What Is Abilify?
Abilify (aripiprazole) is a second-generation antipsychotic (atypical antipsychotic) that alters brain chemical activity of dopamine and serotonin to improve thinking, mood, and behavior.
What Is Abilify Used to Treat?
Abilify is used to treat:
What Is the Most Common Side Effect of Abilify?
Common side effects of Abilify include:
- Stomach upset
- Excess saliva or drooling
- Choking or trouble swallowing
- Blurred vision
- Weight gain
- Sleep problems (insomnia)
Serious side effects of Abilify include:
- Involuntary, repetitive movements (tardive dyskinesia)
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS)
- Shaking (tremors)
- Muscle spasms
- Mental/mood changes (such as increased anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts)
- Trouble swallowing
- Restlessness (especially in the legs)
- Mask-like expression of the face
- Signs of infection (such as fever, persistent sore throat)
Health Solutions From Our Sponsors
Mental Health Resources
Reviewed on 10/22/2020