Vertigo

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Blossom, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 19

When I have vertigo I feel lightheaded and giddy, my head spins, I throw up, and I sweat instantly.

Comment from: Beth Ann, Female (Caregiver) Published: April 10

I had an epidural steroid injection and when I got home I started having horrible headaches and very bad dizziness. I finally called the nurse after more than 1 1/2 hours of unending pain and vertigo. She told me to lie flat. I did and it was somewhat better. This morning was better but I still have slight headache that won't go away. She said to call her and I would have to go back and do another procedure called a blood pack. I didn't go because I'm afraid something else will go wrong.

Comment from: carol d., 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I had vertigo about 7 years ago and had headache. I woke up yesterday morning spinning and got sick to my tummy. Today I feel spaced out.

Comment from: Veronica, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 14

I have dizziness after driving 45 miles to work in the morning. After I get out of the car, I feel like falling or fainting, my eyes get half closed and I see circles. My balance is off because of the vertigo.

Comment from: Junebyrd, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 06

My vertigo started on a Saturday morning. I got out of bed and everything started spinning. And every time I would lay back down I threw up, and this happened for two days. I lost 8 pounds of body fluids. I went to the doctor on Monday and said I had scar tissue from a 1999 surgery and also fluid buildup. I am taking prednisone for 5 days and also taking the motion sickness medication. It's better but I feel like I'm drunk.

Comment from: SAM, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: October 17

Every time we hit cold weather I feel dizzy (head spins with vertigo).

Comment from: dizzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 15

My vertigo started about 2 years ago. I just woke up one morning, the room was spinning and I couldn't even sit up. Once I sat up I threw up. I have since been taking meclizine which helps but has not stopped it from happening. My doctor wants me to try physical therapy which I am starting next week. I am so tired of this. I think I am also going to go to an ear, nose and throat specialist to check out my ears.

Comment from: alibabba, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: February 16

I have dealt with vertigo for 16 years. Adjusted my life as much as possible, sleep on an inclined pillow to avoid lying flat as that is what triggers my vertigo. It is difficult to exercise or visit the doctor. They all want you to lie flat. I had migraine aura for years then developed migraines in recent years. I use saline solution in nose to try to keep sinus clear. I have not taken medication. After an episode I have sweating and nausea for hours. I have had neurological work up to confirm positional vertigo. Feeling is that mine might be related to stiff muscles in the neck. I have tried exercises to fix it but nothing works. Unpleasant but I guess I am stuck for life.

Comment from: burns, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: February 12

The vertigo started when I would reach down to pick something up. I would almost fall on to the floor. Then it would happen when I would roll over at night. The entire room would spin. I thought at first it was my blood sugar or something else. Doctor visit diagnosed vertigo, and was given medication. It still happens every once in a while.

Comment from: gayle, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: June 08

I don't know when vertigo started, I lost my hearing after a virus and with hearing aid I get by. I've had episodes of dizziness and they didn't last very long. They said it is middle ear fluid, gave medication and I took physical education to learn how to cope with dizziness. Then in November 2014 these episodes became more frequent to severe, I did not have nausea but I couldn't walk without help. I was given medication again, but it lasted for nearly 3 months, and in severity up and down. I stopped drinking coffee, tea, and wine, and changed diet but nothing seemed to make much difference. I was put on antibiotic and prednisone for six weeks, and yes, there was a marked improvement. Hearing improved, balance improved and I felt good, able to do things I had not been able to do for months. I've stopped prednisone a week ago and antibiotic 10 days ago. I was working in the yard bending over and bingo; I was spinning and balance was bad. I took one merazine and lay down, and am feeling better, but up now and looking for answers. MRI and scans show no reason for dizziness. May be middle ear and Epley don't work with this.

Comment from: sis, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 21

I have been dealing with dizziness for years and always thought it was due to a bad neck, but recently this has been going on in my sleep. It literally would wake me up, and really scared me so I decided to see a doctor. I found out I have vertigo, and now it's time for recovery from this. I start therapy this week, can't wait, I felt like I was losing my mind.

Comment from: Jenean, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I have had vertigo foe the past five years. I fainted once and was unconscious for about twenty minutes. I take meclizine but that's not working any more. I have dizziness nausea, blurred vision, and ringing in the ear. I tend to be tired a lot and have trouble keeping my balance; can't even walk a straight line. I saw a doctor who gave me a medication normally used for anxiety but that did nothing to help.

