Vertigo

What were the causes of the vertigo you experienced? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: bumblebee20, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 24

I was rear ended by an SUV six months ago and have experienced vertigo since then. It lasts anywhere from 5 seconds to a few minutes, and feels like I am spinning clockwise even when I am not moving. It also gives me that jerking sensation you get when you're falling asleep because I feel my center of gravity drop. The vertigo is accompanied with headaches in the front of my head, behind my eyes, nausea, and jerky eye movements. When I have episodes of it I find it incredibly disorienting.

Comment from: Myluckycharm, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: February 26

Overworking my ear and using too much cellular phone caused my vertigo. And I damaged my ear by putting Q-Tip too deep inside for years. Stress, overuse of my brain, too much TV (could not sleep and I thought TV is my best friend), all of the above gave me today lack of balance, and numbness (feet, shoulders, and low back).

Comment from: personwhocares, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 13

I had first vertigo episode rolling over in bed five years ago. Terrible vertigo for several days with residual effects lasting six weeks. I went to the ENT and diagnosed with benign paroxysmal positional vertigo (BPPV) and given exercises to do. I thought it worked but it came back and then I was taught the Epley maneuver. First, to figure out what ear was the problem doctor performed Dix-Hallpike procedure. He laid me back with head extended over bed and whatever side brought on the vertigo was the ear infected with loose crystals. Secondly I learned Epley maneuver for the ear with the problem (mine was left ear). Over the next few years I had three more episodes all running their course in about six weeks. Since then I have had one and a half years of no vertigo but do notice residual effects, i.e., feeling a little off at times. Today had a vertigo episode, performed a Dix-Hallpike on myself, again it was my left ear and I did an Epley. I feel okay and hopefully this episode will not last as long as others. Here is what I have learned doing research on this and why it happens. I believe BPPV is caused by two situations. One is long term uncontrollable stress and then a major life stress causing a heightened nervous system and the other is allergy, infections, colds, sinusitis, sleep apnea or anything that narrows the upper airway (especially sleeping or bad sleep) which also causes stress on the inner ear. Result of these two factors is vertigo. I got the stress information from a study and a doctor, as well as everyone who I've known who had BPPV. They all say they has serious uncontrollable life situations/stress prior to their first episode.

Comment from: VinnyG, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: November 14

I'm a 43 year old male. I am experiencing vertigo for the last two years. My symptoms start with a feeling of motion in the abdomen, followed by a ringing in the ears and then a feeling as though I am walking on a moving ship. Sometimes, it brings nausea and tightness of the chest. Once or twice has brought on an anxiety attack. The vertigo attack usually last about 30 minutes. Have been to doctor numerous times but not getting any help. I am now awaiting an appointment with an ear nose and throat specialist.

Comment from: Gingerlea, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 22

I am suffering from a bout of vertigo right now. I seem to get it at the same time every year. I feel it has to do with exposure to mold and fungi spores. It is late September and everything is going to seed. After the humidity of summer, I figure as the air becomes drier and the wind picks up, the more the spores circulate. My vertigo seems to start out not so bad then progresses to the kind where I dare not move my head. Nausea, lightheadedness, mild pain and noise in the ears come along with it. It goes away the same way it comes on, gradually becoming milder and milder until one day I forget I ever had it. Less salt helps too, so does avoiding caffeine in all forms. I hate putting a name to the disorder, because then I tend to see myself as sick with something, which causes stress and stress makes it last longer since my attention is on every movement I make and how I am feeling with every movement. Even though vertigo is a rotten thing, I do appreciate the balance mechanisms of my body when they are working right. People who've never had this can't appreciate how precise these little systems are that keep us walking upright.

Comment from: Agutierrez, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 12

I suffer from vertigo and after two years, I got a stroke. I was told by my doctor to not ignore headache with vertigo. I been on Serc for a long time. This diminishes the vertigo but I get it almost every year. The bad news is that it is getting stronger every year. Every attack is very debilitating and I have to rest all day. They last a week, two or days. I am careful not to get a stroke.

Comment from: tiffany, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 15

When I sleep on my right side then wake up in the morning the room spins for about 30seconds

Comment from: MMTT, Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I have suffered with vertigo for seven (7) years after falling into a wall and hitting my head. Hard. I was recently diagnosed with BPPV. Finally, somebody was able to tell me I wasn't going mad. My episodes vary and comes whenever it so chooses. My shortest episode was 1 hour and my longest was 2 weeks. As a result of my injury, I was off of work for many years and so sleeping away my dizziness and nausea was my cure. In 2011, I got my longest bout while I was at work and continued working. I found out that once my vertigo is acting up, one of the triggers that makes me spin, is light. YES LIGHT!!!! I had to wear shades and could not watch white paper, TV and Computer screens directly. Going out into the sunlight is a no. I have noticed that some of my triggers for the onset of vertigo however, are bending over or down and sometimes the quick movement of tilting my head backward or forward. I can usually tell when it's about to pay me a visit...everything seems to move a bit slower around me and then within a couple minutes or hours...BOOM hello vertigo (you miserable debilitating disease)! I am now working on some exercises...check out BPPV. Hope this helps.

Comment from: Mary, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 03

I had my first vertigo attack yesterday. I woke up everything was spinning. I had to call out for my 4 year old son to get my cell phone. My husband arrived shortly. I started vomiting and my body was so weak. It felt like I had a bottle of vodka. I asked him to put my cloth on because I couldn't move, because I would spin more. I kept my eyes closed because I would get more nauseous. I did not get the ringing in my ear. After vomiting a few times we called the ambulance. They thought it was migraine, but the doctor said it was vertigo, something to do with my ear. I was terrified because she did not explain what caused, or how to prevent. I went home still dizzy, and got better but, not 100%. This morning I was happy because I felt better, but around noon I started to feel like dizzy, or motion sickness again! I going to follow up with another Doctor, and see what he says. I'm praying this will be temporary, because I need to go back to work.

Comment from: Okie4Ever, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I fell at Christmas and hit the back of my head. Hard. I had my first attack of Vertigo in March. Don't know if that is related or not, but I was also very stressed in March. The doctors say it is because of crystals in the ear pushing the little hairs in the inner ear out of alignment. I don't know if that is true or not, but I know the meclazine I was prescribed only lessens, but does not get rid of, the symptoms. I also agree "dizziness" is not an adequate description. I literally had to crawl to get to the phone to call for help. I could not stand up. This disease is a nightmare! My attacks typically last for several weeks.

Comment from: PAUL, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 09

Having my first ever vertigo attack today. I went to doctor who diagnosed the problem. The room is spinning and I feel nauseous.

Comment from: bonnie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 29

I had vertigo with an inner ear infection at the age of 33, and again at the age of 47. I had started taking 3,000 mg/day of an antibiotic for a sinus infection. This time at age 57, I have vertigo again, the day after having a massage primarily on my neck.

Comment from: Mercedes, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: April 29

I am 34 years old and I had my first vertigo attack last year in February. It was awful. I could not think or concentrate and I felt like the world around me was swaying at all times. I was at first prescribed Methylprednisolone for the swelling in my inner ear, but it did not do anything. Then I was prescribed Meclizine and that took care of the problem, until this year when the vertigo came back. So the regimen started again: first with meclizine, then with methylprednisone, then with Valacyclovir (antiviral) and finally with Lorazepam (anti-anxiety). I am 3 weeks into my Vertigo episode and nothing seems to help.

Comment from: Maggie, 75 or over Female (Patient) Published: December 05

I've had vertigo off and on for 40 years. I was offered tranquilizers and felt that if it was in my inner ear then seasick tabliets would help, and they do. I take a Dramamine when it first hits and one every 6 hours until it's gone. My attacks are from 3 to 4 years apart. I am in the throes as we speak and this time it went away and came back in a week. It's never happened like this before. But just taking the Dramamine helps. Also, I have had swishing in my ears for. Other than being a nuisance, I manage with the Dramamine.

Comment from: Jenny, 45-54 Female Published: October 18

I have been suffering with Vertigo for over 10 years now. Up until a couple of days ago my last attack was about 4 or 5 years ago. Like most people, my sudden dizziness starts when I wake up and turn my head mainly to the right. I find it so frightening that I sometimes scream and hold on to my partner. I then keep still for a few minutes and attempt to move but slowly. Sometimes I am sick but I always feel unwell and tired for up to a week. My doctor has told me that I will suffer with Vertigo for the rest of my life. Oh the joy!!

Comment from: telly, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: September 07

I drive a semi truck, and started getting blurred vision(as if my eyes were crossed). This progressed to the point where I could not stand or walk when haveing an episode. Of course out of safety i had to take off of work. The doctor gave me medications, one for dizziness that didnt work, and one for anxiety. They put me to sleep, but its the only thing that works. I don't have insurance as this is a new job. I thought things were getting better but then I had a very frighting episode yesterday. I was stumbling against wall to get to my bed. I also had nausea and sweating. I am scared as I am getting behind on all of my bills and don't know what I am going to do. One doctor says it's my ears. another says it's my inner ear. I have a bad disk in my back that pinches nerves which I am told can also be the problem.

Comment from: 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: August 10

I'm 38 and starting having vertigo symptoms about seven years ago. Usually it starts when I wake up.

Comment from: Caroline, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: July 31

My attacks of vertigo seem to be brought on by being outside in very cold conditions.

Comment from: carlton, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: June 20

I had my first experience three days ago. I woke that morning and swung out of bed rather quickly. I felt that I was immediately spinning around inside my head. The sensation left as quickly as it arrived, although I remained slightly dizzy. I dressed and went to church, still vaguely feeling dizzy. By the end of the service I was feeling sick and was unable to stand. When the ambulance attendant laid me on the stretcher the vertigo hit. Meclizine, Lorazapam for dizziness, Zofran for nausea. I sure hope this clears up.

Comment from: carol, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: June 11

Just experiencing my first event of vertigo, over the past week I often feel as though I am walking on a ship swaying from side to side. I have seen a doctor who believes it is a virus. I do have history of regular ear infections over the past five years. But not aware of ear infections at the moment. I do wonder if this problem has been brought on by a car accident I was in five weeks ago. Following a head on collision I landed upside down in the ditch. Luckily enough I was able to walk away but do wondered if this sensation is linked.

Comment from: Kit, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 04

I had a moment of dizziness after standing quickly one morning. Thought it was nothing. Walked home from a friend's house and continued my day. At 4 am woke to the world spinning and could not get it under control. I felt nauseated and I wobbled to the bathroom but had to crawl back to bed. I started wondering if I was having a heart attack or a stroke. My husband woke and we called 911. I went to the hospital, then went home diagnosed with labyrinthitis. I am on antibiotics and it is slowly correcting.

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: May 21

I still do not know causes of my vertigo, I was told it had to be from the inner ear. The last vertigo attack I had was April 8th of this year. To this day I still feel dizzy when I bend over or turn my head to the side. When I go to bed I am only able to sleep on my right side, if I turn to my left side and put my head on pillow I feel like I am spinning for a few seconds. If I remain in an upright position I am ok.

Comment from: DEEPTI, 19-24 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I literally fell down when I lifted my head or moved it to either side. I was diagnosed with vertigo. Now I'm fine after being on medication for one week.

Comment from: Busybody, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 30

I've had vertigo since 2004. My attacks were mild at first, then in 2010, I had one very bad episode, then another one in 2011. I recently had one this year, which was so bad, it sent me to the hospital.

Comment from: Mary, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I think my first episode of vertigo was in the mid-90s and for about one week. I felt like the room was spinning and I could not get my balance. For some reason the neurologist did not have a diagnosis. It went away until about three years ago. I woke up and tried to stand up but fell right to the floor. I did not have time to feel the spinning and I had to crawl to the bathroom and vomit continuously so severely that I also lost control of other functions. I thought I was dying. I had to spend the night in the hospital due to not being able to walk without having to grip to something. This lasted for two weeks. I do have an occasional slight dizzy spell and some tinnitus sometimes. My grandmother had Meniere's disease and aunt and cousin have MS. I'm beginning to wonder if there is a connection.

Comment from: Oddie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: April 10

I'm 55 years old. I was told that I had breast cancer in January. The day of my radiation I was on the table. I had just lay down and everything started spinning. I went to the doctor and had some tests done. She told me its vertigo. I have been dealing with this for four weeks now.

Comment from: flipper, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: April 02

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about 15 years ago. It was presented with hearing loss in right ear and tinnitus in both. I did not have any other symptoms until last year when I had very short, random episodes of dizziness which went away after 10-15 seconds and I was fine. I went to my ENT doctor who told me it was not vertigo but probably a side effect of the 200 mg Celebrex I was taking for arthritis. I lowered my dose to 100 mg and was fine until yesterday, almost a year later. I woke up in the middle of the night with the room spinning out of control.

Comment from: Tanya, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I recently was diagnoses a few days ago. I was experiencing dizziness and lightheaded feeling. I was also experiencing headaches. I was under a lot of stress and anxiety. My ear felt like it was on fire. I went to the emergency room and they did a number of tests, and diagnosed me with vertigo. I was given some medicine for dizziness and pain.

Comment from: fstrickland, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: March 26

I was diagnosed with vertigo about five years ago. It has subsided until recently. Mind is a feeling of the room spinning out of control and I also begin to feel nauseated. Being diabetic, there is a lot of medicine I cannot take.

Comment from: G98, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: March 26

I have been a vertigo sufferer for 7 years. My first episode occurred while simply waking up and stretching a bit before getting out of bed. I turned my head to the left and BOOM the room took off violently spinning around me. After about two weeks of taking meclizine (which simply works by putting you to sleep) I saw an audiologist at a large ENT practice in my city. She indicated she thought I had BPPV and, sure enough after administering the Epley maneuver I found myself totally vertigo free and walked out of the office "cured."

Comment from: 55-64 Female Published: March 13

Had a hot stone massage on a cruise ship. I experienced severe vertigo, a violent spinning sensation, upon rising in the morning from laying down to sitting up.

Comment from: runningtito, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: March 12

I'm 38 years old and I've had vertigo all my life. My mom has it and my 15 year old daughter has it too. I use motion sickness medications.

Comment from: Pat from PA, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

Got up one morning in 2007 and thought that I was having a seizure because the world was spinning so fast I could not stay vertical. My husband thought I might be having a stroke or heart attack. The ambulance came and off I went to the ER. I was on meclizine for about three weeks. The spinning settled a little but the floor seeming to be moving as though I was on a very rocky boat. I tried to go back to work, but had another attack lasting two weeks and then another a few weeks later. I have been to a balance disorder specialist and have taken months of vestibular therapy. It is better for a time but the sudden unexplained attacks happen whenever and wherever with no warning. I have tried Zoloft and clonazepam to keep these attacks under control but these meds make me drowsy. I wish there was a cure for this debilitating disease. I had to take an early unplanned retirement from work and in today's economy this is not good. Hope the cure is in my lifetime.

Comment from: gracie, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: March 12

I am a 57 year old female and suffered a mild attack of dizziness in my 30s and nothing since. A week before breaking up for Christmas holidays last year I felt flu-like and confined to bed. By the third day I had a severe pain in the top left hand side of my head, had several bouts of sickness and the only way I could reach the bathroom was on all fours because the room was spinning around violently. Living alone I called the doctor who examined my left ear. There was no ear infection and was told a virus had left me with vertigo. The tablets I was prescribed have not eradicated the dizziness and I'm also left with no sense of smell or taste which is worrying. I thought the vertigo would have gone now so will have to try another course of treatment.

Comment from: gene, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I was diagnosed with Meniere's disease about 20 years ago. I had all the symptoms. Thought my life had ended, but over time you learn to live with almost anything. I have had tinnitus constantly, along with hardly any hearing in one ear. At least the fullness has gone away. I don't get vertigo too often, but often enough for me to monitor ANY activity that could be dangerous, like driving a car or even a bike. If you have just developed similar symptoms, don't despair.

Comment from: Vincent Bruno, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 07

I take Paxil and sedatives and at times when I drive or walk up steps or a ladder, I actually feel that everything around me is spinning. I do feel dizziness.

Comment from: noza, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 27

My very first episode of vertigo was late 2006 when I was breastfeeding my youngest. At that point it was put down to breastfeeding. In 2010, I had another episode dizzy spells and or spinnings but was put down to low blood pressure. Last night without any warning again I had my third severe episode. Called out of hours and was told it is vertigo the doctor gave me instructions and asked me sleep and if I didnt feel any better in the morning to see my GP which I did. I now very concerned and will certainly keep a close eye on what flares it and how long it lasts.

Comment from: attackkat1, Female (Patient) Published: January 31

Ten years ago I had a stroke. Three months prior to that, I had vertigo off and on which lasted only about 10-15 seconds. One night, I woke up with severe vertigo and was hysterical. My husband immediately got me into the car and to the hospital. The CT scan noted that I had "many" mini strokes in the past. Three months later, I had a pretty serious stroke and that CT scan showed that I had a previous stroke. Just recently, I started having vertigo again. When I get into bed at night and when I get out of bed in the mornings. Needless to say, I'll be off to the doctor ASAP.

Comment from: Deanaj, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: January 31

I had my very first episode of vertigo happened nearly 20 years ago and lasted nearly two months. It was so debilitating that I could not work or anything. Like others, I thought it was a brain tumor. After many test, nothing was found. I remember sleeping in a recliner chair because the bed was impossible. Over the past few years I've had minor episodes lasting a few days or so, but nothing like the first time. I'm nearly 60 years old and I've just learned to live with it.

Comment from: Cathy, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: January 25

When I opened my eyes this morning from a restful sleep the room was spinning very fast. I closed my eyes and took a peek...still spinning. What the heck was going on? It sure wasn't dizziness. So, I just lay there for a while, slowly sat up with my eyes still closed then looked at the floor. Phew...OK! I moved my head to the right and spinning! Four hours later I have done laundry, cleaned the bathroom, and started supper, but I feel a little nauseous. This is some scary stuff so I came here and I guess I had a bout of vertigo. What the heck? I feel slightly goofy.

Comment from: Ronda, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: January 24

I had a bad fall in my kitchen in October. Tripped over the dog with a bowl in each hand, got my legs tangled up under him, and landed directly on my forehead and face, on a tile floor with concrete foundation. The pain was excruciating to my head. I had a slight cut in the center of my forehead, surrounded by a raised red circle about 3" in diameter. My nose was pushed up toward my forehead, scraped and bleeding, and my elbow swelled up like a baseball.

Comment from: Jessie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: January 03

Suddenly, I felt light headed and followed by spinning sensation in my head. I found that if I lay on my left side then things get better. If I try to do otherwise, I would throw up due to the spinning sensation. Now, not only I have to recover from my vertigo, my gastric also started due to the throwing up and loss of appetite. My muscles also start aching due to long hours of lying down. Please share if you have any medication to cure or prevent vertigo.

Comment from: gwarren, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 13

I just got out of the hospital last week after being in a week for vertigo. I never get sick so when this hit me at work I was transported to the hospital with nausea and vomiting. My blood pressure shot up; I was sweating with double vision and spinning.

Comment from: Kat, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 13

I first got vertigo 4 years ago, out of the blue while walking down the stairs I just fell. Later on that night I started getting ringing in the ears. After going through the ER, I was frightened with Meniere's disease.

Comment from: bellm01, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: December 01

I'm not sure where vertigo stemmed from for me but it has been going on for at least 6 months now. At first the dizziness seemed to appear 4-6 weeks. Then it became worst and more often, forcing me to call appointments for the doctor. Well first thing they asked was if I could be pregnant? I took a pregnancy test. Sure enough, it came back positive.

Comment from: sugard, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: November 07

Last Friday in the morning I was fine and then suddenly at lunchtime I went to stand up and nearly fell down. It scared me to death. It progressively got worse and I ended up at a clinic late afternoon. They checked my ears and found I had a severe ear infection. Apart from the vertigo I had not experienced any symptoms. Because of my age (66) I was sent for an MRI to rule out small strokes, which was negative. Blood tests at the clinic also diagnosed a UTI again no visible symptoms. I have been on an anti-biotic since Friday night. The vertigo comes and goes right now.

Comment from: Linda, 35-44 Female Published: November 01

My first Vertigo experience was in 2005. It happened just as I parked my car. I thought I did not engage the parking brake since I had the sensation that the car was moving. I did engage the brake. It was somewhat unsettling. It never lasts longer than 10-20 seconds and then it is gone. It happens when I walk or stand still and is very embarrassing when you join friends and lose your balance due to the vertigo while you have a drink in your hand. I do suffer from a mild Hydrocephalus condition, but it was not linked to my Vertigo - I actually never asked. I have learned to live with it and very few people know I have this experience some times. Nowadays I just ignore it and keep doing what I am busy with.

Comment from: Kristi, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 04

I have been experiencing vertigo and dizziness now for 6 years. First bout with it lasted 4 months straight. I thought I might have had a brain tumor, but after a battery of tests, nothing showed up as an issue. The only thing that has seemed to work for me is Prednisone steroid pills. Usually by the 3rd day or so they start to kick in. I still get vertigo episodes every few months, and they usually last about 10-14 days. But the Prednisone usually helps.

Comment from: nviejo, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 26

I started having vertigo in my 40s. It comes on very suddenly and lasts 24-48 hours usually. Meclizine does help and lying on my left side seems to help. It only happens once every few years. I also have severe motion sickness. Doctors cannot figure out the cause.

Comment from: Chippy, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: September 13

I recently had nose surgery and I started having symptoms of vertigo. Doctor said it was probably from the medication. I have stopped taking the medication, but still have symptoms.

Comment from: Carrie, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 16

I've had vertigo about three times prior to this one, always when I go up in high altitude. Vertigo is the most debilitating, scary, unknown medical condition I've had. There's got to be an explanation for it!

Comment from: Sue, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 10

I first got the 'spinning room' scenario when I was twelve. It was very frightening, very severe and I was off school for a week. My next attack was when I was thirty two, so a big gap there. Again, it lasted for a week. Now I'm forty two and it's happening again. I had an attack three weeks ago and I took a travel sickness tablet. It really helped. I suffer from extreme travel sickness and the symptoms are quite similar. I had another attack today. I took a tablet two hours ago and it's been very effective. The dizziness has gone!

Comment from: miss t, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: February 21

I am 44 years old, I got vertigo from flying for the first time in 2009. I feel like my body is being invaded, with symptoms of dizziness, nausea, vomiting, spinning, sensitivity to light. I am a wife, mother of 5, and also a cosmetologist. It's hard to maintain a normal life, when an episode occurs I feel help less. I've seen 7 doctors, taken 9 medications, and am in bed for weeks at a time.

Comment from: keepgoing, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: May 18

My vertigo was caused by a suicide attempt of Aspirin and Tylenol. I know I can only control certain parts of my life. I keep in good physical shape, do all of my exercises and watch my salt and caffeine intake. My last option is to have the nerves cut to both of my ears and be deaf for the rest of my life. The steps I am taking do help, but I will have this for the rest of my life and will just keep fighting to have a normal life.

Comment from: jscbob, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: November 14

About a week ago I woke feeling dizzy and it's been a week and I've been to the er twice. I'm still as dizzy and feeling like it so never went away. They gave me meclizine which has not helped at all. I've been off work for a week and have no more sick leave. Supposed to return to work tomorrow, but don't think I can do that.

Comment from: meryt, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: August 24

I have been having vertigo episodes now with different things that I eat. Chocolate will bring on an attack immediately. Some teas will bring it on but not as quickly as the chocolate I have experienced Vertigo for several years now and my sister had it also. It has just now started to escalate as I have had several spells this year and usually only about 1 or 2 the previous years.

Comment from: sue lion, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: August 17

I have had vertigo since I was little. If I have an ear ache like right now triggers it sometimes it just comes. I had it so bad that I just kept throwing up every time I moved. I am 37 now and it still isn't easy. My doctor when I was little gave me a vitamin b12 shot to stop it and told me when I start getting dizzy to take it but lately it hasn't worked. So I saw on a web site today to use ginger capsules or make a ginger tea with lemon. That is what I am going to try next they say it works. Some also say ginkgo biloba helps. I like more natural stuff anyhow. Hope this helps some of you.

Comment from: Female (Patient) Published: August 03

Had Vertigo about a month ago Dr. prescribed prednisone. I just woke up one morning feeling dizzy and nauseated. After taking the med for 5 days it slowly disappeared. Now 2 weeks later it is back, it makes it hard to go to work. The Dr. gave me another 5 days of prednisone hopefully this will put an end to this horror.

Comment from: badyjr, 35-44 Male (Patient) Published: July 25

I was diagnosed with Vertigo back in 2007. I woke up one morning thinking I got up too fast. I sat on side of the bed for a few mins waiting for it to go away.....it never did. Stayed off work for 3 months!!!! This is a condition that very few people understand the severity and how it causes complete alteration of your life. The constant dizziness, nausea, ringing of the ears, disorientation, sweating, no appetite and loss of balance are so nerve wrecking until I feel as if I'm losing my mind. It's back again and I've been off work going on 3 wks now. The bad part about, it gives no warning and no set limit to how long it last. There has to be a cure out there somewhere.

Comment from: scoobydoo, 45-54 Female Published: July 25

There wasn't anything that brought it on. I did have a buildup of wax and stuff but after the removal I still had the same problems as I did before. It's hitting me just about every day now. It gets so bad that I have to be helped around. If it hits me when I'm driving. I have to get someone to come get me. I know what it feels like so you're not alone.

Comment from: Cheryl, 65-74 Female (Patient) Published: July 25

I am a 65 year old woman who has just had the most debilitating 4 days of vertigo. After being taken to hospital this week, they gave me Stemitel intraveinously and then an injection and I am now on tablets every 6 hours. I am feeling much better but have never been so sick in all my life with nausea. I am rarely sick but this has "sent me in a spin" both literally and figuratively.

Comment from: Trouza, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: July 20

I feel everything spinning around me when I lie down on my right side. And very rarely on my left side, and very slightly when I lie on my back. I've had vertigo for about two months, and now it's back again. The doctor's prescribed Betahistine Hydrochloride...3 a day...And it seems to go away. But it affects my appetite. My left ear has a slight humming sort of sound, but not much. I can walk around ok, and my hearing is not affected, but perhaps because of the medication, I feel a bit drowsy quite a lot during the day.

Comment from: Emma, 35-44 Female (Patient) Published: July 16

I had my first vertigo attack earlier this year, the next morning back from a beach. I was literally thrown from one side of the bathroom to another for a start. Thank goodness I wasn't hit by anything. Even though I was conscious of the fall I had no control. I thought it was an earthquake. However, the day continued with no sign. At night the moment I laid my head down to sleep, my head and the world spun all together, the next thing I knew I was vomiting. I called for help when my sisters arrived I had no control over my bowels. I could only get up on the right side and rested for two days. One suggestion though, if it spins on the left side, gently turn your head to the right and get up with that position. It's back again after 4 months but not as bad as the first experience.

• Vertigo - Describe Your Experience

Please describe your experience with vertigo.

Post View 76 Comments
  • Vertigo - Symptoms

What symptoms were associated with your vertigo?

Post View 86 Comments
  • Vertigo - Treatment

What treatments were effective in your case of vertigo?

Post View 8 Comments
  • Vertigo- Exercises

Have you ever tried any exercises to resolve your case of vertigo? Did they help?

Post View 9 Comments

"Pregnancy and Dizziness." American Pregnancy Association.

"Essential Oils for Vertigo." New Health Advisor.

"Labyrinthitis and Vestibular Neuritis." Vestibular Disorders Association.

"Mal de Debarquement." Vestibular Disorders Association.

Furman, J. M., et al. "Patient information: Dizziness and vertigo (beyond the basics)." UpToDate. 19 November 2015.

Hain, T. C. "Meniere's Disease." American Hearing Research Foundation.

Labuguen, R. H. "Initial Evaluation of Vertigo." American Family Physician 73.2 (2006): 244-251.

Swartz, R. and P. Longwell. "Treatment of Vertigo." American Family Physician 71.6 (2005): 1115-1122.

Teggi, R., et al. "Vestibular testing in patients with panic disorder and chronic dizziness." Acta Otorhinolaryngolica Italica 27.5 (2007): 243-247.