- Fruit juices
- Vegetable juice
- Raw beet
- Skim milk
What Is High Blood Pressure?
High blood pressure (hypertension) is a condition in which the force of blood pumping through the arteries is consistently too high. When this occurs, the walls of the arteries are extended beyond their normal limit, which can lead to damage and scarring and put people at risk for heart attack, stroke, and kidney disease.
Blood pressure is expressed in two numbers:
- Systolic blood pressure (the first/top number): measures the pressure in the blood vessels when the heart beats
- Diastolic blood pressure (the second/bottom number): measures the pressure in the blood vessels when the heart is at rest between beats
High, elevated, and normal blood pressure is usually defined in the following ranges:
What Lifestyle Changes Can Help Lower Blood Pressure?
Lifestyle changes are typically the first-line treatment for hypertension, such as:
What Medications Treat High Blood Pressure?
When medications are needed to treat hypertension, they may include:
- ACE inhibitors
- Calcium channel blockers
- Peripherally acting alpha-adrenergic blockers
- Diuretics (“water pills”)
- Angiotensin II antagonists (ARBs)
- Centrally-acting alpha adrenergics
- Renin inhibitors
- Combination medicines, made up of two or more different kinds of blood pressure medicines
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors