What Are the Health Risks of Smoking vs. Drinking?: Cigarette smoking is a leading contributor to death and illness among Americans and drinking alcohol remains the number one drug problem in the U.S. There is growing evidence for genetic and biologic predispositions for alcoholism.
Must Read Articles:
Alcohol Effects in Nonalcoholic AdultsIn nonalcoholic adults, the effects of alcohol depend on the blood ethanol (alcohol) concentration. Effects range from impaired fine motor function, impaired judgment and coordination, to difficulty walking and balancing, lethargy, to coma, respiratory depression, and potential death.
Alcohol IntoxicationAlcohol intoxication is defined as when the quantity of alcohol the person consumes produces behavioral or physical abnormalities. Alcohol is the generic term for ethanol. A person who is intoxicated with alcohol they may have euphoria, poor coordination and movement, poor judgment, memory loss, slurred speech, confusion, and even coma and death if the person consumed enough alcohol. Gender, coexisiting medical conditions, and medications may have an effect on the level of alcohol intoxication a person experiences.
AlcoholismAlcohol problems vary in severity from mild to life-threatening and affect the individual, the person's family, and society in numerous adverse ways. Signs of a drinking problem include insomnia, loss of employment, blackouts, depression, auto accidents, bruises, frequent falls, and anxiety. Treatment involves stabilization, detoxification, and rehabilitation of the alcohol-dependent person.
Cigarette SmokingCigarette smoking remains the leading cause of death and illness among Americans. Effects of smoking can cause cancers, emphysema, bronchitis, COPD, chronic cough, and more. Smoking cessation includes nicotine replacement therapy and behavioral therapy.
Smoking (Cigarette) Cigarette smoking remains the leading cause of death and illness among Americans. Effects of smoking can cause cancers, emphysema, bronchitis, COPD, chronic cough, and more. Smoking cessation includes nicotine replacement therapy and behavioral therapy.
Expert Views and News
- FDA Threatens to Remove e-Cigarettes From Market
- Cigarette Smoking Among U.S. High School Students
- 5.6 Million U.S. Children Premature Smoking Deaths
- Chantix May Treat Alcohol Dependence and Abuse
- Alcohol and a Good Night's Sleep Don't Mix
- Alcohol Adds 100 Calories a Day to Our Diet
- CDC: New Smoking Patterns Are Cause for Alarm
- After Bariatric Surgery, Alcohol Abuse More Likely
- CDC Launches Graphic Anti-Smoking Ad Campaign
- Current Smoking Rates Could Lead to Millions of TB Deaths
- Alcohol May Raise Risk of Irregular Heart Rhythm
- Cigarette Ads a Powerful Lure for Teen Smoking
- Alcohol Associated With Lower Risk of Arthritis
- Alcohol, Pot Abuse Linked to Same Genes
- Alcohol May Reduce Men's Heart Risk
- Cigarette Smoking's Decline Levels Off
- Computer Is an Ally in Quit-Smoking
- Alcohol Laws, Saving Lives