Comment from: Bristol, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 07

I never even heard of vertigo until now. I was sitting outside and all of a sudden everything was spinning and rushing by me. I was unable to walk without falling onto the walls. I tried lying down in every position, and nothing helped. Then I started throwing up. I was rushed to the hospital to be sure it wasn't a stroke. They told me this was vertigo. I was in the hospital for 1 week. I went home and I'm still having problems 4 weeks later. If it helps any, I found several things that does help. My biggest problem is when I am driving. You never know when you are going to start with that floating woozy feeling, then following that is the spinning. Easy solution - just chew gum. The chewing creates movement in your ears and you are back to normal. I have really bad sinus problems. I noticed days my sinuses were infected, my vertigo would act up, on and off on that day. Another easy solution. I would mix 2 tablespoons of Apple cider vinegar with 'the mother of vinegar' and 2 tablespoons of raw local honey with warm water and drink it once in the morning and once at night. This helps with my sinus problem and the vertigo problem went away. If I do the 2 things above it keeps me from having the floating, and spinning problem. It doesn't cure it. But it helps you manage the problem so you can function through the day. I am hoping in time this mess goes away. I feel for anyone that has this. I hope what I found out helps you too. It really works for me.

Comment from: Joecigar, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 24

I am a 53 year old male. Last Sunday my buddy and I were on our way to Daytona for the last day of Bike Week. I had just gotten on my bike when the BPPV (benign paroxysmal positional vertigo) struck. Luckily I was able to get to the side of the road and off the bike before almost fainting. Instantly I was vomiting and sweating with this uncontrollable spin. Minutes later I was in the back of the ambulance en route to the hospital and diagnosed with a possible stroke. My EKGs and blood pressure were all whacked out. As they prepare me for surgery my results came back from the scans, everything was clear, less than 5 percent blockage in arteries and the brain was clear. But still my vertigo is disabling my life. I am ready to have a clear head without these motions and feel stable. I really am frustrated with the lack of understanding that people have with vertigo. It truly is disabling.

Comment from: fraz, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 31

I have been suffering from vertigo for the last few months. I feel dizzy mostly when I lie down and when I take a left turn I spin.

Comment from: marie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 20

October of 2014 is when my world became a difficult place to navigate. I feel at times spacey or like I am on a moving boat. Some days are better than others. Today is hard. I do have a fair amount of arthritis in my neck and as a result my fair share of headaches. Recently I had an MRI and another test, can't think of the name of it, but they both were done at the same time. That was to check the brain, and arteries of head and neck. That came out normal. I was seen by ear, nose and throat doctor twice and he sent me to neurosurgeon (because of my neck). My neurological exam was pretty normal as well. I still do not have a diagnosis! We have some theories; I had a virus in 2014, and that possibly caused a nerve to be inflamed, the one leading from ear to the brain, causing the vertigo. Trying some prednisone for that possibility. Oh, and I get tension headaches and ringing in my ears (new). I am so frustrated.

Comment from: Anxious, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

I woke up on my right side and the room was spinning. I turned to my left side hoping changing positions would help. It did not. I then turned to my back and it subsided somewhat but the moment I moved back to the right side in order to get upright, it began over again. I waited for several minutes for it to subside and made sure I could walk safely. I went to the bathroom and the movement made me start heaving. Nothing came up but I dry heaved every time I tried to move. I ended up later in the day going to the emergency room. I was told that I had inner ear stones. That minute calcium particles had dislodged and were floating around in the fluid and causing me to feel unbalanced. I went through several movement tests and it seemed that my vertigo had gone. I went home was fine for the rest of the night. The next day I was much better but the following day I was right back to the dizziness and am currently experiencing the same symptoms four days later. If my symptoms continue, I will contact my doctor.

Comment from: Amenhotep, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: January 12

I am a 37 year old male and I have had Vertigo since I was 12 years old. When my first episode happened I was rushed to the ER and proceeded to vomit all over the place. Needless to say after an MRI and CAT scan and had suspected that I had a brain tumor. Needless to say I didn't. It seems that every 4-5 years I have a huge spell of Vertigo that knocks me out for a week. I am unable to move without throwing up. One day I looked in the mirror (or tried to) and my eye balls were going crazy, going right to left repeatedly. I can sympathize with all of you who are battling this. When a bout hits, it really hits. Although I have been unable to find a cure or find medication that works (willing to try anything), I have found some interesting ways to combat it: If it only happens when you lay down, try laying on your stomach (slowly) and face down. You're going to have to sleep like that all night long so find a good body pillow. The one thing I have found is that the only cure is to let your body work its way through it. It usually takes 3-7 days depending. If anyone has found medication that works please share! Although I have been unable to find a cure or find medication that works (willing to try anything), I have found some interesting ways to combat it: If it only happens when you lay down, try laying on your stomach (slowly) and face down. Your going to have to sleep like that all night long so find a good body pillow. The one thing I have found is that the only cure I have found is to let your body work its way through it. It usually takes 3-7 days depending. If anyone has found medication that works please share!

