Viewer Comments: Vertigo - Symptoms

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

...
Comment from: Blossom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

When I have vertigo I feel lightheaded and giddy, my head spins, I throw up, and I sweat instantly.

Comment from: Beth Ann, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

I had an epidural steroid injection and when I got home I started having horrible headaches and very bad dizziness. I finally called the nurse after more than 1 1/2 hours of unending pain and vertigo. She told me to lie flat. I did and it was somewhat better. This morning was better but I still have slight headache that won't go away. She said to call her and I would have to go back and do another procedure called a blood pack. I didn't go because I'm afraid something else will go wrong.

Comment from: carol d., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I had vertigo about 7 years ago and had headache. I woke up yesterday morning spinning and got sick to my tummy. Today I feel spaced out.

Comment from: Veronica, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have dizziness after driving 45 miles to work in the morning. After I get out of the car, I feel like falling or fainting, my eyes get half closed and I see circles. My balance is off because of the vertigo.

Comment from: Junebyrd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My vertigo started on a Saturday morning. I got out of bed and everything started spinning. And every time I would lay back down I threw up, and this happened for two days. I lost 8 pounds of body fluids. I went to the doctor on Monday and said I had scar tissue from a 1999 surgery and also fluid buildup. I am taking prednisone for 5 days and also taking the motion sickness medication. It's better but I feel like I'm drunk.

Comment from: dizzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

My vertigo started about 2 years ago. I just woke up one morning, the room was spinning and I couldn't even sit up. Once I sat up I threw up. I have since been taking meclizine which helps but has not stopped it from happening. My doctor wants me to try physical therapy which I am starting next week. I am so tired of this. I think I am also going to go to an ear, nose and throat specialist to check out my ears.

Comment from: alibabba, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have dealt with vertigo for 16 years. Adjusted my life as much as possible, sleep on an inclined pillow to avoid lying flat as that is what triggers my vertigo. It is difficult to exercise or visit the doctor. They all want you to lie flat. I had migraine aura for years then developed migraines in recent years. I use saline solution in nose to try to keep sinus clear. I have not taken medication. After an episode I have sweating and nausea for hours. I have had neurological work up to confirm positional vertigo. Feeling is that mine might be related to stiff muscles in the neck. I have tried exercises to fix it but nothing works. Unpleasant but I guess I am stuck for life.

Comment from: burns, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

The vertigo started when I would reach down to pick something up. I would almost fall on to the floor. Then it would happen when I would roll over at night. The entire room would spin. I thought at first it was my blood sugar or something else. Doctor visit diagnosed vertigo, and was given medication. It still happens every once in a while.

Comment from: gayle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I don't know when vertigo started, I lost my hearing after a virus and with hearing aid I get by. I've had episodes of dizziness and they didn't last very long. They said it is middle ear fluid, gave medication and I took physical education to learn how to cope with dizziness. Then in November 2014 these episodes became more frequent to severe, I did not have nausea but I couldn't walk without help. I was given medication again, but it lasted for nearly 3 months, and in severity up and down. I stopped drinking coffee, tea, and wine, and changed diet but nothing seemed to make much difference. I was put on antibiotic and prednisone for six weeks, and yes, there was a marked improvement. Hearing improved, balance improved and I felt good, able to do things I had not been able to do for months. I've stopped prednisone a week ago and antibiotic 10 days ago. I was working in the yard bending over and bingo; I was spinning and balance was bad. I took one merazine and lay down, and am feeling better, but up now and looking for answers. MRI and scans show no reason for dizziness. May be middle ear and Epley don't work with this.

...

Must Read Articles Related to Vertigo

Benign Paroxysmal Positional Vertigo
Benign Positional Vertigo Benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) is a common cause of learn more >>
Fainting
Fainting Fainting or syncope, is a temporary loss of consciousness. Causes of fainting include:
  • vasovagal,
  • situational,
  • postural,
  • ...
learn more >>
Hearing Loss
Hearing Loss Hearing loss can have a variety of causes both physical and neurological. Infection can also affect learn more >>

The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about Vertigo:

Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?