How to Stop Diarrhea
Diet changes can often help stop diarrhea. Foods that help stop diarrhea are those that are easy-to-digest and binding, such as:
Other home remedies for diarrhea include:
- Drink plenty of fluids
- Good choices include liquids with sugar and salt, such as juice and broth
- Eat salty foods to help prevent dehydration
- Avoid food and drinks that are triggers such as milk
- Increase fiber intake
- Take over-the-counter (OTC) anti-diarrheal medicines
- Take probiotics
Treatment for diarrhea depends on the cause. Diet changes and home remedies are often sufficient and diarrhea will go away on its own with rest, hydration, and a bland diet. When treatment is needed it may include:
- Intravenous (IV) fluids to treat and prevent dehydration
- Anti-diarrheal medications
- Antibiotics, if diarrhea is caused by certain bacterial infections
- Stopping or changing medications (do not stop or change any medications without first talking to your doctor)
- Treating any underlying medical condition
What Are Symptoms of Diarrhea?
Diarrhea itself is a symptom of many different conditions. Symptoms that may accompany diarrhea include:
What Is the Cause of Diarrhea?
Causes of diarrhea may include:
How Is Diarrhea Diagnosed?
Diarrhea is diagnosed with a patient history that includes questions about how diarrhea occurs, when symptoms began, what you’ve eaten recently, the consistency of the stool, and whether there is blood in the stool.
A physical exam may be performed, and a stool sample may be taken to help determine the cause of the diarrhea.
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Digestive Disorders Resources