Comment from: CATHERINESS, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 03

My vertigo experience was horrendous. I had my ears cleaned and because of wax leaking out of me in buckets, and had trouble with the situation. I went to a neurologist and had 6 tests and now am on lamotrigine.

Comment from: caryl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: October 06

I went on a cruise, which I had done before with no problems. The sail was very smooth. Within 12 hours of boarding, I became very ill. The room was spinning for my entire trip and I did not enjoy even a single minute of fun. I've been home for a week now and I'm still feeling the same. I can't drive or go anywhere safely. My doctor put me on meclizine, 25mg, but it has not helped.

Comment from: johnboy, 45-54 Male Published: August 15

I am a 52 year-old male. I live alone on a boat. Yesterday morning I got out of bed and thought the boat was rocking. It wasn't. It was me. My symptoms for the entire day were a spinning sensation, loss of balance, nausea with vomiting, and no appetite. It is now about 24 hours later and it seems like the symptoms have subsided some. Now I have ringing in the ears. I have been treating pain for a rotator cuff tear with Vicodin. I wonder if vertigo could be a side effect.

Comment from: Susan, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: August 12

One morning when I got out of bed, my room started spinning. It pulled me to the right and I felt like I was falling. I actually ran into the wall. This has continued for several days if I move too quickly or turn my head to the right. There is also ringing in my ears. I thought it would finally go away but I guess I'll have to make a doctor visit if it continues.

Comment from: oside7, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 18

My first feeling of vertigo was not the bad at first. I noticed myself little by little getting dizzy and getting the spins when I went to sleep and laid on my left side. When I was driving the car would sometimes feel like I was floating side to side. I would shake my head to clear it. My doctor gave me Meclizine 5 mg.

Comment from: amb40, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 12

I am 43 years old, and for the past year and a half my world has been spinning out of control. This is actually worse than giving birth. I don't know when its going to happen, if I turn my head without my body, I go straight into an attack. This is no normal attack. I go from happy-go-lucky to the other extreme: throwing up sweating, spinning out of control. I don't understand why, I can't even get my medication down before I start throwing up. Have no idea what to do about it. I know that usually my left side is affected mostly if I lay on my left side that's the worst. Not to sure if it is my blood pressure, my weight or if this is what I will have to live with for the rest of my life. I'm hoping it will just go away as fast as it has hit me.

Comment from: Sayep AB Malla, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: July 12

I didn't know what Vertigo was until recently. I live and work in Nepal. I had the first bout in June 2011. It happened in the wee hours of morning. I felt the room spinning and at first I thought I was experiencing a massive earthquake. It was as if someone was spinning me with my both legs held together. I even felt (thought) my bed was rocking. After it subsided, I felt like vomiting and dizziness but nothing came out of my stomach. The second bout was in June 2012 and the third bout happened on the wee hours. It occurred on me once a year in June/July. I was diagonized with cerebral spondylosis and given Stemtil 5 mg 1 tab BD for 5 days (SOS) to control my dizziness. I hope I am getting the right treatment.

Comment from: Numo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 20

I woke up in the middle of the night. I had to cling to the walls I was so dizzy. I was lightheaded and sick to my stomach. I had ringing in my ears. I went to emergency room that morning to make sure it was not a stroke. Lucky for me it was not. It was vertigo.

Comment from: vertigogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

I did not read all of the blogs and I do see them some people do fall or have to hang on. I wonder if anyone has TMJ along with this. I do and I think it may all be linked together affecting vestibular nerve.

Comment from: vertigogirl, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 23

So I have everything mentioned in these blogs except the vomiting. No one has mentioned that when their head spins that they lose total control of their body and they fall. This is my experience yet am told it is still vertigo.

Comment from: peterpan, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 18

My symptoms were spinning, dizziness, nausea, and difficulty walking.

Comment from: Bessie, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 01

If I0 bend over the room starts spinning around and I get nauseated. If I am lying down and turn my head to the right the room spins around and my eyes feel like they are twitching and my stomach instantly gets nauseated.

Comment from: Laine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 11

I have been hit hard at times with vertigo. What I mean is that sometimes, I can't do a thing. I live alone and I have always been active. I got up this morning and I could hardly move because of this vertigo. I wonder what can be done about it.

Comment from: Rose, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 08

I am a 57 year old woman. I was playing with my granddaughter in the backyard. Suddenly I felt dizzy. Then it quickly progressed to everything spinning and I was unbalanced. Four days later, here I am feeling like I'm tilting, spinning as subsided to "shifting." Meclizine did nothing at all but put me out. Dr. said it could last a couple of days but what I'm hearing from all of you is that it can last a couple of weeks!

Comment from: 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: June 30

I am unable to walk. It is as though there is no feeling in my legs.

