West Nile Virus

What symptoms did you experience with the West Nile virus? Submit Your Comment

Comment from: Elaine, 55-64 Female (Patient) Published: June 16

I was very healthy when I contracted West Nile virus (WNV) in 2014. Symptoms included massive headache that emanated from the base of my skull, stiff neck, fever, and extreme fatigue (in bed 23 of 24 hours). I recall telling a friend I felt like I had to remind myself to breathe sometimes. It wasn't diagnosed by blood test, until the virus started to resolve itself a couple of months later. I experienced fatigue for another couple of years, and still need 10 hours sleep a night. Every now and then I still have a period of extended headaches due to inflammation. Muscles deteriorated and I am still working on a full comeback. It is upsetting that people and the medical community blow you off; oh, I'm not worried about WNV 'because I'm healthy'. I was too. It's a mistake to broadcast that 80 percent of people don't even know they have it.

Comment from: Mama Houser, 25-34 Female (Patient) Published: October 12

I had massive migraine headaches, body aches, chills, fever, sensitivity to light, pain behind my eyes, and muscles weakness. The headache lasted for 6 days straight, and no medicine would take it away. It has been 8 days now and the headache has returned with a vengeance. Hopefully, it will all be over soon, but I doubt it!!!

Comment from: DENNIS, 45-54 Male (Patient) Published: March 21

I became very weak and I had tingling in my arms and legs. It has been three months since I contacted it.

Comment from: Texas Eskimo, 55-64 Male (Patient) Published: December 27

I was infected with one mosquito. I remember getting bit in mid August 2012 because I experienced a rash almost immediately. Within a week I experienced chills, severe headaches in the middle of my head radiating outwards, pain from between the shoulder blades to the base of my skull, severe ear aches with pain down the sides of my neck on both sides and into my jaw, and flu like symptoms. I had no fever, or if I did, it didn't last long. I went to the doctor after the first week thinking I had an ear infection. I went back again a week later and they took a blood sample which confirmed that it was the West Nile virus. I was prescribed with Butal/Acetaminophen which helped. Since then I've had occasional pains in my neck and head aches just like before. I've also noticed kidney pain on one side.

Comment from: nfmryders, 25-34 Male (Patient) Published: August 14

I had flu-like symptoms and muscle weakness. After a few days, my lungs collapsed and had full paralysis. It has been one year now and I'm still in a wheelchair. I can walk with a cane but only short distances. I should fully recover, but it's just going to take some time.

• West Nile Virus Treatment

How was your West Nile virus infection treated?

Post View 1 Comment
  • West Nile Virus - Prevention

What measures do you take to prevent infection with West Nile virus?

Post

Medically reviewed by Robert Cox, MD; American Board of Internal Medicine with subspecialty in Infectious Disease

Salinas, Jess D. "West Nile Virus." Medscape.com. July 30, 2014. <http://emedicine.medscape.com/
article/312210-overview#aw2aab6b2b3>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "West Nile Virus." Jan. 30, 2015. <http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvbid/westnile/index.htm>.

United States. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. "West Nile Virus: FAQ: General Questions About West Nile Virus." Nov. 22, 2013. <http://www.cdc.gov/westnile/faq/genQuestions.html#vaccine>.