West Nile Virus

What symptoms did you experience with the West Nile virus? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Glad to be alive, 65-74 Male (Patient) Published: January 18

I had flu like symptoms, and felt weak all over in 2019 November. I went to work at a hospital, and started sweating profusely, was delusional, and could barely talk. My boss came around to the desk and said they were taking me to the emergency room (ER). Blood pressure was 207/197, the ER doctors immediately admitted me to SICU. I had 2 MRIs, 2 MRAs, CT scan, spinal tap and diagnosed with West Nile virus. I went into a semi-coma, didn't eat for over 10 days, incredibly stiff neck, couldn't move either. I stayed in the hospital about 15 days. Lost 40 percent of my right eyesight.

Comment from: Johannes, 35-44 (Patient) Published: October 08

It started in May 2019, I was healthy before the West Nile virus hit. I had severe headache, blurry vision, was just in a cold dark room for 2 months. Then my breathing collapsed and I was hospitalized 4 times. Now I am better, but still no stamina, I can’t do sports, and often sleep a lot. I wonder how to improve the long term effects. I am desperate. Doctors just say I would have to wait but there must be something helping to become healthy!

Comment from: Dayna , 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I started out with overwhelming fatigue from the West Nile virus, and couldn’t stay awake. I went on vacation with my family and literally slept through it. By the time we got home, I began running a fever of 105. I went to the emergency room and they gave me a spinal tap and confirmed West Nile virus with meningitis. I was admitted to the hospital because I was going into a coma. It took me a year to recover and I have no memory of that year. I continue to have flare ups including migraines.

Comment from: Shelstar, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

My symptoms of West Nile virus were total and complete acute flaccid paralysis, encephalitis, meningitis, fever of 103 plus F, nausea, vomiting, severe headache, light flashes and blurred vision, and rash, leading to eight months life support, and ten months hospitalization. Two years later I still cannot lift my arms, have no functional movement in one hand and an arm, right side weakness, muscle cramping, weakness in legs, weak core and neck muscles, dysphagia, low hemoglobin and B 12, unable to control body temperature, and ringing in ears. No preexisting condition.

Comment from: Sadie sue, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I have had the West Nile virus since 2000. Each day that passes the symptoms seem to be worse. My body shakes and turns blue. I have severe heart issues, severe headaches, dizziness, and loss of earing on one side. My eyes are worsening yearly, and end of the day they get very blurry. I have memory issues (very severe at times), skin issues (clothes touching skin hurts yet I can’t feel sun burn), nerve issues, and easy bruising. I am very weak, very sore, very tired, can’t concentrate, and hurt all over all the time. Very bad immune system.

Comment from: Big D from Bryan, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: September 24

My West Nile virus symptoms started with 4 days of fever. I took an Epsom salt bath to ease the ache. While finishing the bath is when I noticed the upper body rash and was diagnosed with West Nile. Following that I've dealt with pain, not joint, but bone pain, similar to literally walking on broken bones, headaches, diarrhea for 250 days straight, night puking, and seizures. One day I couldn’t raise my left arm, then the right arm, and developed huge flashes of random pain in odd areas that are so painful I cannot even speak. Also had brain fog.

Comment from: Survivor#1, 45-54 Female (Patient) Published: September 24

I was infected in 2006 with the West Nile virus. I had meningitis then encephalitis, the worst headache of my life, rash on my trunk, fever, and vomiting. I was unable to walk for months, with extreme exhaustion. Thirteen years later, I have ongoing pain in my back and legs due to nerve damage, constant headaches, exhaustion, poor word recall, and memory. I started a support group, West Nile Virus support group to help support others and offer factual information.

Comment from: Guise, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: August 21

Five days after getting bitten I developed a rash on my face and trunk from West Nile virus. That night I had chills and hot sweats. The next day I felt weak like I was catching a flu. My body felt heavy and to do anything was exhausting. I also had a numb tingling on my face, arms, and lower extremities. I also had neck and headache with a lower backache, and joint pain and stiffness in my legs. I also had an aversion to food. It's been only a few days hopefully it will pass soon.

Comment from: Teddy, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: July 13

My symptoms of West Nile virus were severe excruciating headache, confusion, hallucinations, inability to put the correct words together in a sentence, severe back and muscle pain, and I slept all the time. I had hot and cold flashes - severe sweating, one minute freezing cold and shaking the next. I had tremulousness - sometimes so bad I could not feed myself without food falling off the fork. I wanted to die. Initial infection was in 2014. It recurs every time I have a surgical procedure - especially any work done in my mouth. I have had 3 recurrences.

SLIDESHOW

Brain Food Pictures: What to Eat to Boost Focus See Slideshow
Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was very healthy when I contracted West Nile virus (WNV) in 2014. Symptoms included massive headache that emanated from the base of my skull, stiff neck, fever, and extreme fatigue (in bed 23 of 24 hours). I recall telling a friend I felt like I had to remind myself to breathe sometimes. It wasn't diagnosed by blood test, until the virus started to resolve itself a couple of months later. I experienced fatigue for another couple of years, and still need 10 hours sleep a night. Every now and then I still have a period of extended headaches due to inflammation. Muscles deteriorated and I am still working on a full comeback. It is upsetting that people and the medical community blow you off; oh, I'm not worried about WNV 'because I'm healthy'. I was too. It's a mistake to broadcast that 80 percent of people don't even know they have it.

Comment from: Woodbridge Walk-In, 25-34 (Caregiver) Published: September 26

Common symptoms of West Nile virus are headaches, body aches, joint pains, vomiting, diarrhea, or rash. Some serious symptoms associated with this West Nile virus are severe illnesses affecting the central nervous system, such as encephalitis or meningitis. High fever, neck stiffness, muscle weaknesses, vision loss, numbness, and paralysis are important signs and symptoms related to West Nile virus.

Comment from: Mama Houser, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had massive migraine headaches, body aches, chills, fever, sensitivity to light, pain behind my eyes, and muscles weakness. The headache lasted for 6 days straight, and no medicine would take it away. It has been 8 days now and the headache has returned with a vengeance. Hopefully, it will all be over soon, but I doubt it!!!

Comment from: DENNIS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I became very weak and I had tingling in my arms and legs. It has been three months since I contacted it.

Comment from: Texas Eskimo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I was infected with one mosquito. I remember getting bit in mid August 2012 because I experienced a rash almost immediately. Within a week I experienced chills, severe headaches in the middle of my head radiating outwards, pain from between the shoulder blades to the base of my skull, severe ear aches with pain down the sides of my neck on both sides and into my jaw, and flu like symptoms. I had no fever, or if I did, it didn't last long. I went to the doctor after the first week thinking I had an ear infection. I went back again a week later and they took a blood sample which confirmed that it was the West Nile virus. I was prescribed with Butal/Acetaminophen which helped. Since then I've had occasional pains in my neck and head aches just like before. I've also noticed kidney pain on one side.

Comment from: nfmryders, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I had flu-like symptoms and muscle weakness. After a few days, my lungs collapsed and had full paralysis. It has been one year now and I'm still in a wheelchair. I can walk with a cane but only short distances. I should fully recover, but it’s just going to take some time.

CONTINUE SCROLLING FOR RELATED SLIDESHOW