Comment from: Anti-Vertigo, 75 or over Male (Caregiver) Published: June 29

My father (who is in his mid nineties) has just had his second attack of vertigo. The first attack happened about 1year ago and he ended up in the ER with a battery of tests. This second attack has lasted continuously for three weeks (dizziness, no balance). Vertigo is so debilitating he can hardly walk.

Comment from: Spencer, 19-24 Male (Patient) Published: June 28

Hello, I am 21 years old and I have been diagnosed with positional vertigo. I had vertigo once before about a year ago that went along with an shingles but it went away after a week or two. This time, about 8 weeks ago I was in a car when I started to get car sick. The next night the same thing happened. I thought it was just car sickness but throughout the week I would randomly get nauseated. It would happen more often as the sun would go down. After a week I was driving when the road started to disappear and start whirling around. I pulled over and started stumbling feeling "drunk" almost and went to the ER. They took blood tests and sent me away. Since then I've been to many doctors and believe that it was caused by a head injury. I was prescribed Meclizine to help with dizziness and nausea but it did not seem to work. I started to take ginger pills as well which seemed to not make a difference.

Comment from: 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

First time it hit was in 2000. It was so bad I passed out. I was hospitalized, and I had a number of tests including spinal tap to see if it was MS. Vertigo comes back every couple of years, I take Antivert and stay in bed as I can't turn my head or walk without assistance. This time, while not that bad is taking longer to go away - meds are knocking me out. I feel like I'm drunk, have a heavy head and am tired.

Comment from: SCorbitt, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: June 14

I have suffered with vertigo now for 5 years. The first time it happened I had just woke up from being asleep and thought I was still drowsy from waking up, but found out quick that wasn't the case. Thank goodness someone else was there to dial my husband's cell number and get me a trash can. I have had MRIs, CT scans, hearing loss in both ears and been seen by neurologists, neurosurgeons, and ENTs. They have somewhat determined that it is vestibular and nervous system as well as the inner ear causing my vertigo but there isn't a medication or cure for the problem, go figure. So, for now, I live with this day in and day out and my episodes can be 1 day to 2 weeks long. It has been this way for 5 years now and I am not able to work anymore because of it.

Comment from: lvnanz, 55-64 Female Published: June 06

I am 64years old retired 2 weeks ago living in Vegas. I am now visiting family in Indiana. I have never have I had this problem, and it is very scary. Over the weekend, I was sitting on the sofa watching TV, when without warning everything in room was doing flip flops, even the sofa I was sitting on. This lasted about 5-10 seconds I had no sense of balance and tried to hold on to anything that would support me though I was sitting down. On Sunday I was sitting down watching my son's softball game when without warning the same thing happened. Everything around me flip flopping around. I could not sit straight as everything around me was moving and I was trying to hold on to the bleachers without toppling over. My doctor is in Las Vegas and I will be here for 2 more weeks. I wish there was a warning for this.

Comment from: annette, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 25

I feel unbalanced when walking with the room spinning occasionally. I had symptoms for 3 weeks and I'm not getting any better.

Comment from: rafeaves, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: May 19

I have had vertigo for almost 50 years and have had some real bad times with it. This last time I had one was in the last year and my primary doctor sent me to an ear, nose and throw doctor. I really didn't think this would help any more than the other visits did. He surprised me when he did a procedure to help. He put a head piece over my head and it shook my head and I was real scared but it turned out it really did help. I was floored and it turns out if I go back every six months, he will do it again. I am scheduled to get another one next week. I sure hope it works as good as the first time. Just think all those years I have suffered and they really have given me hope and relief. I will let you know how this one goes.

Comment from: jenny, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: May 13

I was first diagnosed with vertigo 25 years ago and have suffered off and on for most of the time. I find turning quickly brings it on and also turning over in bed. As a child I suffered with ear problems and my doctor seemed to think that this could have caused my problem. He gave me medications which apparently works on the center of the brain and helps to stabilize the spinning sensation, although it doesn't always work. it seems to help when I only have a mild attack.

Comment from: Miki, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: May 09

I woke up with vertigo about 6 years ago after a long illness. I sleep sitting up about 30 degrees but even then, it feels like I'm spinning and I find myself opening my eyes expecting to be in a full spin. I am SO tired of this. I want my life back!

Comment from: Browneyes, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 26

I have had vertigo for over 10 years following a severe ear infection. I could not walk and had to crawl on my hands and knees and ended up in hospital for 9 days. I take meds every day and have positional treatments when it gets too bad. I am so sick of feeling this way. My whole life revolves around when another episode will occur. I can only sleep on one side and if I turn over my world spins. I had X-ray on hip today and when I laid down my world spun. I felt like passing out. Thank you, everyone, for sharing. You are not alone or crazy!

Comment from: smgrantham, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

Thanks for sharing about vertigo. I woke up two days ago and turned on my right side and the room started spinning really fast. It finally eased up enough for me to get up, but continued off and on usually when I moved my head or bent over. I had a virus about a week ago that caused congestion and sinus blockage and fluid in my ears so I'm assuming that's what's causing it. I've had some queasiness, but no vomiting. If it continues, I'll go in to see my doctor. Reading your comments has helped ease my anxiety about this being something really serious.

Comment from: Dee, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 11

I was diagnosed 5 days ago. For more than a year I have had the feeling of disorientation. I used to fall often and bump in to things and I could not explain why. I thought I was neurotic for feeling so tired for days on end. This sounds like it could be a permanent problem. I have to see the doctor again in a month's time.

Comment from: luckysam1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 04

Back in August of 2010, I was rushed to the hospital and the doctors told me it was either vertigo or I was having a mini-stroke. My speech was slurred and I was in and out of being awake or out like a light. Everything was spinning so bad I could not open my eyes and they did give me meds to finally reduce and stop the dizziness. However it took months for the headache to finally go away. All I could do was rest. The remaining effects from this was the left side of my face feels weird as it has a funny sensation to it. Doctors cannot figure that out at all.

Comment from: 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: April 01

I am 62 and have had vertigo for about 3 years. I woke up suddenly one night with the room spinning. At first if I lay on my right side, then on either side. I have bulging disks in my neck and the doc thought that may be causing it but no real answers. I found that if I put a memory foam pillow on top of a regular pillow and kept my head elevated I was ok. Sometimes when my head slips off the top pillow I wake up with the room spinning.

Comment from: little 10, 65-74 Male Published: April 01

It started two nights ago. When I put my head on the pillow I felt like the room was spinning. When I turn over, it does the same thing only it got better. When I get up, I have to sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes for the movement to stop.

Comment from: [email protected], 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 23

I'm going through it right now and I don't like it at all. I'm on medication right now and its making me feel like I'm spinning around all the time. I have been out of work for two days and had to leave work today. The sun light bothered me and everything on the road looked blurred. I just came back home. Even the TV looks funny to me. What to do when you don't have health care and you have to pay out of pocket.

Comment from: [email protected], 45-54 Female Published: March 22

Hi, I am a 53 year old woman, and had my first experience of Vertigo about 2 months ago. At first I thought that I was just sick and that it would go away. But it didn't. I was in a car accident on December 6, and was hit hard from behind. I got whiplash really bad, and my doctor feels this is the cause of my vertigo. It went away for a few weeks, but it is back. I am so afraid it will happen while I am driving. I feel like I am drunk. I walk into tables, and people.

Comment from: Troubles22, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I am awakened by the sensation of spinning upon sitting or lying down initially. I cannot get up from lying or sitting down too fast or I may find myself losing control and falling towards the side that is affected. Sometime it's frightening as I can't move from the floor for a few moments. It is a helpless feeling. It seems that once I'm in motion for falling I cannot prevent it. I seem to have it affecting bilaterally and down the center too. At its worst its, it causes terrible nausea.

Comment from: thereshope, 35-44 Male Published: March 21

I had a vertigo experience about 7 months ago. It included the room spinning, my eyes rapidly moving and vomiting. Believe it or not it happened at the hospital when I was visiting a patient. I do not have dizziness, but a sudden attack that feels like I am losing my mind. I feel like I am about to lose control. It is very scary. In the posts that I have read here, no one has exhibited those feelings so I hope I don't have something worse. My episodes last about 5-10 minutes and then go away. I just stop what I am doing and take a deep breath, and go to a place where it is quiet. If you are feeling the same way I hope this helps.

Comment from: tama, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 16

I really didn't understand what was happening to me. I was scared because when I woke up about 4:00am one day, my head was spinning causing nausea and vomiting. I'm still learning and I had another attack just recently.

Comment from: Janice, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 11

For several months I have experienced a feeling of imbalance, leaning from side to side or forward, and dizziness. Most recently the symptoms have been more often and more pronounced.

Comment from: klflower, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

I have had two episodes of Vertigo. The first one lasted for about 3 weeks. The room would spin when I changed my head position, particularly when I was getting out of bed. The second was much more severe, as the room spun violently for two days. When I tried to get up to get water, I passed out on a stone floor and really hurt myself. I have serious neck issues to this day. The good news is that I went to an outstanding doctor. He gave me a steroid shot in my arm and an antihistamine to take every night. It worked like a charm. Please don't suffer needlessly. There is nothing benign about vertigo. Find a doctor who knows what he's doing and don't waste your time with motion sickness pills.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: March 07

Mine occured one afternoon sitting down on my office table, i suddenly started feeling dizzy, i felt it was because the room was hot, then i moved to a cooler office and it got worse , the room starting spinning aroung me i i started throwing up. i went to the hospital and all these continued.i was told i had vertigoand a CT scan and ear tested was recommeded and nothing was found in both. i got better the next day and i was discharged from the hospital.i haven't had any episode of it since then, but i recently had a lumber puncture done and i started having tingling sensation all over my body. don't know if this is related to vertigo.

Comment from: Jut, 75 or over Male (Patient) Published: February 28

Dramamine seems to help. I feel like I am going to pass out. It happens after sleeping. I hope this is a help.

Comment from: KayLynn, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 24

My vertigo first arrived about 15 years ago. Early on there was a time I was sitting on my sofa having a conversation (everything was normal) then all of a sudden it felt like someone flipped the sofa backwards. I sat completely forward in a crouched position to compensate. My "spells" consist of everything moving up and down briskly in waves. I cannot move at all when this happens. In general I have it all the time -- as if I'm watching a bad home movie and the camera man is walking around making the camera jump -- that's what it's like all the time. I'm kind of used to it, to be normal again would be like a dream.

Comment from: Pansi53, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: February 22

It started with dizziness on a few occasions, from what I thought was, understandably, extreme tiredness at the end of the workday, but by next day I would be back to normal. The dizziness continued and when at 3am I had another bout of vomiting, I checked into the ER. CT scans, blood work, blood pressure and sugar readings all returned normal and I was diagnosed with vertigo. After 2 nights in the hospital and no further vomiting, I was sent home with medication. I am now in the fourth day of the episode with no ease to the dizziness, so much that I am unable to go to work. For day-to-day functions, I just avoid the temptation to move very slowly but try to walk more deliberately and avoid glancing around, make turns in little steps instead of turning the head or eyes suddenly, in order to cope. Worthy of note, I have had 2 earlier episodes - one in my early 30's, another in my mid 40's, both much milder and which did not interrupt my ability to go to work. Now, it is back with a vengeance!

Comment from: bingo, 55-64 Female (Caregiver) Published: February 10

I thought my vertigo went away, but now I get dizzy when I bend over or when I put my head down.

Comment from: odiegirl40, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 10

I have had vertigo for the last 15 years. It seems to affect me mostly in the winter and spring. I have learned that if I want a decent night's sleep that I have to sleep upward with a lot of pillows or if it's real bad, in the recliner. Medicine hasn't helped the problem, just a couple of the symptoms, mostly nausea. There are also exercises you can do that help to get the crystals back where they belong, but this takes time. I am learning to deal with it since there isn't a quick fix yet. Good luck to all with it.

Comment from: just me 60, 55-64 Female Published: February 07

I had dizziness upon waking up in the morning, with the feeling of being drunk. Then about 15 minutes later my body lost it. I was just trying to gather myself together to figure out what just happened. I think anxiety hit me for a bit and really got scared. Then I went to the doctor and took it easy for the next couple of days with only a few episodes of feeling "drunk."

Comment from: Kath, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 26

HI, mine started almost two years ago, when after a catastrophic fall left me with a shattered neck, lower back and multiple right skull fractures. I have lost all sense of smell and taste, and have no sensation of hot or cold on my left side. The vertigo started two days after the 'halo' was removed. I was just lying back in bed, staring at the ceiling when it felt like the bed dropped out from underneath me and I was falling fast. As I tried to get up the room would spin. This continued at night when I would lay down to sleep. I would have to shut my eyes really tight. It would last maybe a minute each time. This lasted a couple of months then dissipated. It has reappears every couple of months again at bed time, until last weekend when I felt the bed falling again and the room began to spin. It lasted all weekend making me queasy. It has not left it and today at work I leaned sideways to retrieve something and almost fell out of my chair when the room took a dive. I am hoping that this is a faze and related to my accident, and not getting worse.

Comment from: Lou, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

When I lie down, I feel like the room is starting to spin. When I turn over, it does the same thing. When I get up, I have to sit on the edge of the bed for a few minutes, for the movement to stop. I am fine during the day. No one has yet to tell me what is wrong.

Comment from: Deb S, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had a very frightening episode whilst I was a passenger in my husband's car. It felt like my eyes and body were swinging violently from side to side very fast. I felt sick and as if I was going to die. It lasted for at least 5 minutes. I then felt as if I was going to fall over every time I walked. I took the medication prescribed by my GP and at the end of the first pack, was fine. I still have the odd dizzy episode, but not enough to be medicated for.

Comment from: 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I occasionally have vertigo but have never had to take medication for it. My doctor sent me to a dizziness clinic at a physiotherapy clinic. It is a relatively new procedure and IT WORKS. There are NO DRUGS involved. They put funky looking goggles on you, the goggles have tiny cameras on them and are connected to a TV monitor which determines the severity by looking at the movement of your eyes and then they put you in different positions to put your displaced crystals back in their right place.

Comment from: mslace, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had my first experience with vertigo on January 18th. I lay down on my bed on my stomach and the room and my bed appeared to spin around very fast. I thought to myself just lay here until it stop, but everything was spinning so fast I could not stand up if I tried. I went to the emergency because I started vomiting. I do not have an ear infection or any problems with my ears. The doctor gave me a two-day excuse from work, but I continued to feel like I would going to vomit and I felt lightheaded. My biggest fear is that this could happen while I am driving.

Comment from: Alfie, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

My vertigo started with sudden single sided deafness (SSD) for which I have had two surgeries including an implant. I don't have the spinning and dizziness causing vomiting, but I do have constant static and my balance is impaired to the point of affecting my life style including making my passion for golf and hiking almost impossible to fulfill. I am 70 but had almost perfect hearing until two years ago when this happened. My doctors have said there is no medication to treat it and have recommended exercises to "retrain my brain." I do them religiously but so far they haven't been very effective. I would like to have comments or remedies from others. Thanks!

Comment from: patsy, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 18

My vertigo attacks seem to occur only in the winter especially if I am outside in below zero or windy weather. I try to remember to wear something over my ears, which seems to help. My vertigo started about 5 years ago, and I usually have at least 2 to 3 episodes a year lasting not more than a week. I've had all the regular tests, and the diagnoses was definitely vertigo. I too have not been able to sleep on my left side for the last 5 years. If I try to turn over dizziness occurs.

Comment from: JohnUK, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: January 18

Hello everyone, I'm a 49 year old man and have suffered three bouts of vertigo since 2003. The first time I had vertigo I didn't know what was happening as I had never suffered from this previously. I went round to see my doctor, expecting the worst and after examining my ears told me that ear wax was causing pressure inside my ear and thus the vertigo sensations. Although I'm really fussy about bodily cleanliness, wax build up is sometimes hard to avoid. My doctor recommended that I use Sodium Bicarbonate ear drops to soften the ear wax and then have the wax removed by the nurse at my local clinic. The ear drops always solve the problem for me although it'd be better not to suffer vertigo in the first place. I have damaged hearing due to riding motorcycles and the constant wind noise inside the motorcycle helmet. I now wear ear plugs when riding or doing noisy work.

Comment from: peggy, 55-64 Female Published: January 11

My vertigo is occurring at night. I'm a side sleeper and when I turn from one side to the other, vertigo happens. The room seems to be spinning and my eyes have trouble staying on one object.

Comment from: Diane, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 05

With my vertigo, I get the sensation that the world is spinning when I move my head.

Comment from: Bettia, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: January 05

My symptoms usually appear only when I lie down. Sometimes they occur when I sit up from a prone position, also. Just as I put my head on the pillow, the room starts to spin and there is such a blackness feeling. It only lasts for a few seconds.

Comment from: shredmansteve, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: July 06

I have been getting very sudden dizzy spells for roughly a year. They are now happening every day to 2 days. It usually only lasts 30-60 seconds and then goes away with only a minor feeling of dizziness. The spells are slowly getting worse and now I'm on 36 hours of being very dizzy. It's worse when I look up or side to side. All I want to do is close my eyes and sleep. I've seen 3 doctors and had 1 ER visit because of it. Nobody seems to have a solid answer. I've also noticed a slight headache following the spells. Any info would be so greatly appreciated.

Comment from: karen, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 23

I have been in the emergency room twice now with server vertigo. the last time the E.R. doctor said I have meniere disease, which causes the vertigo he gave me meclizine (which I was taking before usually helps but not this time)ondansetron 4mg for sickness and diazepam 2 mg he said the diazepam helps stop the dizziness when the meclizine does not. It did help I went to my doctor 5 days later to get a refill but the Physicians assistant would not refill it. Gave me zertec one a day which is not working. Those who have never had vertigo don't understand. It is terrible. When I get it I have to sit and sleep in a sitting position as laying down makes the room spin more. I also get dehydrated from it and break out in a sweat. I feel for everyone out there who is suffering with vertigo. Hang on they have to find something that helps soon.

Comment from: ann, Female Published: April 19

I was laying on my back in my bed for the night then all of a sudden the room was spinning, I felt nauseous and could not even walk straight; It felt like I was drugged or something; I went to the emergency room and was told of this vertigo. It last for several days. I could not drive or walk a straight line, I was all out of balance and boy what a terrible feeling that I experienced for the first time in my 40 years.

Comment from: Lois, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

Can't look up or down. Upon waking the room starts to spin when I sit up. This vertigo has been going on for about 2 weeks.

Comment from: nancy, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 29

For a week, I heard a ringing in my left ear. It stopped, and then my right ear-I could feel my heartbeat in it. Then that stopped, and I started slurring intermittently, losing my balance, couldn't remember well, and finally I felt the merry go round in my head, my eyes twitched when it started. It slows down (dizziness) but does not go away. I am on two medications for it, but they don't seem to help very much. They help slow it down. Getting up or lying down is almost traumatizing.

Comment from: RuthieD, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 21

I have been diagnosed with BPPV since early 1990. Whenever I discuss it with a doctor I get very little concern for the problem. For the past 3 years I can only sleep in one position which is my left side and if I move just a little past the position where I am comfortable I get very dizzy and when I wake up in the morning I have to rise very slowly and not stand up until the vertigo passes. The rest of the day I can have nausea throughout the day. During the day any forward or back position will cause the vertigo. I am very concerned about this and I have never had any type of tests. Only a short verbal discussion about the problem.

Comment from: Betty, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: March 14

Dizziness, unable to walk, nausea, severe nausea, every time I move my head. Unable to keep food down. I have had vertigo before and was treated by an ear doctor, but this time it has lasted for 3 days and is still going on. I am 75 years old but always have been active and in good health.

Comment from: Dizzy Lizzie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 02

With vertigo I experience spinning, feeling of falling, nausea and vomiting and extreme cold sweats when it got really bad. Have had it for about 15 years. Two years ago had it really bad for 3 months! Doctors say the following causes: Anything that causes fluid in ear-if I take a sinus tablet it sometimes dries it up. Wind does me in, causes stones to move--I wear ear muffs on windy days, cotton on breezey days. Very loud vibrating noise-also causes stones to move. Vertigo also makes one sensitive to noise.

Comment from: dizzy lin, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 01

I have had Tinnitus and Vertigo for 20 years, right now I cannot move my eyes left or right without feeling sick, have just been to the cinema which was a dreadful experience, had to shut my eyes with any fast movement, was better when I sat at the back. I travel a lot, any long journey I have to take medication, or I suffer for days after. I find as I'm getting older the attacks are more prolonged. The nausea and feeling of being on a small boat does make life miserable.

Comment from: RJ, 65-74 Male Published: February 24

My husband gave blood on Jan. 29th. He gave red blood cells and the process didn't turn out well. Two days later he was in emergency as he couldn't walk, or see. He had a huge physical mainly of his heart and a cat scan. Everything tested out perfect but the doctor put on his check out papers that he had positional Verdigo. It is almost 1 month now and he isn't any better. He was a tennis player, golfer, and now can't seem to do anything.

Comment from: cazz, Female (Patient) Published: February 01

I woke up and leapt out our bed and felt my head go dizzy on right hand side. Apparently I was ok standing but when I lay down I felt I was spinning. I went to my GP and he knew what had happened and how to fix it. The inner ear had crystallized and moved with the jolt and needed to be put back into place. I had to lie on the floor on my back and turn my head to the left. Then keeping my head left I had to roll to the right rather quickly and then sit up. Amazing result. I am normal again. If it doesn't work first time try again. If you feel it is on left side do the opposite to what I did. I had an episode 6 months prior and was misdiagnosed and was given antibiotics from a different doctor. Then I got a reaction to the medication and was off work for weeks with a skin allergy etc.

Comment from: Dan, 65-74 Male (Caregiver) Published: January 26

When I layed on the bed the room was spinning and then it quit in short time.

Comment from: 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 12

I felt the room would spin once I lie down. Turning to the right side would make it worse. This happened twice before I went to the doctor, when it worsened with vomiting.

• Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Post View 76 Comments
  • Vertigo - Causes

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced?

Post View 63 Comments
  • Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Post View 8 Comments
  • Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Post View 9 Comments

"Pregnancy and Dizziness." American Pregnancy Association.

"Essential Oils for Vertigo." New Health Advisor.

"Labyrinthitis and Vestibular Neuritis." Vestibular Disorders Association.

"Mal de Debarquement." Vestibular Disorders Association.

Furman, J. M., et al. "Patient information: Dizziness and vertigo (beyond the basics)." UpToDate. 19 November 2015.

Hain, T. C. "Meniere's Disease." American Hearing Research Foundation.

Labuguen, R. H. "Initial Evaluation of Vertigo." American Family Physician 73.2 (2006): 244-251.

Swartz, R. and P. Longwell. "Treatment of Vertigo." American Family Physician 71.6 (2005): 1115-1122.

Teggi, R., et al. "Vestibular testing in patients with panic disorder and chronic dizziness." Acta Otorhinolaryngolica Italica 27.5 (2007): 243-247.