I was visiting a patient. I do not have dizziness, but a sudden attack that feels like I am losing my mind. I feel like I am about to lose control. It is very scary. In the posts that I have read here, no one has exhibited those feelings so I hope I don’t have something worse. My episodes last about 5-10 minutes and then go away. I just stop what I am doing and take a deep breath, and go to a place where it is quiet. If you are feeling the same way I hope this helps.

Comment from: tama, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I really didn’t understand what was happening to me. I was scared because when I woke up about 4:00am one day, my head was spinning causing nausea and vomiting. I’m still learning and I had another attack just recently.

Comment from: Janice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

For several months I have experienced a feeling of imbalance, leaning from side to side or forward, and dizziness. Most recently the symptoms have been more often and more pronounced.

Comment from: klflower, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had two episodes of Vertigo. The first one lasted for about 3 weeks. The room would spin when I changed my head position, particularly when I was getting out of bed. The second was much more severe, as the room spun violently for two days. When I tried to get up to get water, I passed out on a stone floor and really hurt myself. I have serious neck issues to this day. The good news is that I went to an outstanding doctor. He gave me a steroid shot in my arm and an antihistamine to take every night. It worked like a charm. Please don't suffer needlessly. There is nothing benign about vertigo. Find a doctor who knows what he's doing and don't waste your time with motion sickness pills.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW