- High Blood Pressure (BP)
- 25 Fruits for Lowering BP
- Lifestyle Changes
What Is High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a condition in which the force of blood pumping through the arteries is consistently too high. When this occurs, the walls of the arteries are extended beyond their normal limit, which can lead to damage and scarring and put people at risk for heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease.
Blood pressure is expressed in two numbers:
- Systolic blood pressure (the first/top number): measures the pressure in the blood vessels when the heart beats
- Diastolic blood pressure (the second/bottom number): measures the pressure in the blood vessels when the heart is at rest between beats
High, elevated, and normal blood pressure is usually defined in the following ranges:
What Foods Lower Blood Pressure?
- Honeydew melon
- Citrus fruits
- Note: grapefruit and grapefruit juice may interact with some blood pressure medications. Talk to your doctor before consuming grapefruit or grapefruit juice.
- Aronia berries (also called chokeberries)
What Lifestyle Changes Can Help Lower High Blood Pressure?
Lifestyle changes are typically the first-line treatment for hypertension, such as:
What Medications Are Used to Lower Blood Pressure?
When medications are needed to treat hypertension, they may include:
- ACE inhibitors
- Angiotensin II antagonists (ARBs)
- Calcium channel blockers
- Diuretics (“water pills”)
- Centrally-acting alpha adrenergics
- Peripherally acting alpha-adrenergic blockers
- Renin inhibitors
- Combination medicines, made up of two or more different kinds of blood pressure medicines
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors