When to Visit the Dentist (cont.)
Routine Dental Care
Good dental care is the best way to prevent nontraumatic problems with your teeth.
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste and floss at least once a day.
- Frequent cleaning of your teeth and check-ups every 6 months with your dentist or dental hygienist are also important.
- Prepare for dental emergencies if you experience one by having an established relationship with a dentist. That way, you are more likely to get quick and proper treatment when needed.
Pictures of Tooth Problems
This tooth chipped while the person was eating nacho chips.Click to view larger image.
Notice the chipped tooth with the yellow appearance. The yellow area is dentin - the inside portion of the tooth that became exposed after the tooth cracked. Click to view larger image.
Medically reveiwed by Kenneth Rotskoff, MD, DDS; Board Certified Dentistry, Oral/Maxillofacial Surgery
1. Camp JH. Diagnosis and management of sports-related injuries to the teeth. Dent Clin North Am. Oct 1991;35(4):733-56. [Medline].
2. McTigue DJ. Diagnosis and management of dental injuries in children. Pediatr Clin North Am. Oct 2000;47(5):1067-84. [Medline].
3. Nelson LP, Shusterman S. Emergency management of oral trauma in children. Curr Opin Pediatr. Jun 1997;9(3):242-5. [Medline].
4. Waldrop RD, Ho B, Reed S. Increasing frequency of dental patients in the urban ED. Am J Emerg Med. Oct 2000;18(6):687-9. [Medline].
Medically Reviewed by a Doctor on 11/20/2017
Joseph A Salomone III, MD
Francisco Talavera, PharmD, PhD
Must Read Articles Related to When to Visit the Dentist
Gingivitis is an inflammation of the gums surrounding the teeth. Gingivitis is caused by a bacterial infection of the gums. Symptoms may include pain, redness, ...learn more >>
Wilderness: Tooth Squeeze
Tooth squeeze is a painful condition that occurs during the ascent while scuba diving. As the scuba diver ascends to the surface, air that has become trapped in...learn more >>
Patient Comments & Reviews
The eMedicineHealth doctors ask about When to Visit the Dentist: