Bloating of the stomach and abdomen is usually a result of excess gas buildup in the large intestine (colon) that causes a distended abdomen. The colon bends a lot, and when air (gas) gets trapped in the bends, it may cause bloating, cramps, or sharp pains.
Causes of bloating of the stomach and abdomen include:
- Consumption of certain foods such as beans, some fruits and vegetables, dairy products, wheat, and carbonated beverages
- Swallowing air, which can occur while eating, drinking, or smoking
- Conditions that harm the digestive system
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
- Certain gynecological conditions
- Premenstrual syndrome (PMS)
What Are Symptoms of Bloating of the Stomach?
The main symptoms of bloating of the stomach and abdomen include:
- Abdominal distention
- Feeling of fullness in the belly
- Gas (flatulence)
See a doctor if the following symptoms accompany bloating:
How Is Bloating of the Stomach Diagnosed?
Bloating of the stomach and abdomen is a symptom of another underlying condition. To diagnose the cause of bloating, tests may include:
What Is the Treatment for Bloating of the Stomach?
Treatment for bloating of the stomach and abdomen depends on the cause and may include:
- Dietary changes
- Lactase supplements to help digest dairy products such as Lactaid
- Over-the-counter (OTC) medicines
- Digestive enzymes such as amylase, lipase, protease, or HCL to help relieve bloating
- Prescription medications
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors